Next big Sci-Fi series

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Invictus ChiKen
Jedi Council Member

Next big Sci-Fi series

Post by Invictus ChiKen »

Okay Star Wars has ended, Star Trek has hopefully died.

So what will be the next series to take there place as the big two?

Star Gate? Battlestar Gallactica? Or somthing new?

For that matter if you could what would you over up as a replacement series?
"The real ideological schism in America is not Republican vs Democrat; it is North vs South, Urban vs Rural, and it has been since the 19th century."
-Mike Wong
The Guid
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Guid »

I hope that Dr. Who will take of in the US. In the UK I think its filling my sci-fi hole quite nicely.
Self declared winner of The Posedown Thread
EBC - "What? What?" "Tally Ho!" Division
I wrote this:The British Avengers fanfiction

"Yeah, funny how that works - you giving hungry people food they vote for you. You give homeless people shelter they vote for you. You give the unemployed a job they vote for you.

Maybe if the conservative ideology put a roof overhead, food on the table, and employed the downtrodden the poor folk would be all for it, too". - Broomstick
Glimmervoid
Jedi Master
Location: Some were in the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm.

Post by Glimmervoid »

A new one would be nice. Set in a dark universe maybe earth destroyed and humanity scattered and NOT THE MOST IMPORTANT SPECICES IN THE GALEXEY.

Maybe a show about a "pirate" ship with galactic politics as a background and a fairly realistic technological ability (apart from FTL).
18-Till-I-Die
Emperor's Hand

Post by 18-Till-I-Die »

If it were up to me, the movie Serenity would be the springboard for a new Firefly series.
Kanye West Saves.

Glimmervoid
Jedi Master

Post by Glimmervoid »

The Guid wrote:I hope that Dr. Who will take of in the US. In the UK I think its filling my sci-fi hole quite nicely.
That would be nice. And maybe a second spin off series (a reward to anyone who can name the first with out searching the internet).
FedRebel
Jedi Master

Re: Next big Sci-Fi series

Post by FedRebel »

Invictus ChiKen wrote:Okay Star Wars has ended, Star Trek has hopefully died.

So what will be the next series to take there place as the big two?
The SW TV series and Stargate
DocHorror
Rabid Monkey

Post by DocHorror »

That would be nice. And maybe a second spin off series (a reward to anyone who can name the first with out searching the internet).
K9?
Glimmervoid
Jedi Master

Post by Glimmervoid »

DocHorror wrote:
K9?
Yep thats right and your prize is knowing how well you did.
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

Glimmervoid wrote:A new one would be nice. Set in a dark universe maybe earth destroyed and humanity scattered and NOT THE MOST IMPORTANT SPECICES IN THE GALEXEY.
In other words, Titan A.E.: The Series.
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@
Glimmervoid
Jedi Master

Post by Glimmervoid »

neoolong wrote:
Glimmervoid wrote:A new one would be nice. Set in a dark universe maybe earth destroyed and humanity scattered and NOT THE MOST IMPORTANT SPECICES IN THE GALEXEY.
I also said technology realistic not having ships that make planets.
wolveraptor
Sith Marauder

Post by wolveraptor »

And not having aliens "made of energy" and being able to miraculous change the fundamental workings of your ship to "absorb" that energy. :wanker: :wanker:

I'd like one set in an alternate universe where dinosaurs never went extinct and bird-like dromaeosaurid descendants became the planet's dominant species.
"If one needed proof that a guitar was more than wood and string, that a song was more than notes and words, and that a man could be more than a name and a few faded pictures, then Robert Johnson’s recordings were all one could ask for."

- Herb Bowie, Reason to Rock
Glimmervoid
Jedi Master

Post by Glimmervoid »

wolveraptor wrote:And not having aliens "made of energy" and being able to miraculous change the fundamental workings of your ship to "absorb" that energy. :wanker: :wanker:

I'd like one set in an alternate universe where dinosaurs never went extinct and bird-like dromaeosaurid descendants became the planet's dominant species.
There was a show like that it was based off a novel but in never got past the polite in Briton(don’t now about the rest of the world). The dinosaurs lived in secret among humans.
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Glimmervoid wrote:There was a show like that it was based off a novel but in never got past the polite in Briton(don’t now about the rest of the world). The dinosaurs lived in secret among humans.
The Sci-Fi channel did a movie along those lines...Anonymous Rex
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Glimmervoid
Jedi Master

Post by Glimmervoid »

