Royal Family considers Brexit intervention

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Royal Family considers Brexit intervention

Post by Thanas »

Guardian
Exclusive: royal family considering dramatic Brexit intervention

Royals are believed to be willing to risk a potential constitutional crisis to express their anger over the leave campaign

The royal family is seriously considering making a dramatic intervention in the referendum debate with an announcement that it supports Britain remaining inside the European Union.

That the royals are prepared to risk provoking a potential constitutional crisis shows just how deep their anger is at parts of the British press and senior politicians.

According to a senior source close to official figures, there was particular resentment at the Sun’s depiction of the Queen as a Brexit supporter.

But the anger runs through the generations at Buckingham Palace: there was fury at the claims about “workshy” Prince William, a campaign mounted by two papers with an anti-EU stance, the Daily Mail and the Sun. And there was a feeling last week that rock bottom had been hit with a story in the Mail that Kate was now posher than the other royals.

Using outside experts who advised that the intervention would need to be presented by a figure with impeccable European credentials, a strong affinity with the continent and the character to speak out, the family has decided that the move should fronted by Prince Philip.

“He has been hugely impressed by the way the EU stepped in, not just once but several times, to save Greece,” said one official with knowledge of events. “He admires what Tsipras and Varoufakis achieved – in fact he told friends he sees something of his younger self in the charismatic, motorbike-riding, eye-for-the-ladies Varoufakis. Mind you,” added the source, “he also thinks the Greeks would never have got into this mess if the colonels had still been in power.”

Another well-connected source explained that the royals now see a tightening conspiracy between the pro-exit papers, notably the Sun, Telegraph and Mail, and certain politicians. “The leader of Vote Leave is Michael Gove – that awful little leaker who put it about that the Queen wanted out. They can’t stand him. And as for Boris, the other main outer – he’s a cycling maniac from Islington. All he has done for the royal family is make it difficult to get around London in a decent-sized Daimler. And the third of the trio – Farage – what another awful little man.”

Part of the reason for stepping into the debate in such an unprecedented way is huge disappointment in the prime minister, David Cameron.

“The feeling is that we can’t leave it to him. Look what happened at the last referendum we had, on Scotland. We nearly lost Balmoral and the shoots. Nicola Sturgeon could be sat in that castle now – we know she had her eye on it – it was a damn close-run thing.”

Royal circles found particularly offensive Cameron’s portrayal of the Queen as having “purred down the line” when he telephoned her to tell her Scotland had voted against independence. “The cheek of the man. There was real fury about that comment. And the irony of it – coming from a fat cat,” said a source.

Remaining questions of strategy are being resolved by an inner circle at the palace. On timing, the date picked for Philip to make a nationwide address is 10 June, crucially just two weeks before the referendum on 23 June. Courtiers have noted the added poignancy of 10 June – it is Philip’s 95th birthday.

On which platform to use, the source said: “We want to avoid that ‘bloody little man’, as Charles called BBC royal reporter Nicholas Witchell.”

Kensington Palace sources say the choice is a tight one between ITV’s news anchor Tom Bradby, who is preferred by Prince William, and Prince Harry’s strong favourites Ant and Dec. Harry argues that the Saturday Night Takeaway presenters would reach a different demographic and be particularly appealing to “people in the north with accents”.

“William says that chap at ITV, Bradby, sees things like us. And there is a strong feeling that we should do over the Bleating Broadcasting Corporation. Serve them right for cocking up the Queen’s water pageant with those disc jockeys instead of using a Dimbleby.”

Another insider said early proposals to do a live broadcast have been rejected in favour of a pre-recorded session because of Philip’s propensity for swearing. “The words have to be perfect,” she said, “but we’ve got time to iron things out between today – 1 April – and June.”
Muahahahaha.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Re: Royal Family considers Brexit intervention

Post by Elheru Aran »

How is it exactly a Constitutional crisis for the royal family to say "hey guys we think the nation should stay in the EU"? It's not like they're issuing an actual proclamation from the throne or some such, are they? Or are there nuances of the English law that come into play here like "the royal family cannot attempt to influence public opinion" or whatever?

EDIT: Or is this a parody article? I'm not quite sure...
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

If a newspaper can depict the royals as supporting one side, why can't the roayls call them out and say "Uh uh."
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

It's a parody, but the Sovereign is supposed to be completely impartial and IIRC the rest of the Royal Family follows suit.

I'll give it credit, it was quite a convincing article until about the midway point.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

See, I can get Elheru Aran not getting that it's an April Fools article, but Australians like mr friendly guy really should have got it. :P
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Parody or not, I'm sincerely torn between my dislike of royalty and my dislike of the fucking Brexit (the crown jewel, so to speak, of Pigfucker Cameron's regime of bankrupt, incompetent leadership).

I was going to say bad form for publishing an April Fool's article on March 31st., but then I realized it must already be the first in Britain. Tricky Brits, fooling us Americans/Canadians in our different time zones. :D
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Elheru Aran wrote:EDIT: Or is this a parody article? I'm not quite sure...
There is a reason why I bolded a few parts of the last line....
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

Dominus Atheos wrote:See, I can get Elheru Aran not getting that it's an April Fools article, but Australians like mr friendly guy really should have got it. :P
I must admit I stopped reading it partway.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

Thanas wrote:
Elheru Aran wrote:EDIT: Or is this a parody article? I'm not quite sure...
There is a reason why I bolded a few parts of the last line....
Depending on what board layout one uses, bolding can be hard to detect.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

I believe the monarch actually does have some kind of veto or intervention power that was never formally removed, but which hasn't been used since Victoria* decided not to exercise it. If I'm not wrong...

On one level it would be 'legal' or 'constitutional' for them to say 'no' to an act of Parliament on that basis, but on another level this is a holdover from the days of King George the Somethingth and very few modern Britons actually want the monarchs exercising that kind of authority. Such a thing would be an almost textbook case of 'constitutional crisis.'

*Again based on how I understand it, the British constitution as we now know it is largely a consequence of Queen-Empress Victoria deciding to take a hands-off approach to government and letting Parliament handle things while she reigned as a benign, beloved figurehead. This went on for so long (she reigned for sixty years, after all) that by the time she died, it amounted to a firm precedent for the 20th century British monarchy. As a result whereas most European countries had to go through one or more rounds of violent unrest to get power transferred from the monarch to a democratic legislature, Britain was able to just... relax... through the transition by virtue of having a monarch who didn't see fit to exercise the power she theoretically had.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Parody or not, I'm sincerely torn between my dislike of royalty and my dislike of the fucking Brexit (the crown jewel, so to speak, of Pigfucker Cameron's regime of bankrupt, incompetent leadership).

I was going to say bad form for publishing an April Fool's article on March 31st., but then I realized it must already be the first in Britain. Tricky Brits, fooling us Americans/Canadians in our different time zones. :D
YMMV of course, but I would much rather have a ceremonial monarch as a symbolic head of state than an elected president.

I'm also a supporter of the UK having a referndum on whether or not to join the EU since the last time they had one was over whether or not to join the EEC, and the previous government flat out lied to the public over having a referendum on the LIsbon Treaty. Whether or not leaving the EU isa good idea, the referendum itself was long overdue.
I believe the monarch actually does have some kind of veto or intervention power that was never formally removed, but which hasn't been used since Victoria* decided not to exercise it. If I'm not wrong...
In Canada the Monarch's powers are techncially quite substanial (veto power via the requirement to have leigslation given "royal assent", calling / dismissing parliament, appointing judges, selecting Prime Minsiter / Premiers etc) though in practice those powers are executed by elected officals (and IIRC the veto has not been used since Confederation). I imagine that it would be similar in the UK seeing as the Canadian government was based off the UKs (so is the US in many respects actually).
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Simon_Jester wrote:I believe the monarch actually does have some kind of veto or intervention power that was never formally removed, but which hasn't been used since Victoria* decided not to exercise it. If I'm not wrong...

On one level it would be 'legal' or 'constitutional' for them to say 'no' to an act of Parliament on that basis, but on another level this is a holdover from the days of King George the Somethingth and very few modern Britons actually want the monarchs exercising that kind of authority. Such a thing would be an almost textbook case of 'constitutional crisis.'

*Again based on how I understand it, the British constitution as we now know it is largely a consequence of Queen-Empress Victoria deciding to take a hands-off approach to government and letting Parliament handle things while she reigned as a benign, beloved figurehead. This went on for so long (she reigned for sixty years, after all) that by the time she died, it amounted to a firm precedent for the 20th century British monarchy. As a result whereas most European countries had to go through one or more rounds of violent unrest to get power transferred from the monarch to a democratic legislature, Britain was able to just... relax... through the transition by virtue of having a monarch who didn't see fit to exercise the power she theoretically had.
Actually the Royal Veto (that is, refusing to grant Royal Assent to an Act of Parliament) was last used by Queen Anne in 1713 or 1714 I think. And even that was apparently done on the advice of her ministers. The Monarch not being involved in politics goes back to George the First, who since he was also ruling Hannover and didn't speak English, basically went "ah sod it, you guys sort it out."

It has created some quite odd quirks of the government. For instance, technically the status/residence/importance of the Prime Minister actually comes from his role as First Lord of the Treasury, since "Prime Minister" wasn't a role that historically existed until Horace Walpole came along (as best I can recall).
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

I suspect that in modern day any real use of power by the monarchy in UK would result in swift removal of the monarchy, unless the monarch at the time was so charismatic that people would ignore/support said use of power.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

I remembered the date right when I got to the bit about Prince Philip being their respected representative. :lol:
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Lord Revan wrote:I suspect that in modern day any real use of power by the monarchy in UK would result in swift removal of the monarchy, unless the monarch at the time was so charismatic that people would ignore/support said use of power.
Revan, are you British? I forget...
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Lord Revan wrote:I suspect that in modern day any real use of power by the monarchy in UK would result in swift removal of the monarchy, unless the monarch at the time was so charismatic that people would ignore/support said use of power.
At the risk of sounding melodramatic, if Her Majesty (or His Majesty if it ends up being Charles who forces the issue) declined to go quietly then it'd come down to who the Army sided with, and I wouldn't bet too much on that being a Parliament who'd screwed up big enough to make the monarch say, "You bloody idiots have gone too far this time. ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL."
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Simon_Jester wrote:
Revan, are you British? I forget...
I'm finnish, though I have british relatives.
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Zaune wrote:
At the risk of sounding melodramatic, if Her Majesty (or His Majesty if it ends up being Charles who forces the issue) declined to go quietly then it'd come down to who the Army sided with, and I wouldn't bet too much on that being a Parliament who'd screwed up big enough to make the monarch say, "You bloody idiots have gone too far this time. ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL."
I suppose so, but I was thinking more of Elizabeth II or Charles (or what ever he choses for his regal name) using the powers for example to block UK from leaving EU because they thought it wasn't wise to do so. basically something major has to happen for the british monarchy to be able to "assume direct control" as you put it (or at least that's the impression I got from my relatives last time I spoke to them).
Edi
Dragonlord
Dragonlord

Post by Edi »

Obvious April Fool article when you consider all the different quotations. Even if some of the things would be said in private, they would never be repeated to a reporter in the manner portrayed in the article.
Warwolf Urban Combat Specialist

Why is it so goddamned hard to get little assholes like you to admit it when you fuck up? Is it pride? What gives you the right to have any pride?
–Darth Wong to vivftp

GOP message? Why don't they just come out of the closet: FASCISTS R' US –Patrick Degan

The GOP has a problem with anyone coming out of the closet. –18-till-I-die
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Thanas wrote:Guardian
Exclusive: royal family considering dramatic Brexit intervention

Royals are believed to be willing to risk a potential constitutional crisis to express their anger over the leave campaign

The royal family is seriously considering making a dramatic intervention in the referendum debate with an announcement that it supports Britain remaining inside the European Union.

That the royals are prepared to risk provoking a potential constitutional crisis shows just how deep their anger is at parts of the British press and senior politicians.

According to a senior source close to official figures, there was particular resentment at the Sun’s depiction of the Queen as a Brexit supporter.

But the anger runs through the generations at Buckingham Palace: there was fury at the claims about “workshy” Prince William, a campaign mounted by two papers with an anti-EU stance, the Daily Mail and the Sun. And there was a feeling last week that rock bottom had been hit with a story in the Mail that Kate was now posher than the other royals.

Using outside experts who advised that the intervention would need to be presented by a figure with impeccable European credentials, a strong affinity with the continent and the character to speak out, the family has decided that the move should fronted by Prince Philip.<snip>
They had me until that point, well played Guardian. Well played. :D
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Kingmaker
Jedi Knight

Post by Kingmaker »

it'd come down to who the Army sided with, and I wouldn't bet too much on that being a Parliament who'd screwed up big enough to make the monarch say, "You bloody idiots have gone too far this time. ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL."
Even the most staunch royalist soldier might balk when they realize the Queen was actually a giant, superintelligent alien robot.

Or maybe not.
In the event that the content of the above post is factually or logically flawed, I was Trolling All Along.

"Essentially, all models are wrong, but some are useful." - George Box
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Kingmaker wrote:
it'd come down to who the Army sided with, and I wouldn't bet too much on that being a Parliament who'd screwed up big enough to make the monarch say, "You bloody idiots have gone too far this time. ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL."
Even the most staunch royalist soldier might balk when they realize the Queen was actually a giant, superintelligent alien robot.

Or maybe not.
I thought we were going with a space alien lizard origin for Liz II and her family?
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

I'd pick either of those options over Cameron's lot.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
The_Saint
Jedi Knight

Post by The_Saint »

I find it amusing every time I see something saying how an intervention by the Queen into British government affairs would lead to swift removal of the monarchy. There are laws specifying exactly what and how that can happen, it doesn't matter if it hasn't happened in 300 years in England, it happened 40 years ago in Australia.
All people are equal but some people are more equal than others.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

As a non-Briton, I am curious; could you expand on that?