Colorado Supreme Court Removes Trump from State Ballot

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Re: Colorado Supreme Court Removes Trump from State Ballot

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Of the 9 SCOTUS members, 6 of them are Republican-appointed and 3 are Democrat. So with a 2/3 Republican majority, of course they'll think about politics.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Assuming the Judges are intelligent Republicans, they'll vote that the amendment applies to everyone, thereby disqualifying Trump.

Now, you're going 'no, they won't, Republicans stick together'. Okay, true. BUT...

The Upper levels of the Republican party , the real upper levels, are career politicos, and very intelligent.

By keeping Trump off the ballet, they have what might appear to them to be the ultimate piece of ammo for the 2026 and 2028 election cycles.

"They are so scared of us, they kept Trump off the ballet using legal trickery, we can't let this stand! How long until they keep YOU from doing something via legal trickery?"

It's the ultimate piece of ammo for their fear mongering tactics. Sacrifice Trump, and win the country. Hopefully with more sane policies then Trumps core supporters want.

Is that why I want to see this get determined? No. I want to see Trump's ass finally get what is coming to him.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

They might decide that they have a better chance of winning if they get rid of Trump now. Maybe in this years election because they think Trump's support will crash once a trial starts. Maybe long term if they can get the Trump stain out and go back to keeping the quiet part quiet.

Or maybe they just don't trust that someone who stole classified documents will be loyal to their interests over his own.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

bilateralrope wrote: 2024-01-06 09:59am Or maybe they just don't trust that someone who stole classified documents will be loyal to their interests over his own.
Honestly, I tihnk this might be the key part. How often did various GOP'ers have to go on CNN/Fox/whatever to "justify" and "clarify" whatever piece of insanity Trump spewed forth that week? I suspect a good bunch of them are just tired of dealing with him.

As for 3 of 9 SCOTUS members being appointed by Trump, that article does mention that they voted overwhelmingly against his election-challenge cases in 2021, so there is some precedent. Also, wouldn't them being appointed by Trump be a conflict of interest enough that they should recuse themselves?

As a final note, I love how every article about this brings up that the 14th Amendment is a "Civil War-era amendment" as if that in some way lessens the fact that it is, in fact, part of the constitution. Hell, they love bringing up the 2nd Amendment and that's decades older.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Solauren wrote: 2024-01-06 09:28amThe Upper levels of the Republican party , the real upper levels, are career politicos, and very intelligent.

By keeping Trump off the ballet, they have what might appear to them to be the ultimate piece of ammo for the 2026 and 2028 election cycles.

"They are so scared of us, they kept Trump off the ballet using legal trickery, we can't let this stand! How long until they keep YOU from doing something via legal trickery?"

It's the ultimate piece of ammo for their fear mongering tactics. Sacrifice Trump, and win the country. Hopefully with more sane policies then Trumps core supporters want.
Well, yes. But they might also decide that keeping Trump off the ballot will result in him ordering his horde of much less intelligent but slavishly obedient minions to drag them out of their homes in the dead of night and kick them to death in front of their families for daring to defy him, and will therefore vote the way they're told to vote for the sake of their own hides.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Zaune wrote: 2024-01-06 04:16pm
Solauren wrote: 2024-01-06 09:28amThe Upper levels of the Republican party , the real upper levels, are career politicos, and very intelligent.

Well, yes. But they might also decide that keeping Trump off the ballot will result in him ordering his horde of much less intelligent but slavishly obedient minions to drag them out of their homes in the dead of night and kick them to death in front of their families for daring to defy him, and will therefore vote the way they're told to vote for the sake of their own hides.
💯. In addition, Republicans are now an openly Fascist party, and that will continue whether or not Trump is in office. Everyone who voted against Trump will be punished severely (aka imprisoned and/or executed) the next time Republicans come into power, and SCOTUS Republicans are well aware of that. I’d be highly surprised if they vote to kick Trump off the ballot, though there is hope.

Of course, that doesn’t change the main issue which is that Republicans and the majority of their voters are now open Fascists.

Democracy only works when everyone is willing to abide by the results and when everyone prefers the peaceful transfer of power more than getting their own way no matter what. Republicans and their base don’t give a damn about any of that and they are clearly looking forward to bathing in the blood of their enemies.

How a Republican form of government can survive when one of the two major parties transparently wants to overthrow the said government and establish a Christian-fascist theocracy is beyond me. Even during the Civil War the Confederates acknowledged Lincoln’s election as president.

Again, I hope that my cynicism is proven wrong, but it looks to me like we’re all in for a hell of a shit show.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Tribble wrote: 2024-01-06 06:56pm Of course, that doesn’t change the main issue which is that Republicans and the majority of their voters are now open Fascists
How a Republican form of government can survive when one of the two major parties transparently wants to overthrow the said government and establish a Christian-fascist theocracy is beyond me. Even during the Civil War the Confederates acknowledged Lincoln’s election as president.
Banning the party, imprisoning a bunch of its leaders and mass disinfranchisment of its supporters would do a lot to fix that. But none of the people in a position to make that happen have any will to do so.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Ralin wrote: 2024-01-06 07:11pmBanning the party, imprisoning a bunch of its leaders and mass disinfranchisment of its supporters would do a lot to fix that. But none of the people in a position to make that happen have any will to do so.
And not without good reason, because that would very likely kick off the kind of national crisis where parts of the army start taking sides.

Of course, not doing that could lead to the United States experiencing proper serious tyranny for the first time in its history. Damned if they do, damned if they don't.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

I Have A Blog
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Zaune wrote: 2024-01-06 07:42pm And not without good reason, because that would very likely kick off the kind of national crisis where parts of the army start taking sides.

Of course, not doing that could lead to the United States experiencing proper serious tyranny for the first time in its history. Damned if they do, damned if they don't.
Just going to point out that a Republican form of government can survive large swathes or even most of the population not being able to vote. We know this because the US did exactly that for quite awhile.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Oh, sure. But can it survive there only being one credible political party to vote for? I think even people who thought the GOP had it coming would start feeling pretty uncomfortable if the Democrats started winning elections by default because their candidates were the only ones who could get on the ballot.

-- fgalkin

I Have A Blog
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Zaune wrote: 2024-01-06 09:00pm Oh, sure. But can it survive there only being one credible political party to vote for? I think even people who thought the GOP had it coming would start feeling pretty uncomfortable if the Democrats started winning elections by default because their candidates were the only ones who could get on the ballot.
Safe bet that the Democrats would split apart same as the last time one of the two major parties died. Since large chunks of the Democratic Party hate each other and have conflicting goals already.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Well China is the biggest one-party state, I can easily see the Republicans wanting to emulate that.
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

bilateralrope wrote: 2024-01-06 02:56amSCOTUS are ruling quickly. Whichever way the rule, getting a ruling quickly seems a good thing.

Question is, how will they rule ?

If they try to figure out what was intended when the 14th amendment was written, it doesn't look good for Trump. I'm not convinced by any of the arguments put forward to say that insurrectionists are allowed to be president but not lower positions.

If they think about politics, they have to ask themselves if it's better for their goals to have Trump, or one of the other people competing for the Republicans nomination, as their nominee.
Trump seems to be preparing for the possibility they'll rule against him, preemptively carrying on about how it seems like "his" justices might betray him and he's never seen anything like it. Trying to put that kind of public pressure on judges with a lifetime tenure does not work the same way as doing it to Congresscritters up for reelection next year.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Rogue 9 wrote: 2024-01-07 06:23pm Trump seems to be preparing for the possibility they'll rule against him, preemptively carrying on about how it seems like "his" justices might betray him and he's never seen anything like it. Trying to put that kind of public pressure on judges with a lifetime tenure does not work the same way as doing it to Congresscritters up for reelection next year.
The more Trump tries that, the more incentive Trump gives them to want someone else in the White House.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

bilateralrope wrote: 2024-01-07 10:37pm
Rogue 9 wrote: 2024-01-07 06:23pm Trump seems to be preparing for the possibility they'll rule against him, preemptively carrying on about how it seems like "his" justices might betray him and he's never seen anything like it. Trying to put that kind of public pressure on judges with a lifetime tenure does not work the same way as doing it to Congresscritters up for reelection next year.
The more Trump tries that, the more incentive Trump gives them to want someone else in the White House.
… and the more likely they’ll think they’ll be punished if they refuse to obey, if not by Trump than by his successors.

Or maybe that they’ll be lynched / executed by a Republican mob.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

For people who are afraid of being lynched or assassinated they (by which I mean Republican politicians in general) sure don't seem too concerned with their personal security. I mean, someone vandalized Mitch McConnell's house a couple years ago. With spray paint, but could have just as easily been a Molotov and this is a guy who is both widely hated and a focal point for anger and by all rights should be going to sleep in his own personal Barad-dur with armed guards on patrol. That goes double for someone like Rape Judge even before factoring in the possibility of his own side turning on him
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Historically, the US has not had the level of politcal violence that some other places do. That's why McConnell's house could be vandalized, and Nancy Pelosi's husband assaulted, among other things. I suspect high level government officials need to ramp up their security.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

Broomstick wrote: 2024-01-09 03:27pm Historically, the US has not had the level of politcal violence that some other places do. That's why McConnell's house could be vandalized, and Nancy Pelosi's husband assaulted, among other things. I suspect high level government officials need to ramp up their security.
Oh, they will. Better to spend millions on protecting themselves from the consequences of their actions than, you know, actually doing their jobs with integrity.

I always laugh when politicians whine about threats and violence directed at them. Have they ever considered that they're the problem, and not the populace?
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

That's a massive overgeneralization. The Problem here is Trump and his cultists.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

How much repercussion did the Supreme Court dickheads that overturned Roe vs Wade face?
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Batman wrote: 2024-01-09 08:08pm How much repercussion did the Supreme Court dickheads that overturned Roe vs Wade face?
I think some people were mean to them in restaurants. Not necessarily because of that decision
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Highlord Laan wrote: 2024-01-09 07:56pm
Broomstick wrote: 2024-01-09 03:27pm Historically, the US has not had the level of politcal violence that some other places do. That's why McConnell's house could be vandalized, and Nancy Pelosi's husband assaulted, among other things. I suspect high level government officials need to ramp up their security.
Oh, they will. Better to spend millions on protecting themselves from the consequences of their actions than, you know, actually doing their jobs with integrity.

I always laugh when politicians whine about threats and violence directed at them. Have they ever considered that they're the problem, and not the populace?
Right. Because there are no random crazies in the world who just want to kill people they disagree with. :roll:
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Man votes to reduce Sales Tax on Food by 2%, down to 1%. It can't be eliminated because that 1% goes towards schools.
99.999% of the population will cheer.

Then that loan crazy will decide he doesn't like it for whatever reason, and begins to clean is gun to use it on the the man everyone else is cheering.

Who's the problem in that scenario?
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

I like that you're a dumbass who thinks that left-wing politicians aren't way more likely to be subject to violence than those Republicans you hate so much. Especially if they're women or Muslim or whatever. Tell us, dum dum, what exactly is the correct way politicians should be doing 'their jobs' that would insulate them from threats and violence directed against them? Does the fact that there is less left-wing political violence than right-wing political violence mean that the Republicans are doing their jobs right?

Now let's all watch Highlord Laan piss his pants and scurry off again like every other time he gets called out on his crap.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

I SUGGEST WE ALL GET BACK ON TOPIC, Personally.

And, on-topic... There's a FB post going around that TRUMP will NOT be on Nevada's Primary Ballot.

Well... it's half-right. NONE OF THE GOP CANDIDATES WILL BE ON THE NEVADA PRIMARY BALLOT.

Why No GOP Will Be On Nevada's State Primary
TL:DR -- Because the Nevada GOP is running a CAUCUS two days before the Primary.
There's more political stupidity over caucuses vs primaries in the article, I'm not going to even attempt to sum it up other than GOP want Caucusese DEM wants Primaries for REASONS.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet