World of Tanks Mark 2

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Re: World of Tanks Mark 2

Post by Vanas »

Just having a crappy day in tanks. Then I deploy the Crusader and, suddenly, everything becomes better. I don't know what it is about that tank, but I love driving it.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

Victory!
Battle: Himmelsdorf Saturday, February 02, 2013 1:43:49 PM
Vehicle: M6
Experience received: 1,080
Credits received: 22,847

A T29 and I more or less single-handedly destroyed the remainder of their team. Think I'll post the replay too:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pwqe26ack2rdp ... .wotreplay
Agent Sorchus
Jedi Master

Post by Agent Sorchus »

Victory!
Battle: Fjords Saturday, February 02, 2013 2:01:03 PM
Vehicle: S-51
Experience received: 720
Credits received: 18,643
Battle Achievements: Bombardier

Boo Yeah. Tried to make it three kills with one shell, but the ISU just barely survived.
the engines cannae take any more cap'n
warp 9 to shroomland ~Dalton
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

Victory!
Battle: Mountain Pass Saturday, February 02, 2013 5:02:15 PM
Experience received: 1,369
Credits received: 33,095
Battle Achievements: Top Gun

A T-150 and I had great teamwork and just blew right past their forces in the river and went straight towards their base. I killed the last two tanks on their team to net me a top gun.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

So like our matches last night? :P
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

Eh, not as good as those. But still rather fun. The teamwork was kind of accidental really, we just both charged at the same time as our team stayed on the hill.
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

Victory!
Battle: Prokhorovka Saturday, February 02, 2013 8:03:42 PM
Vehicle: T32
Experience received: 954
Credits received: 24,199
Battle Achievements: Mastery Badge: "2nd Class"

Killed an IS-6, T26E4, and an E-75. Also spotted for most of the team. 1.6k damage done, 1.3k damage from spotting.

Victory!
Battle: El Halluf Saturday, February 02, 2013 8:40:26 PM
Experience received: 1,059
Credits received: 28,435
Battle Achievements: Steel Wall

Not too bad for stock, not too bad at all. Killed a Lowe and FCM 50 t. 2.5k damage done, damaged 4 and killed 2.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Defeat
Battle: Karelia Saturday, February 02, 2013 8:28:02 PM
Vehicle: T-150
Experience received: 203
Credits received: 18,286

This takes the cake, as far as stupid teams go. We're on an ecounter map, and they are all camping hill. Me and the others who moved start calling them on that. And all we get is being called an idiot, and me specifically being called out for 'actually playing the objective which only stupid people do!!'. I mean, really? I've seen people camp the spawn before. But never have I had idiots actually saying 'nah nah, its not fun to play the objective so I'm going to camp here and you all are nOObs for attacking!!!'.

Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Ghetto EDIT: It was assault not encounter...
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

Victory!
Battle: Karelia Saturday, February 02, 2013 11:38:24 PM
Experience received: 852
Credits received: 21,640
Battle Achievements: Brothers in Arms

Skywalker and I got top of the team. Very good match.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Draw
Battle: Mountain Pass Saturday, February 02, 2013 10:52:07 PM
Experience received: 262
Credits received: 16,714
Battle Achievements: Reaper

First time I've gotten that medal.
xt828
Padawan Learner

Post by xt828 »

The SU-5 and KV-2 are both good for Reaper, in my experience.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Victory!
Battle: Cliff 03 February 2013 10:36:47
Vehicle: M3 Lee
Experience received: 1,842 (x2 for the first victory each day)
Credits received: 17,482
Battle Achievements: Pascucci's Medal, Top Gun

I had The Fear going into this tank because everyone said it was rubbish. But it actually rules all the fools, why are people so afraid of it?

I think the perception of the Lee comes from people thinking about tanks in terms of stats, rather than strategic and tactical features. For the Lee, the principal strategic feature isn't anything statistical, it's the shape of the tank. The shape of the Lee means that you need to think about the map in terms of where you can find a piece of cover that is a: tall enough to hide the top turret, and b: lets you poke the right hand side of the tank out. Once you do that, you know where you should go at the start of a map (that one above was easy, the valley of death on Cliff has plenty of cover both ends for Lee peeking where you can take advantage of reasonable accuracy, high rate of fire, good aim time, and great penetration).

This is the same for all tanks, really. The hard and soft stats of a tank don't mean anything on their own, and you should really think about strategic features (Things that dictate where you can go on a map and fight effectively) and tactical features (how to approach a specific fight once you have engaged an enemy).
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

Oh god, Matchmaker just went insane.

My team:
4 Tier 10 Tanks
1 Tier 9
3 Tier 8
1 Tier 7
3 Arties (7, 7, and 6)
2 scouts (5,5, and 6)

vs...

5 Tier 10 tanks
4 Tier 8 tanks
5 Arties (7,7,7,7,6)
1 tier 8 scout (AMX13-90)

---

What the hell. Why is the matchmaker giving more arty to the side that also has superior tanks. Is an ELC AMX and Chafee really going to make up for 2 additional arties, and an additional Tier 10? Or an IS fighting E100s?
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

Well, I finally cracked and started playing World of Battleships. My god, it's glorious. Vastly slow, insanely huge, massing more than most continents and capable of drawing more fire than Sir David Extremely-Flammable debating atheism with the Pope while on top of a hill during a thunderstorm, wearing copper impreganted clothing in the middle of a gun show in Nevada, it's magnificent.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

Defeat
Battle: Erlenberg Sunday, February 03, 2013 9:10:06 AM
Experience received: 513
Credits received: 25,239
Battle Achievements: Master Gunner

Top of my team, but we lost because of a thing common in defense maps. When the side I was helping defend killed the lone M103 going up that passage, they kept going towards the other team's spawn. I instead went straight through the middle and helped take out the enemies going up the base's side of the river. Then I went after their snipers on the ridge. Sadly my team mates in the south were still quite stupid, and even though once the snipers were taken care of they had a clear run to go defend the base, they sort of started spreading out and doing nothing while slowly inching north. I managed to make it back in range of the base to shoot one of the capturers, but it soon entered cover and the two actually at the base were too cowardly to try and reduce it themselves, or at least delay, before it was the 90th point on the base. Meanwhile I was busy killing a tiger that was preventing me from reaching the base.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Imperial528 wrote: Top of my team, but we lost because of a thing common in defense maps.
You mean you haven't turned off Assault?

Assault is a completely broken gamemode. The maps are hugely imbalanced, mostly in the favour of the defenders, with 65/35 being a common win rate split.

I mean the maps aren't all enormously balanced as is, with Fjords and Serene Coast being worst offenders (and Serene produces about five times as many draws as any other map), but Assualt compounds the problem in all sorts of ridiculous ways. Even the worst balanced maps for standard and encounter are better than the most balanced Assault map.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Okay, what am I doing wrong to get only capture the flag maps? I've never seen an option to change what game modes the random battle button picks, but I know there are more than just "let's go cap each other's base" mode. I guess I've been too busy grinding away to really think about looking at other game modes or joining a clan etc.

Incidentally, did anyone start an SDN clan?
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

At times I actually enjoy an assault map, so no, I haven't turned it off.

I don't think there are any plans to start an SDN clan. In any case I think the tag is already taken by some one-man clan.
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

In terms of gameplay, all 3 game modes have the base flags. Normal battle's the standard CTF mode, Encounter has one flag in the middle and assault has one that a single team has to defend. It's also horrible.

If you're on the US servers, there's an SDN chat channel rather than a clan.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Admiral Valdemar wrote:Okay, what am I doing wrong to get only capture the flag maps? I've never seen an option to change what game modes the random battle button picks, but I know there are more than just "let's go cap each other's base" mode. I guess I've been too busy grinding away to really think about looking at other game modes or joining a clan etc.

Incidentally, did anyone start an SDN clan?
There are three game modes. Standard Battle (two bases), Encounter (one neutral base) and Assault (one base held by one team, other team to capture it).

You will start seeing Encounter battles when you have researched at least one tier 4 vehicle, and Assault when you have researched at least one tier 6. Assault is broken and horrible. The least unbalanced assault maps are about as unbalanced as the most unbalanced standard or encounter ones.

Personally I've turned both Encounter and Assault off. Encounter leads to too many base floods, even though it's as reasonably balanced as Standard.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

http://worldoftanks.com/news/1997-heavy ... tion-week/

Man, if I had just waited I could have gotten the KV-3 for half-price. Oh well, at least the 60% credit increase should help. More money is always good after all :P
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Ghetto EDIT:

Victory!
Battle: Siegfried Line Sunday, February 03, 2013 1:45:06 PM
Experience received: 802
Credits received: 44,012
Battle Achievements: Steel Wall, Sniper, Spartan

First good battle I've had all day. I got the Spartan because the T-150 I was fighting managed to track me at JUST the right angle where all his (and the stock 3601 with him) shells were bouncing.
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

Man, sometimes...
Had a defensive position in a town with my IS-3 when an idiot team mate in a Tiger shots me twice in the side and I died. Once can be an accident, but not twice. Furious, I reported him as team killer and wrote in English what an asshole he was and that others should report him as team killer... No reply! Asked <asshole in Tiger> why he did it. No reply... Hm... Then I wrote "<asshole in Tiger>=Kurwa!" (About the only polish word I know, meaning something quite bad.) Oh man! LOTS of replies in polish (I guess), from lots of people, including asshole in Tiger. Didn't understand shit, but hope my view became clear.

I bet you guys on the american server don't have those language problems. On the European server, you newer know what language your team mates know and how many different nationalities they are, but I suspect a lot are Poles... I think I'm gonna learn a few polish words of profanity. "Dupek"?
Where am I at in the post apocalypse draft? When do I start getting picks? Because I want this guy. This guy right here. I will regret not being able to claim the quote, "The first I noticed while burning weed, so I burned it, aiming at its head first. It wriggled for about 10 seconds. Too long... I then fetched an old machete [+LITERALLY ANYTHING]"
- Raw Shark on my slug hunting
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Yeah, who knew it would be so important to be able to rage effectively in seven different languages.