hyperspeed=lightspeed

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Mobird53
Redshirt

hyperspeed=lightspeed

Post by Mobird53 »

Correct if i'm wrong but doesn't han solo say a couple of times when he's about to make the jump. "hang on I'm gonna make the jump to light speed". That has always had me confused on how fast it really is. So then wouldn't Hyper speed really be light speed or??????????? what??
"It's Time to Kick ass and chew bubble gum, and I'm all outa bubble gum"
~Duke Nukem
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Because really talking to you is as enjoyable as a wall.

Dr. Curtis Saxton's explains what happens from movie evidence

And let's see if the next couple of posts you can make some coherent post, but I doubt it.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Re: hyperspeed=lightspeed

Post by The Vortex Empire »

Mobird53 wrote:Correct if i'm wrong but doesn't han solo say a couple of times when he's about to make the jump. "hang on I'm gonna make the jump to light speed". That has always had me confused on how fast it really is. So then wouldn't Hyper speed really be light speed or??????????? what??

Three words. Read the site. http://www.stardestroyer.net/Empire/ Read the whole thing, every word of it, and don't come back until you're done.
Last edited by The Vortex Empire on 2007-02-10 05:51pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tychu
Jedi Master

Post by Tychu »

Mobird53 wrote:Correct if i'm wrong but doesn't han solo say a couple of times when he's about to make the jump. "hang on I'm gonna make the jump to light speed". That has always had me confused on how fast it really is. So then wouldn't Hyper speed really be light speed or??????????? what??
lightspeed being used for hyperspeed is pretty much the same thing as a person who dosent know the difference between the wheel's of a car and the tires of the car. It seems Han was patroinizing Luke

but scientifically, relativitaly, practically. no object can travel AT the speed of light (lightspeed). It is hypothetical in real life, Star Wars, Star Trek, StarGate, any other Starverse that you can infact go faster than lightspeed and enter a void between dimensions.
Star Wars actually has a lower EU cannon level story (2 actually called OtherSpace) where "space" was white and "stars" were black pinpricks.

Also in Star Wars, Han says "It can push . 5(? why cant i remember that) past lightspeed" when he is defending his dear ship when Luke and Ben look incrediously at the Milennium Falcon

as for that site www.stardestroyer.net/empire ive been a member since the begining and i never heard of that until just now. crazy stuff

so for a final point
hyperspeed does not equal lightspeed (whats the alt + character funtion for the = sign with a slash?)
Last edited by Tychu on 2007-02-10 05:41pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Boring Conversation anyway" Han Solo

"What kinda archeologist carries a weapon........Bad Example" Colonel Jack O'Neil

"My name is Olo... Hans Olo" -Dr. Daniel Jackson

"Well you did make the Farmingdale Run in less than 12 parsecs" --Personal Quote

"Just popped out for lunch" - Rowan Atkinson as Mr. Bean
Aaron
Blackpowder Man

Post by Aaron »

Other than the links provided do you really think that the Falcon could go from the Outer Rim to Alderaan in less than a day if it was travelling at the speed of light?
M1891/30: A bad day on the range is better then a good day at work.
Mobird53
Redshirt

Post by Mobird53 »

Don't get me wrong i knew it was faster and all, it's just that this website and the other links provided say and show how fast it is but none of them explained why han said that, i was just curious as to what you guys thought.
~Duke Nukem
Sam Or I
Jedi Council Member

Post by Sam Or I »

I have always taken it as traveling at the speed of light in hyperspace (Assuming physics works differently).
Tychu
Jedi Master

Post by Tychu »

Mobird53 wrote:Don't get me wrong i knew it was faster and all, it's just that this website and the other links provided say and show how fast it is but none of them explained why han said that, i was just curious as to what you guys thought.
it seems that he was patrionizing Luke. Han knows its faster than lightspeed. he dosent expect Luke to know how fast hyperspeed really is so he uses lightspeed, Han assumes that Luke knows lightspeed is pretty darn fast (probally patroinizing the pre-science fiction/real science afficondos)

its pretty much the same concept as you telling your girlfriend that your Mustang has xhorsepower, xfuelvales and you tell her that it goes pretty damn fast but you know it can go 260
"Boring Conversation anyway" Han Solo

"What kinda archeologist carries a weapon........Bad Example" Colonel Jack O'Neil

"My name is Olo... Hans Olo" -Dr. Daniel Jackson

"Well you did make the Farmingdale Run in less than 12 parsecs" --Personal Quote

"Just popped out for lunch" - Rowan Atkinson as Mr. Bean
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Sam Or I wrote:I have always taken it as traveling at the speed of light in hyperspace (Assuming physics works differently).
Then it would make no sense since if such a point existed then any and all references to speed as well as other physical terms would be impossible since we don't have a common reference.

Literally it would also mean that one has to come up some evidence to show otherwise.

With that thought on one hand: "They go faster light" or "They have a different set of physics thus this why they go lightspeed.". One requires an immense more of explaination to make work in any circumstances.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Sam Or I
Jedi Council Member

Post by Sam Or I »

Ghost Rider wrote: With that thought on one hand: "They go faster light" or "They have a different set of physics thus this why they go lightspeed.". One requires an immense more of explaination to make work in any circumstances.
I was not saying their physics work differently, but physics in hyperspace works differently. Granted I have no proof. It was an assumption on my part, that hyperspace equals a different dimension. All physics would not be the same in this case. (But I am speeking out of my ass at this point, I assumed it all with nothing to really back it up.)

Edited for typos.
Sam Or I
Jedi Council Member

Post by Sam Or I »

My ASSumption explained. Physics in normal space for the SW verse are just like ours. Once a ship enters hyperspace, physics are slightly different, distance between planets is shorter, and light speed is not the barrier. So with the point five past light speed remark, I assumed that in hyperspace, with the set different physics, the falcon was capable of going faster than the speed of light with its hyperdrive.

Also going on this theory was the explination in my mind of how the Falcon got to Bespin. If the hyperdrive is the drive that allows a ship to move faster than light in hyperspace, it may have nothing to do with entering hyperspace. So in other words, the falcon could have entered hyperspace with its normal engines, not at the FTL speeds, but still could have taken advatage of the shortened distance hyperspace provides, just at sub light speeds.

This was just my pet theory to make the movies make sense in my mind. Maybe they are completely wrong, I do not read much of the EU, I have read only 2 books in the SW galaxy.
Mobird53
Redshirt

Post by Mobird53 »

I know i read somewhere that hyper space allows them to go fom one point to another in what ever amount of time they want. and that it's all just how much energy they can spare to put into the drive to make it go faster. Or something like that.
~Duke Nukem
HSRTG
Jedi Knight

Post by HSRTG »

Mobird53 wrote:none of them explained why han said that, i was just curious as to what you guys thought.
It's probably slang.
Kill one man, you're a murderer. Kill a million, a king. Kill them all, a god. - Anonymous
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

HSRTG wrote:
Mobird53 wrote:none of them explained why han said that, i was just curious as to what you guys thought.
It's probably slang.
Probably, it's like naming a species of lizard a dragon and then acting like it's an actual dragon. (I HAVE run into at least half a dozen people who think like this and used Komodo, Bearded, and Water Dragons as proof that Dragons exist; then they tried to argue that the special Discovery Channel did on Dragons was about how dragons are real and alive instead of a 'what if' thing)
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

'Jump to lightspeed' might just be a colloquialism for 'faster than light speed'. No need to go out of our way to explain it, though I suppose the ramp up to hyperspace could have a ship nearing 'light speed' there by granting the name/sloagan.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Master of Cards
Jedi Master

Post by Master of Cards »

Knife wrote:'Jump to lightspeed' might just be a colloquialism for 'faster than light speed'. No need to go out of our way to explain it, though I suppose the ramp up to hyperspace could have a ship nearing 'light speed' there by granting the name/sloagan.
or the jumpdrive for a millisecond goes the speed of light
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Sam Or I wrote:My ASSumption explained. Physics in normal space for the SW verse are just like ours. Once a ship enters hyperspace, physics are slightly different, distance between planets is shorter, and light speed is not the barrier. So with the point five past light speed remark, I assumed that in hyperspace, with the set different physics, the falcon was capable of going faster than the speed of light with its hyperdrive.

Also going on this theory was the explination in my mind of how the Falcon got to Bespin. If the hyperdrive is the drive that allows a ship to move faster than light in hyperspace, it may have nothing to do with entering hyperspace. So in other words, the falcon could have entered hyperspace with its normal engines, not at the FTL speeds, but still could have taken advatage of the shortened distance hyperspace provides, just at sub light speeds.

This was just my pet theory to make the movies make sense in my mind. Maybe they are completely wrong, I do not read much of the EU, I have read only 2 books in the SW galaxy.
Psst, Hyperspace isn't a separate dimension from Realspace: it's simply Realspace observed from a tachyonic (FTL) perspective.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Sam Or I
Jedi Council Member

Post by Sam Or I »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:
Sam Or I wrote:My ASSumption explained. Physics in normal space for the SW verse are just like ours. Once a ship enters hyperspace, physics are slightly different, distance between planets is shorter, and light speed is not the barrier. So with the point five past light speed remark, I assumed that in hyperspace, with the set different physics, the falcon was capable of going faster than the speed of light with its hyperdrive.

Psst, Hyperspace isn't a separate dimension from Realspace: it's simply Realspace observed from a tachyonic (FTL) perspective.
OK, no argument. I was just thinking along the lines of B-5 hyperspace, for what ever reason it is a brain bug I have. It most likely stems from Star Control 2.
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

Knife wrote:'Jump to lightspeed' might just be a colloquialism for 'faster than light speed'. No need to go out of our way to explain it, though I suppose the ramp up to hyperspace could have a ship nearing 'light speed' there by granting the name/sloagan.
This is what I always assumed it meant: you're literally ramping up to lightspeed and then (through what everyone assumes is some quantum effect that becomes relevant at very high velocities, very high relative mass, very small relative cross-section, or something) jumping over the lightspeed barrier.

I could see the language taking this term -- possibly jargon -- and then turning it into a colloquialism, so that "lightspeed" just means "hyperspace" (e.g., "Admiral Ozzel has brought us out of lightspeed too close to the system").
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

Tychu wrote:it seems that he was patrionizing Luke. Han knows its faster than lightspeed. he dosent expect Luke to know how fast hyperspeed really is so he uses lightspeed, Han assumes that Luke knows lightspeed is pretty darn fast (probally patroinizing the pre-science fiction/real science afficondos)
It's a bit more than that: recall that Obi Wan Kenobi pointedly asks how long it will be before Han can make the jump to lightspeed in that same segment of ANH. Also, when Gen. Veers reports to Lord Vader on the fleet's arrival at Hoth and the detection of the energy shield, Vader concludes that Adm. Ozzel brought the fleet out of lightspeed too close to the star system. In the SW paradigm, the term "lightspeed" would be the referent to all velocities attainable in hyperspace past the actual c limit in much the same way as we refer to "supersonic flight" today in terms of air travel past Dr. Mach's sound barrier.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
Tanasinn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tanasinn »

Mobird53 wrote:Don't get me wrong i knew it was faster and all, it's just that this website and the other links provided say and show how fast it is but none of them explained why han said that, i was just curious as to what you guys thought.
Probably just inaccurate slang. It's not unheard of, after all.
Truth fears no trial.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Surlethe wrote:
This is what I always assumed it meant: you're literally ramping up to lightspeed and then (through what everyone assumes is some quantum effect that becomes relevant at very high velocities, very high relative mass, very small relative cross-section, or something) jumping over the lightspeed barrier.

I could see the language taking this term -- possibly jargon -- and then turning it into a colloquialism, so that "lightspeed" just means "hyperspace" (e.g., "Admiral Ozzel has brought us out of lightspeed too close to the system").
you can have a choice, really. Either the 'jump to lightspeed' could refer to the actual 'hopp' over the c barrier, or as Degan points out, just jumping to ftl, much like we say supersonic now-a-days.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
PayBack
Padawan Learner

Post by PayBack »

Sam Or I wrote:
Spanky The Dolphin wrote:

Also going on this theory was the explanation in my mind of how the Falcon got to Bespin. If the hyper-drive is the drive that allows a ship to move faster than light in hyperspace, it may have nothing to do with entering hyperspace. So in other words, the falcon could have entered hyperspace with its normal engines, not at the FTL speeds, but still could have taken advantage of the shortened distance hyperspace provides, just at sub light speeds.

OK, no argument. I was just thinking along the lines of B-5 hyperspace, for what ever reason it is a brain bug I have. It most likely stems from Star Control 2.
I'd always thought of it the same way in my own personal universe :) They way it's talked about always makes it seem like it's an alternate space you jump into and out of as opposed to normal space from from the perspective of someone moving faster than light. I'd always thought the Hyperdrive motivator jumped you into this alternate space where your engines perform differently than in real space but are still used allowing your to reach and pass the speed of light without the use of infinite energy or being affected by time distortion issues. Just because it isn't Saxtons theory doesn't mean you can't hang on to it in private? :D
Marko Dash
Jedi Knight

Post by Marko Dash »

I've been trying to make sense of the hyperdrive classes, 2, 1, .5, etc.

My on personal theory is that the classes are based on time of transit, with ether a class 100 or 1000 being a lightspeed engine.
a class 1 would take 1% of the traval time of a class 100, or .1% of a class 1000.

I'm not sure if this holds any water on actual speed.
If a black-hawk flies over a light show and is not harmed, does that make it immune to lasers?
Darth Wong
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Post by Darth Wong »

A lot of silly questions about sci-fi would never be asked if people applied more of what they knew about real-life. Real-life is chock full of inaccurate, imprecise, or misleading terminology. Hell, it's common to say that you're "nuking" something when you put it in the fucking microwave oven!
"It's not evil for God to do it. Or for someone to do it at God's command."- Jonathan Boyd on baby-killing

"you guys are fascinated with the use of those "rules of logic" to the extent that you don't really want to discussus anything."- GC

"I do not believe Russian Roulette is a stupid act" - Embracer of Darkness

"Viagra commercials appear to save lives" - tharkûn on US health care.

http://www.stardestroyer.net/Mike/RantMode/Blurbs.html