Twitter board agrees to $44 billion sale to billionaire Tesla founder Elon Musk

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Re: Twitter board agrees to $44 billion sale to billionaire Tesla founder Elon Musk

Post by Zaune »

Doesn't have the same snap though.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Re: Twitter board agrees to $44 billion sale to billionaire Tesla founder Elon Musk

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

And just like Trump he's claiming it's "politically motivated" :wanker:
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Musk admits X may be doomed to fail as new glitch wipes out pictures from former Twitter platform
[/i]Glitch comes after Mr Musk’s X slowed down access to the sites of rival social media platforms

Vishwam Sankaran
8 hours ago[/i]

Elon Musk, the owner of X – the company formerly known as Twitter – said on Saturday that the social media platform “may fail” as a new glitch wiped out most pictures tweeted before December 2014.

“The sad truth is that there are no great ‘social networks’ right now. We may fail, as so many have predicted, but we will try our best to make there be at least one,” Mr Musk posted on X.

Since his take-over of the company for $44bn, the multibillionaire has tried to shake things up, introducing radical new changes to the platform, from laying off over three-fourths of Twitter’s workforce to his latest statement that the platform’s feature to block other user profiles would be removed.

The platform, being rebranded as X, has also suffered blackouts and glitches in recent times with the latest one appearing to affect tweets with pictures and links published prior to December 2014.

X appeared to have problems displaying old posts that came with attached images or hyperlinks converted using Twitter’s built-in web link shortener.

Among the images initially lost was the famous “most retweeted” selfie from the 2014 Oscars by the event’s host and comedian Ellen DeGeneres.

This image has since been restored, but most old tweets before December 2014 have broken short links instead of the actual media or links.

“More vandalism from Elon Musk. Twitter has now removed all media posted before 2014. That’s - so far - almost a decade of pictures and videos from the early 2000s removed from the service,” Brazilian YouTuber Tom Coates posted on Twitter.

The glitch comes after Mr Musk’s X intentionally slowed down access to the sites of rival social media platforms such as Threads, Facebook, and Instagram, as well as those of news organisations like New York Times last week.

X seemed to add a delay of about five seconds when people clicked on links to go elsewhere on the web.

There are speculations that the latest glitch preventing access to old images could be due to X trying to recover more server space, but this might also not be an intentional move carried out for cost-cutting purposes.

Some people also appear to be able to view their old images back again, but it remains unclear why the glitch occurred in the first place.
Sounds like Musk is finally noticing that the backend isn't as reliable as it once was. Of course, he's not going to accept that it's because he fired most of the engineers who kept it running.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

X may soon add ID verification for 'preventing impersonation'
The feature was spotted several months after rampant impersonation derailed the launch of Twitter Blue.

Karissa Bell|@karissabe|August 17, 2023 3:04 PM

X appears to be working on new ID verification features several months after rampant impersonation temporarily derailed the company’s paid verification plans. The platform is now working on an additional verification feature that requires users to upload a copy of their government-issued ID and snap a selfie, according to a screenshot shared by app researcher Nima Owji.

Owji, who often uncovers unreleased features in X, first spotted an “ID verified” badge on Musk’s profile earlier this month. Now, he’s discovered an in-app message detailing how it works, suggesting that it may be getting closer to an official launch. “Verify your account by providing government-issued ID,” it says. “This usually takes about 5 minutes.” It explains that users will need to provide a photo of their ID and a selfie.

It seems X is partnering with a third-party “identity intelligence” company Au10tix on the feature. The fine print notes that information shared for verification will be seen by Au10tix as well as X. X will keep “ID images, including biometric data, for up to 30 days” and will use the information “for the purposes of safety and security, including preventing impersonation.”

An Au10tix representative didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment. The company’s website advertises “8-second verification without even partial human involvement” and “first-of-a-kind tech detecting synthetic fraud patterns globally.” The company says it’s previously worked with companies like Google, PayPal and Uber.

X didn’t respond to a request for comment. But the feature suggests the company is looking for new ways to combat impersonation on the platform. Right now, X offers verified status to anyone paying for an X Premium (formerly known as Twitter Blue) subscription.

The company doesn’t conduct its own identity checks, though it has implemented some safeguards, like its verified organizations feature. Still, some impersonators have still managed to slip through. Verification has also been exploited by numerous scammers, particularly crypto scammers, who use the additional visibility that comes with an X premium subscription to elevate their posts. It’s unclear if adding optional identity checks would fully solve these issues, but it could make some scammers and impersonators a bit easier to identify.
So this is a completely automated method of checking ID.

Imagine I gave you scans of three drivers licenses from a location of your choice:
- One is my real license
- One is my face on someone else's license
- One is my face on a license where all the text is incorrect

How would you tell which is which ?

Unless you can point to some deal between Au10tix and at least one government, you'll have to assume you don't have access to any official license databases.

You can probably see how I'm expecting this to go.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Yeah. Most governments don't allow that kind of information out to 3rd parties due to privacy laws.

Working for the Canadian Federal Government, its like pulling teeth to get information from other sections of government that I have security clearance to have, let alone other levels (i.e from one of the provincial governments). Forms to fill out, management approval, etc.

It once took a co-workers 2 YEARS to get someone's drivers license photo, to verify someone's ID.

So yeah, my doubts are at like, 99.99%
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
bobalot
Jedi Council Member

Post by bobalot »

Has there ever been a historical precedent of one dickhead destroying a multi-billion dollar company in such a record time?
"This statement, in its utterly clueless hubristic stupidity, cannot be improved upon. I merely quote it in admiration of its perfection." - Garibaldi

"Problem is, while the Germans have had many mea culpas and quite painfully dealt with their history, the South is still hellbent on painting themselves as the real victims. It gives them a special place in the history of assholes" - Covenant

"Over three million died fighting for the emperor, but when the war was over he pretended it was not his responsibility. What kind of man does that?'' - Saburo Sakai

Join SDN on Discord
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

bobalot wrote: 2023-09-06 06:44am Has there ever been a historical precedent of one dickhead destroying a multi-billion dollar company in such a record time?
To be fair, he don't know IF he's destroyed the company yet. Yeah, he's made some very questionable decisions, but the company is still operating, and if their claims are to be believed, the company is close to returning to profitability.

That being said, comparing this to a powerful storm, we appear to be at the edge, with the more powerful aspects of the storm approaching. (i.e Regulators, lawsuits, etc). It's entirely possible (if not probable), that his management up to this point will collide hard with that, and that will destroy the company.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

bobalot wrote: 2023-09-06 06:44am Has there ever been a historical precedent of one dickhead destroying a multi-billion dollar company in such a record time?
King Henry and England's Catholic Church?
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

LadyTevar wrote: 2023-09-06 08:33am King Henry and England's Catholic Church?
Didn't he spend years trying to be a good Catholic and follow the rules and only schism after the Pope repeatedly denied his requests for a divorce (which had been granted in similar circumstances) because of his wife's family connections? That's a way longer time frame without even considering that he actually did create a new, successful Protestant church to replace them.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

LadyTevar wrote: 2023-09-06 08:33am
King Henry and England's Catholic Church?
King Henry was never in charge of the Catholic Church in England.

He declared himself head of the Church in England, creating the Prodestant Church in the process, and then granted his own divorce, and then siezed all Catholic Church assets.

He didn't take over the church of England, he created a new Church, and then plundered the old one.
To compare to a modern corporate situation - he left his old company, created a new one, and then figured away to buy up all the old corporations assets while leaving it's union agreements and shareholders holding the bill.

Musk wishes he was as effective as King Henry was.

Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

Yeah, its called a leveraged buyout and its what killed Radioshack and Toys r Us among many others, and Musk managed to fuck that up by leaving himself on the hook for large portions of the debt.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Ancient Egyptian Blessing

Ivanova is always right.
I will listen to Ivanova.
I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God.
AND, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out! - Babylon 5 Mantra

There is no "I" in TEAM. There is a ME however.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Lost Soal wrote: 2023-09-06 11:08am Yeah, its called a leveraged buyout and its what killed Radioshack and Toys r Us among many others, and Musk managed to fuck that up by leaving himself on the hook for large portions of the debt.
Is that what got Sears and K-mart too?
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

So anyway, Musk has revealed the real cause of Twitter's loss of value. It seems he's been targeted by a group of (((people))) with a disproportionate amount of influence over media who have been bad mouthing him to advertisers.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Yes. Trump, to the US government. :mrgreen:
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Trump needed a full term, and Biden's record so far says it was salvagable. I don't think the same can be said for X (used to be Twitter).
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Ralin wrote: 2023-09-06 05:29pm So anyway, Musk has revealed the real cause of Twitter's loss of value. It seems he's been targeted by a group of (((people))) with a disproportionate amount of influence over media who have been bad mouthing him to advertisers.
Suing the ADL will just be one more data point they use to show that he's an anti-Semite and drive away advertisers.

Here's an interesting quote:
The billionaire said that U.S. advertising revenue "is still down 60%, primarily due to pressure on advertisers by @ADL (that's what advertisers tell us), so they almost succeeded in killing X/Twitter!"
Musk didn't call it X. He called it X/Twitter. The name change is so dumb that he isn't using it.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

bilateralrope wrote: 2023-09-07 12:08am
Musk didn't call it X. He called it X/Twitter. The name change is so dumb that he isn't using it.
Surely that's just because the ongoing Jewish conspiracy against him predates the name change?
Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

LadyTevar wrote: 2023-09-06 02:38pm
Lost Soal wrote: 2023-09-06 11:08am Yeah, its called a leveraged buyout and its what killed Radioshack and Toys r Us among many others, and Musk managed to fuck that up by leaving himself on the hook for large portions of the debt.
Is that what got Sears and K-mart too?
Yip. Barrow shit loads, buy the company, move the debt onto the company (you can make a profit just from this) then watch as profitable companies die due to debt they cannot repay.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Ancient Egyptian Blessing

Ivanova is always right.
I will listen to Ivanova.
I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God.
AND, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out! - Babylon 5 Mantra

There is no "I" in TEAM. There is a ME however.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Ralin wrote: 2023-09-06 05:29pm So anyway, Musk has revealed the real cause of Twitter's loss of value. It seems he's been targeted by a group of (((people))) with a disproportionate amount of influence over media who have been bad mouthing him to advertisers.
Excuse me - the triple curved brackets to refer to Jews, a Jewish person, etc. is a feature of anti-Semitic conspiracy theorists and racial supremacist dickheads. The practice originated with actual Neo-Nazis. I'm going to assume you weren't aware of how offensive that is. Please do not do that again. It is hate speech and a racial slur.

(There are some Jews who do this to attempt to re-claim the practice, much as some LGBTQ+ people use the word "queer", or now some African-Americans use the "n-word" amongst themselves, but unless you're Jewish, LGBTQ+, or Black you shouldn't be using them.)
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

I think they were trying to make a point about how Dilbert Stark's now quite literally using neo-Nazi rhetoric himself, but yeah. That's something you should be cautious about, Ralin: People might get the wrong idea.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Broomstick wrote: 2023-09-07 07:23am
Excuse me - the triple curved brackets to refer to Jews, a Jewish person, etc. is a feature of anti-Semitic conspiracy theorists and racial supremacist dickheads. The practice originated with actual Neo-Nazis. I'm going to assume you weren't aware of how offensive that is. Please do not do that again. It is hate speech and a racial slur.

(There are some Jews who do this to attempt to re-claim the practice, much as some LGBTQ+ people use the word "queer", or now some African-Americans use the "n-word" amongst themselves, but unless you're Jewish, LGBTQ+, or Black you shouldn't be using them.)
I think in that context Ralin was being facetious, but yes, let's avoid doing that particular ((())) thing.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Why yes, I was making the point that Elon Musk's threat to sue a Jewish organization for conspiring to destroy his business using their behind the scenes power over advertisers and the media does seem to have very strong antisemitic overtones. I think that was pretty obvious from context to everyone but Broomstick, and frankly I suspect she understood that too and just felt like being contrary and starting shit.

I will also point out that while I admit I don't take the concept of 'n-word privileges' as seriously as some there was actually a trend of encouraging people of all backgrounds to use the triple parentheses in their own usernames on social media and Twitter in particular several years back when it came into widespread use specifically to make it more of a pain in the ass for neo-Nazi types to use it as a convenient way of singling out Jewish users because of something to do with how Twitter's search function worked (I forget the exact details). Which both further explains why I believed associating this particular reference to antisemitism with Elon Musk was appropriate in this situation and also undermines the notion that the Jewish people have collectively claimed ownership over the use of that particular convention.

Duh.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Ralin wrote: 2023-09-07 01:56pm I think that was pretty obvious from context to everyone but Broomstick, and frankly I suspect she understood that too and just felt like being contrary and starting shit.
Pointing out that something could come across as bigoted is not "starting shit", and I did state I didn't think you meant it in that way.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

Alright, settle down. Derailment over. Let’s just avoid using the parentheses thing, and maybe not jump on someone for perceived bigotry until you know more about the motives.

Don’t make me turn this car around.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.