Monitor innards question (FFC cables)

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

El Moose Monstero
Moose Rebellion Ambassador
Location: The Cradle of the Rebellion... Oop Nowrrth, Like...

Monitor innards question (FFC cables)

Post by El Moose Monstero »

Hey peeps, sorry to clutter up G&C with a one shot question, but I need some clarification. I've managed to get my hands on an OHP and an old TFT monitor for nothing, so was looking at building one of those projector systems.

Disassembled the monitor ok, but need one of those FFC extension kits. Which is fine, there's a site I've got. I'm just a little unclear about the FFC cable identification,

It says on wiki that: "we Can Calculate the Pitch of any FFC cable.For Pitch Calculation need to know how many conductors are present in cable and width of the cable then simply divide cable width with the number of conductor result will be pitch of FFC"

Does this mean the number of pins at the end of the cable, rather than the number of individual connections laid out on the ribbon itself? Because I have a 20 pin connection, which narrows down to only 12 discrete "wires" on the cable, before going back to 20 pin on the lead. It seems like a stupid question, but I read that the wrong lead can be disastrous, so just want to get it right. If anyone can help, that would be ace!
"...a fountain of mirth, issuing forth from the penis of a cupid..." ~ Dalton / Winner of the 'Frank Hipper Most Horrific Drag EVAR' award - 2004 / The artist formerly known as The_Lumberjack.

Evil Brit Conspiracy: Token Moose Obsessed Kebab Munching Semi Geordie