Poll: Which warship would you use?

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Which ship would you use?

Imperator SD
13%
Victory SD
6%
Mon Cal Cruiser
2%
Dreadnought Cruiser
2%
Executor SSD
44%
Venator SD
2%
Home One
5%
Tector SD
No votes
Other
27%

Total votes: 63

Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Re: Poll: Which warship would you use?

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

In answer to the above post... that would be a very bad thing to put it mildly. That's why I said in mine it would be either the ST or SG universe, not modern Earth. though if someone did do modern Earth...that wouldn't end well. Imagine if Iran or NK got a hold of an ISD (heck, imagine if they got a Corvette even) that would be the end of the world as we know it.
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

If my mega-Devastator choice turned up over modern-day Earth, I think I might just let WWIII happen, and use the ship's guns to shoot down all the ICBM's, a la Galactica from oBSG.

Then, I dunno, turn Tehran and Pyongyang into smoking craters with a single shot, just to prove a point.

EDIT: I think, instead of a Superlaser, I'd have my WD mount a number of W-165 Planetary Turbolasers, which can apparently shred ISD's in a single hit. Only one shot per 10 seconds, but that's still faster than a superlaser. 150 diameter platform, but that includes the 50-metre reactor core, targeting systems and defensive systems, which wouldn't be necessary if it's ship-mounted.

EDIT: Also, a few V-150 Planet Defender Ion Cannons, like those used at Hoth. This would give my ship one hell of a punch.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

For hilarity's sake, I'd turn it over to Switzerland. All hail the Swiss Empire! :lol:
"I'm just reading through your formspring here, and your responses to many questions seem to indicate that you are ready and willing to sacrifice realism/believability for the sake of (sometimes) marginal increases in gameplay quality. Why is this?"
"Because until I see gamers sincerely demanding that if they get winged in the gut with a bullet that they spend the next three hours bleeding out on the ground before permanently dying, they probably are too." - J.E. Sawyer
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Now that would be interesting indeed. A mighty World Devastator, crewed by the Swiss Guard.

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Omeganian
Jedi Knight

Post by Omeganian »

No thanks. They were bad enough with the Archangels.
Q: How are children made in the TNG era Federation?

A: With power couplings. To explain, you shut down the power to the lights, and then, in the darkness, you have the usual TOS era coupling.
lord Martiya
Jedi Master

Post by lord Martiya »

Stock Executor, with TIE Fighters replaced by Interceptors and loaded with plans for the Imperial ships and a space map to Galmann. The galaxy? Milky Way, year 2165. By that year Gamilon is just gaining the upper hand against Earth... Guess what would happen if I arrived to help Earth with something that outguns Gamilon's entire fleet and I had a map to tell where the Gamilons could emigrate without Gamilonforming Earth, or Zodar's face when he discovers Earth destroyers outsize his dreadnoughts and outguns his Gatlantis... Yes, I love Star Blazers.
VarrusTheEthical
Padawan Learner

Post by VarrusTheEthical »

Good old fashioned Imperitor for me, thank you. Just the right size for my taste.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Well, since I didn't go into much detail on my personal VSD (not any real ideas at the time), I'll put more of my idea into play here. It will still be dark green with the Rebel/NR/GA symbol, depending on the time period. I'll slap a cloak on there, along with more ion cannons and turbolasers (the ship can support more than it actually has).

I'll put an Asgard hyperdrive (ZPM powered) into it, since it can go between galaxy's faster than a SW one (if you take Outbound Flight at face value) and if I remember correctly its not affected by gravity wells. The hanger will be expanded and filled to the brim with XJ X-wings and Stealth X's. It will also have the blueprints for a World Devastator and all the other Imperial ships. And on the final custom thing it will have that alternate reality jump drive thing, so that I can go to the SG, ST and Halo universes.

As for what I will do in said MW variants, in ST I'll park it over Earth and offer my services to the Feds, and use the VSD to blow the Borg and Dominion back to the stone age. That being said, I realize the designs won't be any help to the Feddies, since they don't have the tech to build them. That's why I have a small WD parked in my hanger :twisted:. Obviously a small one doesn't mean much, but it will be used to eventually make bigger ones, and from there more VSD's, Venators, and ISDs.

