Should I try out Star Trek Online?

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Zwinmar
Jedi Master

Re: Should I try out Star Trek Online?

Post by Zwinmar »

Bleh, not a fan of ground combat, as soon as my shield actually drops I drop.

Anyways, any of you have a good build for a vulcan 23c. Science captain in the APU? Hate reddit.
MrDakka
Padawan Learner

Post by MrDakka »

If you haven't already and can afford it, buy a ship upgrade token so you get a beefier hull, shields and an extra console slot. If you're going with a pure budget beam boat build, here's some free decent gear:

-Sphere of Influence mission for Ancient Obelisk Warp Core and Ancient Omnidirectional Antiproton beam array
-Blood of the Ancients mission from the Iconian War arc for Antiproton Beam Array Mk XII
-Skirmish mission for the Subspace Field Modulator for damage resistance/defense boost
-Dust to Dust mission for Kobali deflector, impulse engines and shields
-Butterfly mission for Krenim Temporal Manipulation set (tetryon based stuff, but the console is good, even without the set)
-Midnight mission for Sol Defense deflector, impulse engines and shields
-Practically every mission in the Future Proof Arc

I'll try and post screen shots of my setup, BOFF and DOFF seating later on.
Needs moar dakka
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

I really wish they would give you a free ship at level 60. I understand not giving a freebie at 50, but come on. Only 4 increments where you can get ships (10, 20, 30, 40)?

Granted there's the Admiral system, but I don't know how the hell it works, so I don't fuck around with it.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
MrDakka
Padawan Learner

Post by MrDakka »

The admiralty system is a great way to get more specialization xp for specialization points plus it gives dil, ec, and other stuff. Each ship you own has an associated admiralty card, which you can use to complete various tasks for the various factions. Its like the doff assignments but for your ships
Needs moar dakka
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Meh. It's just really annoying/infuriating that they'll have pay-to-win ships in the store, but you can make it all the way up to... what is the max now? 70? and you've still got your level 40 ship. Admittedly you can get XI-XII grade weapons and such on it, but nonetheless.

And for some reason my 23rd C. toon is very low on EC. Maybe it's just because she hasn't been around very long (couple weeks? three weeks?) but she's all the way up to 41 now and she's only got a few thousand EC. I'm not even buying stuff on the exchange, either, and I'd cheerfully do so. Which reminds me, how do you transfer EC between characters again? Was it based on playing the dilithium market or something? Cause I've got a lot of Dil to throw around on my Delta and 23rd...
MrDakka
Padawan Learner

Post by MrDakka »

Zwinmar wrote:Anyways, any of you have a good build for a vulcan 23c. Science captain in the APU? Hate reddit.
Even if you hate reddit, they still have some good advice: https://www.reddit.com/r/stobuilds/comm ... _thoughts/

As promised here's my setup: http://imgur.com/a/u0BMG

I didn't put up my skill layout since I'm going to respec it soon and its dependent on your playstyle. As for the active space DOFFs, I have 3 rare (blue) damage control engineers since this is a drake build and 2 very rare (purple) conn officers for tac team cooldown

As for traits, feel free to load up on whatever you want although I would take a look at this https://www.reddit.com/r/stobuilds/comm ... er_tables/

The space reputation traits I recommend are active hull hardening, auxiliary power configuration offense/defense, precision, advanced targeting systems, and the new cooldown one from the temporal rep
Needs moar dakka
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

MrDakka wrote:The admiralty system is a great way to get more specialization xp for specialization points plus it gives dil, ec, and other stuff. Each ship you own has an associated admiralty card, which you can use to complete various tasks for the various factions. Its like the doff assignments but for your ships
Yeah. The admiralty system is like duty officer tasks, but generally give more rewards but you cannot do as many tasks per day since a. you are limited to 8 tasks at a time and b) your ships need maintenance after they complete.

The rewards however are great. Klingon tasks tend to give more dilithium and EC, while Federation tasks seem to give more specialization experience.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Elheru Aran wrote:Meh. It's just really annoying/infuriating that they'll have pay-to-win ships in the store, but you can make it all the way up to... what is the max now? 70? and you've still got your level 40 ship. Admittedly you can get XI-XII grade weapons and such on it, but nonetheless.

And for some reason my 23rd C. toon is very low on EC. Maybe it's just because she hasn't been around very long (couple weeks? three weeks?) but she's all the way up to 41 now and she's only got a few thousand EC. I'm not even buying stuff on the exchange, either, and I'd cheerfully do so. Which reminds me, how do you transfer EC between characters again? Was it based on playing the dilithium market or something? Cause I've got a lot of Dil to throw around on my Delta and 23rd...
The max is 60. And they do give away free T6 ships, at least 3 per year. You just have to spend 14 days doing the Summer, Winter and/or Anniversary events and their daily task to get them.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Elheru Aran wrote:Meh. It's just really annoying/infuriating that they'll have pay-to-win ships in the store, but you can make it all the way up to... what is the max now? 70? and you've still got your level 40 ship. Admittedly you can get XI-XII grade weapons and such on it, but nonetheless.

are you not picking the reward for leveling up or just using EC for random things as my 23c captain isn't much higher level then yours (if at all) and I'm having issue of having to use EC soon or I'll hit the f2p cap and loose the extra (I got about 3 mil EC atm).

oh another thing about the free T6 ships if you've unlocked them on one of your characters you get them for free for the rest.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

Aaaah. Temporal cold war time manipulation, er I mean server lag. Its giving the Na'khul and Romulans an advantage over my toon. Seriously, Sheldon Cooper was almost soloing a whole bunch of romulans (since the other players attacked in the opposite direction) using a combination of tactics and tanking with the bonuses from the temporal operative skills and commando to allow me to recharge my big arcwave blast. Down to 2 romulans and for 2 seconds nothing happens when I keep on pressing blast or heal and it allowed the Rommies to kill me. Seriously, I have used this trick to out tank the Na'khul before and it would have worked here too. Perfect solo attempt at kicking ass failed. On another note, I now have enough temporal marks to buy what I think I might want.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

I've not had any major lag based issues yet, one DC but that's about it, with the Na'kuhl remember to kill the disruptions ASAP, otherwise they spend ages totally immune to damage, but if you get rid of disruptions the N'kuhl are actually quite weak.
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Lord Revan wrote:

are you not picking the reward for leveling up or just using EC for random things as my 23c captain isn't much higher level then yours (if at all) and I'm having issue of having to use EC soon or I'll hit the f2p cap and loose the extra (I got about 3 mil EC atm).

oh another thing about the free T6 ships if you've unlocked them on one of your characters you get them for free for the rest.
I do pick up the rewards. I don't know why I'm not getting much EC. It's a bloody PITA.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Elheru Aran wrote:
Lord Revan wrote:

I do pick up the rewards. I don't know why I'm not getting much EC. It's a bloody PITA.
That's odd you should get 500k per each finished storyline. that's why I'm swimming in EC atm.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

That might be it. I haven't even finished the Klingon War arc and already I'm up to 40.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Elheru Aran wrote:That might be it. I haven't even finished the Klingon War arc and already I'm up to 40.
that could explain it then.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Lord Revan wrote:
Elheru Aran wrote:That might be it. I haven't even finished the Klingon War arc and already I'm up to 40.
Yeah, talk about leveling up too fast. I mean, I'm not going to object, but it looks like they mashed a few different arcs together... which means that it takes longer to get through the one arc at the start.

Poking around STO's wiki, it looks like you cannot upgrade the free lvl-40 ship to T5U. You can only get T5U or T6 ships by going fleet or buying them. Am I wrong?
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Elheru Aran wrote:
Lord Revan wrote:
Yeah, talk about leveling up too fast. I mean, I'm not going to object, but it looks like they mashed a few different arcs together... which means that it takes longer to get through the one arc at the start.

Poking around STO's wiki, it looks like you cannot upgrade the free lvl-40 ship to T5U. You can only get T5U or T6 ships by going fleet or buying them. Am I wrong?
not really event T5 ships can be upgraded as well but those aren't avaible anymore (unless you unlocked them during the event), that seems my 23c sci officer might have to end using the kremin flying dildo until I get something better.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Elheru Aran wrote:Poking around STO's wiki, it looks like you cannot upgrade the free lvl-40 ship to T5U. You can only get T5U or T6 ships by going fleet or buying them. Am I wrong?
Again, if you do the Summer, Winter or Anniversary events you'll get a free T6. Every once in awhile Cryptic have been known to give out T5 C-store ships (that can be upgraded) during a giveaway, but I wouldn't bank on that.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Well I just finished the Klingon War arc... and no 500K EC. Revan, are you sure you aren't using a paid account or something that gets benefits like that?
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Ghetto Edit: Yep, while I managed to make a bunch of EC off recycling some low-level goodies out of my inventory, I'm still only at ~36K EC.

Crazed... well yeah, however that's not really an option if you don't have the time to play the yearly events. Days when I get to sit down and actually crank a few levels out aren't happening very often. The problem is that I feel that ships are a major part of the Trek experience, and it makes sense to get more powerful ships as you level up... so of course they cut it off two-thirds of the way through the levels.

What would make more sense to me is if they allowed you to pick whatever T6 ship in your faction (barring high level pay-ships, perhaps, let's not be silly) you wanted during the annual events, thus giving people more incentive to play the annual events in order to grab ships rather than special craft you can only get from that event.

Frankly I'm borderline right now on just saying 'screw it' and paying for Zen to grab an Excelsior, as I haven't been part of a fleet in quite some time now and I'm not sure how else I'll get one...
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

mr friendly guy wrote:
MrDakka wrote:The admiralty system is a great way to get more specialization xp for specialization points plus it gives dil, ec, and other stuff. Each ship you own has an associated admiralty card, which you can use to complete various tasks for the various factions. Its like the doff assignments but for your ships
Yeah. The admiralty system is like duty officer tasks, but generally give more rewards but you cannot do as many tasks per day since a. you are limited to 8 tasks at a time and b) your ships need maintenance after they complete.

The rewards however are great. Klingon tasks tend to give more dilithium and EC, while Federation tasks seem to give more specialization experience.
And the Romulan tasks give out universal equipment upgrade tokens at L10 that don't have an associated dil cost when used on gear. The only downside to those is that they bind to character- but I'd saved up quite a few in preparation for the upgrade event just gone so I managed to boost a lot of my gear. The Fed system gives spec points, while the KDF one gives something like 30K dil each time you complete the 10th "gold" assignment.

Interestingly, T5 event ships previously unlocked that you can pick up for new toons upgrade for free. Also, when one toon uses an upgrade token for a T5 ship, all others get the upgrade for that particular ship for free. T5-U ships are very much last year though- fleet ship modules are much more in demand now.
Frankly I'm borderline right now on just saying 'screw it' and paying for Zen to grab an Excelsior, as I haven't been part of a fleet in quite some time now and I'm not sure how else I'll get one...
If you really want the Excelsior, this is the one to get :mrgreen:

I just got my Temporal toon to L43, somehow I got through the Nimbus arc (again) with my sanity intact- though it did enable me to fly a Galaxy for the first time so it's not all bad. The tricky part is to grab the temporal probes when they show in the objectives so you don't have to repeat the mission to get them later (since they enable you to claim 25 marks of your choice for each one).
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

My Jupiter class carrier is quite effective. The funny thing is that since she's a cruiser, I sometimes just turn off impulse and shoot around me whenever I do patrol missions, red alerts, or the daily beat up the Breen missions.

What I'm really trying to do now is have as many omnidirectional beam arrays on my ship as possible. A pure omnidirectional beam boat with fighters would be wonderful.
MrDakka
Padawan Learner

Post by MrDakka »

FaxModem1 wrote:What I'm really trying to do now is have as many omnidirectional beam arrays on my ship as possible. A pure omnidirectional beam boat with fighters would be wonderful.
Sadly, you can only equip up to 3 omnidirectional beam arrays: Kinetic cutting beam, crafted omnibeam array of your favorite flavor, and a mission reward omnibeam
Elheru Aran wrote:Ghetto Edit: Yep, while I managed to make a bunch of EC off recycling some low-level goodies out of my inventory, I'm still only at ~36K EC.
The Tour The Galaxy daily mission gives 25,000 EC for each system visited. You can make ~1,000,000 EC everyday just by completing the Alpha Quadrant section alone. This is probably the easiest way to make EC. And don't forget to equip the ancient obelisk warp core for the slipstream cooldown reduction.
Needs moar dakka
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

RogueIce wrote: Again, if you do the Summer, Winter or Anniversary events you'll get a free T6. Every once in awhile Cryptic have been known to give out T5 C-store ships (that can be upgraded) during a giveaway, but I wouldn't bank on that.
That would be how I got my Excelsior.

Still my go to ship, since I don't play STO enough to justify forking over the money for the T6 Excelsior.
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

MrDakka wrote:
FaxModem1 wrote:What I'm really trying to do now is have as many omnidirectional beam arrays on my ship as possible. A pure omnidirectional beam boat with fighters would be wonderful.
Sadly, you can only equip up to 3 omnidirectional beam arrays: Kinetic cutting beam, crafted omnibeam array of your favorite flavor, and a mission reward omnibeam
Indeed- you'd be better off going for a turret loadout if all-round coverage is what you're after.