hyperspeed=lightspeed

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

PayBack wrote:It reads slightly differently to how I recalled it but I still take the same idea from it. That being that you do pass through light speed rather than skip it completely. Sure it's within Planck time and so that period of time is effectively meaningless, however it still happens. He does say "without ever being at intermediate speeds" but I take that as meaning without "effectively" ever being at intermediate speeds as you are there for too short a period for it to have any effect.
That's a really neat definition of "without ever being at", that you can interpret it to mean "being at".
Otherwise I wouldn't think he'd bother saying it can't be done "via ordinary physical means" Maybe I'm misinterpreting it but I wouldn't have thought he'd have mentioned Planck time if you were never at that speed? And yes Surlethe that would have to include the lead up to c as well.
The planck time would have to include most of the ramp-up. The point is that you're saying they'll have to at accelerate to reach the speed of light, which is patently impossible because of the ramp-up, even if they're only at c for an infinitesimally short period of time.
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
PayBack
Padawan Learner

Post by PayBack »

Surlethe wrote:
PayBack wrote:It reads slightly differently to how I recalled it but I still take the same idea from it. That being that you do pass through light speed rather than skip it completely. Sure it's within Planck time and so that period of time is effectively meaningless, however it still happens. He does say "without ever being at intermediate speeds" but I take that as meaning without "effectively" ever being at intermediate speeds as you are there for too short a period for it to have any effect.
That's a really neat definition of "without ever being at", that you can interpret it to mean "being at".
Well again if they never approach or reach c, then why would anything have to happen within Plank time? If you're always either well sub, or superluminal, then you're not breaking any laws of physics and the time period is irrelevant? And a previous poster has said if it affects nothing as far as they're concerned it didn't happen. Some people may put it that saying it happened is being pedantic if it happened in Planck time, which is effectively a non existant period of time. That is why I'm presenting the possibility it happened dispite him saying that (for all intents and purposes) it didn't. If it didn't happen according to the universe, he's saying it didn't also.
Otherwise I wouldn't think he'd bother saying it can't be done "via ordinary physical means" Maybe I'm misinterpreting it but I wouldn't have thought he'd have mentioned Planck time if you were never at that speed? And yes Surlethe that would have to include the lead up to c as well.
The planck time would have to include most of the ramp-up. The point is that you're saying they'll have to at accelerate to reach the speed of light, which is patently impossible because of the ramp-up, even if they're only at c for an infinitesimally short period of time.
I said the ramp up would be included within Plank time. I'm not sure I understand your point?