Your favorite game trailer

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman
Jedi Council Member

Your favorite game trailer

Post by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman »

Not to be confused with 'opening sequence', but those usually included in your CD to advertise other products launched by the publisher.

Well, here are mine:

Wing Commander IV. "The strong shall survive!", anyone?

Jane's F-15.

Crusader: No Regret. Love the 'burn' part.
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

The latest BF2 one is pretty addicting. Dawn of War had a pretty cool video released a month before the beta was opened, IIRC.
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

BF2 Wetlands kicks ass
Dawn of War's Intro which they used as a trailer kicked much ass
HL2's Wake up and Smell the Ashs

Best however so far is Mersenary's Playground of Destruction's 30 second TV spots, "Blow things up, "Blow things up some more, "Blow the heck out of it"

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Best however so far is Mersenary's Playground of Destruction's 30 second TV spots, "Blow things up, "Blow things up some more, "Blow the heck out of it"
Ah, I saw that in passing the other day. Looked pretty good.

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
Jedi Council Member

Ah, I left out this one: WarCraft: Lord of The Clans. "Blackmoore! Tonight you sleep in hell!" Very memorable. Too bad the game itself was never released on the first place. Imagine an 'old school' adventure game in WarCraft universe, when you're playing as Thrall.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Anything Metal Gear Solid or Grand Theft Auto. Final Fantasy is always good too.
Chris OFarrell
Durandal's Bitch

Post by Chris OFarrell »

Mechwarrior II. Merceneries.

The other Mech 2 videos were all good for the other 2 games. But this one set the scene so damn well. A dark and grity city, no nice straight up clan fighting with sophisticated weapons. Just running like hell from the bad guys...and the chick being left behind as the Catapult blows her away....then the Dropship Captian says:

"Look at the bright side Kid....you get to keep all the money...."
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

Okay, seriously, there is but ONE trailer that deserves top place.

Star Trek: Secret of Vulcan Fury
Symmetry
Jedi Master

Post by Symmetry »

Chrono Cross: Loved the trailer, which had the same music as the intro.
SDN Rangers: Gunnery Officer

They may have claymores and Dragons, but we have Bolos and Ogres.
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

I liked the Heavy Gear trailer.
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

the final fantasy trailers are almost always pure gold. at least ever since 7 anyway.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Jedi Council Member

Darth_Zod wrote:the final fantasy trailers are almost always pure gold. at least ever since 7 anyway.
I don't play PS (I'm a PC purist :wink: ), but I got that one in AVI format. Isn't that the short movie where Squall Leonheart had a duel with Seiffer Almasy?

Pretty cool, seems more movie trailer than game, IMHO.
Shinova
Emperor's Hand

Post by Shinova »

The Chrono Cross one stuck out to me, for some reason. The DoW intro movie's pretty good. As is the Gman's speech for HL2.

That FEAR demo trailer's really good. The 10 minute one.
What's her bust size!?

It's over NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAND!!!!!!!!!
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

The BF2 one with the screens was awesome.

The HL2 trailers were golden.

Zelda trailer, need I say more?

Rome Total War trailers.

Homeworld 2 trailer just oozed plot.

I'll add more as I remember them :x
Brotherhood of the Bear | HAB | Mess | SDnet archivist |
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:
Darth_Zod wrote:the final fantasy trailers are almost always pure gold. at least ever since 7 anyway.
I don't play PS (I'm a PC purist :wink: ), but I got that one in AVI format. Isn't that the short movie where Squall Leonheart had a duel with Seiffer Almasy?

that'd be the trailer for FF8. though yeah, was pretty cool. sadly the games past 7 haven't been as great as the trailers portray them. lots of disappointments since 7 has been released. :?
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Jedi Council Member

Darth_Zod wrote:

that'd be the trailer for FF8. though yeah, was pretty cool. sadly the games past 7 haven't been as great as the trailers portray them. lots of disappointments since 7 has been released. :?
I like the theme song, Eyes on Me. Who's the singer, by the way?
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Darth_Zod wrote:
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote: I don't play PS (I'm a PC purist :wink: ), but I got that one in AVI format. Isn't that the short movie where Squall Leonheart had a duel with Seiffer Almasy?

I like the theme song, Eyes on Me. Who's the singer, by the way?
Faye Wong. there's also this nifty techno remix version that was made for dance dance revolution i came across a few months ago.
Jedi Council Member

Darth_Zod wrote:
Faye Wong. there's also this nifty techno remix version that was made for dance dance revolution i came across a few months ago.
Ah, Faye Wong! Thanks.

Another trailer I've left out is StarCraft (found on Diablo CD), which also happens to be the game's own intro. Rednecks in space, wouldn't it be cool? :)
Last edited by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman on 2005-01-15 05:58am, edited 1 time in total.
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Well, if intros released before the game count as trailers, then Dawn of War completely annihilates all competition. :P

Jedi Council Member

Speaking on trailers, what would you imagine when the words "game trailer" come into your mind? FMV with real actors like those of Wing Commander? SGI-generated scenes with motion-captured movements? Video sequences showing the actual gameplay itself?

Would you believe me if game "trailer" was first started at 1988? Yes, it was included in Microprose's Red Storm Rising, advertising F-19 Stealth Fighter, Pirates!, Airborne Rangers, and Gunship. It was of course primitive by today standard, utilizing "crude" animation in 16-color EGA and Adlib "fake" sound effects, but during that time, it was really a blast!
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Wake up and smell the ashes...

Dawn of War

The Sims 2 one with the guy going through life getting knocked back by girl till he meets the hornbag and has a family - had my friends and I rolling on the ground laughing for about 5 minutes.

F.E.A.R - the 30 second "action snapshot" = I WANT THAT FUCKING GAME!
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

weemadando wrote:Wake up and smell the ashes...

Dawn of War

The Sims 2 one with the guy going through life getting knocked back by girl till he meets the hornbag and has a family - had my friends and I rolling on the ground laughing for about 5 minutes.

F.E.A.R - the 30 second "action snapshot" = I WANT THAT FUCKING GAME!
What about the full size movie? would it count as a trailer?
Brotherhood of the Bear | HAB | Mess | SDnet archivist |
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Re: Your favorite game trailer

Post by wautd »

Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote: Crusader: No Regret. Love the 'burn' part.
Good one. That was one bloody badass intro.

also:
most recent: Warhammer: dawn of war
Starcraft, especially from broodwars (with the trenches and all)
Diablo2? (don't remember it but the cutscenes were kickass tough)

More will follow
Jedi Council Member

Re: Your favorite game trailer

wautd wrote:
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote: Crusader: No Regret. Love the 'burn' part.
Good one. That was one bloody badass intro.
Actually I've got a very personal story with that one.

See, the company I work were arranging a (promotional) seminar for Navision products it sells. Since it's a small company, everyone was involved (including DBA like me) for the preparation (why my boss didn't just hire a pro event organizer? sigh...).

The night before the seminar, everyone was busy in the ballroom to make sure everything's ok. They were using my notebook to test the projector. Thanks God I *did* remember to change my Britney nude wallpaper to something else *before* the testing.

So they needed a video to test if the sound system work as well for the connected notebook. My boss expected some Micro$$oft executive interviews AVI for that purpose, but since I don't have one, I thought I was gonna use one of my collection of game trailers instead (or anything I've downloaded from spacebattles). I almost used the STvsSW AVI when the twisted inside spoke, "why don't use the Crusader trailer instead?"

Then I, standing on the podium, played my Crusader: No Regret trailer while cranking the volume all the way up. Everyone stopped working, staring at the big screen wondering what the hell was played. And when the burning scene came out, I moaned to the microphone in sync with the the painful moan of the burned person, trying my best to imitate the scream, while twisting my face in such psychopathic expression as I was both painfully burning myself and enjoying the burn.

And on the following day, all of my co-workers suddenly became excessively nice to me, and my boss hurriedly issued my performance bonus which had been delayed for several weeks.

Strange.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Fun story.

A shame i cant run no regret anymore. I'd really like to see the movie again :(