Death Star Conspiracy

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Q99
Jedi Council Member

Re: Death Star Conspiracy

Post by Q99 »

Elheru Aran wrote:What about a U-bend though? Or even a *series* of them. Frankly, that one exhaust port that just happens to lead directly to the reactor is fucking stupid and highly contrived.
What if a U-bend causes the superhot gases to deposit the heat at that point and starts melting the shaft?

It's an exhaust port from the most gigantic power system to ever exist. This thing is moon sized and the port is only 2 meters. Stuff that affects the flow of exhaust may be an issue. Complex plumbing is plumbing more likely to break, as a plumber or electrician can tell you.

It may be like the old, "Villains in underground lair decide to put covers on the airvents to prevent heroes from climbing through. Hero arrives to discover everyone dead from lack of oxygen."

Again, it's really convenient to just assume that there's no engineering complications when talking about a system that's got to have great needs and is there for a vital practical purpose.
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Crazedwraith wrote:
Elheru Aran wrote:What about a U-bend though? Or even a *series* of them. Frankly, that one exhaust port that just happens to lead directly to the reactor is fucking stupid and highly contrived.
I never got why people thought there was a pipe directly to the reactor. Dodanna said ' A direct hit will start a chain reaction'. Torpedeo into a reactor blowing up a whole station isn't much of a chain to me.
It is probably based on the simplistic diagram we saw that showed exactly this. The best evidence against it comes from the fact that Dodonna indicated that it was ray shielded as a reason why they had to use torpedoes, indicating that a gun attack would do enough damage. That indicates that just damaging it would have been enough to destroy the station.

So going by this, there are essentially two reasonable conclusions, either the shaft is a straight line for engineering regions or it is not and the damage merely overloaded the station.

This sort of issue is often similar to that of assuming that you have a clever simple solution to a common problem in a fantasy story. It then begs the question of why no one had ever thought of it before. Unless you have some specialized knowledge that there is no way for the characters to know*, it is far more likely that they know something you don't.

* Which admittedly is the case in most such stories because they take place in a setting without much science.
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

Crazedwraith wrote:
I never got why people thought there was a pipe directly to the reactor. Dodanna said ' A direct hit will start a chain reaction'. Torpedeo into a reactor blowing up a whole station isn't much of a chain to me.

Well, the graphics used during the briefing basically showed the torpedo going right to the reactor, then the reactor exploding, thus taking out the station - that last part is what I thought he meant by a "chain reaction".

Regardless, my point is really that there should have been some sort of additional physical protection - Star Wars makes generous use of blast doors and shields, so I'd figure such design practices would/should extend to even immense structures like the Death Star.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

biostem wrote: Well, the graphics used during the briefing basically showed the torpedo going right to the reactor, then the reactor exploding, thus taking out the station - that last part is what I thought he meant by a "chain reaction".
Or just something nearby. Since it's an exhaust port, it has to end on something that makes exhaust.

And consider the scale of the graphic. If the vent pipe weaves a kilometer back and forth around obstacles, it wouldn't even show up on that scale. If it stops 5 kilometers from the reactor, it also likely wouldn't show up.

Regardless, my point is really that there should have been some sort of additional physical protection - Star Wars makes generous use of blast doors and shields, so I'd figure such design practices would/should extend to even immense structures like the Death Star.
But- can it do so while still allowing exhaust to flow?

I always read the lack of particle shielding being for exactly that reason- stopping up the exhaust is BadTM.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Um-'exhaust vent'. Those generally don't take kindly to you complicating the path of the stuff you're exhausting. Engineering concerns (as has been mentioned numerous times in this thread). Besides, the main problem wasn't the shaft, it was the near complete absence of TIEs thanks to Tarkin's arrogance.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Rebels on Yavin:

"Why'd it just blow up like that?"

"I don't know, I thought we were dead! We tried our assault, but it's not like there was a weak point to hit. Then we detected their weapon charging and-- boom. It's like they didn't design the thing with an exhaust port!"
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

And consider the scale of the graphic. If the vent pipe weaves a kilometer back and forth around obstacles, it wouldn't even show up on that scale. If it stops 5 kilometers from the reactor, it also likely wouldn't show up.
The graphics were heavily simplified for the briefing. Look at the location of the Death Star's superlaser dish. It's in the northern hemisphere on the actual station but in the diagram it's squarely on the equator.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Typhonis 1
Rabid Monkey Scientist
Location: deep within a secret cloning lab hidden in the brotherhood of the monkey thread

Post by Typhonis 1 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agcRwGDKulw

BTW the surface guns did nail a few ships in the fight.
Brotherhood of the Bear Monkey Clonemaster , Anti Care Bears League,
Bureaucrat and BOFH of the HAB,
Skunk Works director of the Mecha Maniacs,
Black Mage,

I AM BACK! let the SCIENCE commence!