Dalton wrote:
Glimmervoid wrote:There was a show like that it was based off a novel but in never got past the polite in Briton(don’t now about the rest of the world). The dinosaurs lived in secret among humans.
The Sci-Fi channel did a movie along those lines...Anonymous Rex
That was it. It was showen on sky one hear though.
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

I'd go for some quality Retro-Fantasy-Scifi. I suppose Crimson Skies counts in that category. You know, a less-crapified Sky Captain. As long as the new show's storyline is imaginative and not 'Captain Hero/Heroine and his/her crew of mixed characters adventuring across the galaxy' stuff we've seen way too much of.
Gunhead
Jedi Council Member

Post by Gunhead »

I really hope we get something other than this regular captain & crew meeting the forehead alien of the week. Anything with an edge to it will do.
I want down to earth stuff, it sickens me when in every sci-fi series the earth/home/planet/so and so is in danger and insert stupid plot "our heroes save things in the nick of time".

Firefly had potential and hopefully something similar atleast feel wise appears.

-Gunhead
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
-Generalfeldmarschall Erwin Rommel

"And if you don't wanna feel like a putz
Collect the clues and connect the dots
You'll see the pattern that is bursting your bubble, and it's Bad" -The Hives
18-Till-I-Die
Emperor's Hand

Post by 18-Till-I-Die »

I've always had an idea for a series about the first human explorers in the first human-built 'hyperlight' starship, Pathforger, and they travel around exploring the galaxy and basically putting humanity's boot print on the niverse for the first time.

In the opener, they run afoul of the evil warrior race known as the Khan Empire, a race of eight foot tall leonine warriors with Space Marine-esque battle armor and huge 'planetoid' warships. They end up helping the feline cousins of the Khans, the Khyr'n, rebel and free their homeworld. Eventually the Khans attack Earth directly, but the Pathforger leads them into Jupiter's core where they trigger their hyperlight drives and ignite Jupiter into a star killing the Khan Emperor. His son, Zai, becomes the new Emperor and swears vengence against humanity...thus, in, like, the first week in space mankind has pissed off a race that could curbstomp the Galactic Empire...and it only gets more cooky from there.

Basically i was thinking sort of a Skylark-ish fantasy sci-fi, with modern FX to flesh it out. No Forehead of the Week aliens here; the first two races we meet would, probably, have to be completely Cg to match what i'm thinking in fact. Later a race of sentient Centipedes called the Gaur pop up, trying to seal off our sun in a dyson sphere as a power source, and later the half-human half-amphibian Atlans start making a scene.
Kanye West Saves.

Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

What should the next big production Sci-Fi Series be???

...A full CGI "Invader Zim' from the prespective the Tallests taking over the Galaxy... THAT would be cool.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

Glimmervoid wrote:
neoolong wrote:
I also said technology realistic not having ships that make planets.
Meh. Close enough. :D
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@
SyntaxVorlon
Sith Acolyte

Post by SyntaxVorlon »

I would find it damn incredible if Sci-fi picked up Anime again and showed good scifi series.

SG1 and SGA look good, and I have heard lots of good things about Galactica, though I can't seem to get into it.
I would like to see a good new series that could do what Farscape did.
WE, however, do meddle in the affairs of others.
What part of [ Image,Image, N(Image) ] don't you understand?
Skeptical Armada Cynic: ROU Aggressive Logic
SDN Ranger: Skeptical Ambassador
EOD
Mr Golgotha, Ms Scheck, we're running low on skin. I suggest you harvest another lesbian!
Falkenhayn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Falkenhayn »

Hyperion.

+http://www.dansimmons.com/news/movies.htm
HYPERION: THE MOVIE – rumors and reality
There have been a lot of recent rumors and queries regarding the status of the movie option on the four Hyperion novels. Dan recently gave this response to some of those queries – “Yes, Virginia, there is a Hyperion movie in the works. It has been optioned by a top-notch studio, is slated to be directed by a top-name director, and already has the involvement of a top-flight movie star. Screenwriters have been attached to the project and a first draft screenplay is expected soon.

The reason the details haven’t appeared here on this web site or elsewhere is that the studio and producers have the prerogative of announcing the deal before anyone else, and so far they haven’t chosen to do so, although the rumors of the option have appeared in print in various places.”
ILIUM-OLYMPOS movie deal signed with Digital Domain
The following news item appeared in the January 9, 2004, issue of VARIETY
'Ilium,' 'Olympos' optioned for epic
Bain, Domain plan film on Simmons sci-fi saga

By MARC GRASER, JONATHAN BING

Visual effects facility Digital Domain and Barnet Bain Films ("What Dreams May Come") have optioned author Dan Simmons' sci-fi novel "Ilium" and its sequel, "Olympos," to adapt into a feature film.

Simmons, who will also pen the screenplay, is an award-winning sci-fi writer. His "Hyperion" saga is a multi-volume space opera widely compared to the "Dune" series.

"Ilium," published in July by the Eos imprint of HarperCollins, is another epic sci-fi tale that spans 5,000 years and sweeps across the entire solar system, including themes and characters from Homer's "The Iliad" and Shakespeare's "The Tempest."

"Olympos" will be released in 2005, providing "Ilium's" producers with a potential franchise.

Producer Barnet Bain brought "Ilium" to Digital Domain topper Scott Ross. The two will produce the pic, while Simmons will serve as an executive producer.

Duo next plan to approach directors and create a visual representation of the book to showcase the cinematic elements of the novel as a way to land distribution and attract a cast for the film.

"We're thrilled about working with Dan and Barnet on this compelling property," Ross said. "'Ilium' affords us a great opportunity to develop this film and find a visionary filmmaker capable of handling this bold landscape."

"Ilium" joins several other films Digital Domain is developing in-house, shepherded by development exec Kevin Cooper. Facility, currently busy creating effects shots for Fox's "Day After Tomorrow" and "I, Robot," has been looking to boost revenues and expand its efforts beyond solely serving as a work-for-hire effects shop. It most recently completed sequences for "Peter Pan," from Universal, Revolution and Sony. "Secondhand Lions," distribbed by New Line last September, was its first production, generating $42 million at the domestic B.O.

Bain produced "What Dreams May Come," for which Digital Domain created the majority of the visual effects sequences and won an Oscar for its work. His other credits include the television movie "Homeless to Harvard."

Simmons is repped by Richard Curtis Associates and The Firm. Molly Hansen negotiated the deal Posted: Thurs., Jan. 8, 2004, 10:00pm PM
Losonti Tokash
Sith Devotee

Post by Losonti Tokash »

I wonder how well a series set in the Halo-verse about a unit of Marines would be received. A bit like that CGI Starship Troopers show that used to be on.

They might have some trouble getting people to like a show where the good guys lose most of the time and the victories they do get are largely meaningless. And unless massive character shields were involved, they'd burn through actors fairly quickly, too.
Srynerson
Jedi Knight

Re: Next big Sci-Fi series

Post by Srynerson »

Invictus ChiKen wrote:So what will be the next series to take their place as the big two?

Star Gate? Battlestar Galactica? Or somthing new?
I may be wrong, but I don't think any future science fiction film or television series will rival Star Wars or Star Trek for their cultural impact. The market is too fragmented and the fanboy culture is too spoiled and whiny. Babylon 5, Stargate SG-1, Farscape, etc., are great shows, but they have near zero penetration on the popular consciousness. :?

For that matter if you could what would you offer up as a replacement series?
A series with harder science (e.g., no psychic powers, and for the love of God and all that is holy, NO time travel), with FTL travel being the sole exception. The storyline would give a great deal of consideration to the politics of the governing systems. (But, as I've said in other fora, I would watch a Star Wars version of West Wing, so I'm not the ideal programmer.)
Mr. B
Jedi Knight

Post by Mr. B »

I would love it if Stargate became as popular as Star Wars or Trek. Ive been watching Stargate for years and thinks its the best sci fi show on TV. But lately I think that Battlestar Galactica could usurp the throne and become my new show. Unless Sci-Fi Cancells it.
"I got so high last night I figured out how clouds work." - the miracle of marijuana

Legalize It!

Proud Member of the local 404 Professional Cynics Union.

"Every Revolution carries within it the seeds of its own destruction."-Dune
Glimmervoid
Jedi Master

Post by Glimmervoid »

Mr. B wrote:I would love it if Stargate became as popular as Star Wars or Trek. Ive been watching Stargate for years and thinks its the best sci fi show on TV. But lately I think that Battlestar Galactica could usurp the throne and become my new show. Unless Sci-Fi Cancells it.
That would be nice to have stargate come up to starwars/startrek level but I don’t see it happening. And for some reason I just don’t like battlestar galactica that much.

I am off the opinion that we need a new show that deals with the darker side of human nature (like Jeremiah did before it got kicked maybe minuses the sex though and set in space). It would be an examination of the animal nature of humans when realised from a rigid setting. It would depict a ship and its crew and thought there action galactic politics and the current state of humanity. And the most important thing I want to see HUMANITY IS NOT TO BE THE MOST IMPRORT SPECIES IN THE GALXEY AND INFACT NOT EVEN IN THE TOP 10.