Japan poised to re-open commercial whaling

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Erik von Nein
Jedi Council Member

Japan poised to re-open commercial whaling

Post by Erik von Nein »

Are whales doomed?
This week’s meeting of the International Whaling Commission (IWC) in the Caribbean island nation of St Kitts and Nevis will once again prove to be a bloody battleground between those for and those against whaling. The IWC adopted a global moratorium on commercial whaling that became effective in 1986. With this moratorium being challenged, the time may now be upon us to resuscitate the “Save the Whales” campaigns that proved so successful in the 1980s.

Japan, through its 20-year pro-whaling lobbying strategy, is poised to claim “victory” by gaining the majority of votes needed at the IWC to set in course actions to dismantle the rules that protect whales and prepare the way for the eventual full resumption of commercial whaling.

To achieve a simple majority of the 69 IWC member nations, the Japanese government has been actively, and unabashedly, targeting West African countries and small developing island states in the Caribbean and the Pacific to vote in favour of their pro-whaling agenda.

Even with the current whaling moratorium, Japan has been able to continue hunting whales under an IWC loophole that allows for “scientific whaling” by killing whales to allegedly investigate their biology and migratory pathways. This “scientific whaling” is unregulated, scientifically unwarranted, and flagrantly carried out in protected areas, particularly the Southern Ocean whale sanctuary, which WWF helped to establish. This activity is heavily subsidized by the government of Japan and is nothing more than an excuse to kill whales for Japan’s domestic meat market.

Japan is responsible for the killing of more than 700 whales each year, including endangered humpback and sei whales. The IWC has made moves in recent years to address other conservation threats to the world’s whales. But Japan has announced publicly that if it obtains the simple majority, it will immediately move for the removal of all conservation issues from the IWC’s agenda.

WWF has been focusing on the conservation of cetaceans and other marine mammals for over 40 years and has worked for many years to build the conservation agenda of the IWC and its Scientific Committee, recognizing the serious threat of issues beyond whaling and direct take of whales and dolphins. This includes the catching and drowning each year of thousands of whales and dolphins in fishing gear (bycatch), climate change and ship strikes. Bycatch, a top priority of our work around the world, causes the deaths of at least 300,000 whales, dolphins and porpoises every year — nearly 1,000 each day.

With a pro-whaling majority, WWF is concerned that these threats, all of which have a devastating impact on whale populations, will be dropped from the IWC’s programme of work. A majority pro-whaling bloc could also bring in secret ballots to the IWC for the first time — Japan has asked for this for six years in a row and has been defeated each time. Currently, all votes are open and on public record, something that WWF and conservation-friendly countries in the IWC support in order to ensure transparency and full accountability.

Although the IWC moratorium on commercial whaling is expected to stay in place for now — as it requires a three-quarter majority to be overturned — some predict that if Japan gets a simple majority this year, it will be a just a matter of time before they get the votes to resume full-scale commercial whaling.

In response to a likely shift to the pro-whaling lobby, WWF has been using its global influence to encourage more conservation-minded countries to join the IWC, despite the prohibitively high dues for developing countries to join.

We have also been lobbying developing countries that have voted with Japan in the past to commit to the responsible use of global marine resources and consider the benefits of whales within marine ecosystems, and the economic benefits of whales to coastal communities from activities such as whale-watching. Millions of tourists go whale-watching each year, contributing to tourism revenue that exceeds over US$1 billion.

This will be a decisive meeting of the IWC, one that could decide the fate of the future of whale populations around the world for years to come. If Japan wins the simple majority, perhaps the world will finally wake up. For those countries that have been too apathetic or disinterested in joining the debate, the shock to their citizens may be a decisive factor in bringing them on board. For those countries who are members, the time will soon arrive for their citizens to insist on strong conservation action, not rhetoric.

The sad reality is that it appears no one cares enough while the patient lies dying, yet they’ll all come to the funeral. We hope not to return to wearing funeral garb.

* Dr Susan Lieberman is Director of WWF’s Global Species Programme.
Yes, thank you, Japan. Can't give up a food just because it's endangered now, can we? Nope. Can't break those cultural traditions because then they have nothing left! :roll:
"To make an apple pie from scratch you must first invent the universe."
— Carl Sagan

Erik von Nein
Jedi Council Member

Post by Erik von Nein »

Fuck me, that's not how it was supposed to turn out. Can a friendly, rampant mod fix that for me? Pwease? *puppy dog eyes*

I'll love you forever!
— Carl Sagan

Xess
Jedi Knight

Post by Xess »

God that pisses me off. Fuck Japan and their underhanded bullshit. :evil:
Image[
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

Fuckers! Fuck, fuck, fuckers!

That's it. Much graduation money is headed straight to the WWF.

God, this just kills me like you can't believe. I can't even really talk about how much it upsets me to hear these kinds of tales.
"The rest of the poem plays upon that pun. On the contrary, says Catullus, although my verses are soft (molliculi ac parum pudici in line 8, reversing the play on words), they can arouse even limp old men. Should Furius and Aurelius have any remaining doubts about Catullus' virility, he offers to fuck them anally and orally to prove otherwise." - Catullus 16, Wikipedia
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Fixed- I think, I don't know how you wanted it.

For my part, I don't care how many whales Japan kills and eats, as long as it's sustainable. I eat shitloads of animals, what, I'm just going to balk at eating a whale?

However, I don't trust the fuckers not to go on the verge of wiping out the species like last time, so I hope the ban stays in place.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Erik von Nein
Jedi Council Member

Post by Erik von Nein »

Vympel wrote:Fixed- I think, I don't know how you wanted it.
No, that's pretty much what I wanted. Thanks a lot.
Vympel wrote:For my part, I don't care how many whales Japan kills and eats, as long as it's sustainable. I eat shitloads of animals, what, I'm just going to balk at eating a whale?

However, I don't trust the fuckers not to go on the verge of wiping out the species like last time, so I hope the ban stays in place.
Not even taking into account the amount of people in Japan that want to eat whale, the number of countries involved in this pro-whaling bloc means that any kind of sustainable catch will be hediously unlikely.

It's like how shark populations are being depleted from being fished for various wants, such as food. Only, with whales, they only have one or two young per reproductive cycle, as opposed to a dozen or more. This'll pretty well ruin whale numbers, especially anywhere within either the Nordic countries's or Japan's sphere of influence.
— Carl Sagan

Darth Raptor
Red Mage

Post by Darth Raptor »

Vympel wrote:For my part, I don't care how many whales Japan kills and eats, as long as it's sustainable. I eat shitloads of animals, what, I'm just going to balk at eating a whale?
Like Erik said, sustainable commercial whaling in the modern world is a fantasy. Furthermore, do you seriously not take intelligence into account when deciding which animals to devour and which onces to vest limited rights upon?
Lord Zentei
Space Elf Psyker
Location: Ulthwé Craftworld, plotting the downfall of the Imperium.

Post by Lord Zentei »

Yes, heaven forbid that the International Whaling Commission should permit limited whaling, the very thing it was set up to regulate. And of course, any whaling will inevitably result in the extinction of whales because we're all living on a slippery slope, aren't we?

Oh, woe is us, that the evil bloc of whaling nations should have enough votes. We need more responsible and interested member states with legitimate maritime interests like Switzerland and Chad whose support for the opponents of whaling has been so helpful for the past 40 years.
CotK <mew> | HAB | JL | MM | TTC | Cybertron

TAX THE CHURCHES! - Lord Zentei TTC Supreme Grand Prophet

And the LORD said, Let there be Bosons! Yea and let there be Bosoms too!
I'd rather be the great great grandson of a demon ninja than some jackass who grew potatos. -- Covenant
Dead cows don't fart. -- CJvR
...and I like strudel! :mrgreen: -- Asuka
Darth Raptor
Red Mage

Post by Darth Raptor »

Lord Zentei wrote:Yes, heaven forbid that the International Whaling Commission should permit limited whaling, the very thing it was set up to regulate.
That makes the inhumane slaughter of nigh-sapient endangered animals for a luxury food item acceptable? Anything is permissible as long as there's a multilateral oversight commitee to regulate it?
And of course, any whaling will inevitably result in the extinction of whales because we're all living on a slippery slope, aren't we?
Japan has made its intentions to completely reverse the moratorium crystal clear.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Darth Raptor wrote:
Like Erik said, sustainable commercial whaling in the modern world is a fantasy. Furthermore, do you seriously not take intelligence into account when deciding which animals to devour and which onces to vest limited rights upon?
Not particularly, no. I don't see what logical reason there is to preferentially eat one type of animal over another because one is smarter.
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

Pick wrote:That's it. Much graduation money is headed straight to the WWF.
This dates me, but when I read this sentence my initial thought was that Pick was going to pay a bunch of professional wrestlers to beat up Japanese whale hunting lobbyists.

Not to make light of anything, since the Japanese whaling industry is such bullshit. They are so fond of finding loopholes, like doing "scientific research" on the contents of whales, which involves whaling them, cutting them open, going "Hmm... same stuff we found in the last whale" and then selling the whale to the fishmongers. It's gross. :x
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
Darth Raptor
Red Mage

Post by Darth Raptor »

Vympel wrote:Not particularly, no. I don't see what logical reason there is to preferentially eat one type of animal over another because one is smarter.
Animal rights are not a dichotomous condition; there are varying degrees. The only thing that separates humanity from lower animals is the capacity for reason. Ergo, the more intelligent a being is, the more considerations it should be entitled to. Barring survival conditions or institutionalized, artificially imposed dependence (see pork) you should eat stupid animals first. That's doubly true if there's no real need for it, they're on the verge of extinction and the only practical way to kill one is with an exploding harpoon.
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

Lord Zentei wrote:Yes, heaven forbid that the International Whaling Commission should permit limited whaling, the very thing it was set up to regulate. And of course, any whaling will inevitably result in the extinction of whales because we're all living on a slippery slope, aren't we?
Oh come on, Japan always double deals with shit like this, they'll kill as many whales as they can if they think they can get away with it. I don't doubt for a minute they'd harpoon endangered ones as well so long as no one catches them in the act.
Vympel wrote:Not particularly, no. I don't see what logical reason there is to preferentially eat one type of animal over another because one is smarter.
Out of interest, do you also not see the "logical reason" of preventing cruelty to cats and dogs in the Chinese dog and cat fur trade? I mean, it's not like they're people, right? So we can put them live on hooks and shit?
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Yogi
Jedi Council Member

Post by Yogi »

The dumbest thing is that the average Japanese person doesn't even LIKE whale meat. The price of whale meat has fallen drasticaly, and the whaling industry is desperately putting out ads trying to get people to eat the stuff.
I am capable of rearranging the fundamental building blocks of the universe in under six seconds. I shelve physics texts under "Fiction" in my personal library! I am grasping the reigns of the universe's carriage, and every morning get up and shout "Giddy up, boy!" You may never grasp the complexities of what I do, but at least have the courtesy to feign something other than slack-jawed oblivion in my presence. I, sir, am a wizard, and I break more natural laws before breakfast than of which you are even aware!

-- Vaarsuvius, from Order of the Stick
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Rye wrote:
Out of interest, do you also not see the "logical reason" of preventing cruelty to cats and dogs in the Chinese dog and cat fur trade? I mean, it's not like they're people, right? So we can put them live on hooks and shit?
:roll: What has animal cruelty got to do with what I said? I would consider myself hypocritical to be some sort of animal cruelty advocate while I consume the quantities of meat that I do. You consume meat, don't you? Frankly, as long as the dog or cat is killed relatively quick, they can do what they like. I find the concept personally repulsive, but that's subjective and emotional based on my experience of pets (pet dog) rather than any reasoned foundation. I'm sure as hell not going to tell someone they can't use the animal product though.
Animal rights are not a dichotomous condition; there are varying degrees. The only thing that separates humanity from lower animals is the capacity for reason. Ergo, the more intelligent a being is, the more considerations it should be entitled to. Barring survival conditions or institutionalized, artificially imposed dependence (see pork) you should eat stupid animals first. That's doubly true if there's no real need for it, they're on the verge of extinction and the only practical way to kill one is with an exploding harpoon.
Like I said, if the whales are not in danger of extinction, chow down, and give me some while you're at it, I wonder what whale meat tastes like. However, since certains species are, I consider it a huge risk, so it's better for it to stay banned. As for eating stupid animals first, humanity does that already, so what's the problem? Whale meat is a niche market.
Lord Zentei
Space Elf Psyker

Post by Lord Zentei »

Darth Raptor wrote:
Lord Zentei wrote:Yes, heaven forbid that the International Whaling Commission should permit limited whaling, the very thing it was set up to regulate.
That makes the inhumane slaughter of nigh-sapient endangered animals for a luxury food item acceptable? Anything is permissible as long as there's a multilateral oversight commitee to regulate it?
Strawman, fucktard. As for "inhumane slaughter" go check out a slaughterhouse. And "nigh-sapient"? Close means no cigar.
And of course, any whaling will inevitably result in the extinction of whales because we're all living on a slippery slope, aren't we?
Japan has made its intentions to completely reverse the moratorium crystal clear.
So? That does not mean that you are not using a slippery slope fallacy, and that the extinction of whales is inevitable.
Rye wrote:
Lord Zentei wrote:Yes, heaven forbid that the International Whaling Commission should permit limited whaling, the very thing it was set up to regulate. And of course, any whaling will inevitably result in the extinction of whales because we're all living on a slippery slope, aren't we?
Oh come on, Japan always double deals with shit like this, they'll kill as many whales as they can if they think they can get away with it. I don't doubt for a minute they'd harpoon endangered ones as well so long as no one catches them in the act.
Your doubts != proof. Moreover, this doubt of yours does not change the sustainability of whaling those species that are not endangered, now does it?

I'd rather be the great great grandson of a demon ninja than some jackass who grew potatos. -- Covenant
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Gil Hamilton wrote:This dates me, but when I read this sentence my initial thought was that Pick was going to pay a bunch of professional wrestlers to beat up Japanese whale hunting lobbyists.
Heck, I'd contribute some money to that. :D

One good thing to come out of this is that I actually find that I don't mind Greenpeace as much when the get in the way of whalers.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
RThurmont
Jedi Master
Location: Desperately trying to find a local restaurant that serves foie gras.

Post by RThurmont »

Out of curiosity, how has the whale population changed between 1986 and today? If it has considerably increased, I would be opposed to a continued ban on whaling, however, if it remains at the levels that prompted the alarmist ST4 and other aberrations of 1980s pop culture, I would prefer that it continue to be illegal, for two reasons:

1. I do happen to like the idea of whales remaining a vibrant, living species, and,

2. I'm dreading another round of annoying "save the whales" counter-cultural zeitgeist being forced upon us.

That said, I would also love to see whales once again be harvested once their population increases to a level where it can be done in a sustainable manner. I have no particular affection for that species; they are interesting, but quite possibly the single-most overrated species on the planet. Whale-song I find to be extremely annoying, and the massive use of whales as media icons really just bugs the shit out of me. I would also love to sample whale meat at some point in the future, once their population has reached enough of a level for sustainable whale cultivation to be re-established.

Does anyone actually have any data on the whale population of today relative to 1986?
"Here's a nickel, kid. Get yourself a better computer."
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

RThurmont wrote:Out of curiosity, how has the whale population changed between 1986 and today? If it has considerably increased, I would be opposed to a continued ban on whaling, however, if it remains at the levels that prompted the alarmist ST4 and other aberrations of 1980s pop culture, I would prefer that it continue to be illegal, for two reasons:

1. I do happen to like the idea of whales remaining a vibrant, living species, and,

2. I'm dreading another round of annoying "save the whales" counter-cultural zeitgeist being forced upon us.

That said, I would also love to see whales once again be harvested once their population increases to a level where it can be done in a sustainable manner. I have no particular affection for that species; they are interesting, but quite possibly the single-most overrated species on the planet. Whale-song I find to be extremely annoying, and the massive use of whales as media icons really just bugs the shit out of me. I would also love to sample whale meat at some point in the future, once their population has reached enough of a level for sustainable whale cultivation to be re-established.

Does anyone actually have any data on the whale population of today relative to 1986?
Depends on the species. In terms of humpback whale, when the moratorium on hunting them was introduced back in 1966 (after it was no longer commercially viable to hunt them, since there were so few) there were only 20,000 left. There's about 35,000 today. Not a very big increase. Some whales that nations want to hunt aren't considered very endangered whatsoever- the minke for example.
RThurmont
Jedi Master
Location: Desperately trying to find a local restaurant that serves foie gras.

Post by RThurmont »

So why not allow hunting of the non-endangered whales, but ban hunting,even for scientific purposes (a loophole clearly being abused) of the endangered varieties?
"Here's a nickel, kid. Get yourself a better computer."
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

RThurmont wrote:So why not allow hunting of the non-endangered whales, but ban hunting,even for scientific purposes (a loophole clearly being abused) of the endangered varieties?
Exactly my view.
Lord Zentei
Space Elf Psyker

Post by Lord Zentei »

Vympel wrote:
RThurmont wrote:So why not allow hunting of the non-endangered whales, but ban hunting,even for scientific purposes (a loophole clearly being abused) of the endangered varieties?
Exactly my view.
Mine also.

Moreover, I don't doubt that the whaling nations would accept such a compromise ruling.

Darth Raptor
Red Mage

Post by Darth Raptor »

Lord Zentei wrote:Strawman, fucktard.
You wrote:Yes, heaven forbid that the International Whaling Commission should permit limited whaling, the very thing it was set up to regulate.
Pray tell, exactly what the flying fuck did you mean by this then?
As for "inhumane slaughter" go check out a slaughterhouse.
Which is still lightyears ahead of floundering around after getting shot with an explosive harpoon. Give me an electric shock or an impact hammer to the head any day.
And "nigh-sapient"? Close means no cigar.
Hey, yeah! Intelligent animals don't deserve any better than stupid animals! We'll draw the line at whether or not they're human! What a completely enlightened and non-arbitrary cutoff point! Image

I suppose if you ever encounter a super-advanced alien with a taste for human flesh, you'll jump right in the skillet like a fucking Schmoo, won't you?
So? That does not mean that you are not using a slippery slope fallacy, and that the extinction of whales is inevitable.
Who's strawmanning? This is where you'll kindly point out where I ever said such a thing.
Lord Zentei
Space Elf Psyker

Post by Lord Zentei »

Darth Raptor wrote:ahead of floundering around after getting shot with an explosive harpoon. Give me an electric shock or an impact hammer to the head any day.
Okay.
Darth Raptor wrote:
And "nigh-sapient"? Close means no cigar.
Hey, yeah! Intelligent animals don't deserve any better than stupid animals! We'll draw the line at whether or not they're human! What a completely enlightened and non-arbitrary cutoff point! Image
Don't post like a retard. Sapience as a cutoff point is not fucking arbitrary.
I suppose if you ever encounter a super-advanced alien with a taste for human flesh, you'll jump right in the skillet like a fucking Schmoo, won't you?
Yeah, because all the animals we hunt are so willing to be hunted. This is just moronic.
Who's strawmanning? This is where you'll kindly point out where I ever said such a thing.
:roll: Your post was in response to my point. Observe:

Lord Zentei: And of course, any whaling will inevitably result in the extinction of whales because we're all living on a slippery slope, aren't we?

Darth Raptor: Japan has made its intentions to completely reverse the moratorium crystal clear.

Lord Zentei: So? That does not mean that you are not using a slippery slope fallacy, and that the extinction of whales is inevitable.

See: I mentioned that the assumption of extinction in the event of the resumption of whaling was a slippery slope and your post was clearly in response to that. It was still a slippery slope after you made your point.

Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

Vympel wrote:
Rye wrote:
:roll: What has animal cruelty got to do with what I said? I would consider myself hypocritical to be some sort of animal cruelty advocate while I consume the quantities of meat that I do. You consume meat, don't you? Frankly, as long as the dog or cat is killed relatively quick, they can do what they like. I find the concept personally repulsive, but that's subjective and emotional based on my experience of pets (pet dog) rather than any reasoned foundation. I'm sure as hell not going to tell someone they can't use the animal product though.
Since whales are so big, the only real way to kill them is harpooning, which is about the same as putting a dog on a hook and waiting for it to die. It's not like they're going to herd it into a giant pen and then put a bolt through its brain, is it?

The fact they're smart and harpooning is obviously not a pleasant experience for them, and the whole region's not got a good record when it comes to cruelty, I couldn't with good conscience say "go impale some big smart mammals," since it's hardly like the japanese are starving.
Lord Zentei wrote:As for "inhumane slaughter" go check out a slaughterhouse. And "nigh-sapient"? Close means no cigar.
I've been to a slaughterhouse and I've seen harpooning, I am under no allusions which way I'd rather go. Bolt to the brain please. I'm sure there are whales smarter than several severely retarded people, but I doubt you'd react so glibly to the japanese asking for a lift on the ban against harpooning them.
Your doubts != proof. Moreover, this doubt of yours does not change the sustainability of whaling those species that are not endangered, now does it?
Japan still has illegal whaling under the guise of the already mentioned "scientific studies" where endangered whales are considered fair game, despite international outrage and law. They do this shit now, what do you think they'll do if they're given more leeway? Stay exactly the same, or just let the commercial whalers tackle the sustainable stocks while "scientific" ones go after the endangered ones? Japan has very little credibility when it comes to abiding whaling laws.

Tot toally reverse the moratorium, I presume that means any and all whales are fair game, and since multiple other species have been hunted to extinction, it's not a terribly slippery slope to say that the Japanese might hunt further species to extinction.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus