Captain America: Civil War thread

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Re: Captain America: Civil War thread

Post by Simon_Jester »

ArmorPierce wrote:The entire point to my comparison to democrats and republicans is that I am drawing parallels to actual real politics occurring today and apply actual political views.
Yes, you are, you've said so several times. The problem isn't that you're drawing parallels between the movie and politics. The problem is that your political views are those of an illiterate who slept through introductory social studies and got what he knows of history and political science off a chewing gum wrapper. Or (worse yet) listening to a half dozen election soundbites.
Belief in social oversight of individual actions is a left wing concept. Individual rights is a more nuanced issue and is not inherently in conflict with social oversight.
The left and right have both, throughout history for as long as there has been a left and a right, favored social oversight of some individual actions, and no social oversight of other actions. Which actions they think should be overseen varies. It would be trivially easy for me to prove this; would it shut you up if I did so or would you just keep spamming the same claim?
Captain America declares that he is against socialized oversight because he feels that responsibility is exercised best at an individual level. This reflects an anti-authority anti-regulation pro individualistic quasi-libertarian view.
Captain America does not say 'socialized' and 'socialized' does not mean what you think it means. Captain America is not talking about economic activity, the only area where the modern right wing is consistently opposed to regulation of anything. He is only an 'individualist' in that he believes individuals are responsible for their actions, which is not a 'right wing' idea in any meaningful sense. And he is 'quasi-libertarian' in almost NO sense, because 'libertarian' refers to economics, and hardly ever to personal rights in modern political discourse.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

FaxModem1 wrote:Now, according to Agents of SHIELD, Hydra has been utterly destroyed except for one small town led by an ancient Inhuman with mind control powers over other Inhumans. So if Crossbones wasn't working for Hive, who was he working for?

Hmm. It wouldn't be out of character for the group if Malik wasn't really the last of HYDRA.

Alternatively, the movies don't care what AoS says. :lol:
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

biostem wrote:Now, see, what they should have done was to keep someone in reserve strictly for the purpose of keeping civilians safe. I think the problem is that with everyone focused on fighting, they easily lose sight of the collateral damage.
That was the purpose of the Iron Legion- Stark has had a year to rebuild it. Or maybe he did and never thought to deploy it.

Anyone else a bit confused by Vision's phasing ability. It doesn't strike me as something the mind stone should be capable of. :?
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

How many times in the comics have HYDRA been 'eradicated' only to return in some form or another jn later storylines? I'm actually curious as I only have a slightly-above-cursory knowledge of the endlessly complicated lore.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: Anyone else a bit confused by Vision's phasing ability. It doesn't strike me as something the mind stone should be capable of. :?
Nor should he be able to fire frickin' laser beams out of his frickin' head, strictly speaking :P
Perhaps it just allows his mind total control over his physical body, right down to how his atoms interact with whatever he comes into contact with. Seems as straightforward an explanation as any to me.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Crown wrote:I must be dead inside because I'm really not getting hyped for this movie. I'll still see it in the cinema (probably) I guess.
Good news everyone! I'm not dead inside ... sorta. :twisted:

When the last trailer dropped and Spiderman was teased the whole world lost their motherfucking mind, except me. I was so 'meh' I might have been mehdicated .... (I'll get me coat).

Anyway, there was zero, and I mean ZERO fucking pump in me for Spidey - and to another extent this movie. But FUCK ME this movie just showed me the Spiderman I never knew I always wanted to see. Like wow, WOW. This kid was hilarious as Peter Parker, and casting Marisa Tomei as Aunt May, and then playing on the fact that his aunt is like ridiculously hot? GENIUS! I say genius! There's is nothing more I that I want from Marvel right now than this Spiderman movie. :D

Also, I kinda enjoyed the Ant-man movie, but wasn't too fussed about another one, but Rudd was awesome and I am looking forward to that movie too.

Now here's the rub ... and some of you may have noticed this already but I'm praising two auxiliary characters who only appear in the last section of Act 2/beginning of Act 3 of this movie. And there's a reason for this; I was painfully bored during large periods of this film.

Now, I'm pretty introspective so I had to ask myself while watching; am I hating on this movie for some reason? Am I being unfair due to my obvious DC Fanboi Kool-Aid imbibe-a-thon with my love for BvS? And I can say, with some measure of certainty; no. For both the questions. I just wasn't feeling it. The reason I say 'with some measure of certainty' is because I have actively gone into a movie expecting (and wanting) to hate its guts only to have my opinion swayed. The movie in question was 'The Hunger Games'; when I heard the premise of a movie I was being dragged to I was just rolling my eyes at the sheer stupidity of the setup. I went in there with my smirk face, cynic mid and deadpan humour ready to eviscerate it, and there was this moment of clarity when I realised two things;
  1. I was empathising with Katniss
  2. Jennifer Lawrence can mother fucking act the shit out of something. God damn!
So with the above in mind I looked at myself not 'being into' this movie and can honestly say I had nowhere near the 'hatred going in' (in fact I've been actively characterising it as apathy) and I have no problem with the actors in this movie, they can also act.

But for whatever reason; this movie was just 'not for me'. There was nothing for me to empathise with (or I wasn't). The fight scenes* where played back at increases speed which I found distracting. Or they held no weight as one character succinctly pointed out; 'you're pulling your punches'*. There were 'why' elements that seemed to serve no purpose (like why are German special forces raiding an apartment in Romania? or why does it appear that everyone is on the super soldier serum when I thought that's what made Cap special?), and the direction was 'sterile' for lack of a better term, not horrible, made with love and attention, but nothing 'beautiful'. It was a safe, colour by numbers Disney appeal to as many people as possible kind of deal.

My colleague saw it on the weekend as well, and he's the opposite of me; he avoided BvS (not a DC guy at all), loves Marvel comics and was taking his seven year old son. He was beyond hyped, we compared notes today and his son's review was pretty much my feeling; "this is the most boring Avengers [sic] film from the bunch".

I appreciated what they tried to do, I'm glad I saw it in the big screen but I will not be seeing this movie again. Maybe in a year or so, see if I've come to appreciate it more.

*The exception to these points were the Black Panther fight scenes; I legit thought he would kill a mofo during this movie. So looking forward to his introduction.
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

While they didn't specify (I missed the first fight scene of the movie, I only showed up more or less during the holodeck scene with Tony's parents) I had the impression after the fact that Howard may have either:

--Been working on developing a SS serum, OR
--Had some left over from Dr. Erskine's work,

That Bucky ripped off in order to help the Russians develop their own. However obviously they didn't have the Vita-rays, and the mental conditioning that Winter Soldier was put through in order to keep them under control.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

Elheru Aran wrote:While they didn't specify (I missed the first fight scene of the movie, I only showed up more or less during the holodeck scene with Tony's parents) I had the impression after the fact that Howard may have either:

That Bucky ripped off in order to help the Russians develop their own. However obviously they didn't have the Vita-rays, and the mental conditioning that Winter Soldier was put through in order to keep them under control.

Other than the cybernetic arm and training, is Bucky enhanced in any other way?
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

biostem wrote:
Elheru Aran wrote:While they didn't specify (I missed the first fight scene of the movie, I only showed up more or less during the holodeck scene with Tony's parents) I had the impression after the fact that Howard may have either:

Him and Black Panther were outrunning Cap so ...
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

biostem wrote:

Well, he pretty much has to be, he's a close match to Cap physically and pulls off some crazy tricks like that big jump between the two buildings, and can go toe-to-toe with Black Panther. It's quite possible that the Russians had a derivative of the Super-Soldier Serum that they were trying out on their own.

Plus of course there's the whole "has lived since before WWII and doesn't look THAT much older" thing...
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

Elheru Aran wrote:
biostem wrote:

Well, he pretty much has to be, he's a close match to Cap physically and pulls off some crazy tricks like that big jump between the two buildings, and can go toe-to-toe with Black Panther. It's quite possible that the Russians had a derivative of the Super-Soldier Serum that they were trying out on their own.

Plus of course there's the whole "has lived since before WWII and doesn't look THAT much older" thing...
To the last point, they would cryogenically freeze him when he wasn't out on a job, so he's really only lived a couple of weeks or so between the time he was captured and modern times...
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

biostem wrote:
Elheru Aran wrote:
biostem wrote:

To the last point, they would cryogenically freeze him when he wasn't out on a job, so he's really only lived a couple of weeks or so between the time he was captured and modern times...
Yeah, I don't know how that would work specifically. *shrugs* I do note that he seems slightly older than Cap, or at least he seems to have more wear and tear. It might just be that he needs a shave, haircut, and a good shower.

And given what they said about him in Winter Soldier, I'd say it's a lot more than just a couple of weeks, given that they ascribed quite a bit of stuff in history to his doing. At the very least, a few years, especially when you consider that he would be using clandestine transportation methods in some fairly low-tech areas of the world. The Soviets weren't zooming him around in a stealth fighter, after all (that we know of).
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

Yeah, I don't know how that would work specifically. *shrugs* I do note that he seems slightly older than Cap, or at least he seems to have more wear and tear. It might just be that he needs a shave, haircut, and a good shower.

And given what they said about him in Winter Soldier, I'd say it's a lot more than just a couple of weeks, given that they ascribed quite a bit of stuff in history to his doing. At the very least, a few years, especially when you consider that he would be using clandestine transportation methods in some fairly low-tech areas of the world. The Soviets weren't zooming him around in a stealth fighter, after all (that we know of).
"A couple of weeks" is probably too short a time, agreed. If you figure it probably took them a couple of years to fix his arm and brainwash him, then a handful of years for the times that he's actually defrosted and performing missions, it is still likely less than a decade. Plus, I think Bucky was older than Rogers in the first place, since Steve was trying to illegally enter the war, since he faked his age...
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Crazedwraith wrote:I'm not intentionally lying or ignoring your points. I'm sorry you think so.
Well, then its truly baffling how you could have so badly misinterpreted me.
I feel I must repeat the question then because obviously I am unclear. What negative effects do you think this film's message will have? Because you obviously think there are some or you wouldn't be complaining.

Unless your sole complain is 'this film sounds republican and I dissapprove of republicanism"
Well, I do think it sounds somewhat Republican based on the title and premise, though obviously I can't say weather this is actually entirely the case for the film itself (I'll be seeing it tomorrow, maybe), and I don't particularly want to see more major movies that endorse ideas that I find extremely counterproductive, illogical, and dangerous.

And no, that's not me saying that it should be banned. I can disagree with something without thinking it should be prohibited. In fact, that ability to separate personal dislike from public policy positions is one of the key cornerstones of a Democracy, in my opinion.

Beyond that, as I've pretty much already said, I think that a movie titled "Captain America: Civil War", about a war hero and icon of American patriotism engaging in a principled revolt against (from ArmourPierce's description) government oversight, could be seen as supporting Right wing anti-government extremism.

Does that mean an ordinary person is going to see this movie and become a terrorist? Of course not. But it could give a push, shall we say; exert some influence on people who already have inclinations in that direction.

But I wish to be very clear that I am not accusing the filmmakers of intending such a message. Unfortunately, its very easy for a work to have unintended implications, and for unbalanced minds to take a film's conclusions to greater extremes than its creators intended.
Meaningless nitpickery. You used the term 'far right,' I admit i conflated this with republican based on your posts here and else where.
Its not meaningless nitpickery. While I certainly consider the mainstream Republican Party to have become "far Right", the two are not entirely synonymous, and in any case neither are synonymous with violent revolt/revolutionary sentiment (yet, anyway), which is my point here.
You've made no argument of substance to bother with, If I'm mocking it's because your position is laughable.

But by all means if we want to go all SDN debate. Let's go for 'burden of proof' It is you have made the claim. Please define it: What negative impact do you think making a Civil War film will have? And then offer some actual proof that it is having that effect.
See above.

Obviously, I cannot provide examples of someone being inspired by this film to become a terrorist or something, and sincerely hope that I will never be able to do so.

I've already explained the possible parallels I see between the film and far Right ideology (though I fully acknowledge that I do not have the entire picture and therefore will not make a final judgement on the film at this time). And I'm honestly surprised if you think the claim that media can have an affect on peoples' beliefs or actions needs to be proved, because you're essentially asking me to prove the history of propaganda. I don't think leaders and organizations would have poured millions into it over millennia if it had no effect.
It was mere rhetorical embellishment. Let me simplify: You have a problem with Civil War and it's message. What do you suggest is the solution to this? Should Civil War not have been shown? Not have been made? Please tell me.
For the last time: No, I don't think it should be censored. Weather it should have been made- I have no problem with that either, although I might have preferred it, personally, if it had been done differently.
Again if Dark Knight caused actual harm undoubtedly, unlike Civil War which you say merely has the potential to cause harm. Why are you praising one and decrying the other?
Because The Dark Knight couldn't really be seen as endorsing violence, terrorism, revolt, far Right positions, etc. I doubt that Civil War is seriously intended to either, but I trust you will recognize the difference between a film that critiques something, and one that can be seen to be at least tacitly endorsing it?

