Worst Mass Shooting in Canadian History

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Re: Worst Mass Shooting in Canadian History

Post by MKSheppard »

Coop D'etat wrote: 2020-05-01 05:59pmIncreasing the banned weapons list isn't likely to do anything meaningful for public safety and Shep is pretty much correct that this is political theater.
Just look at this in the document:

Missile Launcher BGM-71 TOW
Missile Launcher 9K111 Fagot

They've gone too far. I can't blow up tanks with my recreational heavy triple charge tandem warhead ATGM. :evil:

Is life even worth living without Heavy ATGMs?
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

For more wit:

The list of "assault-style weapons" includes the following.

(z.162) Recoilless Rifle AT4;
(z.163) Recoilless Rifle B-10;
(z.164) Recoilless Rifle FMK1 105MM;
(z.165) Recoilless Rifle Folgore;
(z.166) Recoilless Rifle M136 AT4;
(z.167) Recoilless Rifle M18A1;
(z.168) Recoilless Rifle M40A1;
(z.169) Recoilless Rifle M60;
(z.17) Recoilless Rifle M60A;
(z.171) Recoilless Rifle M65;
(z.172) Recoilless Rifle Pansarskott M68 Miniman;
(z.173) Recoilless Rifle RGW 60;
(z.174) Recoilless Rifle RGW 90;
(z.175) Recoilless Rifle SPG-9;
(z.176) Recoilless Rifle Type 36 M18A1 Recoilless Rifle Copy;
(z.177) Recoilless Rifle Type 65;
(z.178) Recoilless Rifle Type 78;

and

(z.182) Rocket Launcher P27;
(z.183) Rocket Launcher RPG-27 Tavolga;
(z.184) Rocket Launcher ALAC;
(z.185) Rocket Launcher MARA;
(z.186) Rocket Launcher Shipon;
(z.187) Rocket Launcher RPG-22 Netto;
(z.188) Rocket Launcher MARK 153 SMAW;
(z.189) Rocket Launcher B-300;
(z.19) Rocket Launcher RPG-26 Aglen;
(z.191) Rocket Launcher RPG-76;
(z.192) Rocket Launcher RPG-7;
(z.193) Rocket Launcher M1;
(z.194) Rocket Launcher M1A1;
(z.195) Rocket Launcher M9;
(z.196) Rocket Launcher RPG-75;
(z.197) Rocket Launcher LRAC89-F1;
(z.198) Rocket Launcher RPG-16 Udar;
(z.199) Rocket Launcher RPG-7B;
(z.2) Rocket Launcher RL100 Blindicide;
(z.201) Rocket Launcher M141 SMAW-D;
(z.202) Rocket Launcher MARK 777 RPG;
(z.203) Rocket Launcher ATGL RPG;
(z.204) Rocket Launcher Type 69 RPG;
(z.205) Rocket Launcher Type 56 RPG;
(z.206) Rocket Launcher RPG-2;
(z.207) Rocket Launcher Cobra RPG;
(z.208) Rocket Launcher Panzerfaust 3;
(z.209) Rocket Launcher APILAS;
(z.21) Rocket Launcher Wasp;
(z.211) Rocket Launcher Bunkerfaust;
(z.212) Rocket Launcher Type 2004 RPG;
(z.213) Rocket Launcher PF98;
(z.214) Rocket Launcher RPG-28 Klyukva;
(z.215) Rocket Launcher RPG-29 Vampir;
(z.216) Rocket Launcher FT5;
(z.217) Rocket Launcher C90;
(z.218) Rocket Launcher M20B1;

Does anyone actually have a live SMAW-D or a RPG-16 in Canada?
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Does Canada have any PMCs?

Although in reality the most likely explanation is they're just adding AR-15s etc to a preexisting list of weapons that can only be imported by defence contractors and government agencies.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

There is a store in the south end of town with several (non-functional) weapons that are probably now banned.
Last time I checked the stores website, they had a pair of Browning 50 cals there, and rumor has it they had other weapons as well.
Someone I knew in high school CLAIMED they had a Mini-gun (the store), but I doubt it. Making that claim while T2 was in theaters is questionable.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2020-05-01 07:28am
Beowulf wrote: 2020-05-01 12:33amI'm really sick of this argument with gun control:

"Oh, the regulations we have didn't stop this, so obviously we need to make them more strict! Nevermind that the way we're making them more strict won't actually affect how this happened." The pro-rights side sees that the pro-control side never lets a tragedy go to waste.
1. Nobody is saying "more regulation is always the answer"- that's a strawman. However, if there are specific vulnerabilities that more regulation can close, then yes, more regulation will help reduce gun violence.
What specific vulnerabilities are being closed by banning TOW missile launchers? What rational relationship does this have to this tragedy? What's the costs of this regulation? Can we spend the money used for enforcement in a more useful manner?

