German police and the parrot menace

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Thanas
Magister
Magister

German police and the parrot menace

Post by Thanas »

Spiegel
Police forced their way into an apartment in Germany after hearing what they described as a "child-like voice" calling for its mother and father. Instead of an abandoned toddler, they found a cheerful and very talkative parrot.

The woman who called the police on Tuesday morning sounded worried. She said she had been trying for several days to speak to a neighbor but no one had answered the door when she knocked, even though she could hear children's voices inside.

Police dispatched to the flat in the western German town of Ibbenbüren heard a distinct child-like voice calling "Mama," "Papa" and "Mama Come."

"Police measures were launched because it couldn't be ruled out that an accident had occurred," the police said in a statement. The officers called the landlord and summoned the fire brigade and an ambulance.

The tension increased until a fireman finally managed to open the door.

"To their surprise they only found a parrot in the apartment, a talkative Blue-fronted Amazon. The parrot was sitting happily in its cage and greeted the officers with the words 'Mama,' 'Papa' and 'Mama Come,' the statement said.

When they reached the neighbor by phone, he told them that the family was away on holiday and that the parrot was being fed and watered regularly by a friend.

Satisfied, the officers left the bird to its monologue.
Ve must take great care to combat the parrot menace.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Questor
Jedi Council Member

Re: German police and the parrot menace

Post by Questor »

Thanas wrote:Ve must take great care to combat the parrot menace.
You know, while it says something bad about the soundproofing of the apartment that this was possible (bad, but relatively normal), it really does say something good about the priorities of the PD involved that they acted in this way.
Aaron MkII
Jedi Master

Post by Aaron MkII »

Yeah good on emergency services. Must have been a relief for them when they found it was just a bird.
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

Aaron MkII wrote:Yeah good on emergency services. Must have been a relief for them when they found it was just a bird.
Hell yeah. This is not a parrot menace. This is a testament to the good character of the neighbors who thought they heard a kid in distress and actually did something about it rather than assume someone else would. Good on them. And the Emergency Services (who did not shoot the parrot. Something that could have happened with american police services :P )
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

Alyrium Denryle wrote:
Aaron MkII wrote:Yeah good on emergency services. Must have been a relief for them when they found it was just a bird.
Hell yeah. This is not a parrot menace. This is a testament to the good character of the neighbors who thought they heard a kid in distress and actually did something about it rather than assume someone else would. Good on them. And the Emergency Services (who did not shoot the parrot. Something that could have happened with american police services :P )
Parrots can be dangerous animals if allowed to roam free. The claws on those birds are like knives and if one is coming at you then it is like being attacked by a person with a knife so yeah I'd say shooting one would be justified. :mrgreen: :P
Milites Astrum Exterminans
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

Kamakazie Sith wrote:
Alyrium Denryle wrote:
Parrots can be dangerous animals if allowed to roam free. The claws on those birds are like knives and if one is coming at you then it is like being attacked by a person with a knife so yeah I'd say shooting one would be justified. :mrgreen: :P
Oh god.

That reminds me of the justifications used by an officer who shot a morbidly obese Jack Russell Terrier. :mrgreen:
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

It could be a Kea.
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

weemadando wrote:It could be a Kea.
There is something unsettling about an animal that eats sheep without doing the courtesy of killing them first.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
xt828
Padawan Learner

Post by xt828 »

Zor wrote:
weemadando wrote:It could be a Kea.
There is something unsettling about an animal that eats sheep without doing the courtesy of killing them first.

Zor
Not *that* uncommon - my maternal family has a sheep-farming background, and they find Australian crows to be deeply offensive due to their habit of hanging around watering holes, hoping a sheep or lamb will get stuck so that they can have a go.
Aaron MkII
Jedi Master

Post by Aaron MkII »

Have a go at eating it? Or just killing it?
xt828
Padawan Learner

Post by xt828 »

The particular complaint that I remember hearing the most was they they would peck their eyes out, so I guess eating.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Also the spinal cord according to farmers tales - get in between the vertebrae and go for the high fat content in/around that.
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

So... how did they manage to open the door?
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

If a firey did it, I'm going with "the door did not survive".
Alkaloid
Jedi Master

Post by Alkaloid »

It was axed to death for the good of a parrot. Woe to anyone who stands between a firey and the chance to axe something, its an all too rare opportunity for them.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

PainRack wrote:So... how did they manage to open the door?
Clearly, this is the only option.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
CJvR
Sith Devotee

Post by CJvR »

"911. What is the emergency?"
"Help! Help! There is a cat in the house!"
"That isn't so bad. Who is this?"
"Andrew's parrot!"
I thought Roman candles meant they were imported. - Kelly Bundy
12 yards long, two lanes wide it's 65 tons of American pride, Canyonero! - Simpsons
Support the KKK environmental program - keep the Arctic white!
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

It's not the only problem the Germa police have]
Puppy thrown at German biker gang
A German student "mooned" a group of Hell's Angels and hurled a puppy at them before escaping on a stolen bulldozer, police have said.

The man drove up to a Hell's Angels clubhouse near Munich, wearing only a pair of shorts and carrying a puppy.

He dropped his shorts and threw the dog, escaping on a bulldozer from a nearby building site.

He was arrested later at home by police. The 26-year-old is said to have stopped taking depression medication.

After making his getaway on the bulldozer, he had driven so slowly that a 5km tailback built up behind him on the motorway.

After driving about 1km, he had abandoned the bulldozer in the middle of the motorway, near Allershausen. He continued his journey by hitchhiking.

"What motivated him to throw a puppy at the Hell's Angels is currently unclear," a police spokesman said.

The puppy is now being cared for in an animal shelter.
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

That wins the award for weirdest headline of the year.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Dalton wrote:That wins the award for weirdest headline of the year.
Imagine if you had to make a graphic for that.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Dartzap wrote:A German student "mooned" a group of Hell's Angels and hurled a puppy at them before escaping on a stolen bulldozer, police have said.
This line may just contain the single greatest amount of WTF I've ever seen in one sentence. It's seriously like something out of a fucking Looney Toons short.

I hope that guy gets back on his meds and gets a chance to fix himself up, (and I'm glad nobody was hurt, of course) but holy mother of god do I thank him for this image of pure madness.
JADAFETWA
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

Kuja wrote:
Dartzap wrote:A German student "mooned" a group of Hell's Angels and hurled a puppy at them before escaping on a stolen bulldozer, police have said.
This line may just contain the single greatest amount of WTF I've ever seen in one sentence. It's seriously like something out of a fucking Looney Toons short.

I hope that guy gets back on his meds and gets a chance to fix himself up, (and I'm glad nobody was hurt, of course) but holy mother of god do I thank him for this image of pure madness.
Would it help to imagine Hell's Angels with mopeds as their ride?

:mrgreen:
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."