At worst, you could accuse The Dark Knight of glamourizing vigilantism, but no more than any typical superhero film inherently does. In fact, you could make a fairly strong case that its a deconstruction of the "heroic vigilante" mythos, as its clear that Batman only exists because Gotham is horribly dysfunctional, his ultimate goal is to make the city a place that no longer needs him, and there's that whole theme of "You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain."
If not censorship, what do you want done about Civil War?
I don't want anything "done about" it beyond discussing and debating it like any other topic.

At most, if I found it really offensive, I would advise people not to see it, but I'm not prepared to go that far based on the information I have at this time. And if I'm being honest, I'd probably see it anyway for completenesses sake, because I've been following the MCU basically from the beginning, and I find it extremely interesting as a former film student, because I don't believe a shared world on this scale has ever been attempted before in film.
That article just says that other people compared him to the joker and Holmes is aware of it. Not that Holmes was inspired by The Dark Knight.
Here you go: http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/national-i ... 58016.html
So you make judgement on a film's content and message based on the tile and previews and when I try out that that's not the message the film has suddenly I'm the one who's being an idiot?

You can't judge a film on a message that you've imagine in your head and it doesn't fucking have.
I admit I may have jumped the gun a bit in response to ArmourPierce's post.

I have already said that while their are elements of the film I find concerning, I will not offer a final judgement on the film until I have seen it. I probably wouldn't even be continuing this debate at this point if you weren't basically demanding that I do so.
I take great offense at your describing me as being outraged in something that doesn't exist, when you're the guy claiming the film's a validation of far-right politics and is going to encourage... something. Not sure what because you sure as hell won't just spit it out.
Well, if you don't think I'm advocating censorship of the film, why the fuck do you keep harping on that point?

I'm sorry if you find my points unclear, but they're not particularly unclear to me, and I've repeatedly tried to explain them.
Bottom line: What negative effects do you think this film has/might have based on the concept? And can you in anyway prove it?
See above.
ArmorPierce
Rabid Monkey
Location: Born and raised in Brooklyn, unfornately presently in Jersey

Post by ArmorPierce »

Simon_Jester wrote:
ArmorPierce wrote:The entire point to my comparison to democrats and republicans is that I am drawing parallels to actual real politics occurring today and apply actual political views.
Yes, you are, you've said so several times. The problem isn't that you're drawing parallels between the movie and politics. The problem is that your political views are those of an illiterate who slept through introductory social studies and got what he knows of history and political science off a chewing gum wrapper. Or (worse yet) listening to a half dozen election soundbites.
Belief in social oversight of individual actions is a left wing concept. Individual rights is a more nuanced issue and is not inherently in conflict with social oversight.
The left and right have both, throughout history for as long as there has been a left and a right, favored social oversight of some individual actions, and no social oversight of other actions. Which actions they think should be overseen varies. It would be trivially easy for me to prove this; would it shut you up if I did so or would you just keep spamming the same claim?
Captain America declares that he is against socialized oversight because he feels that responsibility is exercised best at an individual level. This reflects an anti-authority anti-regulation pro individualistic quasi-libertarian view.
Captain America does not say 'socialized' and 'socialized' does not mean what you think it means. Captain America is not talking about economic activity, the only area where the modern right wing is consistently opposed to regulation of anything. He is only an 'individualist' in that he believes individuals are responsible for their actions, which is not a 'right wing' idea in any meaningful sense. And he is 'quasi-libertarian' in almost NO sense, because 'libertarian' refers to economics, and hardly ever to personal rights in modern political discourse.
Word terminology does not have a single use and definition as you appear to believe, I am unsure why you are getting stuck on that :roll: You can use the same word in different contexts with different meanings. My use of social is referring to society in general on a grander scale which is represented by their governing body. You remind me of people getting all huffy that people use 'in theory' in colloquial communication in one dimension rather than the academic scientific definition of a 'theory'.

I recognize that there can by leftwing anti-authority groups and that certain positions are not unique to left or right, quite frankly that simply does not matter in the context of my drawing of comparison to Republican and Democratic parties and American politics.

Lets break this down. Parallels between Captain America's positions and right-wing Republican beliefs.

