TP:Grover Norquist Is Showing "Signs of Converting to Islam"

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

General Mung Beans
Jedi Knight
Location: Orange Prefecture, California Sector, America Quadrant, Terra

TP:Grover Norquist Is Showing "Signs of Converting to Islam"

Post by General Mung Beans »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/0 ... 72347.html
Cathie Adams: Grover Norquist 'Showing Signs Of Converting To Islam' Because He Has A Beard
The Huffington Post | By Paige Lavender
Posted: 06/01/2013 3:35 pm EDT

Cathie Adams, president of the Texas Eagle Forum and former chairman of the Republican Party of Texas, made questionable remarks about anti-tax activist Grover Norquist during a recent speech on “Radical Islam and the Muslim Brotherhood.”

In a video posted by the Far North Dallas Tea Party and reported on by Right Wing Watch, Adams can be heard saying Norquist is “showing signs of converting to Islam himself," citing his beard as evidence.

"Many of us know him because often times we like what he says about economic issues, but Grover Norquist is trouble with a capital T," Adams says in the video. "As you see he has a beard, and he's showing signs of converting to Islam himself."

Adams brought Norquist's wife -- Samah Alrayyes, a Palestinian Muslim -- into her argument.

"He's married to a Muslim woman, but he denies that he has converted himself. He denies that," Adams says.

Norquist has been the subject of anti-Muslim attacks before. Frank Gaffney, the head of the Center for Security Policy, has accused Norquist of "credentialing the perpetrators of this Muslim Brotherhood influence operation" in the past.

"We are in a war, and [Norquist] has been working with the enemy for over a decade," Gaffney wrote in a January 2011 op-ed.

Norquist has spoken out against attacks on Muslim Americans, notably calling GOP efforts to halt plans for an Islamic community center and mosque near the destroyed World Trade Center site "a distraction from a winning game plan."

Click here to watch the full video of Adams' remarks, and click here for more from Right Wing Watch.
I checked, this is not a parody.
El Moose Monstero: That would be the winning song at Eurovision. I still say the Moldovans were more fun. And that one about the Apricot Tree.
That said...it is growing on me.
Thanas: It is one of those songs that kinda get stuck in your head so if you hear it several times, you actually grow to like it.
General Zod: It's the musical version of Stockholm syndrome.
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Re: TP:Grover Norquist Is Showing "Signs of Converting to Is

Post by Guardsman Bass »

Norquist's had a bunch of that kind of bullshit flung at him over the years, because he married a muslim woman. This is just the most recent.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

I have Muslim friends...does that make me a closet Jihadist? :lol:

Hard to understand how they can make this type of jump. That, and even if he is Muslim it doesn't mean he goes around going 'Death to America!!!' like most of the Right thinks all Muslims do.
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
PhilosopherOfSorts
Jedi Master
Location: Waynesburg, PA, its small, its insignifigant, its almost West Virginia.

Post by PhilosopherOfSorts »

Skywalker_T-65 wrote:I have Muslim friends...does that make me a closet Jihadist? :lol:

Hard to understand how they can make this type of jump. That, and even if he is Muslim it doesn't mean he goes around going 'Death to America!!!' like most of the Right thinks all Muslims do.

Yes, yes, it does*, on both counts.

*not to reasonable people, but to the ignorant, bigoted jackass wing of U.S. politics.
A fuse is a physical embodyment of zen, in order for it to succeed, it must fail.

Power to the Peaceful

If you have friends like mine, raise your glasses. If you don't, raise your standards.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

PhilosopherOfSorts wrote:
Skywalker_T-65 wrote:I have Muslim friends...does that make me a closet Jihadist? :lol:

*not to reasonable people, but to the ignorant, bigoted jackass wing of U.S. politics.
The word you're looking for is "republican".
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
PhilosopherOfSorts
Jedi Master
Location: Waynesburg, PA, its small, its insignifigant, its almost West Virginia.

Post by PhilosopherOfSorts »

Flagg wrote:
PhilosopherOfSorts wrote:

The word you're looking for is "republican".

Mostly, but not entirely. From my experience, anyway.
A fuse is a physical embodyment of zen, in order for it to succeed, it must fail.