AFAICT, the only thinking used was: this will be inconvenient for gun owners, so fuck them while we have a tragedy.
2. Spare me your copy-paste Reich-wing whinging about the Left exploiting tragedies. Maybe you think we'd be better off offering some thoughts and prayers? We wouldn't want to disrespect shooting victims by trying to prevent their being more of them.
Blah blah name calling, you fucking bloody shirt waver.
3. There is no "right" to bear arms in Canada the way there is in the US. For which I am deeply thankful. There are property rights, of course, but the government can and should strictly regulate products which are particularly dangerous or require particular skill to use, the same way we would cars, or drugs, or industrial chemicals no radioactive material.
I'm so glad that you don't see any need to protect your right to life. That cops are always right there when you need them and can be trusted to do the right thing.
4. You never actually addressed my point, which is that the impossibility of totally preventing crime is not, in itself, an argument against the presence of laws.
Because your point was missing the point. These regulations have nothing to do with the actual tragedy, but are just a power grab while disrepecting the shooting victims by using them as a prop for pushing forward authoritarianism.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Pushback
Alberta is considering appointing its own chief firearms officer to replace Ottawa’s appointee after Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced a ban on 1,500 military-style assault weapons Friday.

The federal government order, which goes into effect immediately, does not outlaw owning the guns, but it has halted their use and sale. In some cases, they can be used for hunting. Following deadly mass shootings in Canada, including the recent killings in Nova Scotia, Trudeau said “Canadians deserve more than thoughts and prayers.”

Owners of legally purchased firearms that fall under the ban will be compensated in a buyback program that will require a bill to be passed in Parliament.

Premier Jason Kenney, in a joint statement with Justice Minister Doug Schweitzer Friday, said while the Alberta government is concerned about crime and the illegal use of firearms, Ottawa’s order does little to target criminals or the “overwhelming majority” of firearms that are smuggled in from the United States.

“Instead, Ottawa is singling out law-abiding Canadians who purchased their property legally, have owned these items safely for years, and who have committed no crimes,” he said.

Schweitzer said that violent criminals who use guns are often released with “surprisingly soft” sentences.

“Rather than focus on law-abiding Canadians, we’d call on Parliament to bring back tough, mandatory sentences for the criminals who flagrantly endanger Canadians with their use of illegal guns,” he said.

Alberta will scrutinize Ottawa’s move and explore potential responses, Schweitzer said.

In November 2019, the UCP government passed a motion supporting the ability of Albertans to lawfully own firearms for legal activities such as hunting and sport shooting.

MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

More to the point, nine of the victims burned to death in fires set by the perp, so..

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Beowulf wrote: 2020-05-02 01:04am
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2020-05-01 07:28am
Beowulf wrote: 2020-05-01 12:33amI'm really sick of this argument with gun control:

"Oh, the regulations we have didn't stop this, so obviously we need to make them more strict! Nevermind that the way we're making them more strict won't actually affect how this happened." The pro-rights side sees that the pro-control side never lets a tragedy go to waste.
1. Nobody is saying "more regulation is always the answer"- that's a strawman. However, if there are specific vulnerabilities that more regulation can close, then yes, more regulation will help reduce gun violence.
What specific vulnerabilities are being closed by banning TOW missile launchers? What rational relationship does this have to this tragedy? What's the costs of this regulation? Can we spend the money used for enforcement in a more useful manner?

AFAICT, the only thinking used was: this will be inconvenient for gun owners, so fuck them while we have a tragedy.
2. Spare me your copy-paste Reich-wing whinging about the Left exploiting tragedies. Maybe you think we'd be better off offering some thoughts and prayers? We wouldn't want to disrespect shooting victims by trying to prevent their being more of them.
Blah blah name calling, you fucking bloody shirt waver.
3. There is no "right" to bear arms in Canada the way there is in the US. For which I am deeply thankful. There are property rights, of course, but the government can and should strictly regulate products which are particularly dangerous or require particular skill to use, the same way we would cars, or drugs, or industrial chemicals no radioactive material.
I'm so glad that you don't see any need to protect your right to life. That cops are always right there when you need them and can be trusted to do the right thing.
4. You never actually addressed my point, which is that the impossibility of totally preventing crime is not, in itself, an argument against the presence of laws.
Because your point was missing the point. These regulations have nothing to do with the actual tragedy, but are just a power grab while disrepecting the shooting victims by using them as a prop for pushing forward authoritarianism.
Ah, I get it: you're another paranoid delusional lolbertarian who thinks any regulation of guns is part of a vast Left-wing conspiracy that will inevitably end with a total ban on all guns and dictatorship.

Ah, yes, we're the ones exploiting victims. Whereas you are no doubt acting with the purest and most selfless of intentions when you call me a "bloody shirt waver" and imply that respecting victims means taking no action on guns ever.

Yeah, guess you would rather we just stuck to thoughts and prayers. :finger: 'Cause your guns matter more than human life.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Nicholas
Youngling

Post by Nicholas »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2020-05-02 11:22am Yeah, guess you would rather we just stuck to thoughts and prayers. :finger: 'Cause your guns matter more than human life.
But you have not even attempted to show that these regulations would save one human life. Until you defend that claim the argument continues to fail.

Nicholas
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Oh, the best part, TRR?

Fidel Castro, Jr said:
Starting today, licensed gun owners will no longer be allowed to sell, transport, import or use these sort of weapons in this country.
Basically, you can't even take them to the range anymore!

but in the regulations:
Modern treaty obligations and Indigenous engagement and consultation

The Amnesty Order permits the use of any of the newly prohibited firearms, if previously non-restricted, to hunt for the purposes of sustenance or to exercise a right recognized and affirmed by section 35 of the Constitution. From fall 2018 to spring 2019, the Government held extensive engagement with Indigenous groups, provinces and territories, municipalities, law enforcement agencies, academics, victim groups and other key stakeholders on limiting access to assault-style firearms and handguns.

Recognizing that some Indigenous and sustenance hunters could be using previously non-restricted firearms for their hunting and may be unable to replace these firearms immediately, the Amnesty Order includes provisions for the limited use of these firearms for such purposes. Following the publication of the Regulations, the Government will continue to engage with Indigenous groups to assess whether the prohibition of these firearms has a continued impact on the right to hunt affirmed by section 35 of the Constitution.
So basically, indigs can continue to hunt with Mini-14s because of reasons, but everyone else in Canada can't do shit about their Mini-14's as "they're weapons of war, and overkill for hunting"

This doublespeak/think will not go unnoticed.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

MKSheppard wrote: 2020-05-03 06:46am Oh, the best part, TRR?

Fidel Castro, Jr said:
Take your McCarthyism and shove it up your ass, Mussolini Jr.
Starting today, licensed gun owners will no longer be allowed to sell, transport, import or use these sort of weapons in this country.
Basically, you can't even take them to the range anymore!
but in the regulations:
Modern treaty obligations and Indigenous engagement and consultation

The Amnesty Order permits the use of any of the newly prohibited firearms, if previously non-restricted, to hunt for the purposes of sustenance or to exercise a right recognized and affirmed by section 35 of the Constitution. From fall 2018 to spring 2019, the Government held extensive engagement with Indigenous groups, provinces and territories, municipalities, law enforcement agencies, academics, victim groups and other key stakeholders on limiting access to assault-style firearms and handguns.

Recognizing that some Indigenous and sustenance hunters could be using previously non-restricted firearms for their hunting and may be unable to replace these firearms immediately, the Amnesty Order includes provisions for the limited use of these firearms for such purposes. Following the publication of the Regulations, the Government will continue to engage with Indigenous groups to assess whether the prohibition of these firearms has a continued impact on the right to hunt affirmed by section 35 of the Constitution.
So basically, indigs can continue to hunt with Mini-14s because of reasons, but everyone else in Canada can't do shit about their Mini-14's as "they're weapons of war, and overkill for hunting"

This doublespeak/think will not go unnoticed.
Doubling down on scapegoating Natives, and whinging about double-standards. Yes, truly, gun owners are the REAL victims, not the people who have been subjected to systematic theft, rape and genocide for centuries.

Anyway, you aren't even Canadian. This has literally zero effect on you, or your precious Second Amendment which is also not in Canada.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2020-05-03 08:45pmTake your McCarthyism and shove it up your ass, Mussolini Jr.
It's a fact jack, that Trudeau Jr. looks like the spitting resemblance of Comrade Fidel.
Doubling down on scapegoating Natives, and whinging about double-standards.
I'm pointing out that this hypocrisy will not go unnoticed. If these weapons are SO DANGEROUS that they must be immediately made illegal to do anything but take out of the safe and wank to, why do the Indigs get exceptions to continue to subsistence hunt with them?

It raises the point of:

A.) Maybe they're not so dangerous that they need to be banned instantly if indigs can keep using them.

B.) Maybe they actually have legit hunting purposes if the whole rationale for indigs keeping them is for subsistence hunting "until they can be replaced".
Anyway, you aren't even Canadian. This has literally zero effect on you, or your precious Second Amendment which is also not in Canada.
Do you have a reading problem?

Let me quote myself from a page ago:

So I'd be worried about this in relation to the US for a few reasons:

A.) Bandwagoning. First New Zealand and now Canada. WHY CANT WE DO IT HERE?

It causes libruls to start agitating for "something" to be done, so as not to appear "nonproductive" in relation to their fellow progressives in other countries.

B.) Canada has provided a long list of firearms which can be cut and pasted into any future US bans as "receiver bans".

It may seem like pointless legalese padding to enumerate weapons by name, but doing this is a "receiver ban" and prevents you from removing an evil feature and making it legal.

Maryland has this -- the State Police seem to think that ALL Bushmaster rifles should be banned, due to them confusing the old 1980s "Bushmaster Assault Rifle" with modern Bushmaster AR-15 rifles.

So basically by saying "Aero Precision M4" it means that no matter what you do; installing a thumbhole stock, or a heavy barrel, or a bolt action upper -- it's not good enough because the rifle says "Aero Precision" and "M4" on the side -- and is thus banned.

Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

MKSheppard wrote: 2020-05-03 10:36pmI'm pointing out that this hypocrisy will not go unnoticed. If these weapons are SO DANGEROUS that they must be immediately made illegal to do anything but take out of the safe and wank to, why do the Indigs get exceptions to continue to subsistence hunt with them?

It raises the point of:

A.) Maybe they're not so dangerous that they need to be banned instantly if indigs can keep using them.

B.) Maybe they actually have legit hunting purposes if the whole rationale for indigs keeping them is for subsistence hunting "until they can be replaced".
You're ignoring that there may not be a legal framework by which the federal government can restrict weapons on indigenous land. Can you please provide a quote from either the treaties themselves or some bit of Canadian law that does affect these groups through the treaties which would allow the government to impose such a law on First Nation's governments?
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Can we get a ruling on whether calling First Nations people "indigs" is a racial slur? I'm not familiar with the term, but it (or at least Shep's use of it) sure feels slur-y.

As to the rest of Shep's post, it appears to be mostly just restating what he said before, plus some insults and the usual slippery slope bullshit gun wankers love, wherein any restriction whatsoever inevitably leads to a total ban on all guns and tyranny. Except he actually has the audacity to apply that fallacy not only in the US but across national borders, and claim that an act taken by the Canadian government, on Canadian soil, under Canadian law is an attack on his rights as an American.

What next, calling for war against Canada for violating Americans' rights by enforcing our own laws?

Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2020-05-03 11:14pm
As to the rest of Shep's post, it appears to be mostly just restating what he said before, plus some insults and the usual slippery slope bullshit gun wankers love, wherein any restriction whatsoever inevitably leads to a total ban on all guns and tyranny.
And the very valid point that allowing certain Canadians to continue using these supposedly unacceptably lethal weapons that are far beyond what anyone needs for hunting...because they need them for hunting...does undermine the justification given.
Except he actually has the audacity to apply that fallacy not only in the US but across national borders, and claim that an act taken by the Canadian government, on Canadian soil, under Canadian law is an attack on his rights as an American.

What next, calling for war against Canada for violating Americans' rights by enforcing our own laws?
Haven't seen him declare it an attack on his rights. He said pretty clearly that it concerns him because it could give rhetorical ammunition to anti-gun people in the US. Seems like a fairly cogent point to me. Could you specify where he claims that this is an attack on his rights as an American? Because that sounds like a step beyond hyperbole.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Ralin wrote: 2020-05-04 01:27amAnd the very valid point that allowing certain Canadians to continue using these supposedly unacceptably lethal weapons that are far beyond what anyone needs for hunting...because they need them for hunting...does undermine the justification given.
First Nations have certain rights that are protected by treated. I'm not sure to what extent that applies here, but it may be that the Feds legally can't take those guns from First Nations communities.
Haven't seen him declare it an attack on his rights. He said pretty clearly that it concerns him because it could give rhetorical ammunition to anti-gun people in the US. Seems like a fairly cogent point to me. Could you specify where he claims that this is an attack on his rights as an American? Because that sounds like a step beyond hyperbole.
He may not have used those exact words, but he did clearly portray the passage of these laws in Canada as a threat to the Second Amendment in America, due to some slippery slope "other countries will jump on the bandwagon and cite Canada's example" argument, as you just acknowledged.

In short, its a difference of semantics, which you will doubtless cling to desperately so you can scream "TRR LIAR/HYSTERIA" and derail the thread, as per usual.

Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2020-05-04 02:15am
He may not have used those exact words, but he did clearly portray the passage of these laws in Canada as a threat to the Second Amendment in America, due to some slippery slope "other countries will jump on the bandwagon and cite Canada's example" argument, as you just acknowledged.

In short, its a difference of semantics, which you will doubtless cling to desperately so you can scream "TRR LIAR/HYSTERIA" and derail the thread, as per usual.
What you're dismissing as 'semantics' is a very plausible scenario. Anti-gun ownership people in the US routinely cite the examples of countries like Australia as proof that banning most gun ownership is both feasible and beneficial.
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2020-05-04 02:15am
First Nations have certain rights that are protected by treated. I'm not sure to what extent that applies here, but it may be that the Feds legally can't take those guns from First Nations communities.
'Certain rights' which apparently trump other Canadians' rights to not be brutally gunned down on a whim. Which is supposedly a very real and significant threat this gun ban is intended to prevent. Or alternately private citizens owning and using these guns isn't actually the threat to public safety it's being made out to be.

So...which is it?
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Ralin wrote: 2020-05-04 02:25amWhat you're dismissing as 'semantics' is a very plausible scenario. Anti-gun ownership people in the US routinely cite the examples of countries like Australia as proof that banning most gun ownership is both feasible and beneficial.
So... you're saying that Canada's laws are a threat to the rights of Americans? Ie exactly the argument that I accused you Shep of making?
'Certain rights' which apparently trump other Canadians' rights to not be brutally gunned down on a whim. Which is supposedly a very real and significant threat this gun ban is intended to prevent. Or alternately private citizens owning and using these guns isn't actually the threat to public safety it's being made out to be.

So...which is it?
Again, the question here is whether those rights are protected by treaty. If they are, then it doesn't matter whether I or the government think that they need the guns or the guns are a threat. This isn't a contradiction, hypocrisy, or dishonesty in the government's/my position which you and Shep have cleverly exposed. Its simply a case of something we cannot restrict, regardless of our feelings on the matter.

Also, don't think I don't see what you're doing: you are trying to force me into a trap where I either must disavow my support of gun control, or disavow my support of indigenous rights. At which point you will no doubt do an about face and call me a racist. You think I haven't seen how you operate? You first accuse me of hypocrisy, try to force me into false dilemmas and catch-22s, then attack me whichever side I take.

You're quite possibly the slimiest little fuck on this board, and that's saying something.

Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2020-05-04 02:46am So... you're saying that Canada's laws are a threat to the rights of Americans? Ie exactly the argument that I accused you Shep of making?
I think that's a melodramatic way of putting it, but yeah in a sense. In the same way that American gun laws are a threat to the safety of Canadians.
Again, the question here is whether those rights are protected by treaty. If they are, then it doesn't matter whether I or the government think that they need the guns or the guns are a threat. This isn't a contradiction, hypocrisy, or dishonesty in the government's/my position which you and Shep have cleverly exposed. Its simply a case of something we cannot restrict, regardless of our feelings on the matter.

Also, don't think I don't see what you're doing: you are trying to force me into a trap where I either must disavow my support of gun control, or disavow my support of indigenous rights. At which point you will no doubt do an about face and call me a racist. You think I haven't seen how you operate? You first accuse me of hypocrisy, try to force me into false dilemmas and catch-22s, then attack me whichever side I take.

You're quite possibly the slimiest little fuck on this board, and that's saying something.
So, which is it? No these weapons do not pose enough of a threat to Canadian public safety to override these treaties and implement the gun ban universally?
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

1. You just conceded the point you accused me of being "beyond hyperbole" for making.

2. Guns can pose a legitimate threat without being enough of a threat to be worth overriding the treaties. I'm not going to take your bait and disavow indigenous rights, or disavow gun control.