Captain America's beliefs:

1. In favor of unilateral strikes across sovereign borders
2. Against social oversight.
3. Appears to be religious (first avengers movie made reference to Thor is not a god because there is only one God)
4. Believes that decisions are best made at the individual level

Right-wing Republican beliefs:

1. In favor of unilateral strikes across sovereign borders (
2. Against social oversight (Coalition of the willing in Iraq war, economic regulations, supposedly in favor of limited government)
3. Appeals to religious Christians
4. Believes that decisions are best made at the individual or local level (State rights, anti-government mandates such as public schooling, etc)
Last edited by ArmorPierce on 2016-05-09 06:40pm, edited 3 times in total.
Brotherhood of the Monkey @( !.! )@
To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift. ~Steve Prefontaine
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteer are in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Yeah, put it that way, Cap is a conservative minus the usual bigotry (he's never shown any prejudice that I can recall towards racial minorities or women).

Although we never hear anything about Cap's economics either way as far as I recall because... well, its an action movie.
ArmorPierce
Rabid Monkey
Location: Born and raised in Brooklyn, unfornately presently in Jersey

Post by ArmorPierce »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Yeah, put it that way, Cap is a conservative minus the usual bigotry (he's never shown any prejudice that I can recall towards racial minorities or women).

Although we never hear anything about Cap's economics either way as far as I recall because... well, its an action movie.
Indeed, I am not even stating that he would be a republican necessarily. In my mind he has very strong social beliefs of helping others that would probably make him left leaning democrat, or independent. Then again, republicans also railed about how they are liberizing the countries that they are in favor of invading (ie, George Bush's assertion that the US military would be greeted as liberators).
Brotherhood of the Monkey @( !.! )@
To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift. ~Steve Prefontaine
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteer are in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

Wasn't there a short-run comic series about some organization that took care of much of the cleanup that was a result of superhero/supervillain activity?
Zeropoint
Jedi Knight

Post by Zeropoint »

Regarding the unusual nature of Vision's abilities: take one (1) robot body designed and built by an accidentally created AI, add a frelling INFINITY STONE, then cook for several hours with chaos magic (I seem to recall Wanda doing something to the vibranium body, anyway) . . . how can you have any reasonable predictions about WHAT you'll get from that recipe? The most surprising thing about him is that he's not more powerful than the rest of the team put together, times ten.
I'm a cis-het white male, and I oppose racism, sexism, homophobia, and transphobia. I support treating all humans equally.

When fascism came to America, it was wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.

That which will not bend must break and that which can be destroyed by truth should never be spared its demise.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

biostem wrote:Wasn't there a short-run comic series about some organization that took care of much of the cleanup that was a result of superhero/supervillain activity?
'Damage Control'. It was a thing in the 80s or early 90s, and then they had a few brief issues around the Civil War (mid 00's). More of a joke comic than anything else, in one issue they visit the Latverian embassy and ask Doctor Doom to indemnify them for some damages. He promptly writes them a check, and even shows photo ID.
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

Elheru Aran wrote:
biostem wrote:Wasn't there a short-run comic series about some organization that took care of much of the cleanup that was a result of superhero/supervillain activity?
'Damage Control'. It was a thing in the 80s or early 90s, and then they had a few brief issues around the Civil War (mid 00's). More of a joke comic than anything else, in one issue they visit the Latverian embassy and ask Doctor Doom to indemnify them for some damages. He promptly writes them a check, and even shows photo ID.

Cool! I did a little searching and found this:

Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Yep. Hilarious little comic. I don't think it was ever meant to be taken seriously, they mostly tied into the impacts of other comics. Like, I think the last one I saw was cleaning up after the World War Hulk event, and someone was up to some embezzling shenanigans in the aftermath of that, which they foiled in the process of their cleanup... something like that, no relevance to the Marvel universe proper, just an amusing sidenote.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Elheru Aran wrote:
Photo ID of Doctor Doom is very amusing. :D

This is... actually kind of in character for von Doom, I think. Paying for the damages and all. He's got a streak of Lawful-Evil nobility in him, the sort of thing that causes him to jump on an atomic grenade to spare his guests harm (granted he's wearing truly impressive armor, but still).
The Romulan Republic wrote:Yeah, put it that way, Cap is a conservative minus the usual bigotry (he's never shown any prejudice that I can recall towards racial minorities or women).

He's a conservative in that he's a refugee from the 1940s, yes. He grew up in a very different culture, time, and place.