Power to the Peaceful

If you have friends like mine, raise your glasses. If you don't, raise your standards.
Dr. Trainwreck
Jedi Knight

Post by Dr. Trainwreck »

Is there even any proof that his wife is a practicing Muslim, or they just infer everything from her name?
Ποταμοῖσι τοῖσιν αὐτοῖσιν ἐμϐαίνουσιν, ἕτερα καὶ ἕτερα ὕδατα ἐπιρρεῖ. Δὶς ἐς τὸν αὐτὸν ποταμὸν οὐκ ἂν ἐμβαίης.

The seller was a Filipino called Dr. Wilson Lim, a self-declared friend of the M.I.L.F. -Grumman
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Dr. Trainwreck wrote:Is there even any proof that his wife is a practicing Muslim, or they just infer everything from her name?
The funny part about this post is that you make it sound like being a Muslim is some sort of crime.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Tanasinn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tanasinn »

Uh...no he doesn't? He's just pointing out that they may not have any base for their paranoia to begin with. Which would, in itself, be funny.
Truth fears no trial.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Tanasinn wrote:Uh...no he doesn't? He's just pointing out that they may not have any base for their paranoia to begin with. Which would, in itself, be funny.
I'm just wondering why it matters if she's Muslim or not. Their paranoia's baseless bullshit all the same.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Tanasinn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tanasinn »

Because it's funnier if their secret Muslim Manchurian Candidate accusations stem from a marriage to a woman who isn't Muslim in the first place.
Truth fears no trial.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Norquist has done more damage than any single Islamic terrorist- measuring the opportunity costs alone, the roads and schools not built, the research not done, the children not fed...

He's one of those people I look at and think "if a foreign force had done this, instead of it being a self-inflicted wound from our domestic political process, we would be at war with that foreign force."
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Dr. Trainwreck
Jedi Knight

Post by Dr. Trainwreck »

General Zod wrote:The funny part about this post is that you make it sound like being a Muslim is some sort of crime.
I... no. Like Tanasinn said, it's funnier that way. It's like the difference between howling at the moon naked, and howling at the moon naked and painted with mustard.
Ποταμοῖσι τοῖσιν αὐτοῖσιν ἐμϐαίνουσιν, ἕτερα καὶ ἕτερα ὕδατα ἐπιρρεῖ. Δὶς ἐς τὸν αὐτὸν ποταμὸν οὐκ ἂν ἐμβαίης.

The seller was a Filipino called Dr. Wilson Lim, a self-declared friend of the M.I.L.F. -Grumman
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Simon_Jester wrote:Norquist has done more damage than any single Islamic terrorist- measuring the opportunity costs alone, the roads and schools not built, the research not done, the children not fed...

He's one of those people I look at and think "if a foreign force had done this, instead of it being a self-inflicted wound from our domestic political process, we would be at war with that foreign force."
How much blame can really be put at Norquist's feet, as opposed to those who keep voting for people who sign his silly pledges?
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Eh, you're right, I'm conflating the man with the movement.

Norquist, at most, was a major player in getting the "antitax fanatic" ball rolling; it would probably exist even if he'd never lived.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

I have a full mountain man beard....

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

you're a bear. you get a species exemption.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Saxtonite
Padawan Learner

Post by Saxtonite »

Hard to understand how they can make this type of jump.
In Islam males have to convert to Islam if they want to marry a Muslim female, "Traditionally". Non-Muslim females can marry Muslim males w/o conversion....
"Opps, wanted to add; wasn't there a study about how really smart people lead shitty lives socially? I vaguely remember something about it, so correct me if I'm wrong. Frankly, I'm of the opinion that I'd rather let the new Newton or new Tesla lead a better life than have him have a shitty one and come up with apple powered death rays."
-Knife, in here
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

The only picture of his wife that I've found shows her to look incredibly Caucasian (suggesting her family might have been a member of the Ottoman era landowning class in Palestine which was usually from other parts of the Empire and not actually Arabic) and drinking a glass of wine. She was however definitely at least notionally born Muslim as she grew up in Kuwait and they did not accept Palestinian Christian refugees.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

now, now DoZ we can't confuse these people with actual facts, and history....

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin