Let's talk about Chivalry

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Let's talk about Chivalry

Post by Alferd Packer »

Being the first new game I've bought in a year, I'm having a ton of fun with it. I usually wear this giant shit-eating grin while I'm playing, no matter how piss-poor I'm doing (I don't play a lot of games, so my skills in general are laughable).

It switches mindlessly over the top hilarious gorefest to a team-oriented, goal driven gorefest. The classes you can play as are distinct in the roles and abilities, and each have clear advantages and disadvantages. The weapons are balanced (except for the fucking halberd) and none of them are totally pointless. There are definitely worse things to spend 17 dollars on; no buyer's remorse here.

So, does anyone else play this silly little game? I'd definitely be down for some SD.net shenanigans (maybe do some dueling, that sort of thing), even if I'm the one getting my skull caved in more often than not.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
KhorneFlakes
Padawan Learner

Re: Let's talk about Chivalry

Post by KhorneFlakes »

I've heard about it. I'm fascinated, but PayPal is being a real pain in the ass with Steam at the moment, so I'm not sure if I can grab it.
Dread Not
Padawan Learner

Post by Dread Not »

I'm quite tempted to get it while it's 50% off on Steam. What's the community like? Does it have a decent following?
Broken
Padawan Learner

Post by Broken »

I've heard good things about the game, but have not played it. Isn't it the retail version of a mod or something?
"If you're caught with an ounce of cocaine, the chances are good you're going to jail. Evidently, if you launder nearly $1 billion for drug cartels and violate our international sanctions, your company pays a fine and you go home and sleep in your own bed at night." Senator Elizabeth Warren (D-MA)

The Noldor are the Wise, and the Golden, the Valiant, the Sword-elves, the Elves of the Earth, the Foes of Melkor, the Skilled of Hand, the Jewel-wrights, the Companions of Men, the Followers of Finwë.
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

Dread Not wrote:I'm quite tempted to get it while it's 50% off on Steam. What's the community like? Does it have a decent following?
I'm not really sure how to describe the community, but I have never had trouble finding a game. You might not find a low-ping server early in the morning for your timezone (I tend to play at times most gamers in my area are sound asleep), but you'll have no such trouble during peak times.

I think that, since there's no enormous benefit to grinding out all of the weapons (other than unlocking new ones, you don't get accuracy or damage bonuses to any weapons if you make a lot of kills with them), it tends to discourage those who are just there to rack up cheevos.
Broken wrote:I've heard good things about the game, but have not played it. Isn't it the retail version of a mod or something?
Apparently, yes. It was a mod for HL2, but now it's its own thing. There are definitely still bugs, but the rate of hacking is low (and since there's no meaningful experience point system, you can just leave a match and go to a different server), and there's a sizeable update coming out in January that has new maps, weapons, and bugfixes.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.