Fat News Anchor Whines About Being Called Fat, Is Celebrated

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Re: Fat News Anchor Whines About Being Called Fat, Is Celebr

Post by Flagg »

Kon_El wrote:
TheFeniX wrote: The only thing related I've ever read was something about how Lung Cancer is the worst cancer to get because of a few factors such as it not being at the fore-front like breast cancer and also people 100% says it all your fault for smoking, which has to suck for the people who never touched a cigarette to take that kind of judgmental bullshit.
Being fat is very similar. There are many people who are fat that have no control over it due to medical conditions. People who feel the need to belittle a fat person always seem to go straight to "stop eating so much".
Got a percentage that are fat due to causes other than eating too much of the wrong shit without exercsising? Not being a smartass, am actually curious.
But to the person who wrote me that letter, do you think I don't know that? That your cruel words are pointing out something that I don't see? You don't know me."
This is the part that bothers me the most. What possible purpose does it serve to try to make another human feel like a piece of shit?
The thing is, this guy didn't do it. He simply politely said she was setting a bad example for children when it comes to obesity and she responded in a bullying fashion. As I said before, I disagree with the guys reasoning, but I think she is the bully in this situation.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Justforfun000
Sith Devotee

Post by Justforfun000 »

I'm only going to say a little interjection here from someone who has always been one of the skinny people by nature...Since I turned 40...things changed. A lot! It's amazing how quickly your metabolism alters. I still generally stay a "slim" size overall and people joke with me all the time about how I'm so skinny and what's my secret...but it's all a bullshit game until the clothes come off.

I had a naturally flat stomach all my life. Then in the last little bit, the few extra pounds that crept up to approximately 10 pounds over my 'natural' weight I always stayed at..showed up right there on my midsection. It freaked me out so much that I went in for a colonoscopy, an endoscopy, I did multiple tests like stomach enzymes, diabetic concerns, etc. etc.. All in all they all came back that I was perfectly healthy, normal and whether I liked it or not...at that time...I was just simply overweight!

It was a huge blow to me and my ego and I've been able to alter my diet, exercise level and control it to a degree...but the truth is that the middle-age spread is a real thing. You will start losing your natural athletic/toned/young body shape if you had it in general.

So the people that do NOT have the ectomorphic frame I'm used to that have struggled all of their lives to keep slimmer I feel the greatest sympathy for because I honestly didn't get it. I had no clue how powerful the body's set point of weight size was genetic..or hormonal..whatever you want to describe it as. I can still fight and lose extra pounds and get moving towards what I consider an 'ideal' body..but I realize now how fuckin lucky I was and am in my specific metabolism...people that are naturally heavy? It must be absolute HELL to slim down. Straight up!
You have to realize that most Christian "moral values" behaviour is not really about "protecting" anyone; it's about their desire to send a continual stream of messages of condemnation towards people whose existence offends them. - Darth Wong alias Mike Wong

"There is nothing wrong with being ignorant. However, there is something very wrong with not choosing to exchange ignorance for knowledge when the opportunity presents itself."
Kon_El
Jedi Knight

Post by Kon_El »

Flagg wrote:
Kon_El wrote:
TheFeniX wrote: The only thing related I've ever read was something about how Lung Cancer is the worst cancer to get because of a few factors such as it not being at the fore-front like breast cancer and also people 100% says it all your fault for smoking, which has to suck for the people who never touched a cigarette to take that kind of judgmental bullshit.
Being fat is very similar. There are many people who are fat that have no control over it due to medical conditions. People who feel the need to belittle a fat person always seem to go straight to "stop eating so much".
Got a percentage that are fat due to causes other than eating too much of the wrong shit without exercsising? Not being a smartass, am actually curious.
No numbers but I know people in that situation. I'm not going to go into any detail because its not my thing to share. I will say that it's hard to see people hate themselves because of the things people have said to them over a weight problem they can't do anything about.
Flagg wrote:
But to the person who wrote me that letter, do you think I don't know that? That your cruel words are pointing out something that I don't see? You don't know me."
This is the part that bothers me the most. What possible purpose does it serve to try to make another human feel like a piece of shit?
The thing is, this guy didn't do it. He simply politely said she was setting a bad example for children when it comes to obesity and she responded in a bullying fashion. As I said before, I disagree with the guys reasoning, but I think she is the bully in this situation.
From his letter
"Obesity is one of the worst choices a person can make and one of the most dangerous habits to maintain,"
This is an assumption he made about her and then stated as fact. Not everyone who is fat chose it. By making this assumption he is justifying that because it is a choice she is a bad person for making the wrong one. Thus it is Ok to..
"I leave you this note hoping that you'll reconsider your responsibility as a local public personality to present and promote a healthy lifestyle."
Tell her to either lose weight or stop being on a T.V. show he doesn't even watch. Using flowery language to call for someones to resign their job because of their weight is still just that.

It sounds all to similar to the message of some fundies about how gay people shouldn't be on T.V. because it will corrupt children. It's hate speech in the guise of "protect the children".
Spyder
Sith Marauder

Post by Spyder »

Flagg wrote:The thing is, this guy didn't do it. He simply politely said she was setting a bad example for children when it comes to obesity and she responded in a bullying fashion. As I said before, I disagree with the guys reasoning, but I think she is the bully in this situation.
Just like Santa.
:D
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Spyder wrote:
Flagg wrote:The thing is, this guy didn't do it. He simply politely said she was setting a bad example for children when it comes to obesity and she responded in a bullying fashion. As I said before, I disagree with the guys reasoning, but I think she is the bully in this situation.
Just like Santa.
If Santa put a ranting letter about some guy he hates in every stocking then yes, he'd be a big fat bully.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Spyder
Sith Marauder

Post by Spyder »

Flagg wrote:
Spyder wrote:
Just like Santa.
If Santa put a ranting letter about some guy he hates in every stocking then yes, he'd be a big fat bully.
Doesn't Santa have a right to respond to criticism about his weight?
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Spyder wrote:
Flagg wrote:
Spyder wrote:
Just like Santa.
Sure. He even has the right to be a bully, which he would be, if he engaged in such behavior.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Spyder
Sith Marauder

Post by Spyder »

Flagg wrote:
Spyder wrote:
Flagg wrote: If Santa put a ranting letter about some guy he hates in every stocking then yes, he'd be a big fat bully.
Sure. He even has the right to be a bully, which he would be, if he engaged in such behavior.
Do you have a recommendation for how Santa could respond to criticism about his weight that wouldn't be bullying?
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Spyder wrote: Do you have a recommendation for how Santa could respond to criticism about his weight that wouldn't be bullying?
How about a response in like form to the person who wrote the letter? Or ignore it?
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
whackadoodle
Padawan Learner

Post by whackadoodle »

Flagg wrote:
Spyder wrote: Do you have a recommendation for how Santa could respond to criticism about his weight that wouldn't be bullying?
How about a response in like form to the person who wrote the letter? Or ignore it?
It's pretty well known that any correspondence with a journalist is potentially grist for the mill. I mean, yeah the guy is an ambulance chaser personal injury attorney, but he can't be so fucking stupid as to think that his concern trolling would remain private.

All in all, this piece was brilliant on her part. Who had heard of her, her morning show, or her station before the content bloggers picked up her story?

As to the claim that Krause is a bully - nah. He's just a fucking busy-body. He's the kind of guy that walks his neighborhood each morning looking for improperly trimmed lawns and unapproved lawn decorations and files a complaint on each and every infraction to the homeowner's association.

As an aside, am I the only one to read his original letter like this:
Concern Troll wrote:I was laying on my couch, yoinking it to the hot morning newscasters, when I came across your show, which I rarely watch. The sight of your lardicity straight up murdered my boner. You'd be wankable if you'd drop a few tons. Your employer should institute a "No Fat Chicks" policy post-haste. Sincerely, My Boner
I have come to the conclusion that my subjective account of my motivation is largely mythical on almost all occasions. I don't know why I do things.
J.B.S. Haldane
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Full marks to whackadoodle.

That being said...I'd be more in agreement if the newscaster was going on about the merits of being fat and eating whatever shit you wanted. To me, the person who wrote the letter did it based purely on her appearance rather than her actions, which strikes me as a shallow, superficial dick move. Furthermore, for her to respond in that manner, using her air time on a television newscast, was, in my opinion, at the very least unprofessional and at the very most vengeful. I find both at fault.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

I may have missed this- what is her employer saying about it?
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

Simon_Jester wrote:I may have missed this- what is her employer saying about it?
Given that she is now doing the talk show rounds, probably encouraging her. They smell ratings with very little risk of backlash.
To Absent Friends

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Hm.

Well, that isn't quite what I meant- communication problem on my end, I guess. What I meant to ask was: do we know if she got permission to spend some air time talking about this or anything like that? That would say something about the professionalism issue.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

An article I read at the time but cannot find is telling (to me, anyway). Apparently from what I recall, the station offered him an interview, which is hilarious since I'm sure he'd have felt welcome and not at all in a hostile environment if he'd agreed to it, which he didn't. It smacks of ass covering to me.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

Simon_Jester wrote:Hm.

Well, that isn't quite what I meant- communication problem on my end, I guess. What I meant to ask was: do we know if she got permission to spend some air time talking about this or anything like that? That would say something about the professionalism issue.
Permission or not, I, speaking as someone in television production, did not find it all that professional to directly engage a viewer in that manner. She likely did not have to worry about going higher than the show runner (usually the Executive Producer) though and may have had to loop in Legal and Rights & Clearances at most. I would be surprised if it went any higher than that, and given that it was a local newscast on an affiliate station and not a network feed through an O&O, CBS would have had no say in the content.
To Absent Friends

whackadoodle
Padawan Learner

Post by whackadoodle »

Dalton wrote:given that it was a local newscast on an affiliate station
...and there you go. A local morning show, if I recall, at that.

This really all started when her husband posted the original email on their facebook page. The response they received was immediate, huge, and overwhelmingly positive (I haven't dug that far, but I wouldn't be surprised if her husband was a producer). With that kind of response, I'm sure that they only had to clear it with Legal, and then run with it. Ethical or not, it's fucking gold. The content bloggers picked it up - they do mine for shit, after all - and responses from all the spectrum make her look good. The feminists, white knights, etc. all directly support her side, and the NO-MAAMosphere are doing their "No Fat Chicks" PUA TellHerBro schtick. All of which equals eyeballs on their station, its website and thus its advertisers.
And that's the bottom line.
I have come to the conclusion that my subjective account of my motivation is largely mythical on almost all occasions. I don't know why I do things.
J.B.S. Haldane
whackadoodle
Padawan Learner

Post by whackadoodle »

Hmm, turns out she's Ron Livingston's sister.
Flagg wrote:An article I read at the time but cannot find is telling (to me, anyway). Apparently from what I recall, the station offered him an interview, which is hilarious since I'm sure he'd have felt welcome and not at all in a hostile environment if he'd agreed to it, which he didn't. It smacks of ass covering to me.
Maybe this article?
Article wrote:Brian Simpson, a friend of Livingston's who works for "The Morning Sickness" radio show on La Crosse's 95.7 FM, has also invited Krause to come on the show "and talk about his hatred for people who are a bit overweight."

"I sure hope [Krause's] wife, Michele, doesn't pack on a few pounds.....who knows what he'd do to her," Simpson writes in a Facebook post.

For Livingston (she's actually the sister of Office Space star Ron Livingston), the issue Krause's letter raised was primarily about bullying. But Krause views himself as some sort of public health crusader, as he makes plain in a statement he issued after the story went national.

Here's some of what he said:

Given this country's present epidemic of obesity and the many truly horrible diseases related thereto, and considering Jennifer Livingston's fortuitous position in the community, I hope she will finally take advantage of a rare and golden opportunity to influence the health and psychological well-being of Coulee Region children by transforming herself for all of her viewers to see over the next year, and, to that end, I would be absolutely pleased to offer Jennifer any advice or support she would be willing to accept.
You know why people are attacking Krause, laughing at him, Flagg? It's not fat acceptance, whatever the hell that is. It's because, well, who the fuck writes letters like that?!? Busy-body crackpots, that's who.
J.B.S. Haldane
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Flagg wrote:Got a percentage that are fat due to causes other than eating too much of the wrong shit without exercsising? Not being a smartass, am actually curious.
I don't have percentages, but I do have a few medical facts for you to consider:

1) It is harder for women to lose weight than it is for men. This is because women's bodies are "programmed" to carry a higher percentage of body fat than a man's body, in no small part to ensure that a woman will be able to successfully carry a fetus to term (I have a sister who actually lost weight between the time of conception and time of delivery due to a serious illness - the baby was born normal weight because she had sufficient calories "on board" in the form of body fat to sustain the baby for those months she was too ill to eat adequately to maintain her weight). This difference becomes even more pronounced after a woman has been pregnant and given birth.

2) Thyroid disorders can really make it hard to impossible to lose weight. There are a couple other glandular disorders that can also fuck up weight control. Someone with a thyroid dysfunction may have a much lower than normal metabolism meaning a diet sufficiently low in calories to actually lose weight may not be sufficient for nutrition. That's a bit extreme, true, but really, anyone with a "low thyroid" will find it MUCH harder to lose weight than someone without the problem. The doctors do true to compensate with artificial thyroid hormone but it's not as good as having a properly functioning thyroid and they will, if anything, tend to set the replacement slightly low rather than slight high as too much thyroid hormone can fuck you up even worse than being merely overweight, including a charming phenomena called a "thyroid storm" which can leave you dead. The news anchor in question does, in fact, have a thyroid disorder. She almost certainly really does have a harder time losing any weight at all compared to a person without thyroid problems.

3) Anyone on a corticosteroid for a long period of time is going to have a weight problem. This includes a lot (though not all) people with organ transplants, people with autoimmune disorders including fun things like lupus, and folks with severe asthma or life-threatening allergies.

4) A number of anti-HIV drugs fuck up fat metabolism. This results in too much fat in some places and not enough in others, leading to some pretty freaky-looking people sometimes.

5) There are genetic disorders that predispose to obesity. Some are familiar, like Down's Syndrome, and some less so, like Prader-Willi Syndrome. While not everyone with those syndromes will be obese these unfortunates really do have a problem of lower-than-normal metabolism even when athletic and appetites ranging from normal (such as in Down's) to the obscene (Prader-Willi, where the "full" mechanism doesn't exist. These people are NEVER not hungry, their appetites are locked permanently into "I'm starving" and no amount of food will satisfy.)

Now, I don't know the percentages of people who suffer the above, but they all certainly do exist, and in most cases you can't tell just by looking at them that they have one of the above problems (Down's being an exception). So yeah, some people really do have more trouble losing weight than the average person, and a person with two or more of the above (such as woman + thyroid problem) is going to have it even worse. Does that excuse every overweight person? Certainly not. Does that mean it's OK for an of the above to give up/quit trying? No. However, do understand that this newsanchor, being both female and having a thyroid problem really does have a harder time losing weight than a healthy young man such as, for example, Flagg.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Spoonist
Jedi Council Member

Post by Spoonist »

Broomstick wrote:than a healthy young man such as, for example, Flagg.
:wtf:
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Broomstick wrote:than a healthy young man such as, for example, Flagg.
Please tell me you're joking.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

"Healthy" in that presumably he is male and doesn't have a thyroid (or similar problem) that would make losing weight more difficult than otherwise.

He can have a shitload of other problems that won't affect his ability to lose weight that would be irrelevant to this thread.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Broomstick wrote:He can have a shitload of other problems that won't affect his ability to lose weight that would be irrelevant to this thread.
He once posted that he was bleeding from his eyes.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

That shouldn't affect the ability to lose weight one way or the other (unless the underlying cause is one of the categories I listed).

Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

I'm very limited in what kind fo excersising I can do due to the hernia, even though it's been repaired. Still am not allowed to lift anything over 10lbs. Plus the constant pain from after the surgery that may or may not go away keeps me inactive alot. But I had a gastric bypass that easily added 20 years to my lifespan already.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw