Achtung Panzer Operation Star

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

CaptHawkeye
Sith Devotee

Re: Achtung Panzer Operation Star

Post by CaptHawkeye »

They used to publish through Paradox but I heard that didn't work out. So now they go through a somewhat obscure but functional enough DD service.

http://www.gamersgate.com/

And here is a forum post someone made outlining how to patch the game without its broken updater.

http://www.gamersgate.com/gametutor?issue=240050
Best care anywhere.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Holy shit that's a lot of work. I'll put the game on my list :)
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
CaptHawkeye
Sith Devotee

Post by CaptHawkeye »

Yeah the creators are 100% crazy Ukrainian Garage Developers. Talented but according to forumites somewhat reclusive.

They used to distribute through Paradox but that relationship went sour because Paradox asked a lot of money and barely advertised for them. Champions in indie developers I guess.
Best care anywhere.
KhorneFlakes
Padawan Learner

Post by KhorneFlakes »

I'd like to say thank you for starting this, CaptHawkeye. Because this looks really interesting, and I think I might go take a look at this game sometime.

I mean seriously, I think the genre has a lot of potential, but for so long it's just been generic "lol our guns can't shoot past 5 feet" "you must micromanage each dude to the point of possible sexual frustration". It actually makes me feel kind of sad because I love stuff like "command an army" but the games have almost always just been crap. Also, Stark summarized most of the problems the genre has pretty well.
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

CaptHawkeye wrote:Genre didn't feature enough one man superheroes gunning down brown people. Pretty much.

Funny enough on a lot of forums i've lurked ex-military guys have really praised this game. Shit, their criticisms about it tend to be about the UI being unintuitive. When that's what real military guys are saying about *this* game, what does that imply about the whole fucking genre?
Don't RTS that actually featured hero units get amazingly boring? Warcraft III was probably the last major game that was competitive that way.... Lord of the Rings was........... yearrghh.
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
CaptHawkeye
Sith Devotee

Post by CaptHawkeye »

Hero units usually end up being colossally overpowered and very boring to use because they defeat the purpose of controlling vast armies. Who cares about

If developers wanted to feature "hero" units properly, they could realistically depict them as propaganda tools. "Spawn Vassily Zaitsev this map and get him 2 kills so the Russian press can report he wiped out a Regiment and local troop morale will improve!"
Best care anywhere.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Games with hero units are fun ALL THE TIME. They're just not milhard wankfest harpoon missile simulators. Indeed, at a high level 'heroes' would be the core of the staff management game no RTS ever has because they're all hidebound crap.