Military Coup in Turkey underway.

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Military Coup in Turkey underway.

Post by Dartzap »

Just caught a Breaking News thingy, Turkish Pm saying the military has seized bridges over the Bosphorus, and reports of jets circling.

Thought Erdogen had purged the secular generals ages ago?
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Breaking news - possible coup in process in Turkey

Post by Borgholio »

Multiple news outlets including CNN and USA Today are reporting that the Turkish Prime Minister announced that a military coup is currently in progress. No details yet.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Re: Breaking news - possible coup in process in Turkey

Post by Mr Bean »

Bridges are closed police have all been called into work
There's military in the streets of the capital and things are tense, no reports of active fighting and the PM appears to be in charge still.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

It won't be the PM they are after, me thinks.

Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Confirmed - it's a military uprising.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/15/asia/turk ... l?adkey=bn
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

The Guardian has a liveblog Graun

Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Re: Military Coup in Turkey underway.

Post by Ace Pace »

Probably hasn't finished the job, but about damn time they did it. After Erdogan finished destroying the judicial system, the press and half the basic laws.
Brotherhood of the Bear | HAB | Mess | SDnet archivist |
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

It isn't a real coup if they don't assault the government buildings in downtown Ankara, so far this has not been reported. So far also no sign of the rebel units being of large enough sizes to make a credible fight of it.

It appears the plan may be to seize key transport links and use control of them as a bargaining chip or simply to make a point. I can think of several ones someone might be willing to die over at this point.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
scythewielder
Youngling

Post by scythewielder »

I am not a fan of what Erdogan is doing in Turkey, but I am even less of a fan of military rule.

This kind of thing always strikes me as a double-edged sword, regardless of who ends up winning.

If the coup succeeds, repression will follow. If it doesn't, then the same will happen except in the opposite direction.
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Someone is declaring a coup to the newspapers...by email. Still no sign they have the troops to actually pull one off.

The 'tanks' reported are light infantry fighting vehicles too, if this comes to a fight even a small portion of the Turkish military remaining loyal to the government will wipe what has been seen so far out in 30 minutes. This is probably an action by a small force, hoping the bold action will bring out everyone in favor. Which is the plan of most coups, and most coups fail horribly.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

Sea Skimmer wrote:Someone is declaring a coup to the newspapers...by email. Still no sign they have the troops to actually pull one off.

The 'tanks' reported are light infantry fighting vehicles too, if this comes to a fight even a small portion of the Turkish military remaining loyal to the government will wipe what has been seen so far out in 30 minutes. This is probably an action by a small force, hoping the bold action will bring out everyone in favor. Which is the plan of most coups, and most coups fail horribly.
Turkish military coups have a better history of success. Military coups are somehow actually a "feature" of their form of government.

It's crazy, but it's worked out surprisingly well for them in the past. :wtf:
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

scythewielder wrote:I am not a fan of what Erdogan is doing in Turkey, but I am even less of a fan of military rule.

This kind of thing always strikes me as a double-edged sword, regardless of who ends up winning.

If the coup succeeds, repression will follow. If it doesn't, then the same will happen except in the opposite direction.
Turkey is kind of a weird duck in this respect. Their military likes to coup periodically, mostly when the Turkish government starts eroding democracy (that the military has historically had to actively keep in place) or secular government too much. There is *some* repression when they succeed, but it is usually of the cleaning house sort. In the 1980 coup, for example, the rounded up and tried those people complicit in US/Soviet proxy-fighting, if I remember correctly.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

Sea Skimmer wrote:Someone is declaring a coup to the newspapers...by email. Still no sign they have the troops to actually pull one off.

The 'tanks' reported are light infantry fighting vehicles too

The pattons are out to play....
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

That's something more then the night photos certainly, but still no indication of great numbers. The prior Turkish coups though involved tens of thousands of troops, and in a framework in which no government loyalist faction was allowed to exist in the military. The military was loyal to the military. Since about 2000 most of the previous legal power the army had to act was stripped out and the high command and upper ranks of the officer corps were churned apart by Erdogan. That may well be the number one reason for this coup, only prompted by other events, but it also means its very likely that Erdogan can call on loyalist forces of some scale. And his person has not been captured by the coup plotters, apparently they do have the military chief of staff.
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

If anyone wants a comprehensive analysis of past Turkish military coups, here's a good one from 1991:

http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a236024.pdf
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

Threads Merged
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Well okay, they actually moved to the important stuff after a delay, the state TV building has been seized and troops at least reached but may not have yet taken the presidential palace.
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

If Erodogan has to rely on skype to get his messages across, then it does indicate he does not have a strong control over the situation.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

Seems to be conflicting reports of Erdogen fleeing in a plane, or in a bunker calling on people to rise up.

Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

Apparently he tried to claim asylum in Germany. Our survey says....nein!

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

If he's seeking asylum and/or calling for popular uprisings, wouldn't that tend to indicate he doesn't have a substantial force of reliable troops at his disposal? It's not proof, but it's supporting evidence.
Sea Skimmer wrote:It appears the plan may be to seize key transport links and use control of them as a bargaining chip or simply to make a point. I can think of several ones someone might be willing to die over at this point.
Care to name a few? I'm curious and know little of Turkish politics.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
TithonusSyndrome
Sith Devotee

Post by TithonusSyndrome »

Apparently army helicopters have been witnessed firing on the offices of the MIT, Turkey's intelligence agency.
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Twitter has pictures of military helicopters firing in downtown Ankara.

https://twitter.com/snobers/status/754060133794246656

I know this isn't something we should technically be rejoicing over ... but this is long overdue. But I worry that Turkey is now almost permanently fragmented by Erdogan for it to unite for a while. Whether we like it or not the man was fairly elected.
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Claims from Turkish sources on air that head of Turkish military has been killed and that the heads of the Turkish Air Force and Land Forces are behind the coup.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
TithonusSyndrome
Sith Devotee

Post by TithonusSyndrome »

1st Army commanding officer rejects the coup. May be why the tanks are withdrawing from Ataturk Airport.