The 2nd Girl Genius Thread

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

AMX
Jedi Knight

Re: The 2nd Girl Genius Thread

Post by AMX »

Enigma wrote:What intrigues me and apparently I haven't understood it is that when KBH was born was apparently important, that being 407 days after the Baron's disappearance.
To make it clear that he was really Bill's son, and not Klaus'.
ISTR that was popular fan spec around that time.

And obviously, Higgs = KBH requires timetravel - possible, but unlikely IMO.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Not necessarily. If GG takes place twenty years after the Heterodyne boys disappeared and KBH is alive then he'd be at least 22 years old. How old is Higgs?
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Higgs is not a Heterodyne. He is a Jaegerkin, and old enough to remember other Masters. He is old enough to talk back to the Castle and get it to agree with him. And yes, he has been refered to as BOSUN Higgs.

Either way, he is not Bill's son, not Bill in disguise (as the Castle would have been 'enjoying' itself playing with the Hero), and he is certainly more than 'just' Jaegerkin. I agree he is most likely one of the two missing Jaeger generals.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

besisdes the he talks back to the castle and says that it gets secure a new Hetrodyne every 20 years or so, which means that he's been around for a while.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

LadyTevar wrote:Higgs is not a Heterodyne. He is a Jaegerkin, and old enough to remember other Masters. He is old enough to talk back to the Castle and get it to agree with him. And yes, he has been refered to as BOSUN Higgs.

Either way, he is not Bill's son, not Bill in disguise (as the Castle would have been 'enjoying' itself playing with the Hero), and he is certainly more than 'just' Jaegerkin. I agree he is most likely one of the two missing Jaeger generals.
Can't be Jaegerkin unless he's been booted because if he was a Jaeger then he would not been allowed into the town before the Doom Bell rang. He certainly doesn't act like a Jaeger. He's an interesting mystery. He has to be someone important if he's willing to kill to conceal his true identity.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Enigma wrote:
LadyTevar wrote:Higgs is not a Heterodyne. He is a Jaegerkin, and old enough to remember other Masters. He is old enough to talk back to the Castle and get it to agree with him. And yes, he has been refered to as BOSUN Higgs.

Can't be Jaegerkin unless he's been booted because if he was a Jaeger then he would not been allowed into the town before the Doom Bell rang. He certainly doesn't act like a Jaeger. He's an interesting mystery. He has to be someone important if he's willing to kill to conceal his true identity.
Just like Mamma wasn't in the town before the Doom Bell rang.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Are you agreeing or? Sorry, half past midnight here.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

ASSCRAVATS!
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

He's saying that the Jaegers can and will find ways to get around those prohibitions. Mamma wasn't "in" the town, she was technically under it. Higgs waasn't in Mechanicsburg for probably most of the time he's been employed with the Baron as a random mook. However, with his unique (as far as we have seen) ability to disguise himself as human, and all the chaos around Mechanicsburg, he probably figured that it would be good to be near/in/around Mechanicsburg to see and evaluate for himself the situation. And since he is the hidden general and won't reveal himself, nobody will catch him, right?
Vendetta wrote:Richard Gatling was a pioneer in US national healthcare. On discovering that most soldiers during the American Civil War were dying of disease rather than gunshots, he turned his mind to, rather than providing better sanitary conditions and medical care for troops, creating a machine to make sure they got shot faster.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Is still don't think he'd break the rule about Jaegers entering the town before the Doom Bell rang. He wasn't interested in what was going on (at least he wasn't at first), he was ordered by Gil to help him. So Higgs entered the town proper and the castle.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

ASSCRAVATS!
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Mamma most certainly was in the town. We saw her on the ground floor of her building several times. She hid in plain sight because of the nature of her establishment. Other Yeagers stayed underneath, but it was readily apparent Mamma was out and about.

Vole also completely ignored all Yeager rules.

So Higgs could easily be a Yeager. The rules are bent all the time.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Vole isn't a Jaeger anymore, but that's a bit besides the point.

It seems pretty clear between Mamma and Agatha's Jaegers that the rules matter only if they get caught.

I still don't think Higgs is a Jaeger though.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Ahriman238 wrote:Vole isn't a Jaeger anymore, but that's a bit besides the point.
When you define Yeagar as a way of life, that is correct. But biologically, Vole is most certainly Yeager.
It seems pretty clear between Mamma and Agatha's Jaegers that the rules matter only if they get caught.

Agreed. Especially with the whole "I'd tell you, but then he'd have to kill you" line from the Castle. Higgs is something else.

Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

I do not dispute his biology, but he has thoroughly rejected and spat on the Jaeger way of life. Ergo, he is not considered a Jaeger by the Jagerkin or people of Mechanicsburg, hence why he was able to roam the city freely.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

The castle is pulsing with a whole lot of light-bending energy.

This cannot end well.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Dass.Kapital
Padawan Learner

Post by Dass.Kapital »

Why...does my mind see....

...An emerging Cthonic type of entity...

...In Clown make-up...

Ai! Ai! Phtagn! *Honk, honk*
Highlord Laan wrote:Agatha Heterodyne built a squadron of flying pigs and an overgunned robot reindeer in a cave! With a box of scraps!
"And low, I have cometh, the destroyer of threads."
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

Alyeska wrote:
Ahriman238 wrote:Vole isn't a Jaeger anymore, but that's a bit besides the point.
When you define Yeagar as a way of life, that is correct. But biologically, Vole is most certainly Yeager.

Agreed. Especially with the whole "I'd tell you, but then he'd have to kill you" line from the Castle. Higgs is something else.

Out of intrest, why are you spelling Jaeger with a Y?
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
tortieconspiracy
Youngling

Post by tortieconspiracy »

Ahriman238 wrote:I do not dispute his biology, but he has thoroughly rejected and spat on the Jaeger way of life. Ergo, he is not considered a Jaeger by the Jagerkin or people of Mechanicsburg, hence why he was able to roam the city freely.
Roam the city freely? Did you read his entry on the cast page? Where the jaegers weren't allowed in Mechanicsberg, he wasn't allowed out. He was trapped inside the city walls.
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

The castle is using a LSD Cannon? :D

They theoretically could do that with the same system they neutralized the C-Gas with - along with any other stuff that can fit through pipes :D Oh, the possibilities!
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

The castle is apparently straightening itself out, and letting loose it's monsters.
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

OF COURSE IT DIT - What sense would a self-repair function make it it DIDN'T release monsters! *tsk*
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Vejut
Padawan Learner

Post by Vejut »

Hunh. Very 'Bone' with the monster release.
Wonder what this long arc is building up to, and how long until we get there?
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

monster powr hamster power, what difference does it make...

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Talk about woring the bugs out.

I'm not surprised that the castle did this since it needed to be fully functional in order to REALLY help Agatha.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

ASSCRAVATS!
Crayz9000
Sith Apprentice

Post by Crayz9000 »

release the kraken?

:lol:
A Tribute to Stupidity: The Robert Scott Anderson Archive (currently offline)
John Hansen - Slightly Insane Bounty Hunter - ASVS Vets' Assoc. Class of 2000
HAB Cryptanalyst | WG - Intergalactic Alliance and Spoof Author | BotM | Cybertron | SCEF
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

I had that thought too. :)
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

ASSCRAVATS!