Bush wants Intelligent Design taught in public school

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Civil War Man
NERRRRRDS!!!

Bush wants Intelligent Design taught in public school

Post by Civil War Man »

Link
WASHINGTON - President Bush said Monday he believes schools should discuss "intelligent design" alongside evolution when teaching students about the creation of life.

During a round-table interview with reporters from five Texas newspapers, Bush declined to go into detail on his personal views of the origin of life. But he said students should learn about both theories, Knight Ridder Newspapers reported.

"I think that part of education is to expose people to different schools of thought," Bush said. "You're asking me whether or not people ought to be exposed to different ideas, the answer is yes."

The theory of intelligent design says life on earth is too complex to have developed through evolution, implying that a higher power must have had a hand in creation.

Christian conservatives — a substantial part of Bush's voting base — have been pushing for the teaching of intelligent design in public schools. Scientists have rejected the theory as an attempt to force religion into science education.

On other topics during the group interview, the president:

_Refused to discuss the investigation into whether political aide Karl Rove or any other White House official leaked a CIA officer's identity, but he stood behind Rove. "Karl's got my complete confidence. He's a valuable member of my team," Bush said.

_Said he did not ask Supreme Court nominee John Roberts about his views on Roe v. Wade, the 1973 decision that legalized abortion.

_Said he hopes to work with Congress to pass an immigration reform bill this fall, including provisions for guest workers and enhanced security along the U.S.-Mexico border.

Bush spoke with reporters from the San Antonio Express-News, the Houston Chronicle, The Dallas Morning News, the Fort Worth Star-Telegram and The Austin American-Statesman.
You know, it'd be a lot quicker if Bush just came out and admitted that he wants a theocracy.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

I agree with him that it should be mentioned. It should be mentioned on the first day of the course and the statement that should be made is this: "Intelligent Design, also known as Creation Science, has no basis in fact, and will not be discussed further in the course of this class.".
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

What a shock. This completely changes my opinion of Bush's intelligence.
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Damn, beat me too it. Just heared about this one a NPR Newsbrief. Really, im not surprised, all I know is that it is offical now, Bush wants a Theocracy.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

Oh please, wanting intelligent design to be taught does not mean he wants a theocracy, just that he's another dumb christian in the US.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

So... Bush endorses ignorant bullshit in lieu of actual knowledge and scientific fact. Par for the course.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
Chmee
Sith Marauder

Post by Chmee »

If only he believed in the Intelligent Design of foreign policy.
[img=right]http://www.tallguyz.com/imagelib/chmeesig.jpg[/img]My guess might be excellent or it might be crummy, but
Mrs. Spade didn't raise any children dippy enough to
make guesses in front of a district attorney,
an assistant district attorney, and a stenographer

Sam Spade, "The Maltese Falcon"

Operation Freedom Fry
sparrowtm
Youngling

Post by sparrowtm »

Dubya wrote:
"I think that part of education is to expose people to different schools of thought," Bush said. "You're asking me whether or not people ought to be exposed to different ideas, the answer is yes."
I hereby support the idea of a giant turtle carrying around Earth on its back to be taught at school. Pretty please.
"Never trust a grinning horse. It is always planning something." --- Terry Pratchett
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

sparrowtm wrote:Dubya wrote:
I hereby support the idea of a giant turtle carrying around Earth on its back to be taught at school. Pretty please.
It's not part of the True Christian (tm) Culture of Life, so therefore it's a myth.

It's quite transparent. They just want to indoctrinate another generation of Christian robots.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
InnocentBystander
The Russian Circus

Post by InnocentBystander »

Bush can have his Intelligent Design so long as Flying Spaghetti Monsterism is given equal time in schools :)
Tokaji Kyoden
Padawan Learner

Post by Tokaji Kyoden »

:sigh: This is almost as bad as Bush wanting to ban gay marriage. Intelligent Design should be taught in schools, but in a theology class, where it belongs.
Yes! Terry Pratchetts Discworld! You forgot the four elephants though.
C:\DOS
C:\DOS\RUN
RUN\DOS\RUN
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

Chmee wrote:If only he believed in the Intelligent Design of foreign policy.
His foreign policy is, after all, too stupid to have come about just by chance.
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

Flagg wrote:I agree with him that it should be mentioned. It should be mentioned on the first day of the course and the statement that should be made is this: "Intelligent Design, also known as Creation Science, has no basis in fact, and will not be discussed further in the course of this class.".
I suggested my biology teacher give creationism equal time: half the class spent learning about evolution, and the other half spent debunking reams of creationist material.
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
SpacedTeddyBear
Jedi Master

Post by SpacedTeddyBear »

Wait a minute. You believed that Bush still had intelligence?

If parents want their kids to learn about Intelligent Design, send them to a private school. If they don't have the money, have their church sponsor them.
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner
Location: Louisiana... or Dagobah. You know, where Yoda lives.

Post by Einhander Sn0m4n »

I shall quote the greatest Nerdcore rapper ever as my reaction to this not-unexpected bullshit:

Fucking punk ass creationists trying to set scientific thought back 400 years. Fuck that!

If them superstitious motherfuckers want to have that kind of party, I'm going to put my dick in the mashed potatoes.
Image Image
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Guys, guys, guys! Bush doesn't want a theocracy! He just wants us all to live by the standards laid out in the Bible... as interpreted by his conservative sponsors!
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
That NOS Guy
Jedi Council Member

Post by That NOS Guy »

DPDarkPrimus wrote:Guys, guys, guys! Bush doesn't want a theocracy! He just wants us all to live by the standards laid out in the Bible... as interpreted by his conservative sponsors!
Exactly, everyone makes it sound so horrible. Geez, people get carried away with "freedom", there needs to be some restrictions.

Since when the hell did science class become "Well, that's your opinion"?
Firefox
Jedi Council Member

Post by Firefox »

SpacedTeddyBear wrote:
Wait a minute. You believed that Bush still had intelligence?
Someone's sarcasmometer needs to be recalibrated.
If parents want their kids to learn about Intelligent Design, send them to a private school. If they don't have the money, have their church sponsor them.
Or if they get their way, have their child's religious indoctrination funded by taxpayers. :x
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

That NOS Guy wrote:
DPDarkPrimus wrote:Guys, guys, guys! Bush doesn't want a theocracy! He just wants us all to live by the standards laid out in the Bible... as interpreted by his conservative sponsors!
Exactly, everyone makes it sound so horrible. Geez, people get carried away with "freedom", there needs to be some restrictions.

Since when the hell did science class become "Well, that's your opinion"?
Since the religious right in this country somehow managed to equate the word "Theory" with the word "Opinion".
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
That NOS Guy
Jedi Council Member

Post by That NOS Guy »

Flagg wrote: Since the religious right in this country somehow managed to equate the word "Theory" with the word "Opinion".
Isn't intelligent desgin "merely a theory"? Thus in and of itself saying "well, we deny evolution because it's only a theory, but our theory is t3h sex because we said so"?

Maye I'm tangeting here, but isn't that really hypocritical and self-defeating?
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

That NOS Guy wrote:
Flagg wrote: Since the religious right in this country somehow managed to equate the word "Theory" with the word "Opinion".
Isn't intelligent desgin "merely a theory"? Thus in and of itself saying "well, we deny evolution because it's only a theory, but our theory is t3h sex because we said so"?

It's not a scientific theory.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Grandmaster Jogurt
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grandmaster Jogurt »

That NOS Guy wrote:

As far as I know, all they're trying to do now is say that since they're both "just theories", then they're both equally correct and should be given equal time. So not really hypocritical, just entirely dishonest and fallacious.
That NOS Guy
Jedi Council Member

Post by That NOS Guy »

Flagg wrote:
It's not a scientific theory.
Ah, thanks for the heads up, people calling it such confused me.
Grandmaster Jogurt wrote:
As far as I know, all they're trying to do now is say that since they're both "just theories", then they're both equally correct and should be given equal time. So not really hypocritical, just entirely dishonest and fallacious.
As Flagg so kindly pointed out, it's not seen as a right and proper theory by the scientific community, so how could they possibly use that method of thought, in science class?

Bah, I'm too used to the concept of trying not to lie and muck things up.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

A post I saw in relation to this article here
Astrobairn wrote:I look forward to politics and economics classes giving equal time to comunist doctrine. After all whhy shouldn't children see both theories?
This seems like an interesting idea
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

We did get quite a lot of coverage of various economic theories in school. We got many different versions of history taught (from the p.o.v of all nations involved in various conflicts). But not once was creationism mentioned. EVER.