Witcher 2

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Karza
Jedi Knight

Re: Witcher 2

Post by Karza »

Zixinus wrote:The greatest head-scratcher are the mutagens though. There are very few skills that you can apply them to and most of them are rather weak, even the greater ones. What's more puzzling is that you don't find these in boss battles or are simply hard-acquired but are just random monster-drop items that you can barely use.
Yeah, this baffled me as well, especially since once you've picked a mutagen for one slot, that's it, you can't change it later. So during the game you're going to be able to utilize what, 5-10 mutagens tops? Yet these things are common as dirt. Also, the greater versions are available as random drops right in the first chapter, meaning there won't ever be any reason to use the lesser ones at all. Amazing, really.
Zixinus wrote:The most useful skills are in the swordsman tree, some of which are stuff that should have been with you from the start (even if a bit nerfed for balance). Riposte isn't all that cracked up to be though, due to how blocking rapidly drains vigor.
In my opinion, there are only four things you really need. Improved Quen, extra vigor points, Whirl and Footwork. The first two are in the first levels of the magic tree, Footwork is a starting swordsmanship talent and Whirl isn't that far into swordsmanship either. Once you have those, you're pretty much invincible, and can take whatever talent gets your fancy. I agree most utility seems to be in the swordsmanship tree though.
"Death before dishonour" they say, but how much dishonour are we talking about exactly? I mean, I can handle a lot. I could fellate a smurf if the alternative was death.
- Dylan Moran
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Thanas wrote:And that one is even in the prologue. Even more, it makes no sense why a married, legitimate princess that has the backing of a powerful husband would have less chances of becoming the heiress to the throne than an illegitimate child whose parentage is much more in question.
Actually it does: you forgot that her Highness was a striga.

That can sort of throw a monkey wrench in her claim to any throne. The fact that she had to be de-cursed TWICE can easily become worrying.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Zixinus wrote:
Thanas wrote:And that one is even in the prologue. Even more, it makes no sense why a married, legitimate princess that has the backing of a powerful husband would have less chances of becoming the heiress to the throne than an illegitimate child whose parentage is much more in question.
Actually it does: you forgot that her Highness was a striga.
This is the freaking Emperor of Niilfgard. You were saying?
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Except his curse isn't relapsing ; He got rid of it once (well, Geralt helped that happen) and he's gonna stay OK. Plus, he didn't turn into a violent murderos psychopath, just an ugly human-porcupine hybrid but retained full control of his mental faculties.

The princess is apparently in constant danger of becoming a flesh-eating monster. That's a real turn-off.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

PeZook wrote:The princess is apparently in constant danger of becoming a flesh-eating monster. That's a real turn-off.
Tymeria had put way more dangerous/weird people on the throne. Heck, Foltest himself is a prime example of being a real turn-off. My point is that a magical curse in no way seems to impact the legitimacy of a claim. Curses are a way of life in that world.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Thanas wrote: Tymeria had put way more dangerous/weird people on the throne. Heck, Foltest himself is a prime example of being a real turn-off. My point is that a magical curse in no way seems to impact the legitimacy of a claim. Curses are a way of life in that world.
Way of life? Not really. They're kinda sorta common, but very few people actually understand how they work: most people (including important officials like Velerad) were convinced the princess turned into a striga because she was a daughter resulting from the king's incestous relationship. Even the king himself wasn't sure.

With that, it's really understandable why peope would be...slightly concerned about the perspective of the new queen giving birth to little man eating monstrosities. And also about their mother suddenly becoming one and eating her husband, half the court and terrorizing the capital city for years like she used to do. Especially since an expert (Geralt) didn't manage to quite remove the curse completely...

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

^True, but I see no reason why that should delegitimize her completely and rule out a succession. After all, the same thing happened before once already and she was not delegitimzed back then....
------------
------------
My LPs
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Thanas wrote:^True, but I see no reason why that should delegitimize her completely and rule out a succession. After all, the same thing happened before once already and she was not delegitimzed back then....
I don't know the actual situation in the game, so I can't comment if it feels reasonable. I agree it shouldn't rule out succession, just make it difficult and a costly political battle.

As for her curse, I think it was more a case of "Well, she's healed and okay...oh shit she's not! What guarantees it won't happen again?!".

If she was a striga once and was all cleaned up, people could plausibly think she'd be okay ; But since it happened again, then I can understand the concern :)

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

The thing is though, that according to TW1 it was widely known that she already had to wear a special medaillon to remain normal. So if that did not delegitimize her already....
------------
------------
My LPs
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Thanas wrote:The thing is though, that according to TW1 it was widely known that she already had to wear a special medaillon to remain normal. So if that did not delegitimize her already....
Well, people do get complacent. There are guys who build houses on the floodplains and then only buy insurance when a flood destroys them, after all :D

Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

This is the freaking Emperor of Niilfgard. You were saying?
... SPOILERS! :(

Oh, wait, that was the TV show.

Still, I recall that he worn a funny-shaped helmet to hide his identity.
My point is that a magical curse in no way seems to impact the legitimacy of a claim. Curses are a way of life in that world.
I think that would be arguable. For one thing, as far as I played the game, I have heard of no other king or emperor that was cursed (openly).
Henselt downright said (while I accidentally explored his dialogue options on the matter) that he will not acknowledge a Queen that has a curse that turns her into a man-eating monster.

Curses may be one thing (Henselt himself), but curses resulting in transformation into man-eating beasts are a different cattle of fish. Especially when it does not seem to be easily removed.
^True, but I see no reason why that should delegitimize her completely and rule out a succession. After all, the same thing happened before once already and she was not delegitimzed back then....
That's because her father was alive. He is not now.

I recall that claims to the throne were not simple in medieval life, it's politics often involving not only legitimacy but who had a superior force behind him: even if our laws don't match, I don't see how that would be different. For all we know, she has no legal problems getting the throne, but plenty of political ones if she attempted to get it (or she has/will).
In one of the DLCs for the first game, we had another cursed princess/heiress (the curse of the black sun) where it was outright stated that the king refuses to have a cursed heiress.
The thing is though, that according to TW1 it was widely known that she already had to wear a special medaillon to remain normal. So if that did not delegitimize her already....
Actually, no, it was not. Unless I missed that part, the bits about the medallion and whatnot were kept secret, hence her negative reaction when Geralt asked about it in the first game.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

PeZook wrote:
Thanas wrote:^True, but I see no reason why that should delegitimize her completely and rule out a succession. After all, the same thing happened before once already and she was not delegitimzed back then....
I don't know the actual situation in the game, so I can't comment if it feels reasonable. I agree it shouldn't rule out succession, just make it difficult and a costly political battle.

As for her curse, I think it was more a case of "Well, she's healed and okay...oh shit she's not! What guarantees it won't happen again?!".

If she was a striga once and was all cleaned up, people could plausibly think she'd be okay ; But since it happened again, then I can understand the concern :)
Foltest strikes me as a King who would write up and tear up laws if it so see fits for him. But that it is from the game. It's a pity he got killed .... really...
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Zixinus wrote:Actually, no, it was not. Unless I missed that part, the bits about the medallion and whatnot were kept secret, hence her negative reaction when Geralt asked about it in the first game.
That reaction was more of a "why does the knave bring up something unpleasant" on the part of DeWitt. And DeWitt knew, as did the rest of the court, really.
------------
------------
My LPs
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote: Foltest strikes me as a King who would write up and tear up laws if it so see fits for him. But that it is from the game. It's a pity he got killed .... really...
The only reason why the Temerian capital had to be moved to a new location was that Foltest forbid anybody from killing his daughter the first time she was, umm, indisposed.

So she got free reign in the old town while people went into the old royal palace from time to time in an attempt to break the curse and, of course, were eaten.

So yeah, Foltest was pretty, erm, authoritarian at times :D
Thanas wrote: That reaction was more of a "why does the knave bring up something unpleasant" on the part of DeWitt. And DeWitt knew, as did the rest of the court, really.
That struck me as such as well ; I mean, if it was supposed to be a secret, nobody would be surprised at Geralt knowing since it was him who instructed she wear the medallion in the first place.

Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Just heard that the importing process was somehow bugged. Its being fixed in the 1.2 patch, so I guess there'll be more plot changes.

Still playing Witcher EE myself (Chapter 3).
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Vympel wrote:Just heard that the importing process was somehow bugged. Its being fixed in the 1.2 patch, so I guess there'll be more plot changes.

Still playing Witcher EE myself (Chapter 3).
Hopefully. Do you have any link to the patch announcement? I'd like to read it myself.....
------------
------------
My LPs
Zac Naloen
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zac Naloen »

I just got done playing the game through a second time (taking Iorveths path after choosing Roche the first time)

The way this story line has been constructed is nigh on genius.

If there are more possibly bugged changes because of my previous choices that I didn't get to see I can't help but feel I'm going to have to play it a third time to see it all now.

Not that I will complain about that, I'm having a fantastic time playing the game :lol:
Member of the Unremarkables
Just because you're god, it doesn't mean you can treat people that way : - My girlfriend
Evil Brit Conspiracy - Insignificant guy
Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Post by Chardok »

From Gamesradar

Witcher 2 coming to 360 EOY 2011
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

That's funny, since it runs like ass on PCs with way better hardware than a 360 when set to 'low'. If they have to cut the graphics back to Witcher levels because of their horrible engine, they might as well just release Witcher 1.
RazorOutlaw
Padawan Learner

Post by RazorOutlaw »

I finished the game last week some time and wasn't going to post because I thought I'd be necroing this thread. The rules say a month and it's not quite been a month yet.

So here are some things bothering me: Spoiler
Thanas mentioned that Adda being an heir shouldn't have been a problem, curse or no. I'm not sure if he had finished the game at that point, because as I took Roche's path in Act II and Act III I found out that Adda had been married to King Radovid. Apparently this made her Redanian now and the people wouldn't support her going in Foltest's place. I'm not sure what to drawn upon here because my understanding of monarchies and medieval legal systems is pretty weak. But Radovid seemed pretty interested in taking Termeria "under his wing" so perhaps Adda being considered a Redanian now might not matter if he has a legal way in.

Does the popular perception of Adda as a Redanian solve the problem that Thanas mentioned?

OK, the Wild Hunt business had me confused as hell. In TW1, the Wild Hunt was, if I remember its description correctly, simply a spectral procession who followed a "King of the Wild Hunt" and collected the dead. In the first game, you fought this King of the Wild Hunt, who was really nothing more than a version of the grim reaper, and after you defeated him he was out of the picture (for now). Then TW2 introduces the idea that the Wild Hunt is actually a collection of dimension travelling elves??

This seems completely schizophrenic to me. Am I missing something? This doesn't seem like an interesting twist but a really artificial (maybe forced?) way to tie events from the first game into the second way to make for a bigger, overarching plot.
Sig.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

No, actually, the Wild Hunt has always been like this. They didn't just take the dead, they actually abducted people (on Saovine, people would not leave their homes out of fear of being abducted) for their own ends. It's a major plot point in the books.

RazorOutlaw
Padawan Learner

Post by RazorOutlaw »

Alright, I've never had a chance to read the other books besides "The Last Wish" and "Blood of Elves". The fact that they featured in TW1 was a really interesting thread in the story to me, especially when the King of the Wild Hunt revealed that he'd been following the Witcher all along and making note of destruction he had caused despite the good he was trying to do (or my character did anyway).
Spoiler
Still, I got a fact about them wrong because I didn't double-check on what they did. Mea culpa. But the fact that they're a bunch of elves now is something new?
Sig.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Spoiler
No, they were revealed as elves in the fifth book of the series. They abducted Ciri and wanted to use her to fulfill their doomsday prophecy by impregnating her with their Messiah.

Ciri escaped and disappeared, so that plan didn't work out all that hot. Then Geralt comes back all of a sudden in the first game, despite theoretically being dead. So they start chasing him instead. Too bad he's amnesiac though :D

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

RazorOutlaw wrote:I finished the game last week some time and wasn't going to post because I thought I'd be necroing this thread. The rules say a month and it's not quite been a month yet.

So here are some things bothering me: Spoiler
Thanas mentioned that Adda being an heir shouldn't have been a problem, curse or no. I'm not sure if he had finished the game at that point, because as I took Roche's path in Act II and Act III I found out that Adda had been married to King Radovid. Apparently this made her Redanian now and the people wouldn't support her going in Foltest's place. I'm not sure what to drawn upon here because my understanding of monarchies and medieval legal systems is pretty weak. But Radovid seemed pretty interested in taking Termeria "under his wing" so perhaps Adda being considered a Redanian now might not matter if he has a legal way in.
I did not finish the game back then and actually I have not finished it. Maybe after a year of bugfixing or so.....

That being said, this is nothing new. In medieval times, people who married into monarchies were considered part of the other nation as well. Still, it would not make them lose their claim on the title, because that is a personal claim based on blood, not a claim of a nation. Note that this is why the English kings claimed the French throne.
------------
------------
My LPs