Man of Steel Trailer #3

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Justice
Youngling

Man of Steel Trailer #3

Post by Justice »

Set to Zimmer's soundtrack. Very, very excited now.
Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba
Sith Devotee

Re: Man of Steel Trailer #3

Post by Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba »

This is the only big-budget franchise picture coming out soon that I'm actually looking forward to. Every trailer I've seen really makes it look like something different and well-thought-out.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Everything about that looks good except Yet Another Superman Flies Into Space scene. Still, looks like it might be a bit more interesting than regular superhero poops.
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

I'm not sure if I enjoy the score by Zimmer.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba
Sith Devotee

Post by Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba »

I really do not mind a Superman Flies Into Space scene if they keep using that palette. Goddamn, nothing in the previous work of the cinematographer here (Amir Mokri) has impressed me much, but this looks like they combined Wally Pfister's stark aesthetic sense with Zack Snyder's understanding of colour. Seriously, this movie looks gorgeous, and it even sounds like Zimmer, who I normally really dislike, has restrained his normal bad habits of overdone percussion and strings in deference to his idolization of John Williams (though denying Snyder creative control over the music sucks since the way he structures movies like two-hour strings of music videos when he has licensing rights available rocks).

Zod would normally worry me as a main villain, since 'two identically powered heroes get into fisticuffs' is generally super-boring as a climax (see Iron Man, where literally the least interesting part of the film is the boss fight) but Superman doesn't really have a deep bench of enemies who can actually make for interesting fights anyways and Zack Snyder has a style I do not get tired of, so, yeah, hopefully it's either done interestingly or the rest of the movie will be cool around it.
JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

ray245 wrote:I'm not sure if I enjoy the score by Zimmer.
I'm sure the 3 minutes of music is indicative of the entire movie,
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

JLTucker wrote:
ray245 wrote:I'm not sure if I enjoy the score by Zimmer.
I'm sure the 3 minutes of music is indicative of the entire movie,
The music used in the Batman Begins trailer was indicative of the entire score. Zimmer's work on the TDK trilogy is quite disappointing, as he failed to create a memorable tune.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Tomzilla
Youngling

Post by Tomzilla »

I'm very excited to see this film. This trailer emboldened that excitement. It did what trailers should do: give the audience a glimpse into the story and soul of the film. I'll wait to listen to Hans Zimmer's complete musical composition before passing judgment. So far, it sounds great.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Stark wrote:Everything about that looks good except Yet Another Superman Flies Into Space scene. Still, looks like it might be a bit more interesting than regular superhero poops.
That is like a "5 STAR!!! 5 OUT OF 5!! 3 THUMBS UP!!!" endorsement coming from you. :lol:

Superman done right. Hasn't happened since '78. We will see.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Hey it still has the probably terrible Avenger Ending. But changing heaps of the origin story so it's about the human race with Superman as a mirror instead of a series of feel good farming vignettes and stupid weaknesses is a great idea.

And the scene is just poo because they always do it and (unlike basically everything else in the trailer) it's done to death and uninteresting. That the entire context of it will doubtless be completely different and the relationship between superman and the world will be operating in a different way means it probably won't really be 'like the other times'.
spaceviking
Jedi Knight

Post by spaceviking »

I'm cautiously exited. Superman has always been a cool image, but I can't say I ever really enjoyed any superman movie/comic. Not counting the Justice League cartoons.
Lord Relvenous
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord Relvenous »

This looks like it will handle a story deeper than "Superman beats bad guys with fists" much, much, much better than Superman Returns. This trailer definitely tipped me over the edge on whether to see this in theaters or not.
Coyote: Warm it in the microwave first to avoid that 'necrophelia' effect.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Still hating the costume and what's with the no yellow S shield on the cape? Again? At least they seem to have go the cape length right this time.I actually found the glimpses of the soundtrack rather interesting. I've heard better, but I've definitely heard worse too. Kind of reminded me of the theme from 'Thor'.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

I was going to post 'you have problems' but realized how redundant this statement is.

Thread of people reacting to tone, style and theme of movie? OMG WHY NO TRADEMARK?!?!?
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Some of us like that trademark you know.
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

I'm crying tears for you right now.

One day you'll grow ... Ok, you probably won't.

Hey NUA can you talk more about your thoughts on visual style because I don't think I have the language to even think about your post.
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

The fact that it apparently annoys you would have been sufficient reason to post it in and of itself but I'm I'm afraid there's nothing in the OP saying 'you no comment on visuals' so that was a perfectly valid post :P
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

V-v-v-v-v-for what?

Your post is doubly hilarious because I just asked one of the adults about visual elements; I don't react to visuals the way he did and I think this may be purely knowledge based. I'm certain he can add to my understanding.

You ... Can't.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Batman is whining because a costume doesn't meet his mongoloid standards. NUA is talking about filmmaking. This amuses me.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

I obviously missed the post where it was specified that hencetoforth, all comments had to add to Stark's understanding or be about filmmaking rather than...commenting on the new trailer.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Batman wrote:I obviously missed the post where it was specified that hencetoforth, all comments had to add to Stark's understanding or be about filmmaking rather than...commenting on the new trailer.
And the point again sails over Batmans misshapen head...
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Oh Batman got the point alright, he just blithely ignored it because there's no fecking reason why it should be the point just because Stark (and, apparently, Flagg) would prefer to talk about it as opposed to everything else about the trailer.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Are you saying others are fixated on one thing when you're the only person who cares about he one thing ie the cape?

This is why everyone knows you're a fuckin idiot.
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Let's see. This is a thread about the new trailer. The cape is in the trailer. The cape does not have the yellow S shield. I comment on that. It could have ended at that. I'm not the one who started this mess you know.
jollyreaper
Jedi Master

Post by jollyreaper »

I never really understood the temptation to change the iconic. I suppose with most franchises that span decades, you'll never forget your first exposure to it, that sets the tone. Reeves was Superman for me and the late 70's/early 80's costume was simply how Superman looked. Bright, primary colors. A fit build but not bulked out like Arnold.

I can understand trying to fix things that might work in a comic that simply can't be pulled off convincingly in live-action, yellow spandex joke in X-Men. The blue and gray Batman uniform might be unconvincing. Iron Man's suit in the comics can sometimes look more like a leotard than a set of full-body armor. I have no idea where they got the idea to texture the hell out of Superman's suit and make it all dingy.

All that having been said, there does seem to be hints in the trailer that they might have found an interesting Superman story to tell. Watchmen was excellent, 300 not so much. If the movie delivers, who cares about the costume? I was pretty skeptical about the Ledger look for the Joker when the first promo shots were leaked. I remained skeptical after the first trailers. The performance convinced me. He made it work. The same might happen for Dingy Superman.