SD.net pen & paper multiplayer RPG?

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman
Jedi Council Member

SD.net pen & paper multiplayer RPG?

Post by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman »

I don't know if it's gonna work, but maybe we could create SD.net multiplayer RPG, traditional pen-and-paper style.

Here's the basic idea:

- A thread is a game.
- One is elected as DM (probably a mod), while others are the player.
- A player act by post. If the post is an attack during combat (ex. RayCav attack a troll using Broadsword), the damage is calculated by third party, probably the DM (to aviod cheating).
- All players elect a "party leaders" to make decision which is affected the whole team ("You encounter a party of orcs. What are you going to do?" (F)lee, (P)arlay, (C)ombat).
- The premise, story, and basic setup (equipments, statistic, etc) are posted by the DM before all players can play. Player's statistics are updated time-to-time when necessary:

Note: examples below are not in detail and just reflecting general idea.

Example: a post about player statistic (posted by DM)

SirNitram
Magic-User
HP: 30
AC: 3
Equipment:
- Staff +1 (1D4+1)
- Dagger (2D3)
- Robe (-1 AC)

phongn
Knight
HP: 63
AC: -2
Equipment:
- Broadsword (2D8)
- Shield (-1 AC)
- Full Plate Mail (-4 AC)

Faram
Fighter
HP: 70
Equipment:
- Battle Axe+1 (1D10+1)
- Shield (-1 AC)
- Chain Mail Armor (-2 AC)

Example: a post consisting monster-attacking act (posted by player. In this example, SirNitram)

SirNitram attacks orc using Staff

Example: a post consisting the result of the attack (posted by DM. In this example, the post is made to reply Nitram's post above)

SirNitram caused 5 points of damage. Orc's HP is reduced to 21.

Well, that's the general idea. Whaddya think, guys?
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

I've done such before over the 'net, though usually through MUSH-type servers.(Usually abandoned ones which I still have wizard access to.. I'm a DM, what can I say?)
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Jedi Council Member

SirNitram wrote:I've done such before over the 'net, though usually through MUSH-type servers.(Usually abandoned ones which I still have wizard access to.. I'm a DM, what can I say?)
How about doing that in web discussion board like SD.net? Will it be difficult?
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:
SirNitram wrote:I've done such before over the 'net, though usually through MUSH-type servers.(Usually abandoned ones which I still have wizard access to.. I'm a DM, what can I say?)
The main difficulty I see is that it could take hours to conduct a single encounter if one of the players isn't here. Also, we have to consider how many posts that would take up over the course of even one adventure. Bandwidth is neither infinite nor free.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
SirNitram

Post by SirNitram »

Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:
Only in the timing sense. By necessity of this medium, it'll run slower, but it'll also be slightly more friendly to longer-term adventures in that manner. There's no need to grab everyone at once: As long as actions are stated and left on the board, the DM can round them all up. Still, that would make battles difficult. If I had to choose what 'setting' for such a campaign, I'd choose AD&D's Planescape. It strongly favors RP and problem solving instead of monster bashing.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Mark S
The Quiet One

Post by Mark S »

Seems very sterile to read. That may be just me though. Lots of work for the DM too. You'd really have to want to do it.
Writer's Guild 'Ghost in the Machine'/Decepticon 'Devastator'/BOTM 'Space Ape'/Justice League 'The Tick'
"The best part of 'believe' is the lie."
It's always the quiet ones.
SirNitram

Post by SirNitram »

Sterility comes quite often if the person describing things is dull. I tend to describe the effects as more along the lines of 'Nitram's staff catches the lizardlike creature in the midsection, knocking it back and winding it badly', or the ever popular, 'A single chop of Phong's hands swiftly cleaves the man's head from his shoulders, with the appropriate spray of blood and gore'.

If bandwidth is an issue here, it could be run on a MUSH. I think I know one where I have administrative access enough to run things.

Post by Guest »

Mark S wrote:Seems very sterile to read. That may be just me though. Lots of work for the DM too. You'd really have to want to do it.
Dice calculation can be done using small VB apps (I think I've written one some years ago... hmmm.. gotta find it. Doesn't need to be integrated with the board, though). But yes, I agree with you. The DM has to constantly monitor a game (because he has to resolve many things, like the damage inflicted by a player).

But I think SD.net multiplayer RPG can work for short games. It would strain the players and the DM in long campaigns, but short games may be nice.

Post by Guest »

I'm thinking about the theme now. It doesn't have to be medieval/fantasy RPG, does it? How about a sci-fi RPG, set in Star Wars meets Star Trek universe? Maybe we can create a short game about that (playing Stormtroopers in a mission to capture a GCS.

The characters don't have to be individual. It could be ships (ala Privateer). It could be fighters (TIE Fighters have same statistics but the pilots don't).

After all, this is a Star Wars vs Star Trek forum, ain't it?
Jedi Council Member

Goddammit. I posted as Guest again. AAARRRGGHHHH!!!!!!
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

I intentionally use the subSilver theme, as I instantly know when I've been logged off by the system.
Keevan_Colton
Emperor's Hand
Location: In the Land of Logic and Reason, two doors down from Lilliput and across the road from Atlantis...

Post by Keevan_Colton »

If people want to run RP's here I'd be more than happy to DM it all.....I've plenty of experience from my time in the Star Wars Combine
"Prodesse Non Nocere."
"It's all about popularity really, if your invisible friend that tells you to invade places is called Napoleon, you're a loony, if he's called Jesus then you're the president."
"I'd drive more people insane, but I'd have to double back and pick them up first..."
"All it takes for bullshit to thrive is for rational men to do nothing." - Kevin Farrell, B.A. Journalism.
BOTM - EBC - Horseman - G&C - Vampire
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

I would love to play...It will be difficult...but

MAGIC USER I WILL BE!
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
SirNitram

Post by SirNitram »

Alyrium Denryle wrote:I would love to play...It will be difficult...but

MAGIC USER I WILL BE!
You'll roll 3d6 like everyone else.

Slartibartfast
Emperor's Hand

Post by Slartibartfast »

Why not play SW D6? The rules are easy to pirate...
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

SirNitram wrote:
Alyrium Denryle wrote:I would love to play...It will be difficult...but

MAGIC USER I WILL BE!
You'll roll 3d6 like everyone else.
Yes yes yes

Bringing out gold d6s

6+6=6=18
2+5+5=12
4+4+6=14
6+4+5=15
6+4+5=15
6+5+3=14

they love rolling 5s 6s and 4s...

Str:15
dex:15
con:14
int:18
wis:12
Char:14

Damage+1
max weight:55
max press:170
open doors:8
bend bars:7%

Defense adj: -1

spell level:9
chance to learn: 85%
spells per leve:18

mx henchmen:6
loyalty base:+1
reaction adj:+2
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Anarchist Bunny
Foul, Cruel, and Bad-Tempered Rodent

Post by Anarchist Bunny »

I'd do a game if it was DnD, maybe we could use a combonation of the boards and the IRC chat room to the get it done(for situations like fights, or maybe just more important fights.)
//This Line Blank as of 7/15/07\\
Ornithology Subdirector: SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences
Wiilite
The Dark
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Dark »

I was going to say, why not use the IRC room to actually play, then post to the thread after each session to keep a log of what has happened with the group. Much simpler IMHO.
Stanley Hauerwas wrote:[W]hy is it that no one is angry at the inequality of income in this country? I mean, the inequality of income is unbelievable. Unbelievable. Why isn’t that ever an issue of politics? Because you don’t live in a democracy. You live in a plutocracy. Money rules.
BattleTech for SilCore
Jedi Council Member

The Dark wrote:I was going to say, why not use the IRC room to actually play, then post to the thread after each session to keep a log of what has happened with the group. Much simpler IMHO.
Sounds like a good idea. IRC room can handle combat much faster than posting on the board (unless we really want to raise our postcount :twisted: ) . Besides, on IRC we can use scripts to help dice rolling. The thread can be used as log to keep the game updated, or for initial setup, or back story, such things. Good idea. Why I haven't thought 'bout that before?

OK, who's gonna start the first game?
Newtonian Fury
Padawan Learner

Post by Newtonian Fury »

Which pen and paper RPG are you guys thinking about? I'm only familiar with the D20 system cuz I do D&D 3ed. I've managed to forget the 1ed rules after I found out how much more efficient and uncomplicated 3ed is.
The three best things in life are a good landing, a good orgasm, and a good bowel movement. The night carrier landing is one of the few opportunities in life where you get to experience all three at the same time. -Unknown
Faram
Bastard Operator from Hell

Re: SD.net pen & paper multiplayer RPG?

Post by Faram »

Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:Faram
Fighter
Equipment:
- Battle Axe+1 (1D10+1)
- Shield (-1 AC)
Yee I'm a fighter! Me smash stuff :D
[img=right]http://hem.bredband.net/b217293/warsaban.gif[/img]

"Either God wants to abolish evil, and cannot; or he can, but does not want to. ... If he wants to, but cannot, he is impotent. If he can, but does not want to, he is wicked. ... If, as they say, God can abolish evil, and God really wants to do it, why is there evil in the world?" -Epicurus

Fear is the mother of all gods.

Nature does all things spontaneously, by herself, without the meddling of the gods. -Lucretius
Hotfoot

Post by Hotfoot »

*weeps bitterly at the total lack of mention of Dream Pod 9 or the Silhouette System and dons his robes of the DP9 Evangelist*

Ah well...soon Core Command will be out, and with it, Core Silhouette. Then I can pimp the rules system to any who would listen. Ah simplicity, elegance, robustness. No rules system is perfect, but Silhouette is the best I've ever come across. It's very easy to learn and use, and doesn't require constantly looking at endless tables and charts. Combat is paced quite nicely as a result, and much more believable than in the system used by D&D 3rd Ed.
Do not meddle in the affairs of insomniacs, for they are cranky and can do things to you while you sleep.
The Realm of Confusion
"Every time you talk about Teal'c, I keep imagining Thor's ass. Thank you very much for that, you fucking fucker." -Marcao
SG-14: Because in some cases, "Recon" means "Blow up a fucking planet or die trying."
SilCore Wiki! Come take a look!
Keevan_Colton
Emperor's Hand
Location: In the Land of Logic and Reason, two doors down from Lilliput and across the road from Atlantis...

Post by Keevan_Colton »

I'm fond of white wolf's system.....Werewolf, Vampire....I'm partial to them all.... :D
"Prodesse Non Nocere."
"It's all about popularity really, if your invisible friend that tells you to invade places is called Napoleon, you're a loony, if he's called Jesus then you're the president."
"I'd drive more people insane, but I'd have to double back and pick them up first..."
"All it takes for bullshit to thrive is for rational men to do nothing." - Kevin Farrell, B.A. Journalism.
BOTM - EBC - Horseman - G&C - Vampire
Damaramu
Jedi Master

Post by Damaramu »

Check out THIS site to get a good idea of how it all can work.

Just wish I knew how they were figuring out combat and such. Guess I should read their faqs. 8)
Jedi Council Member

Re: SD.net pen & paper multiplayer RPG?

Faram wrote:
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:Faram
Fighter
Equipment:
- Battle Axe+1 (1D10+1)
- Shield (-1 AC)
Yee I'm a fighter! Me smash stuff :D
Fighter's cool. I usually choose fighter when Knight/Paladin is not avaialble in the given RPG system.