CharlieOscarDelta (CoD4: Modern Warfare)

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

CharlieOscarDelta (CoD4: Modern Warfare)

Post by weemadando »

The trailer (available on the filesharing network/gaming site of your choice) looks fantastic, and with Infinity Ward developing, I'm VERY hopeful. Looks like we're keeping the US/UK/Russian split, looked like Middle Eastern campaign for US, SAS doing their CRW (counter-revolutionary warfare) thing and Russians in Chechnya or similar.

And it looks hot. Infinity Ward can have my money ANY time.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

I have no idea what you're talking about whatsoever. Do you mean Call of Duty?

EDIT: ah, you do.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

That was incredibly cinematic. I greatly enjoyed CoD2, heard terrible things about 3, so hopefully this will live up to my own personal hype.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Well, the key thing is that no.3 wasn't made by Infinity Ward (IIRC) and was thus, total rubbish.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

I'd love to download this movie, but unfortunately my bandwith has been throttled back to 64kbps for the remainder of the month, so I have to wait until Tuesday. :cry:
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

All of the CoD games sans the Console spin offs have been great buys. Tons of great moments even if they were the 47th World War II game. It will be interesting to see how they run "Modern" warfare.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Laughing Mechanicus
Jedi Knight

Post by Laughing Mechanicus »

There's a 60fps high definition of this trailer available here. Beware it's 360MB!

I have to say that this has me excited. The Call of Duty series, while not being hugely realistic, has always been good fun and intensely atmospheric. I'm also glad it appears they have kept the ability to play the various countries - can't way to play as the Russians in particular.

I'm looking forward to playing a well crafted single player experience in the modern setting, the only modern FPS games I can think of off hand are either super 'realistic'/America-centric games (e.g. Tom Clancy's XY) or online centric games.
Last edited by Laughing Mechanicus on 2007-04-29 05:55pm, edited 1 time in total.
Indie game dev, my website: SlowBladeSystems. Twitter: @slowbladesys
Also officer of the Sunday Simmers, a Steam group for war game and simulation enthusiasts
Arrow
Jedi Council Member

Post by Arrow »

I thought I saw a mushroom cloud. I did! I did!

This one is on my must buy list!

(now if I could just figure why the fuck punkbuster keeps losing key packets in CoD2MP...)
Artillery. Its what's for dinner.
Tasoth
Sith Devotee

Post by Tasoth »

I heard and am totally geeked. CoD2 with all of the hud accoutrement and crosshairs off reminds me of a little faster and less realistic RO. And this means we might be seeing a PR for CoD4! Or a scifi mod! SCIFI! *drools*
I've committed the greatest sin, worse than anything done here today. I sold half my soul to the devil. -Ivan Isaac, the Half Souled Knight

Mecha Maniac
CaptHawkeye
Sith Devotee

Post by CaptHawkeye »

weemadando wrote:Well, the key thing is that no.3 wasn't made by Infinity Ward (IIRC) and was thus, total rubbish.
Was I the only one who liked 3 a hell of a lot more than 2? I've never really enjoyed CoD's singleplayer since 1. (2 didn't excite me much, 3 was lame.) I find myself more often than not attracted to the multiplayer in the games. My favorite of which was CoD United Offensive. It seems kind of clear that CoD3's MP was designed to cater to people who enjoyed United Offensive. (Although the connection bugs and errors were really, really, fucking stupid. God forbid devs should release working games anymore. Especially for consoles.)

Hopefully this will concentrate on a little more accuracy. Anyone else remember how the Panzer 2 was able to kick the asses of Crusader tanks in the game? Nice to know they did their homework. :roll:
Best care anywhere.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Finally got to see the (365MB, thanks Bigpond) trailer.

- Blackhawk flying next to a tanker in a storm;
- some guy onboard;
- Russian soldiers descending from an Mi-8M by rope;
- US soldier in camoflage with an M4 SOPMOD signalling, creeping, etc;
- US soldiers with M4 and shotgun breaching in night vision mode;
- unidentified soldiers with MP5SDs on the tanker;
- Blackhawk swarm;
- Iraqi? police/ military approaching a car;
- Iraqi? insurgent in balaclava hitting someone in the face with his AK (seems to be sitting in the car)
- unknown special forces aboard an airliner (M4s etc);
- unknown soldiers (Russian? seems to be wearing a Russian army belt) amidst explosions on the outskirts of some village. One soldier is carrying a G36K;
- FLIR camera footage from an unknown airbore source;
- ambsh on an Iraqi/Syrian? street;
- Russian? soldier (again, Russian army belt) shooting an unidentified man at close range with what appears to be either a Beretta (if they're lazy) or a PYa (if they're smart). Has an AKM slung on his back;
- US troops fighting in Iraqi/Syrian etc? street. Burning T-72M;
- pair of MiG-29s overfly a village. US soldiers moving below (Syria?)
- insurgent picks himself up from the floor;
- unknown troops running at night in a forest;
- missile silo hatch opening;
- german shepherds attacking the camera;
- descent from a Blackhawk;
- insurgent with an RPG-7 runs out to take a shot;
- some guy hands a Desert Eagle to some other guy (Villain Alert!);
- Abrams runs over a car;
- US soldier is shot;
- back to some guy handing over Desert Eagle to some other guy (this appears repeatedly);
- unidentified soldier with pistol firing at target while lying on his back (Russian?);
- US soldier in street, two MiG-29s flying overhead;
- two oldiers in nightvision in a building getting fired on by unknown assailant, both appear to have RPG-7s slung. May be Russians with new-issue helmets, but probably not;
- US soldiers running and gunning;
- Iraqi/Syrian/dunno insurgent with AKM/GP-25 is shot;
- US soldier running with Abrams behind him;
- Super Cobra crashing behind US soldier;
- BMP-2 on some sort of army base (presumably in Russia) explodes. Kub (SA-6) can be seen behind. soldier in background with unknown weapon;
- troops rapelling down from Mi-8Ms in combat zone;
- unknown soldier (equipped well and armed with an AKM) knocks down a US soldier in H2H, nightvision), then shoots him with pistol;
- some US soldier who thinks he's Hard;
- Abrams firing on a building;
- insurgent getting killed;
- Javelin landing on a T-72; and
- wasteland in aftermath of a nuke going off.

Truly incomprehensible trailer.
Last edited by Vympel on 2007-04-30 10:46am, edited 6 times in total.
Rekkon
Padawan Learner

Post by Rekkon »

CaptHawkeye wrote: Hopefully this will concentrate on a little more accuracy. Anyone else remember how the Panzer 2 was able to kick the asses of Crusader tanks in the game? Nice to know they did their homework. :roll:
Pretty sure you were fighting Panzer IIIs in the North Afrika missions.
CaptHawkeye
Sith Devotee

Post by CaptHawkeye »

Rekkon wrote:
CaptHawkeye wrote: Hopefully this will concentrate on a little more accuracy. Anyone else remember how the Panzer 2 was able to kick the asses of Crusader tanks in the game? Nice to know they did their homework. :roll:
Pretty sure you were fighting Panzer IIIs in the North Afrika missions.
Nope. Here is the mission in question. The Crusaders get pretty badly attritioned by the Panzer 2s. Even though the Panzer 2 was a woefully obsolete tank compared to the Crusader. They didn't even portray the Panzer 2's main gun correctly. It's main gun is supposed to be an automatic 20mm. The game model acted like it was a high velocity 75mm.
Best care anywhere.
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

What is that yellow and red flag that shows up occasionally in the trailer?

I thought it was the Chinese flag at first, but then it looked to be the flag of some insurgent group in the latter shots.
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
Rekkon
Padawan Learner

Post by Rekkon »

CaptHawkeye wrote:Nope. Here is the mission in question. The Crusaders get pretty badly attritioned by the Panzer 2s. Even though the Panzer 2 was a woefully obsolete tank compared to the Crusader. They didn't even portray the Panzer 2's main gun correctly. It's main gun is supposed to be an automatic 20mm. The game model acted like it was a high velocity 75mm.
Hmmm, my mistake then. I know the mission and the tanks, but for some reason my brain was saying Panzer III. That is pretty bad of them. Lazy developers. I assume they only wanted to bother modeling one low end German tank, but there is no reason it should not have been the Panzer III.