As for the SG'verse, I'll again just park my VSD over Earth and offer my services to the SGC. And if some other country *cough*Iran or North Korea*cough* doesn't like it I'll park over their capital and blow it to a smoking crater. After dealing with the Snakes and Wraith, I'll go help the Asgard with the Replicators before heading to the Ori galaxy and turning their civilization into a smoking wreck (I'll also bring a few dozen Jedi along, to counter the power of the Ori proper). After building up a fleet with the WD and its bigger successors, I'll head to some out of the way planet and start building my own little Republic before retiring with my super VSD (oh, and I'll con Q into giving me eternal life in exchange for Janeway... though what he see's in her is beyond me).

And last but not least...the Halo MW. Now that will be the interesting one. The Covies actually have the firepower to threaten my VSD (not an Executor mind you, but even my super VSD is still just a Victory), after all, they can do their own version of a BDZ. But following my plan from the other two MW's, I'll build up a large fleet and use my SVSD (Super Victory Class Star Destroyer) as the flagship of a whole bunch of regular VSD's, Venators, ISD's and a couple Executors. Once the Prophets are meeting their ancestors, I'll get the Elites and UNSC to get along with each other and set off to find the remains of the Forerunners. At which point I'll retire and live my immortal life with my VSD as a personal yacht (with multi-Teraton firepower).

:shock: Wow, didn't realize how long that post was... in any case, that is what you can do if you want with your ship. Though I call Halo. :D
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Hang on...if you want to have a massively powerful warship in ST/SG/HALO/BSG verse, AND you want something that can build you a fleet including Executors?

A VSD is most definitely NOT your best choice. It's not big enough for one thing, and depending on which estimates you use it doesn't have the firepower to take out the Borg Collective alone.

Do you really think that the ST universe, even with SW designs, could really build up the infrastructure to build Executors base don ONE VSD's worth of material? I doubt it matey.

Be better off getting an Executor or an Eclipse, or a World Devastator kitted out with planetary defence weaponry.

Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Hang on...if you want to have a massively powerful warship in ST/SG/HALO/BSG verse, AND you want something that can build you a fleet including Executors?

A VSD is most definitely NOT your best choice. It's not big enough for one thing, and depending on which estimates you use it doesn't have the firepower to take out the Borg Collective alone.

Do you really think that the ST universe, even with SW designs, could really build up the infrastructure to build Executors base don ONE VSD's worth of material? I doubt it matey.

Be better off getting an Executor or an Eclipse, or a World Devastator kitted out with planetary defence weaponry.
I know that the VSD is not big enough or strong enough for most of that stuff. I also know the Vic doesn't have enough materials. That's why I said I had a mini World Devastator in the hanger. And the designs to build bigger ones. Granted I didn't specify on when I was going to attack the Borg or Dominion, but it would wait till the WD could build bigger and better ships (and more WD's). That's why I said the Feddie's couldn't build the Imp designs. Granted I could keep the VSD idea, but change my scenario to using an SSD, with a full sized Devastator latched to the bow, and a captured VSD maned by a prize crew. And on the Halo subject, I did say the Covies could destroy even the upgraded Vic didn't I? As far as using an Executor instead with the WD on the bow does that work better? I guess I let my fanboyism of the Vic-Star get in the way of my logic...sorry about that. :oops:
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

You're in a situation where you can choose pretty much any combat ship in the history of Star Wars. If you are going to go and play savior to ST/HALO/BSG/SG whatever, why on Earth WOULDN'T you choose the most powerful vessel you can?

And if you love VSD's so much, fine, take a super-World Devastator and you can build a VSD later for your personal use if you so wish.

Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

You're in a situation where you can choose pretty much any combat ship in the history of Star Wars. If you are going to go and play savior to ST/HALO/BSG/SG whatever, why on Earth WOULDN'T you choose the most powerful vessel you can?

And if you love VSD's so much, fine, take a super-World Devastator and you can build a VSD later for your personal use if you so wish.
Point taken... like I said, fanboy beat out logic here. Not sure why I didn't just go with an Executor to start with or a super World Devastator... but I stand by the Vic on the looks point, if not the firepower point. And I figured that it would not be as scary for my 'allies' if I popped up in a Vic as opposed to an Executor.

Not that the Feddies in the Dominion War would complain, or the SGC in the Ori War. But hey, I'll just go with the Super Devastator (oh and I didn't want to copy your idea on the super WD, I don't like copying people if I can avoid it), and build a VSD to use as a yacht. Though I will keep at least one thing from the Vic idea, turning Janeway over to Q in exchange for eternal life.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

The exchange with Q is an interesting idea indeed.

And really, in a situation like this I think a super-WD is the only real choice. It allows indefinite operations, expansion and a buttload of firepower. It's already designed to be modified and upgraded, so intergrating one of those AR drives and a top-end Asgard hyperdrive shouldn't be too hard either.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

You know, I'm considering taking the Subjugator class (ie the Malevolence from The Clone Wars). Its supposedly fast, and can disable a fleet of Venators with one shot from the ion canons (which suits me fine, since I'm the kind of nice pacifist who if under attack would disable and run rather than kill).

Also looks like it has a lot of unused space inside, so I could probably add larger supply stores, more troops and support craft, more passenger space, etc. And its got nasty point defence (pretty much tore Anakin's Y-wing squadron a new one). Thing took a hell of a pounding and survived, too.

Or a Lucrehulk: the usefulness of this class is discussed in this thread: http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/viewtopic. ... 5&start=25

Got to hand it to the CIS: they had some decent ship designs.
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Is there even a choice?

Other:
Death Star II with a full complement of fighters, all Tai Defenders and Phantoms with Scimitars for bombers. The crew would also contain a full complement of the most elite Dark Trooper Phase III units. Furthermore, parts of it will be retrofitted to house massive shipyards like on the world devastators just for the lol.

Time and Place?
Hm... I'd have to go with the Star Trek Galaxy, 1 day before the events of Star Trek: Insurrection and in orbit of the planet in question. The plan is simple, ally with the good guys, kick both federation and stupid amish elf but and and take immortality for my self and my crew. After that steal federation technology like holodecs and replicators and proceed to death star my way through the galaxy consuming all its resources and destroying all in my wake. An eternal rule of an eternal emperor with his eternal crew on their eternal star station. Ruling over a dead and ruined galaxy, forever.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Other:
Death Star II with a full complement of fighters, all Tai Defenders and Phantoms with Scimitars for bombers. The crew would also contain a full complement of the most elite Dark Trooper Phase III units. Furthermore, parts of it will be retrofitted to house massive shipyards like on the world devastators just for the lol.

Time and Place?
Hm... I'd have to go with the Star Trek Galaxy, 1 day before the events of Star Trek: Insurrection and in orbit of the planet in question. The plan is simple, ally with the good guys, kick both federation and stupid amish elf but and and take immortality for my self and my crew. After that steal federation technology like holodecs and replicators and proceed to death star my way through the galaxy consuming all its resources and destroying all in my wake. An eternal rule of an eternal emperor with his eternal crew on their eternal star station. Ruling over a dead and ruined galaxy, forever.
And this is why I put the 'other' option in there. To see how many people would pick the DS 1 or 2 and blow everything up. Though this is more creative than I was expecting. And who else has an image of Klingon's charging Dark Troopers with random bladed weapon of the week? That would be a funny sight to see (beam it over to the rest of us in our ships! :D)
edaw1982
Padawan Learner

Post by edaw1982 »

I'm partial to the Acclamator. Sure, it may be under-gunned compared to other vessels, but they're a lot more versatile, if say you want to drop off your entire force instead of shuttles and transports going back and forth.
"Put book front and center. He's our friend, we should honour him. Kaylee, find that kid who's taking a dirt-nap with baby Jesus. We need a hood ornment. Jayne! Try not to steal too much of their sh*t!"
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Well here's a new idea...what would you do with the ship of your choice?

Here's what I mean, if you were stuck with your ship of choice in the ST/SG/Halo/BSG/SW galaxy what would you do with it? I realize that this is pretty much what the OP asked, but this is more a question on what you would do with the ship than which ship you would pick.

I'll stick with my VSD plan from earlier in the thread, but replace the Vic with a Super World Devastator like Eternal Freedom's.

P.S. To any mods who read this, if I need to start a new thread for any new things just let me know and I will.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

I'd...do exactly what I said in the original post. Kit it out with an Asgard hyperdrive and an alternate reality drive and offer my services as a defender to three or four different versions of Humanity.

Night_stalker
Retarded Spambot

Post by Night_stalker »

Personally, I'd snag myself a Executor, maybe with a few upgrades, mostly consisting of a cloaking system, more CIWS guns, and maybe even a full compliment of TIE fighters. That should prevent any lucky hostile snubfighters from taking down the Vindex.

Then, off to the nBSG universe. I'm going to need crew for my ship, and they'll want my help in finding Earth. Sounds good to me. All I have to do is fend off a few Cylon raids and they'll be begging to become part of the crew.
If Dr. Gatling was a nerd, then his most famous invention is the fucking Revenge of the Nerd, writ large...

"Lawful stupid is the paladin that charges into hell because he knows there's evil there."
—anonymous

"Although you may win the occasional battle against us, Vorrik, the Empire will always strike back."
StarSword
Jedi Knight

Post by StarSword »

"Other".

I choose the Scythe-class main battle cruiser from the Legacy comics. Small(ish) ship with a big forward battery of turbolasers. Based on Wookieepedia's description, flying one of those would be the closest thing in the SW universe to flying an M7 in X3: Terran Conflict: engage with the forward battery, and keep the enemy away from you with your other guns.

It'd be amusing to fly that thing in the X-universe: Star Wars firepower and defenses are totally out of proportion to anything they've got.
Star Carrier by Ian Douglas: Analysis and Talkback

The Vortex Empire: I think the real question is obviously how a supervolcano eruption wiping out vast swathes of the country would affect the 2016 election.
Borgholio: The GOP would blame Obama and use the subsequent nuclear winter to debunk global warming.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

And what happens when you run out of fuel and supplies in the x-universe? Can anyone there synthesise hypermatter for you? Or replacement proton torpedoes or concussion missiles, or spare parts for shield generators and turbolasers, or hyperdrives?

StarSword
Jedi Knight

Post by StarSword »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:And what happens when you run out of fuel and supplies in the x-universe? Can anyone there synthesise hypermatter for you? Or replacement proton torpedoes or concussion missiles, or spare parts for shield generators and turbolasers, or hyperdrives?
Given this little tidbit from the OP...
Skywalker_T-65 wrote:If you so choose, you can also have engineers on the ship who know how to build hypermatter refineries.
... I'm assuming I have the ability to manufacture them.
Star Carrier by Ian Douglas: Analysis and Talkback

The Vortex Empire: I think the real question is obviously how a supervolcano eruption wiping out vast swathes of the country would affect the 2016 election.
Borgholio: The GOP would blame Obama and use the subsequent nuclear winter to debunk global warming.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

But will you be able to build a refinery with onboard materials, before consumables run out whilst engaged in presumably heavy combat?

Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Other: Silencer-7 largest and mightiest of the World Devastators. Why? Well, I still have several thousand ground troops, and two years of supplies, but the main point is I have a flying factory that can consume asteroid belts, moons, or even entire planets over the course of a few months and turn them into all the SW tech I could want. Its even a Von Neuman machine.

And believe me, I'd add a database of every ship, droid, piece of tech, flying city etc.

Then go to the Stargate universe, set up on a quiet planet somewhere, may have to kick out the local 'god' and start recruiting for my new Starfleet. Eat up some uninhabited planets, make myself a few Star Destroyers, a few spares. Then approach SG earth with a deal, total technical exchange, they get SW tech, but I get access to all the goodies they find (and eventually Asgard tech, when they get it.)

That'd be a nice place to settle down, but if I get bored enough, there at least three demonstrated techniques of universe-jumping in the series...
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud