Donald Trump formally notifies United Nations and Congress of US withdrawal from World Health Organization

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Donald Trump formally notifies United Nations and Congress of US withdrawal from World Health Organization

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Link.
The withdrawal notification fulfills President Donald Trump's vow in late May to terminate U.S. participation in the WHO.

Mr Trump has repeatedly criticized the organization over its response to the coronavirus pandemic and has accused it of bowing to Chinese influence.

However, the pullout won't take effect until next year, meaning it could be rescinded under a new administration of if circumstances change.

The withdrawal notice was sent to U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Monday and will take effect in a year, on July 6, 2021, the US State Department and the United Nations said on Tuesday.

Under the terms of the withdrawal, the U.S. must meet its financial obligations to the WHO before it can be finalized.

The US, which is the agency's largest donor and provides it with more than $400 million per year, currently owes the WHO some $200 million in current and past dues.

In late May, less than two weeks after warning the WHO that it had 30 days to reform or lose US support, Mr Trump announced his administration was leaving the organization due to what he said was its inadequate response to the initial outbreak of the coronavirus in China's Wuhan province late last year.

The president said in a White House announcement that Chinese officials "ignored" their reporting obligations to the WHO and pressured the organization to mislead the public about an outbreak that has now killed more than 130,000 Americans.

"We have detailed the reforms that it must make and engaged with them directly, but they have refused to act," Trump said at the time. "Because they have failed to make the requested and greatly needed reforms, we will be today terminating the relationship."

The withdrawal notification was widely denounced as misguided, certain to undermine an important institution that is leading vaccine development efforts and drug trials to address the COVID-19 outbreak.

"The administration's move to formally withdraw from WHO amid the greatest public health crisis that Americans and the world have faced in a century is short-sighted, unnecessary, and unequivocally dangerous," said UN Foundation President Elizabeth Cousens. "WHO is the only body capable of leading and coordinating the global response to COVID-19. Terminating the U.S. relationship would undermine the global effort to beat this virus — putting all of us at risk."
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: Donald Trump formally notifies United Nations and Congress of US withdrawal from World Health Organization

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Disgusting.

I wonder what the terms are for admitting/readmitting a country to the WHO? Because when the US comes crawling back asking for readmittance, I honestly want them to make America beg for it.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Re: Donald Trump formally notifies United Nations and Congress of US withdrawal from World Health Organization

Post by Solauren »

How long until this goes into full effect? Does Congress have to approve it? Does the senate?

Because if so, with any luck, it will get caught up in proceedure until Donald gets Trumped out of office, and Biden can go 'ignore the previous guy, he's a lunatic'
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Gerald Tarrant
Jedi Knight

Post by Gerald Tarrant »

When I heard this on NPR they were saying it would take effect in a year. The interviewer on NPR said there were additionally some questions about the legality, in that congress seemed to have had something to do with the US admittance in '48. And if that were the case unilateral executive action would be unconstitutional.
The rain it falls on all alike
Upon the just and unjust fella'
But more upon the just one for
The Unjust hath the Just's Umbrella
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

So, Trump might want it, but Congress may go 'sorry, you don't have the authority to do that, and we don't want to, so there'?
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Gerald Tarrant
Jedi Knight

Post by Gerald Tarrant »

Again, from what I heard the decision would take effect 1 year from yesterday or so. So that would be post Biden inauguration (fingers crossed), and of course Biden would have no obligation to indulge Donalds whims.

However in the event of a continuing Trump presidency, my understanding is it gets a little murky. Congress probably passed something or other authorizing perpetual funding disbursements for the WHO. Presidents propose a budget and then the House and Senate agree on it after legislative processing. But Presidents can include what they want and also exclude what they want and Congress can modify, and then the President can veto. So there are multiple constitutional means for Trump or Congress to say no to WHO funding. Also Im fairly sure that there have been several supreme court cases saying that Congress has no constitutional obligation to honor past promises they've made in previous bills. So Trump or congress could defund our WHO dues if they chose to. But neither could do it unilaterally, although executive discretion has been growing a lot in the US in recent years.
The rain it falls on all alike
Upon the just and unjust fella'
But more upon the just one for
The Unjust hath the Just's Umbrella
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

In the event of a continuing Trump presidency this will be the least of anyone's problems anyway.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Zaune wrote: 2020-07-09 02:10pm In the event of a continuing Trump presidency this will be the least of anyone's problems anyway.
Yeah, at that point we're basically living in a Marvel timeline where Hydra won and all the superheros are dead. And their won't be a reboot.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2020-07-09 09:49pm
Zaune wrote: 2020-07-09 02:10pm In the event of a continuing Trump presidency this will be the least of anyone's problems anyway.
Yeah, at that point we're basically living in a Marvel timeline where Hydra won and all the superheros are dead. And their won't be a reboot.
Hey, don't insult Hydra by equaling Trump to them.

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

We Have The TRUMP-DUMP threads for a Reason! USE THEM

I've moved two of the "Der Fuerer" threads to Trump-Dump. I will leave this one here, for now.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

LadyTevar wrote: 2020-07-11 10:55am We Have The TRUMP-DUMP threads for a Reason! USE THEM

I've moved two of the "Der Fuerer" threads to Trump-Dump. I will leave this one here, for now.
Is there a particular reason why my threads were moved and this one wasn't?

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2020-07-11 10:11pm
LadyTevar wrote: 2020-07-11 10:55am We Have The TRUMP-DUMP threads for a Reason! USE THEM

Is there a particular reason why my threads were moved and this one wasn't?
Wasn't sure where to move it.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet