Trump and the Jan 6 investigation

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Re: Trump and the Jan 6 investigation

Post by Solauren »

bilateralrope wrote: 2023-08-05 08:23am So I'm expecting him to be incarcerated somewhere where he's the only prisoner. Even if that means it's house arrest at some isolated property he owns.
Or....
refurbish just enough of Alcatraz....
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Solauren wrote: 2023-08-05 07:16pm
bilateralrope wrote: 2023-08-05 08:23am So I'm expecting him to be incarcerated somewhere where he's the only prisoner. Even if that means it's house arrest at some isolated property he owns.
Or....
It's cheaper to use a building Trump paid for.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

bilateralrope wrote: 2023-08-06 01:59am
Solauren wrote: 2023-08-05 07:16pm
Or....
It's cheaper to use a building Trump paid for.
Cheaper, and there's also the twist of making so he can't even walk outside to golf. Make him wear an ankle band, just like in AntMan2, have it go off if he steps outside a certain set of rooms (or radius from the center point). if he keeps setting off the monitor, move him to a smaller building.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

There's also the matter of keeping him secure, Trump has made a lot of enemies and IIRC he does not own forts that are in a condition suited for habitation.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

They could always have him put against a wall and shot to encourage the others.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

When you're fucked, try changing the rules --

Trump seeks to replace Judge in Election Fraud Trial
Donald Trump has said he will ask the judge in his election fraud case to step aside on what he called "very powerful grounds".

He claimed that "there is no way I can get a fair trial" unless she does.

His call came after the prosecution requested a court order that would limit what he can publicly say about the case.

The judge, Tanya Chutkan, was appointed by former President Barack Obama.

Trump took to his social media platform, Truth Social, on Sunday morning, describing the case as "the ridiculous freedom of speech, slash fair elections case" and saying that his legal team would immediately be asking for recusal of the judge.

He give no details of his grounds for asking her to step down.
Because he's got no grounds to call for her stepping down. I'm sure he's pushing his lawyers to find anything he can use, and he's probably breaking laws by doing so (bribes, threats, you know, business as usual). I'm waiting for him to be blatantly stupid and stay something that can be construed as a threat on her life. THEN they'll have the ammo to lock him down and take all his communication away. It'll just be a matter of how much control his lawyers have over him.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Since when do have Trump's lawyers ANY control over him? The man is pathologically incapable of not digging his own grave because he is used to thinking he's untouchable.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Trump gets to paint himself as a martyr this way. His followers have the standard conservative mindset of believing that the world is against them, and Trump is just appealing to that like any good marketing manager would.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Maybe if infinite percent of the evidence says you are the villain of the piece, that's because you ARE the villain of the piece?
Perish the thought.
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Yeah, but that's evidence from the evil deep state, fake news and the like. Not honest conservative facts.

It's the Bush II years with less polish.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

There's no such thing as 'honest' conservative 'facts' but I think that was the point.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Lord Revan wrote: 2023-08-06 05:00pm There's also the matter of keeping him secure, Trump has made a lot of enemies and IIRC he does not own forts that are in a condition suited for habitation.
He can always buy a new property that's more suitable. Somewhere where visitors can't easily sneak to the residence. Preferably somewhere where drones aren't allowed to be flown, even if that puts Trump near an airport.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

bilateralrope wrote: 2023-08-07 12:38am
Lord Revan wrote: 2023-08-06 05:00pm There's also the matter of keeping him secure, Trump has made a lot of enemies and IIRC he does not own forts that are in a condition suited for habitation.
He can always buy a new property that's more suitable. Somewhere where visitors can't easily sneak to the residence. Preferably somewhere where drones aren't allowed to be flown, even if that puts Trump near an airport.
Like I said, fix up Alcatraz.
AND make Trump pay for it :)
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Aaand he already vialoted the gag order....
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

LaCroix wrote: 2023-08-08 05:02am Aaand he already vialoted the gag order....
What gag order do you mean? Because the only one I know of is him being told not to disclose classified information that comes up in the trial and discovery, and that's less a gag order and more "Duh."

If you mean his attacks on Pence, I really doubt a court is going to go down the route of barring one of the leading candidates for next year's presidential election from saying bad things about one of his opponents.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Ralin wrote: 2023-08-08 06:10am
What gag order do you mean? Because the only one I know of is him being told not to disclose classified information that comes up in the trial and discovery, and that's less a gag order and more "Duh."

If you mean his attacks on Pence, I really doubt a court is going to go down the route of barring one of the leading candidates for next year's presidential election from saying bad things about one of his opponents.
There was an order telling him not to "intimidate witnesses". Pence counts.

So now that he did exactly what we thought he'd do, what's the consquences for him? Locked up with no access to public communication?

Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

LadyTevar wrote: 2023-08-08 08:02am There was an order telling him not to "intimidate witnesses". Pence counts.

So now that he did exactly what we thought he'd do, what's the consquences for him? Locked up with no access to public communication?
Nothing. Because unless there's something I haven't heard yet that's not coming up with a quick Google search the 'intimidation' boils down to him saying Pence is a bad man, delusional and mentioning some magazine article Trump read about him. That's not going to be enough to prompt the courts to stop a presidential candidate from talking trash about one of his opponents.
Zwinmar
Jedi Master

Post by Zwinmar »

And it starts Judge Cannon doing shenanigans
Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

LadyTevar wrote: 2023-08-08 08:02am
Ralin wrote: 2023-08-08 06:10am

There was an order telling him not to "intimidate witnesses". Pence counts.

The Protective Order the DOJ is asking for, which has yet to be granted, is designed to hold Trumps lawyer accountable, rather than Trump.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Ancient Egyptian Blessing

Ivanova is always right.
I will listen to Ivanova.
I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God.
AND, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out! - Babylon 5 Mantra

There is no "I" in TEAM. There is a ME however.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

If you want a good preview of how Trump's statements outside the courtroom are likely to be treated I'd suggest looking at the Alex Jones trial. Which I didn't follow much at the time but by all accounts consisted of the wealthy far-right defendent with a cult following going on regular televised rants about how the judge was a Satanic inquisitor and the whole thing was a sham and detailing his plans to avoid paying any damage awards. Jones didn't get away with that, the court fucked him over hard in the long-run, but no one did anything to actually forcibly shut him up.

And I think Jones and Trump are comparable in terms of the likelihood of some random chud deciding to make Daddy proud by going out and killing someone because Daddy said he was a bad man.

If Trump graduates to posting pictures of the judge with a crosshairs drawn over her face or outright says "I command loyal American patriots to take up arms and kill this pedophile prosecutor. This is not a figure of speech, go shoot this guy's house up" that might change.

Might.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

So, it's an approach of 'let Trump run his mouth and make his own situation worse, as long as he doesn't cross any lines?'

I can live with that :)

Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

I am legit hoping the trumpian hordes do something stupid during all this. I'd like nothing more for the zombies and their meal tam six fuckbois to get force fed the curb.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Highlord Laan wrote: 2023-08-12 03:24amI am legit hoping the trumpian hordes do something stupid during all this. I'd like nothing more for the zombies and their meal tam six fuckbois to get force fed the curb.
Shame about all the innocent bystanders who'll get caught in the crossfire though.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Highlord Laan wrote: 2023-08-12 03:24am I am legit hoping the trumpian hordes do something stupid during all this. I'd like nothing more for the zombies and their meal tam six fuckbois to get force fed the curb.
Oh look, it's the internet tough guy!
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

Ralin wrote: 2023-08-12 05:11am
Highlord Laan wrote: 2023-08-12 03:24am I am legit hoping the trumpian hordes do something stupid during all this. I'd like nothing more for the zombies and their meal tam six fuckbois to get force fed the curb.
Oh look, it's the internet tough guy!
"I don't like what this person said, so I'm going to call them a meme."
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.