Countdown of powerful 40K beings.

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

constantine
Padawan Learner

Countdown of powerful 40K beings.

Post by constantine »

I've always wondered who are the top 10 (or 20, or 30) most powerful 40K beings and how would they rank.

- Assume beings are at the height of their power.
white_rabbit
Jedi Council Member

Post by white_rabbit »

Unranked.

Nightbringer
Outsider
The Void Dragon
The Deciever
The Emperor
The Primarchs
Khaela Mensha Khaine
Khorne
Tzeentch
Slaanesh
Nurgle
The Harlequin
Assorted Daemon "kings" (Doombreed, N'kari, Ghargatuloth, Sha'ha Gaathon, etc)
white_rabbit
Jedi Council Member

Post by white_rabbit »

Damn, the primarchs have a sub-list of their own anyway :D

I have included Khaine as a separate entity from Khorne, as Liber Chaotica Slaanesh differentiates between the two.

Khaine is a corrupted necro-dermis from the Nightbringer, possessed by the Eldar aspect of Khorne.
DocHorror
Rabid Monkey

Post by DocHorror »

This could be difficult, we can safely say that the Emperor is the most powerful non-C'tan being in the 40k universe. So its hard to say who is more powerful, the Emperor or a C'tan
2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

I wouldn't put the primachs in there. they seem to be powerful in Human terms (Superhuman strength, resilience, intelligence,etc.) while the others are powerful in Godlike terms (planet killing, massive psychic powers, general godlike powers, etc.).

IIRC only one of the primachs (Magnus the Red) had any strong talent for psychic powers (Before assending to deamonhood in the case of the Chaotic primachs). Some of the others may have shown some basic prediction of the future, but apart from that Magnus no major powers have been noted AFAIK.
Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!
Grand Admiral Ancaris
Jedi Knight

Post by Grand Admiral Ancaris »

white_rabbit wrote:Khaine is a corrupted necro-dermis from the Nightbringer, possessed by the Eldar aspect of Khorne.
He's not a necrodermis on his own, but his physical incarnation was tainted by the shards of Nightbringer's necrodermis when it failed.
Grand Admiral Ancaris

"Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege." --- Unknown

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Lumps, for they are always angry and never subtle." ---Dalton

"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish." ---Euripides
Skelron
Jedi Master

Post by Skelron »

Hmm it's hard to decide how to judge Khaine in his current form certainly at the rear of the God's he is limited to his Avatars only. a huge drop from his previous levels!

before that he would have been a Warp God, and so likely somewhere akin to the Chaos Gods. (Assuming he isn't an aspect of Khorne... which seems unlikely in many ways.)

The Harlequin is either also a Warp God or a Old One, and so while below the ctan at full power still high on the scale. (his power was more in his intellect and cunning than in what he could directly do, and was amongest the weakest of the leading Old ones... of course that still makes him a God.)

The Emps. at full power... well he'd likely head up that table, assuming that full power would include being Dead. If it is power he has held rather than Power he has the potentail to have, he certainly lie on a level with the Chaos Gods...

Luckily the Chaos Gods are fairly easy to sort out into rankings, having I think it been given somepoint in the past... Although I cannot recall what the where.

NecronLord should be able to give us the official Ctan power rankings... So we can put that into a list At Least that much can be done.

In the end through it's hard to put different Sub Groups into some sort of order, while fairly easy to work out the power rankings inside a Sub Group. For instance is a Chaos God more powerful than a Ctan? Is a Ctan more powerful than the Emporer? Etc.
From a review of the two Towers.... 'As for Gimli being comic relief, what if your comic relief had a huge axe and fells dozens of Orcs? That's a pretty cool comic relief. '
constantine
Padawan Learner

Post by constantine »

Skelron wrote:For instance is a Chaos God more powerful than a Ctan? Is a Ctan more powerful than the Emporer? Etc.
That's what I'm wondering, myself.

From all I've heard, the C'Tan would probably be at the top of the list - followed by the GEoM - followed by the Chaos Gods. From there, I'm clueless...
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

The official top four.
  1. The Void-Dragon, greatest of the C'tan, Machine God.
  2. The Nightbringer, Bringer of Death
  3. The Outsider, Lord of Insanity.
  4. The Deceiver, Weakest of the C'tan.
Note that numbers two and three may be reversed at your leisure

IMO now...
  5. The Immortal God Emperor of Mankind.
  6. The Great Chaos Gods, much of a muchness.
  7. The Hive Mind of the Tyranids
  8. Asurmen and the other Eldar Gods.
  9. Malal, Lesser Chaos God
  10. Harlequin
  11. Chaos Primarchs.
  12. Primarchs.
  13. Demon Kings
  14. Demon Princes of normal stock and Greater Demons.
Last edited by NecronLord on 2004-07-03 01:14pm, edited 1 time in total.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
consequences
Homicidal Maniac

Post by consequences »

No Gork and Mork? Anti-Ork discrimination I say! :)
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

NecronLord wrote: IMO now...
  5. The Immortal God Emperor of Mankind.
  6. The Great Chaos Gods, much of a muchness.
  7. The Hive Mind of the Tyranids
  8. Gork & Mork
  9. Asurmen and the other Eldar Gods.
  10. Malal, Lesser Chaos God
  11. Harlequin
  12. Chaos Primarchs.
  13. Primarchs.
  14. Demon Kings
  15. Demon Princes of normal stock and Greater Demons.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
white_rabbit
Jedi Council Member

Post by white_rabbit »

Grand Admiral Ancaris wrote:
white_rabbit wrote:Khaine is a corrupted necro-dermis from the Nightbringer, possessed by the Eldar aspect of Khorne.
He's not a necrodermis on his own, but his physical incarnation was tainted by the shards of Nightbringer's necrodermis when it failed.
*Shrug*

splitting hairs if you ask me. Khorne/khaines molten flesh melded with a Necrodermis, I feel that the pure energy of the warp being is why the shards of Khorne/khaine that got scattered formed into individual, if linked entities when combined with a material that only requires energy to grow.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wouldn't put the primachs in there. they seem to be powerful in Human terms (Superhuman strength, resilience, intelligence,etc.) while the others are powerful in Godlike terms (planet killing, massive psychic powers, general godlike powers, etc.).
I think they are worth putting in, simply for the fun debates about who made who their bitch :D

Angron roolz U!!
No Gork and Mork? Anti-Ork discrimination I say!
I'm not certain that the Orkish gods have ever really manifested like the others, they seem content to be a source of power and inspiration to their people, rather than directly intervening. morally I suppose, the Orks might just have the best gods :D (points of view argument BTW)

Having read NLs list, it might be worth clarifying whether this list is going to ignore whos dead :D

Cause the majority of the Eldar Gods are STONE dead :D
And I think the official GW position is that Malal no longer exists in the continuity,

I'd be interested none the less to see the reasoning behind his position NL ?

Also, a couple of the people/entities mentioned have powerlevels determined by their situation.

Lets not forget that a physically manifesting Engineer of Time (Tzeentchian DP) rips the top six decks off a Space Hulk, Greater Daemons in warp bleedthroughs can be the size of planets etc, but Sanguineous can break a Bloodthirster over his knee in the real world ;)

Then again, Sarpedon, a marine librarian with a Vortex blade (stable warp rift as a weapon) kills the Engineer of time or banishes him......said weapon being Rogal Dorns favorite weapon.

Also, I would not rate the powers of individual C'tan over those of the Chaos Gods, a weaker physical manifestation of Khorne defeated the physical manifestation of Nightbringer, Why rate him less powerful ?

I would think against all these powerful psykers and warp beings the C'tan are at a definate disadvantage, both sides can most definately hurt each other, and in several engagements, the C'tan have come away on the loosing side.

They are clearly vunerable to a large warp incursion/blast/etc, AFAICR that is what drove the Void Dragon away.

Without their support structure, the C'tan don't appear to have the Warp calming effect as an inherent ability, their great project from what I can tell seems to be a technological solution, not something they themselves are doing as entities.

As individuals, I would not place them above the chaos Gods, or possibly the Emperor, although if the Black hole generating ability is their own personal toy, then simply vaping the solar system hes in is a winning hand :D
constantine
Padawan Learner

Post by constantine »

The C'Tan could generate black holes?

BTW, is there a good site with some in-depth info on the C'Tan/Necrons? All the sites I've found have about a paragraph or two and that's it.
DocHorror
Rabid Monkey

Post by DocHorror »

Indeed I was going to ask Necron Lord about the reasoning behind his list, what evidence can he provide to say that the C'tan are more powerful that the Chaos Gods or the Emperor.

if there are quotes then great, we have proof, but if no quotes then....................................................?
Falkenhayn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Falkenhayn »

What about that quote of the GEoM constructing a psyonic bolt more powerful than a supernova and more coherent than a laser beam to defeat Horus?
Currald
Jedi Knight
Location: Portland, Oregon, North America, Tellus, Sol System, First Galaxy

Post by Currald »

Malal hasn't appeared in a GW publication for years, as GW doesn't own the copyright to the character. They have never, IIRC, disavowed his existence, though, and mention that other Chaos gods exists besides the big four. A Chaos Marine army of Malal won big-time in a recent Golden Daemon contest, for instance.

Gork and Mork do manifest here and there. While Chaos gods use Daemons as their avatars, Gork and Mork use Gargants. Your average Gargant can beat the tar out of your average greater daemon. Gork (or was is Mork?) was overseeing the construction site of the first Gargant and caused massive earthquakes, storms, etc., but his very presence. He was forced to withdraw as he was wrecking havok. Of course, the Orks found this to be quite inspirational. This is all from the book Titan Legions - Codex Titanicus. From the comments I've heard on this board, this book appears to be the finest Gork 'n Mork reference availabel!
Clear Ether, Currald
Grand Admiral Ancaris
Jedi Knight

NecronLord wrote:The official top four.
Note that numbers two and three may be reversed at your leisure
I would reverse 2 and 3. I don't think Nightbringer has quite recovered from his starvation yet, not to mention part of his power is still lost with his Flagship.
Grand Admiral Ancaris

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Lumps, for they are always angry and never subtle." ---Dalton

NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Grand Admiral Ancaris wrote: I would reverse 2 and 3. I don't think Nightbringer has quite recovered from his starvation yet, not to mention part of his power is still lost with his Flagship.
They're all at full power. Hence why I put them above the Emperor.
Malal hasn't appeared in a GW publication for years,
Meh, I found him in the Warhammer RPG book the other day.
Grand Admiral Ancaris
Jedi Knight

NecronLord wrote:They're all at full power. Hence why I put them above the Emperor.
Doh. Missed that. Nightbringer is awesome, but I still think even at full power he would be below Outsider at his max.
Grand Admiral Ancaris

NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Well, no evidence either way really.

And, incidentally, I suspect the full uber powered Deceiver would be quite able to consume the current incarnation of the Nightbringer. :wink:
white_rabbit
Jedi Council Member

Post by white_rabbit »

Outsider above the Nightbringer?

any reasoning ?

The Nightbringer munched on loads of his kin without any discernable effect, the Outsider munchs on them and goes bonkers......

:?:
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

white_rabbit wrote:Outsider above the Nightbringer?

any reasoning ?

The Nightbringer munched on loads of his kin without any discernable effect, the Outsider munchs on them and goes bonkers......
Presumably the Outsider gorged itself into insanity while the Nightbringer did it in relative moderation.
Tzeentch
Padawan Learner

Post by Tzeentch »

NecronLord wrote:They're all at full power. Hence why I put them above the Emperor.
Do you have any info on the Outsider? All I could find with a google search was weird speculation about him being the tyranid hive mind.
Meh, I found him in the Warhammer RPG book the other day.
Yeah, but the RPG is old (though a new edition is finally scheduled :D). GW did put a chaos marine chapter with Malal's colors called the "Sons of Malice" in the new chaos codex, implying that Malal is definately still there, even if they can't mention him by name or give him special rules.

Also, in WHFB, Malal's role (as a representation of the self-destructive nature of chaos), according to an interview I read, has been taken by Belakor, the Dark Master, who'll probably end up mucking up Archaeon's plans.
Tasoth
Sith Devotee

Post by Tasoth »

In the Necron Codex not much info is given about the Outsider other then he's 1.) He was banished, 2.) He's quite mad, 3.) He's quite powerful. Thats from memory, so if somethings wrong, someone who knows more about him feel free to correct.
I've committed the greatest sin, worse than anything done here today. I sold half my soul to the devil. -Ivan Isaac, the Half Souled Knight

Mecha Maniac
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Tzeentch wrote:Do you have any info on the Outsider?
There's a short piece on him from WD. Grand Admiral Arcanis has it typed up.