But it's ridiculous to try to dismiss the character as some kind of right wing militia kook when that is literally never what he's been about. The only reason we're having this conversation is that the Republican Party has so efficiently co-opted the very notion of expressing patriotic sentiment in the US that some of us can't even imagine a guy openly calling himself "Captain AMERICA" without being a Republican.

In other words, the Republicans are fighting a propaganda battle inside your head, and you're letting them win.
ArmorPierce wrote:Word terminology does not have a single use and definition as you appear to believe, I am unsure why you are getting stuck on that :roll: You can use the same word in different contexts with different meanings. My use of social is referring to society in general on a grander scale which is represented by their governing body. You remind me of people getting all huffy that people use 'in theory' in colloquial communication in one dimension rather than the academic scientific definition of a 'theory'.
So basically, I have no right to criticize you for not knowing what words mean, or for twisting words.

I mean, I could make some cutesy bullshit argument that "social media" is "social" and therefore support of it is "socialist" and therefore anyone who uses Facebook advocates for the masses taking over control of the means of production from the bourgeoisie.

But that would be grossly stupid. It wouldn't be an argument, it would be a bad pun- a failure to grasp that different words with similar roots mean different things. Or that the same word, used in a specific context, has to mean the same thing, you can't just arbitrarily declare that today "right wing" means respecting my free speech and tomorrow it doesn't.

Words have meanings. If you twist or ignore the meanings, and twist or ignore the context behind how they came to mean what they mean, your arguments become pure gibberish.
I recognize that there can by leftwing anti-authority groups and that certain positions are not unique to left or right, quite frankly that simply does not matter in the context of my drawing of comparison to Republican and Democratic parties and American politics.

Lets break this down. Parallels between Captain America's positions and right-wing Republican beliefs.

Captain America's beliefs:

1. In favor of unilateral strikes across sovereign borders
2. Against social oversight.
3. Appears to be religious (first avengers movie made reference to Thor is not a god because there is only one God)
4. Believes that decisions are best made at the individual level
This is the same Cap who:
1) Objected vehemently to Nick Fury's plan to use the gun-armed helicarriers of Project Insight to preemptively target 'threats.'
2) Cheerfully participated in large organized teams and took orders like a trooper until it turned out his bosses' organization had been infiltrated by HYDRA of all people.
3) Is, okay, religious personally, but has never once bashed anyone over the head with it or tried to tell other people how to live that I can recall.
4) I repeat, cheerfully accepted all manner of oversight and joins armies at the drop of a hat, until one of those armies turns out to be massively corrupt.

You're trying really hard to twist the facts here, and it shows. Especially how vague you are about what 'social' means, and the way you totally overlook huge chunks of Rogers' backstory.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Simon_Jester wrote:He's a conservative in that he's a refugee from the 1940s, yes. He grew up in a very different culture, time, and place.

But it's ridiculous to try to dismiss the character as some kind of right wing militia kook when that is literally never what he's been about. The only reason we're having this conversation is that the Republican Party has so efficiently co-opted the very notion of expressing patriotic sentiment in the US that some of us can't even imagine a guy openly calling himself "Captain AMERICA" without being a Republican.

In other words, the Republicans are fighting a propaganda battle inside your head, and you're letting them win.
Oh bull shit.

I don't think he's a Republican just because he's called Captain America. In fact, I don't think I would have been inclined to think of him as particularly Right wing prior to the build up to this film.

As I said, you can make the case that he's conservative in the sense of being a pro-interventionism anti-big government regulations vigilante, but he lacks the frothing hatefulness/bigotry that permeates the current Republican Party.

Like Superman, he's basically an idealized personification of what America generally wishes this country was, with all the good and bad that that entails.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

The thing is, he's not even anti-government-regulations. He's against big corrupt global security organs that (his experience shows) get infiltrated and turned into organs of global oppression by people like Loki and HYDRA.

Remember how strongly he was opposed to Ultron back in Avengers 2? That's what I'm getting at. He doesn't want to see the world put in "a suit of armor." Thanks to his recent experiences, he has an Eisenhower-ish distrust of the military-industrial complex. Even before that, he was quite capable of recognizing that SHIELD wasn't being honest with him, and objecting to SHIELD's covert development of Tesseract-powered weaponry.

And I'm looking at his persistent opposition across like four movies to every form of military-industrial-complex power and world control, when we define intrusive state security in the name of 'freedom' and 'safety' as one of the prevailing legacies of the modern right in our era...

...And I'm wondering how the hell is that right-wing?