Democratic Party HQ in Arizona destroyed by arson, critical documents and computer systems destroyed.

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Democratic Party HQ in Arizona destroyed by arson, critical documents and computer systems destroyed.

Post by The Romulan Republic »

It may also impede the Arizona Democrats' convention.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/lo ... 5501305002
Investigators believe a fire that caused extensive damage to the state Democratic Party headquarters early Friday in downtown Phoenix was intentionally set.

Heavy smoke and fire were billowing from the building around 1 a.m. near Central Avenue and Thomas Road as Phoenix firefighters arrived on scene. They quickly entered the building to search for persons and began a fire attack to put out the flames, according to officials.

No one was inside the building at the time, and no injuries were reported.

Phoenix Fire Investigation Task Force and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives investigators were investigating the fire. Phoenix police spokeswoman Sgt. Mercedes Fortune said the incident is being investigated as an arson based on evidence discovered at the scene.

Phoenix police also responded to the fire to assist with security and traffic control of the area, according to Sgt. Mercedes Fortune, spokesperson for Phoenix police.

More information will be released as it becomes available, according to Fortune.

Anyone with pertinent information should call Phoenix police at 602-262-6151, Silent Witness at 480-948-6377 or 480-837-8446 for Spanish.

Felecia Rotellini, chair of the state Democratic Party, learned of the fire early at 2 a.m. after the security system went off and staffers made her aware.

A fire started early Friday morning at the Arizona Democratic Party building in downtown Phoenix. Phoenix firefighters found heavy smoke and fire coming from the structure when they arrived and were able to put out the fire. No one was in the building at the time of the fire and the cause is under investigation.

“At this point, it’s too soon to tell,” she said, referring to the extent of the damage. “The investigators are scheduled to be at the scene at 8 a.m. so we don’t know anything right now, but we’re very fortunate that everyone is safe and in this virtual environment. We can continue to run the party and do everything we need to do for November.

"While this is devastating, our eyes are on the prize in November and this just makes us stronger,” she said.

The fire appeared to have caused extensive damage, particularly on the north side of the building where the Maricopa County Democratic Party works from.

Steven Slugocki, county party chair, said he believes all of their computers, phones, desks, and files were lost in the fire.

“It's a devastating loss for us and I'm truly heartbroken,” Slugocki told The Arizona Republic.

The fire comes as the county Democratic party was set for its summer convention Saturday.

More than 700 Democrats from across Maricopa County were to attend the virtual event, where candidates make their pitch to voters, raise money and talk about the party’s activities heading into November.

It’s unclear how the fire will affect the event, said Slugocki.

Sen. Kamala D. Harris, D-Calif., was to address county Democrats with a pre-recorded message.

While it’s too early to know the cause of the fire, Slugocki said he is thankful no one was hurt.

"Maricopa County Democratic Party is not stopping at this office, we're still going to continue our work," he said. "We're going to find a way to rise above this and continue the work that we are supposed to be doing."

Now, the Arizona Democratic Party is using the fire and its extensive damage as a way to step up fundraising, with just 100 days to go ahead of the November election.

"The damage is a devastating blow to the hard work and dedication of the teams at the state and county parties," the fundraising email said. "However, as with any setback we have encountered, we will adapt, rebuild, and continue moving ever forward for the sake of creating a better Arizona that works for all of us."

The contents of the county office included laptops and tablets and years of documents and historic election memorabilia, according to statement released by the county party on Friday.

"Our organization has worked out of this building for over a decade. It has been home to thousands of volunteers, candidates, supporters and friends. Memories were made, victories were celebrated, and lifelong friendships have been forged," Slugocki said in the statement. "While this poses new challenges in an already critical election, we want to assure you that this will not hinder our efforts to elect Democrats across the county. We will continue to lead and we are ready to win.”

The fire is the second incident with damage to a political building in Arizona in the last two months.

At the end of May, Bullhead City police were investigating damage at a Republican field office in Mohave County, where six people were gathered inside for a "MAGA Meet Up" to support President Donald Trump's reelection.

Police determined that an unknown object went through the office window and blinds but did not believe it was caused by a firearm.
If Democrats lose any really close races in Arizona, we can probably blame it on this act of terrorism.

Also, I'm not sure what the rules about donating from out of state are (I know foreign nationals can't donate- see Russiagate), but if anyone can spare a few dollars for the Arizona Democrats right now, I'm sure it would be much appreciated.

I'm also starting to think we need a Republican tyranny/terrorism megathread.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
B5B7
Jedi Knight

Re: Democratic Party HQ in Arizona destroyed by arson, critical documents and computer systems destroyed.

Post by B5B7 »

OP article wrote:The contents of the county office included laptops and tablets and years of documents and historic election memorabilia, according to statement released by the county party on Friday.
Presumably the memorabilia is things like old posters, etc that are fairly unique but also some that are replaceable.
In regard to "critical documents' one would expect copies of these to be saved offsite, so the losses should be confined to physical items.
Of course, these documents might not be computerized documents but original paper work with signatures on them, but should be photocopies or scanned copies of most of these. Hopefully they had most important paperwork backed up offsite, although of course might have lost some new paperwork.

Nevertheless this is an unfortunate incident with suspicious timing, and may be indicative of broader further action by Trump supporters.
TVWP: "Janeway says archly, "Sometimes it's the female of the species that initiates mating." Is the female of the species trying to initiate mating now? Janeway accepts Paris's apology and tells him she's putting him in for a commendation. The salamander sex was that good."
"Not bad - for a human"-Bishop to Ripley
GALACTIC DOMINATION Empire Board Game visit link below:
GALACTIC DOMINATION
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Re: Democratic Party HQ in Arizona destroyed by arson, critical documents and computer systems destroyed.

Post by madd0ct0r »

B5B7 wrote: 2020-07-24 10:52pm
OP article wrote:The contents of the county office included laptops and tablets and years of documents and historic election memorabilia, according to statement released by the county party on Friday.
Presumably the memorabilia is things like old posters, etc that are fairly unique but also some that are replaceable.
In regard to "critical documents' one would expect copies of these to be saved offsite, so the losses should be confined to physical items.
Of course, these documents might not be computerized documents but original paper work with signatures on them, but should be photocopies or scanned copies of most of these. Hopefully they had most important paperwork backed up offsite, although of course might have lost some new paperwork.

Nevertheless this is an unfortunate incident with suspicious timing, and may be indicative of broader further action by Trump supporters.
Given they are saying it was intentionally set, 'unfortunate' is a little too neutral imo.
Most likely) borderline mentally ill republican supporter as a lone wolf, perhaps with fear this year Texas flips blue. He's a true patriot, scared for his county's future.
Less likely) intended destruction of comprising materials on someone, or destruction of bugs.
Less likely) the off-site electronic backup data is already compromised with the data-sets tweaked up and down by +-13%. After fire, backup data becomes the active one, and throws projections and focus to wrong areas. Electrol college magnifies the effect of these small changes in outcome.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Another likely - Random act of stupidity by someone not-directly related to the US elections.

Some people just want to watch things burn.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Yeah, but its a bit of a coincidence for a party headquarters to burn, right before the state convention, at a time when the President Fuhrer is openly demonizing Democrats as terrorists and deploying secret police to terrorize them. I mean, its possible, sure... but my money is on terrorism until proven otherwise.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

It was done by a former "employee"

https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/ar ... r-11484357

Police arrested an unhinged ex-Democratic state committeeman today on suspicion of the July 24 arson fire that severely damaged the Democratic Party headquarters building in Phoenix.

Matthew Egler, who's 29, is being accused of arson of an occupied structure following an investigation. A video released by police shows a man starting the fire at the building at Central Avenue and Thomas Road, which is shared by the Maricopa County and state Democratic Party. A small car Egler used in the crime was also recorded; it was registered to a family member, making it easy to find him.

Egler was a state committeeman from 2016 to 2019, according to his LinkedIn page, representing "Democratic Party Voters in Several Precincts in Legislative District 22 in Arizona." He'd been "recently banned from continued volunteer service," a police news release states.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

MKSheppard wrote: 2020-07-29 06:42pm It was done by a former "employee"
Technically, Mr. Egler is innocent until proven guilty in a court of law, so asserting that he did it, as a fact, would be arguably libel on your part.

madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

Solauren wrote: 2020-07-25 09:43am Another likely - Random act of stupidity by someone not-directly related to the US elections.

Some people just want to watch things burn.
I stand corrected.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2020-07-29 06:47pm
Technically, Mr. Egler is innocent until proven guilty in a court of law, so asserting that he did it, as a fact, would be arguably libel on your part.
Rich, and pedantic, coming from someone who's posts in this thread was claiming it was terrorism, by the Republicans.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Beowulf wrote: 2020-07-31 01:02am
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2020-07-29 06:47pm
Rich, and pedantic, coming from someone who's posts in this thread was claiming it was terrorism, by the Republicans.
Yeah, I thought someone would try the "but you did it first" card.

Note first that I said "probably" terrorism. And that unlike Shep, I did not accuse a specific individual by name. But I'm sure such factual distinctions are of no concern here.

Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2020-07-31 03:23amNote first that I said "probably" terrorism. And that unlike Shep, I did not accuse a specific individual by name. But I'm sure such factual distinctions are of no concern here.
If a conservative suspect had been arrested, you would have instantly started crowing about the capture of the unquestionably guilty domestic nazi terroriser supremacist. So yes, you are being a pathetic hypocritical whiner, again.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Starglider wrote: 2020-07-31 09:04am
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2020-07-31 03:23amNote first that I said "probably" terrorism. And that unlike Shep, I did not accuse a specific individual by name. But I'm sure such factual distinctions are of no concern here.
If a conservative suspect had been arrested, you would have instantly started crowing about the capture of the unquestionably guilty domestic nazi terroriser supremacist. So yes, you are being a pathetic hypocritical whiner, again.
Its easy to justify hurling abuse at someone and condemning their "hypocrisy" when you put words in their mouth. Here, let's try it:

"If it had turned out to be a conservative, Starglider would have praised their heroic service to the Fourth Reich." See, I can say whatever I want about someone too.

Not that I expect anyone to care. I'm this board's collective hate sink/deflection tactic, so little crypto-Nazi shitweasles like you never have to answer for a fucking thing, as long as you scream "BUT TRR!!!!" at the top of your lungs.

TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2020-07-31 09:24amNot that I expect anyone to care. I'm this board's collective hate sink/deflection tactic, so little crypto-Nazi shitweasles like you never have to answer for a fucking thing, as long as you scream "BUT TRR!!!!" at the top of your lungs.
TRR, I think you need to calm yourself down, and maybe take a break from the politics for a couple of weeks.
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2020-07-24 08:35pmI'm also starting to think we need a Republican tyranny/terrorism megathread.
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2020-07-25 09:40pmI mean, its possible, sure... but my money is on terrorism until proven otherwise.
Can you see where it comes off like hypocrisy? Rule of law when it ends up being a Dem, but until then it's EVIL GOP TERRORISM.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Just to be clear and state what I'd hope would be obvious, if a Republican were arrested ,they'd still be entitled to a fair trial. I still want TRUMP to get a fair trial, if only to reassert the legal norms he tried to destroy, and to make a public example of him rather than a martyr.

PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

Just an update.

https://www.phoenix.gov/newsroom/police/1428

It's a former democratic volunteer employed at the place.

Who's a sovereign citizen.

And is UTTERLY insane, has been removed from working there for reasons not cited, but CLEARLY visible from his Twitter page

Quote]Sweety its me.. I LOVE YOU!! I REALLY FUCKING LOVE YOU! Im glad you got my note at the whitehouse.. and all my letters, thanks for letting me email you! thanks for all you have done for me over these last 4 months.. i know you tried your best... everyone thinks we just didnt[/quote]

https://twitter.com/TSovereigntm/status ... 60864?s=19

You can check his Twitter profile and that retweet of valley leader? Yeah... He's retweeting HIMSELF, pretending to have photographic evidence proof of Ivanka Trump having his baby and insisting Donald Trump acknowledge it.

So.... Clearly a nutcase.
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

Just an update.

https://www.phoenix.gov/newsroom/police/1428

It's a former democratic volunteer employed at the place.

Who's a sovereign citizen.

And is UTTERLY insane, has been removed from working there for reasons not cited, but CLEARLY visible from his Twitter page

Quote]Sweety its me.. I LOVE YOU!! I REALLY FUCKING LOVE YOU! Im glad you got my note at the whitehouse.. and all my letters, thanks for letting me email you! thanks for all you have done for me over these last 4 months.. i know you tried your best... everyone thinks we just didnt[/quote]

https://twitter.com/TSovereigntm/status ... 60864?s=19

You can check his Twitter profile and that retweet of valley leader? Yeah... He's retweeting HIMSELF, pretending to have photographic evidence proof of Ivanka Trump having his baby and insisting Donald Trump acknowledge it.

So.... Clearly a nutcase.
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

So he's a former Democratic volunteer... who's also got an Ivanka obsession and holds a philosophy (sovereign citizen) usually associated with the far Right/Libertarian/militia crowds.

Well, everybody comes out of this looking bad by association, don't they?

Khaat
Jedi Master

Post by Khaat »

Just from the "not all conspiracy theories are too far fetched" corner, one could presume this particular bag of mixed nuts volunteered at this location specifically for this result (or an opportunity like this). After all, he doesn't appear to align with Democratic party themes, wants Trump's recognition and approval.... Looks like yet another "lone wolf" (read "domestic terrorist") inspired by two parts crazy and three parts Trump's America (each made up of one part bluster and two parts crazy... so eight crazy, one bluster?).
Whether he is "guilty" or not I'll leave to courts.
Until his pardon, Presidential Medal of Freedom, and appointment to White House staff position "Guy Who Spanks to Ivanka" (who there doesn't?). :wink:
Someone really ought to print t-shirts with "It's Tree of LIBERTY, not Tree of CRAZY" printed on 'em.*

*Steal this idea. Choose to be rich and advantaged, because it is just a choice after all. :lol:
Rule #1: Believe the autocrat. He means what he says.
Rule #2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule #3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule #4: Be outraged.
Rule #5: Don’t make compromises.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Khaat wrote: 2020-08-04 10:52amJust from the "not all conspiracy theories are too far fetched" corner, one could presume this particular bag of mixed nuts volunteered at this location specifically for this result (or an opportunity like this). After all, he doesn't appear to align with Democratic party themes, wants Trump's recognition and approval.... Looks like yet another "lone wolf" (read "domestic terrorist") inspired by two parts crazy and three parts Trump's America (each made up of one part bluster and two parts crazy... so eight crazy, one bluster?).
It's at least equally likely that he suffered some sort of mental breakdown a few years after he started volunteering there (he's in the right age range for schizophrenia to kick in), or possibly watched a bunch of Alex Jones videos while dropping acid because it seemed like a good idea at the time, but you have a point.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

Khaat wrote: 2020-08-04 10:52am Just from the "not all conspiracy theories are too far fetched" corner, one could presume this particular bag of mixed nuts volunteered at this location specifically for this result (or an opportunity like this). After all, he doesn't appear to align with Democratic party themes, wants Trump's recognition and approval.... Looks like yet another "lone wolf" (read "domestic terrorist") inspired by two parts crazy and three parts Trump's America (each made up of one part bluster and two parts crazy... so eight crazy, one bluster?).
Whether he is "guilty" or not I'll leave to courts.
Until his pardon, Presidential Medal of Freedom, and appointment to White House staff position "Guy Who Spanks to Ivanka" (who there doesn't?). :wink:
Someone really ought to print t-shirts with "It's Tree of LIBERTY, not Tree of CRAZY" printed on 'em.*

*Steal this idea. Choose to be rich and advantaged, because it is just a choice after all. :lol:
He got fired and removed.... Its just simply more likely that he was being treated and on meds initially but stopped.

https://twitter.com/ValleyLeader/status ... 40325?s=19

Here's his uncle saying he needs to be on meds and him rejecting it.

Delusions probably means a schizophrenic diagnosis and the thing is, controlled schizophrenia can function in society and you can literally see some Democratic HR going ok, he may be crazy but give him a chance and let him volunteer.

Hell. I'm also quite sure that as a volunteer, he doesn't even need to give that information at all.