SW Attitudes towards Autism/Asperger's Syndrome

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

genkkov
Redshirt

Post by genkkov »

Pervasive developmental delay is by and large not genetically passed down. There may be isolated incidents, but it's a multifactorial trait, so I'd be fairly suprised to see it.

Even if it were, apparently there is no ultrasound or prenatal care in star wars, even for a senator, so I doubt that they would do a very good job screening for it.
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

Even if it were, apparently there is no ultrasound or prenatal care in star wars, even for a senator, so I doubt that they would do a very good job screening for it.
You're evidence for this statement?

As for the Amidala exaple you will no doubt raise:
1. She was trying to keep her pregnancy, and the parentage of her offspring, as secret as possible. If she had visited a hospital for an ultrasound, it would have been plastered all over the tabloids by the next day.

2. She might simply have not wished to have a private medical droid check her womb, being too busy, or perhaps wishing to keep the child's gender (and number) a suprise.
The Rift
Stanislav Petrov- The man who saved the world
Hugh Thompson Jr.- A True American Hero
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope." - President Barack Obama
"May fortune favor you, for your goals are the goals of the world." - Ancient Chall valediction
Jedi Knight

Post by 000 »

All that, plus in a variety of other sources (the Thrawn Trilogy comes to mind) we're shown that there was a great deal of very sophistocated pre-natal care.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

gladius wrote:And this all has... what to do with Star Wars?
Nothing, really. Mostly it just seems to be Dakarne proselytizing his own mental disability...
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

genkkov wrote:Pervasive developmental delay is by and large not genetically passed down. There may be isolated incidents, but it's a multifactorial trait, so I'd be fairly suprised to see it.

Actually the novel clarifies there is and this is available to any level of galactic citizen.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Publius
Jedi Council Member

Post by Publius »

NecronLord wrote:
FTeik wrote:Do they? As far as i know, little indicates, that they have those abilities or that those are widespread.
They can make storm troopers literally incapable of betraying the empire. I think fixing a few brain abnormalities is easy in comparison.
To say nothing of the fact that the GeNodes have fully developed personalities and memories, are "too polite" to discuss cloning with other clones of the same template -- and indeed are incapable of realizing that they themselves are clones. The Empire was able to genetically engineer a disease that could create starcharts in the sufferer's eyes that could be then be analyzed and traced to the victim's original location. It has in fact demonstrated genetic engineering far in excess of the Vong in terms of specialization and sheer complexity; Palpatine's Galactic Empire is not Cleon II's, and its work on the microscopic scale is as adept as its works on the astronomical scale. Modification of the human brain is a trifling matter compared to some of the Empire's other projects.
God's in His Heaven, all's right with the world
FTeik
Jedi Council Member

Post by FTeik »

My apologies, i somehow mixed Mr.Beans genetic engineering with Spanky's comment on brain-surgery/manipulation.
What i wanted to ask about was the genetic engineering to eliminate such diseases as well as the creation of "designer kids" and the improvement of the human genome.
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:
gladius wrote:And this all has... what to do with Star Wars?
Nothing, really. Mostly it just seems to be Dakarne proselytizing his own mental disability...
"It's not a disability OMG!"
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Dakarne
Village Idiot

Post by Dakarne »

It isn't a disability, I'm not disabled in any way.
WyrdNyrd
Jedi Knight

Post by WyrdNyrd »

Dakarne wrote:It isn't a disability, I'm not disabled in any way.
I'm sorry, you're posting on a Star Wars-vs-Star Trek board, yet you claim not to have any mental defects? Do you not see the contradiction? :wink:
Dakarne
Village Idiot

Post by Dakarne »

I didn't say I wasn't a nerd lol
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

I'm sorry but yes it is and yes you are. Autism is a mental disibility. It isn't some damn thing to embrace and be proud of like racial or ethnic background.
Dakarne
Village Idiot

Post by Dakarne »

I'm sorry but yes it is and yes you are. Autism is a mental disibility. It isn't some damn thing to embrace and be proud of like racial or ethnic background.
Ahem:

It affects people differently. And I'm one of the lucky ones, who gains benefits, a few quirks, but benefits nontheless.

but isn't this supposed to be Star Wars Cultural attitudes towards said aspects.

I think the Jedi would just train them to be obsessed with the force... making them so powerful it's hard to imagine.
Firefox
Jedi Council Member

Post by Firefox »

A cursory Google search would demonstrate that many others think otherwise.
Dakarne
Village Idiot

Post by Dakarne »

I don't use Google, I prefer Yahoo to be honest, but I see half of these essays and think "Arrogant Pricks". I doubt anyone else with Asperger's Knows how I feel about it, and I doubt that I'd know how they deal with it.

It affects us all differently, mine has quirks sure, but I quirks I can handle.

I don't have one stereotyped aspect of Asperger's that is commonly seen, the Inability to understand humour.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

That's just too bad. It doesn't matter if there are some perceived "positives" about being autistic or having Asperger's Syndrome, they're still classified as mental disabilities by the scientific medical community, listed in the DSM-IV, and you frankly just can't keep sugar-coating it and remaining in denial.

You strike me as one of those weirdoes in the deaf community who ramble on about and embrace "deaf culture," acting like being unable to hear is for some reason a good thing...
Dakarne
Village Idiot

Post by Dakarne »

That's just too bad. It doesn't matter if there are some perceived "positives" about being autistic or having Asperger's Syndrome, they're still classified as mental disabilities by the scientific medical community, listed in the DSM-IV, and you frankly just can't keep sugar-coating it and remaining in denial.
Classed as doesn't nessecarily mean that it is a Disability, I'm not "Mentally Disabled" quite the opposite in fact.
You strike me as one of those weirdoes in the deaf community who ramble on about and embrace "deaf culture," acting like being unable to hear is for some reason a good thing...
Being unable to hear is a bad thing, Being capable of calculating maths really quickly in your head is a good thing. Being capable of viewing the world in a different light is a good thing.

Just because some arrogant scientists think everyone should be uniform doesn't nessecarily make it true. I'm also perfectly capable of hearing (my eyesight could use some work though).
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Dakarne wrote:
Classed as doesn't nessecarily mean that it is a Disability, I'm not "Mentally Disabled" quite the opposite in fact.
Yes it does, no matter how much you shake your head and pretend it isn't. Oh geez, who has the better perspective: the scientific medical community or one diagnosed with said mental disibility?

I myself grew up with a strong case of ADHD, but over time and taking medication for it has more or less nullified it, but I still suffer from it's effects. Sure, I may have some different perspective and be a bit more creative than I would be without it, but I don't embrace the fact that I have ADHD like it's the same as being Jewish or black, and actually recognise the fact that I am mentally disabled, and would prefer that I wasn't.

Oh, and nice that you've revealed your anti-science perspective. I figured that probably had to be the case...
Last edited by Spanky The Dolphin on 2005-08-02 11:47am, edited 2 times in total.
Tiger Ace
Jedi Knight

Post by Tiger Ace »

You realise that in social terms, being unable to completly understand other human beings is a very big problem? Nowdays its possible to be a recluse, but what happens when you must work in a team?
Useless geek posting above.

Its Ace Pace.
Dakarne
Village Idiot

Post by Dakarne »

Oh, and nice that you've revealed your anti-science perspective. I figured that probably had to be the case...
No, I said ARROGANT scientists who know little about what they speak, are they me? No. Do they have my life? No.

Am I disabled? As much as you'd insist on the Contrary, No.

I'm not disabled... I can read people well, responding is the trick, and I'm improving on that front, but I won't have my personality (surgcially) altered in any way, just to be socially acceptable.

If I'm going to have a cure, it's going to be through my own willpower, (and wasn't this thread STILL supposed to be Star Wars reactions, not debating whether or not I should be cured)
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Dakarne wrote:
No, I said ARROGANT scientists who know little about what they speak, are they me? No. Do they have my life? No.
Who decided which scientists are supposedly arrogant? You?
Utsanomiko
The Legend Rado Tharadus

Post by Utsanomiko »

Dakarne wrote:(and wasn't this thread STILL supposed to be Star Wars reactions, not debating whether or not I should be cured)
Perhaps, but you went off that subject on your 3rd sentence and made it about yourself in your second post.
By His Word...
Dakarne
Village Idiot

Post by Dakarne »

Perhaps, but you went off that subject on your 3rd sentence and made it about yourself in your second post.
I was using an example... it just inflated a bit (understatement of the year).
Who decides whether I should be cured or not? You?

I decide for myself.... you don't have the right to decide for me.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Dakarne wrote:
Who decides whether I should be cured or not? You?

I decide for myself.... you don't have the right to decide for me.
I never fucking said you should be cured or not, and frankly I don't fucking care. I only have reservations about your denial that autism and AS are recognised mental disabilities and embracing it like some form of heritage or status point to be proud of.
Dakarne
Village Idiot

Post by Dakarne »

I never fucking said you should be cured or not, and frankly I don't fucking care.
You shouldn't fucking swear, and why are you still going on about it then.
I only have reservations about your denial that autism and AS are recognised mental disabilities and embracing it like some form of heritage or status point to be proud of.
Actually... in MY SPECIFIC CASE OF ASPERGER'S SYNDROME.... (which will now be referred to as MSCOAS) I have a lesser version which makes me able to adapt to a social situation... (I don't get too uncomfortable around crowds anymore, unless it's loud)

But, MSCOAS isn't nessessarily a bad or good thing, it's just there.

I'm not mentally disabled... (which implies Mental Retardation by the words alone) I am merely different, and I want to remain different, is that too much to ask?