I've noticed that gun advocates tend toward a very absolutist view. Any regulation=conspiracy to confiscate all guns and create a dictatorship. A given regulation not ending all gun violence is proof that any regulation at all is pointless or is based on disingenuous reasoning. And now, apparently, supporting any regulation means I must support ALL, regardless of circumstances, or you will accuse me of a contradiction. Its such simple-minded bullshit.

Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2020-05-03 11:14pm Can we get a ruling on whether calling First Nations people "indigs" is a racial slur? I'm not familiar with the term, but it (or at least Shep's use of it) sure feels slur-y.
The term doesn't seem to be very widespread, but from a quick Google search it seems like it is almost exclusively used in a pejorative context (and seems to be pretty popular on the far right - and I got a couple of Stormfront hits on the term, too). I agree that we should get a mod ruling here. It's definitely problematic.
Ralin wrote: 2020-05-04 02:57am So, which is it? No these weapons do not pose enough of a threat to Canadian public safety to override these treaties and implement the gun ban universally?
Dude, stop being a twat. There is no contradiction here. First Nations are SOVEREIGN. It is literally equivalent for you to say, "Well, TRR, you're not advocating that Canada overturn America's Second Amendment and ban all guns in the United States, SO WHICH IS IT?!?!!?" If we were talking about a supranational treaty organization, you might have a point. If you could actually find some stipulation in the existing treaties that does explicitly allow Canada to extend such regulations over the First Nations, you might also have a point. Unless you attempt to do so, you are literally just shouting gibberish. Canada can't pass laws in a sovereign nation without existing provisions for doing so, whether it be the First Nations, the US, or freaking Azerbaijan.

Your point is not only idiotic, but it's also to be frank incredibly problematic, given the long history of North American governments overriding treaties with indigenous nations. So go fuck yourself.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Ralin wrote: 2020-05-04 02:57amSo, which is it? No these weapons do not pose enough of a threat to Canadian public safety to override these treaties and implement the gun ban universally?
Is there any Canadian law that would allow a treaty to be unilaterally changed without the consent of one of the signatory groups? Also, if the Canadian government can override the treaty for this, what's stopping them from rolling back the entire treaty system and stripping groups of their last remaining rights?
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Some rumors from reddit /r/canadaguns:

LINKY
This is what's coming next

I work for the LPC, and I'm also a gun owner who is not only affected by the recent ban, but is disgusted by it. I do not want to give more details to what extent I work for the party other than to say there are quite a few of us, and we were the ones responsible for leaking the list of firearms to the media before the official announcement. We've been keeping our ear to the ground since, and this is what we've heard from the public safety office on recommendations for future legislation;

The next tag line the party will push is women and domestic violence, as well as suicide. The point the government will be pushing is that women are victim of gun violence at home, and suicide by gun are happening because the gun is readily accessible at home.

They know that a ban on hunting rifles and shotguns will have very bad optics, but they feel they will be able to get away with central storage. The argument will be made that if the gun isn't readily available, it can save the lives of women and those who might re-think their suicide if they don't have their firearm handy, while not infringing on the rights of hunters by banning their firearms.

The idea is that the government will be offering subsidies to gun businesses (either ranges or commercial stores) to adapt their establishments to allow for on site storage. I don't have any further details on what form the subsidies would be in.

This is getting out of hand. Internal polling has shown huge support for the recent ban, so they feel they can get away with their next phase of legislation.

I have no idea when this will be put forward, but I haven't heard it will be done by order in council. They look like they're going to allow democracy to play out this time, but word is that 2 parties currently support such a move, and will be able to provide enough seats. I'll let you guess which parties those are.

I've also heard some rumblings about modifying the requirements for a PAL or RPAL. They will want you to prove that you are either a hunter or a sport shooter. The hunting license in most provinces does not expire, so the talk has been about proving you're holding firearms for hunting by showing yearly proof in the form of hunting tags. For sport shooters, they want to require membership to a range. These were just ideas thrown around by a few people. There is no talk of putting any such requirements in future legislation.

I'll post more as more information becomes available.

Good luck all.

aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

I suspect a bunch of guns will soon be lost in convenient boating incidents.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

It's worth noting that Trudeau's statement is that the First Nations will be temporarily permitted to retain now-banned firearms until replacements can be reasonably procured, so apparently the government doesn't think it can't impose this on the natives, but rather temporary retention is a way to not infringe on their hunting rights until such time as the weapons can be replaced.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician