Apple fined $2m over misleading iPad 4G claim

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-06-21/a ... n=business
Updated June 21, 2012 11:48:24

Apple has been fined more than $2 million for misleading consumers by claiming that its latest iPad was compatible with the next generation 4G broadband network.

Apple misled the public with claims in its advertising implying that the "iPad with WiFi + 4G", could connect directly to the Telstra LTE mobile data network in Australia, which it could not, Federal Court Justice Mordy Bromberg found.

In a judgement delivered this morning, he said the company engaged in conduct liable to mislead the public and contravened Australian consumer law.

Justice Bromberg fined Apple $2.25 million and ordered it pay $300,000 in costs.

Earlier this week, the court slapped internet service provider TPG with a $2 million fine for a long-running series of misleading advertisements promising ADSL2+ broadband for $29.99 a month.

The catch was that customers had to pay another $30 per month for phone line rental, plus set-up fees that in some cases were not disclosed in the ads at all.

In the Apple case, Justice Bromberg said the most concerning aspect of the contravention was the deliberate nature of Apple's misleading conduct.

"Apple does not seek to deny the deliberateness of its conduct and there are no facts before me which seek to excuse or explain the conduct, other than that the conduct occurred at the behest of Apple's parent company ... Apple Inc," he said.

The same campaign "iPad with WiFi + 4G" was used worldwide, the judgment said.

Justice Bromberg said Apple was first told the device was not compatible with the Telstra 4G network on March 8 this year.

The risk of contravention of Australian consumer law would have been "reasonably obvious" to those at Apple familiar with the Australian market's understanding of the term 4G, he said.

"In that context, and in the absence of any other explanation, the facts to which I have just referred, suggest that Apple's desire for global uniformity was given a greater priority than the need to ensure compliance with the Australian consumer law," Justice Bromberg said.

"Conduct of that kind is serious and unacceptable."
Its of little interest to me personally since I don't buy Apple products, but I thought some people might find this interesting.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Re: Apple fined $2m over misleading iPad 4G claim

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Only 2 million, eh? Operating costs.
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
TronPaul
Padawan Learner

Post by TronPaul »

When you have $100 billion in liquid assets, 2 million is kind of chump change. Though really this is just another US product that lies about 4G.
If it waddles like a duck and it quacks like a duck, it's a KV-5.
Vote Electron Standard, vote Tron Paul 2012
Executor32
Jedi Council Member
Location: In a Georgia courtroom, watching a spectacle unfold

Post by Executor32 »

As much as I loathe Apple, I'm finding it hard to see the big deal here. The only thing they're probably guilty of is running the same ads as in the US and Canada, where its LTE connectivity actually works.
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku...
-Aku, Master of Masters, Deliverer of Darkness, Shogun of Sorrow
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Executor32 wrote:As much as I loathe Apple, I'm finding it hard to see the big deal here. The only thing they're probably guilty of is running the same ads as in the US and Canada, where its LTE connectivity actually works.
It's only newsworthy because it's Apple, it's really the equivalent to "rich white guy receives a parking violation."
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

Executor32 wrote:As much as I loathe Apple, I'm finding it hard to see the big deal here. The only thing they're probably guilty of is running the same ads as in the US and Canada, where its LTE connectivity actually works.
Yeeeah, who cares if the device you bought actually works. After all, you buy Apple to make others green, not to actually meaningfully use it :lol:
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

If only Telstra hadn't used the wrong frequency and then blamed Apple? :v

The device has a 4G radio, and everyone I've ever spoken to at Apple stores says 'ps it won't work with Telstra's LTE network'. As the article says for you guys who didn't read it, the issue is that Apple should have known that they needed a big 'WILL NOT WORK WITH TELSTRA'S STUPID NETWORK' sticker on their marketing, because average people don't know the difference between different types of 4G magic go juice.

Pretty sure the number of handsets in the country that DO work with LTE is currently sitting at one.
Executor32
Jedi Council Member
Location: In a Georgia courtroom, watching a spectacle unfold

Post by Executor32 »

どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku...
-Aku, Master of Masters, Deliverer of Darkness, Shogun of Sorrow
JointStrikeFighter
Worthless Trolling Palm-Fucker

Post by JointStrikeFighter »

S3 is out now, so a whole FOUR devices :V