Is the Emperor of Man Evil?

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Is the Emperor of Man Evil?

Post by Stravo »

The fluff states that the Emperor is aware even though he is plugged into his Golden Throne. Considering the state of the Imperium with its runaway corruption that grinds people under their medieval like boot heel you have to wonder why the Emperor hasn't intervened in some way. Just a telepathic audience with the Lords of Terra telling them "This has to stop." Would be enough.

However through his inaction is he giving a tacit approval to what the Imperium has become.

To be clear on my point, I am making a very basic assumption that under the Emperor's direct rule (pre Horus heresy) the Imperium wasn't run like a medieval insitution obssessed with his divinity and treating men like cogs in a great machine. If I'm wrong and the IoM was always like what we see in 'currrent' WH40K timeline then I have to wonder is the Emperor a heroic figure at all? Are all the factions villains then?
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

The latest Horus Heresy book mentions that while he was alive (as in 'normal' alive, not 'crippled and on life support' alive like he is now) he actively supressed the growing movement to venerate him as a god. Also his chosen representative (Horus) tended to use diplomacy first instead of violence and IIRC there was mention of alien protectorates (as opposed to the xenophobic IoM of the future).

I believe he was a good man, just that now he has evil people acting 'on his behalf' using what they believe were his intentions.

If he does have the power to tell the High Lords to stop, then my guess as to why he doesn't is that it would probably cause a schism. Most of the IoM is brainwashed into thinking what is happening now is his wish, so if someone suddenly comes along and says it isn't? There's going to be a good old believers vs unbelievers fight to the death. I'd also bet that the High Lords would be rather reluctanct to change a system that is working nicely for them.
Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

He was raised in prehistoric turkey, and has lived through all our fuedalism and general shitsticks. What's more, he's seen all social progressivism fail in his lifetime, I doubt he cares much about people being repressed peasants. Chances are, he considers it normal. And yes, he's evil - in that he is determined that his race should conquer all others regardless of consequences or suffering. He's caused the extermination of various entire sapient species. His innocent-deaths count, just from the crusade alone, must be thousands of times Stalin or Mao's.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Crom
Jedi Council Member

Post by Crom »

From what I've come to understand the GEoM is currently locked in constant battle with the Chaos Gods. This conflict is so overwhelmingly consuming of his time that he can't divert his attention from it.

Of course during that whole Vandire thing he raised a Warp Storm (well, it's attributed to him) and communicated with the Sisters of Battle.

I wonder if it isn't so much that he approves but is acting on knowledge we don't necessarily have access to, Eldar Farseers can see the future, and the GEoM has powers that should vastly outstrip theirs.

I also wonder if it's a possibility that the GEoM is being driven insane by his slow metamorphosis into a Chaos God.
"Our people were meant to be living gods, warrior-poets who roamed the stars bringing civilization, not cowards and bullies who prey on the weak and kill each other for sport. I never imagined they'd prove themselves so inferior. I didn't betray our people – they betrayed themselves."

-Gaheris Rhade, Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

He seems (at least to me) not so much evil as he is utterly pitiless in the pursuit of his goal, which is to ensure that Mankind is dominant and doesn't get eaten alive by the chaos gods. In the pursuit of that goal, the well-being of any particular individual, or world, would seem like nothing to him.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

From what I've read, he struck me more as amoral than immoral. It just seems that in his pursuit to install mankind as the supreme power over, well, everything, everything and everyone is ultimately expendable. He's definately not a very nice person though.
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

He isn't actively evil. However, he IS an unsympathetic bastard akin to prequel Yoda who takes such a long view of things that he forgets the consequences of what he's doing to bring those goals about. I think his biggest mistake was forgetting that people are people: they are random, emotional, and sometimes broken somehow. Otherwise he would never have let primarchs like Alpharius and Night Haunter or Angron get away from him.
JADAFETWA
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

Originally Posted by NecronLord:{/b]
He's caused the extermination of various entire sapient species. His innocent-deaths count, just from the crusade alone, must be thousands of times Stalin or Mao's.

Apart from the Laer, what other nameless alien races did the Emperor eradicate during the Great Crusads?

And wasn't the total destruction of the really Fulgrim's responsibility and not the Emperor's, plus their was earlier mention of certain alien races ending up in protectorates - heck even the Laer was going to be part of a protectorate until the pretentious, ultra xenophobic Fulgrim decided to jump the gun and slaughter them all with his own space marines.

The God Emperor of Man is certainly very evil by our present day standards; but in comparison to the Chaos gods, the C'Tan or the Tyranids he's a fucking saint. I wouldn't say that the Emperor's obsession for the total domination of humanity over others is really a good thing - Adolf Hitler was fatally obssessed for the total domination of the German Volk and he certainly not painted as a good guy in the history for believing that...
Base Delta Zero
Padawan Learner

Post by Base Delta Zero »

He seems (at least to me) not so much evil as he is utterly pitiless in the pursuit of his goal, which is to ensure that Mankind is dominant and doesn't get eaten alive by the chaos gods. In the pursuit of that goal, the well-being of any particular individual, or world, would seem like nothing to him.
That's pretty much textbook evil, considering, not just a few individuals or worlds are screwed, but the entire thing is messed up.

But anyways, I doubt the High Lords really care what the Emperor wants - I got the impression they're in it solely for themselves. Do we really even know whether he's ever given someone a telepathic message while in the golden throne, besides what some people say?

Of course, it could be that the Emperor can see the future, and knows that the Imperium will get better once chaos is defeated etc (can chaos be defeated?), so for now, it's opression is 'acceptable'
Darth Wong wrote:If the Church did driver training, they would try to get seatbelts outlawed because they aren't 100% effective in preventing fatalities in high-speed car crashes, then they would tell people that driving fast is a sin and chalk up the skyrocketing death toll to God's will. And homosexuals, because homosexuals drive fast.
Peptuck wrote: I don't think magical Borg adaptation can respond effectively to getting punched by a planet.
DocHorror
Rabid Monkey

Post by DocHorror »

Long ago the Emperor decided, 'The End justifys the Means.' Looking at him from our point of view he can be construed as 'evil' - at least to an extent. From the internal point of view of 40k he's fairly 'good' - at least from mankinds perspective. If you're a filthy Xenos then he's not so hot.

Personally I'll always think of the Emperor as good. Doing everything he can to ensure the survival of mankind & making sure we become top-dogs in a Galaxy full of nasty, horrible, things that want to see us all dead.
Skelron
Jedi Master

Re: Is the Emperor of Man Evil?

Post by Skelron »

Stravo wrote: If I'm wrong and the IoM was always like what we see in 'currrent' WH40K timeline then I have to wonder is the Emperor a heroic figure at all? Are all the factions villains then?
During the last World wide campaign Games Workshop did not have Good/Evil or Evil Light-Dark as the designations for the 40K factions. It was Order and Disorder. In 40K it's really a choice between Evil and EVIL. Between being crushed under the heels of a beurcratic machine or being Slaughtered for fun by a bunch of nutjobs.

The Imperium is bad really bad, and maybe the Emps gives his if not support then at least his consent to a brutal regime the likes of which has not been seen before, BUT it's still better than the Chaos alternative. (No Really it is, Traitor General shows us what the Chaos alternative is.
From a review of the two Towers.... 'As for Gimli being comic relief, what if your comic relief had a huge axe and fells dozens of Orcs? That's a pretty cool comic relief. '
Tasoth
Sith Devotee

Post by Tasoth »

The Emperor is evil in that he is a callous bastard who doesn't care for the individual or alien races. He's good in the fact that he is stopping at nothing to ensure that mankind survives and doesn't have to worry about being threatened by destruction from anything no matter what it costs.
I've committed the greatest sin, worse than anything done here today. I sold half my soul to the devil. -Ivan Isaac, the Half Souled Knight

Mecha Maniac
18-Till-I-Die
Emperor's Hand

Post by 18-Till-I-Die »

From OUR perspective, as humans, the Emperor is a good guy. He's looking out for the survival of humanity, in a way you could say he's a humanist extremist.

But by the same token, he's evil from every OTHER race's perspective.

Though he is not, from what i know, opposed to letting races other than humans survive if they are quiet and not dangerous at all.

In the long run he cant do anything though because he's using every fiber of his being to fight against Chaos and so he cant stop the Imperium. But the Imperium as it is is not what he wanted, in a way its the opposite of what he intended.

He didnt intend to be worshiped, or to have technological backsliding, or to have stagnation or such brutality. These things are AGAINST human survival not for it, he wouldnt have gone for anything against human survival.

He's the Warp God of Mankind, his only goal in life is to see to the survival of the human race and the fulfilments of our needs above all else. Including the lives of any other race, or any human who could place our future in danger.

So, as i personally see no problem in looking out for mankind first and aliens second, i wouldnt say he's "evil" just that he's very narrow minded.
Kanye West Saves.

Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

Originally Posted by 18-Till-I-Die:
So, as i personally see no problem in looking out for mankind first and aliens second, i wouldnt say he's "evil" just that he's very narrow minded.
But Adolf Hitler, Heinrich Himmler and Reinhard Heydrich were all very narrow minded and so were the worst dictatorships in human history; how can the Emperor of Mankind be any better?

And he caused destruction on an epic and galaxy wide scale, even though he's supposedly doing it for the good of humanity. But WH40K is all about moral relativism anyway and the Emperor is not pure, outright evil in comparison to the C'Tan or Chaos gods.
18-Till-I-Die
Emperor's Hand

Post by 18-Till-I-Die »

Big Orange wrote:
Originally Posted by 18-Till-I-Die:
But Adolf Hitler, Heinrich Himmler and Reinhard Heydrich were all very narrow minded and so were the worst dictatorships in human history; how can the Emperor of Mankind be any better?
Because they werent trying to ensure humanity's survival they were trying to get power. There is a difference in the goals of Hitler and the goals of the Emperor.

And dont start with that calling me a Nazi shit. :roll:

Do i want to exterminate all alien life, no. Am i going to get horribly upset if humanity conquers the galaxy, also no.

YOU are a human, what do you think the Eldar will do to you? Blow you kisses? How about the Orks? The Nids? Necrons?

Face it, in 40k, maybe even in the real universe, its survival of the fittest. If humanity remained content to hold the cock of every ET we ever met we'd end up exterminated by someone just as bad as the current Imperium.

We NEED the Emperor's brutality to fucking survive.
Kanye West Saves.

18-Till-I-Die
Emperor's Hand

Post by 18-Till-I-Die »

BTW notice thats what i said also, "I dont have any problem putting humanity's survival as my first priority"

In other words, i will look out for YOU and ME before i try protecting little green men from the Astartes.

Do i value human life over aliens? Sure. I dont want aliens exterminated like teh current Imperium, or think they should be enslaved like the Galactic Empire, but i sure as hell dont want them to get the upper hand on us either.

Know why? Because i'm HUMAN i dont want my species to become extinct trying to play fair when everyone else is cheating.
Kanye West Saves.

NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

As usual, I will point out that there's no proof that the C'tan eat people at anything like the rate the Emperor does. The evidence suggests their raids are ultra-rare.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Currald
Jedi Knight
Location: Portland, Oregon, North America, Tellus, Sol System, First Galaxy

Post by Currald »

As I see it, the Imperium is doing, in broad, what the Emperor needs it to do. It is:

1. Ensuring humanity's physical survival through military and diplomatic means.

2. Controlling psykers by destroying the ones which are out of control and training those which can be controlled.

3. Maintaining the Astronomican.

These are the things which need to be done if the Emperor is to attain his goal: shepherding humanity into its new form as a psychic race, one with the warp and free of the pernicious influence of the Chaos Gods. The Imperium is doing its job; maybe not the best job possible, but if it ain't broke...
Clear Ether, Currald
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Personally the first thing I thought when I read about the Emperor in the Golden Throne was that he wasn't giving any orders whatsoever, and those carrying out "his will" are really just carrying out their own while pretending to speak for him- like the Papacy. :)
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

Vympel wrote:Personally the first thing I thought when I read about the Emperor in the Golden Throne was that he wasn't giving any orders whatsoever, and those carrying out "his will" are really just carrying out their own while pretending to speak for him- like the Papacy. :)
For the vast majority of cases, that is the situation. The High Lords "interperate" the will of the Emperor and issues edicts in His name.
For a brief time after his incarceration in the Throne he was able to speak on occasions, possibly ordering the Grey Knights at this time, then he lost the ability.

As for being evil, you have to consider the galaxy that the IoM exists in. You try to be nice there, give every citizen the rights and freedoms we do, treat aliens as neighbours etc. and in a very short time the Imperium will be destroyed and deamons will be running rampant through all the unstable psykers who are now left alive.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Ancient Egyptian Blessing

Ivanova is always right.
I will listen to Ivanova.
I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God.
AND, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out! - Babylon 5 Mantra

There is no "I" in TEAM. There is a ME however.
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

I choose to believe he's good, overall, in a harsh universe, in a galaxy full of war, he's looking out for us, taking the fight to the forces of hell in their domain, and like Jack Bauer, he understands the sorts of sacrifices you've got to make in order to get to the best goal. He'd kill his own children for the sake of the rest of us.

He is probably apathetic of common suffering because he's seen the terrors of the warp, he's known them for millennia. Normal life being made slightly better becomes a totally unimportant goal when you've looked chaos in the eye. Survival against that is what truly matters, and that can be best brought about by human dominance in the galaxy.

It's possible that if all went to plan, the humans are supreme and he got a new body, he'd be alright to talk to, if he wasn't irreparably scarred by his extremely long experience, and would help kittens out of trees and such for little girls.

If he did fix the galaxy of all antihuman threats, what would his next goal be? A culture-like utopia? Or would he make an intergalactic fleet and continue the fight against the beings in new galaxies?
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

The survival of the human race is the ultimate moral imperative.
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

Just wondering, was the Imperium under the Emperor in favor of exterminating every single alien in existance? I ask because i know the more evil stuff in the Imperium is not the Emperor's fault but that of the High Lords.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Crom
Jedi Council Member

Post by Crom »

Has anyone noticed that the current state of the IoM, and the state it's been in for thousands of years, is not assuring humanity's survival? The IoM has been in continual decline since practically the Heresy. The Tyranids are coming up, the C'tan are loose, and the Traitor Legions and the Forces of Chaos are, if anything, stronger than the times of the Heresy (as far as I know they aren't declining anyway.)

The IoM is corrupt (both by humans, Chaos, and C'tan), running out of irreplaceable technology and resources (gene-seed), and out-numbered by the Tyranids.

Unless GW actively does something humanity is totally fucked.
"Our people were meant to be living gods, warrior-poets who roamed the stars bringing civilization, not cowards and bullies who prey on the weak and kill each other for sport. I never imagined they'd prove themselves so inferior. I didn't betray our people – they betrayed themselves."

-Gaheris Rhade, Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

In 40K everyone is totally fucked in some capacity or another.