BREAKING: EARTHQUAKE IN DC

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

BREAKING: EARTHQUAKE IN DC

Post by Dalton »

BREAKING NEWS - EARTHQUAKE IN DC

No details as of yet. I just saw it happen in MSNBC's DC studio.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
El Moose Monstero
Moose Rebellion Ambassador
Location: The Cradle of the Rebellion... Oop Nowrrth, Like...

Re: BREAKING: EARTHQUAKE IN DC

Post by El Moose Monstero »

5.8 claims BBC Breaking News, but no report yet.
"...a fountain of mirth, issuing forth from the penis of a cupid..." ~ Dalton / Winner of the 'Frank Hipper Most Horrific Drag EVAR' award - 2004 / The artist formerly known as The_Lumberjack.

Evil Brit Conspiracy: Token Moose Obsessed Kebab Munching Semi Geordie
Daltonator
Reclusive Wanker

Post by Daltonator »

5.8 magnitude centered around Mineral, VA - effects felt in NJ, Manhattan and other areas.
JMS 4:22 | Image
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Daltonator wrote:5.8 magnitude centered around Mineral, VA - effects felt in NJ, Manhattan and other areas.

It woke my ass up. In fact, cat was on bed staring at me and I thought I might have finally snapped(as it was much larger of a quake then the one we had last year), until I looked outside and noticed neighbors running out of the building.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

People felt it here up in Manhattan, though the only real indication I had that something was amiss was that the hanging lights in our office were swaying, like they do when it's really windy.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
FireNexus
Cookie

Post by FireNexus »

We felt it in Philly. First time I've ever felt an earthquake, actually.
I had a Bill Maher quote here. But fuck him for his white privelegy "joke".

All the rest? Too long.
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

People on Long Island and myself in Queens (:P) felt it. Went on for about half a minute or so. Only thing I bothered to do was go out on the balcony only to see a guy walking on the street as if nothing was happening. :lol:
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
Vaporous
Jedi Knight

Post by Vaporous »

Lonestar wrote:
Daltonator wrote:5.8 magnitude centered around Mineral, VA - effects felt in NJ, Manhattan and other areas.

It woke my ass up. In fact, cat was on bed staring at me and I thought I might have finally snapped(as it was much larger of a quake then the one we had last year), until I looked outside and noticed neighbors running out of the building.
Same. shook me out of bed in New York.
ChaserGrey
Jedi Knight

Post by ChaserGrey »

Felt in Philadelphia. Shook the whole building I was in and freaked me right the fuck out, I can tell ya.
Lt. Brown, Mr. Grey, and Comrade Syeriy on Let's Play BARIS
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

Felt it here in Beverly, WV too.
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
Ryushikaze
Jedi Master

Post by Ryushikaze »

In Chapel Hill we had only some minor vibrations. Apparently, it was a bit more pronounced nearer the mountains.

So, what practice or policy do you think the looneys will claim caused this one?
AMT
Jedi Knight

Post by AMT »

No one in Lexington KY felt it, but apparently other parts of the state did, as did some in Cincinnati.
Themightytom
Sith Devotee

Post by Themightytom »

I felt it in NH while I was sprinting down a flight of stairs. I have now proven to my coworkers that I am not drunk.

"Since when is "the west" a nation?"-Styphon
"ACORN= Cobra obviously." AMT
This topic is... oh Village Idiot. Carry on then.--Havok
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

Ryushikaze wrote:So, what practice or policy do you think the looneys will claim caused this one?
My votes on gays in the military.
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

At first I thought it was the LIRR that runs behind my building but then the whole apartment started to creak and make weird noises and the floor beneath my feet was really unsteady. We grabbed the baby and my daughter and prepared to bolt but it subsided. Very freaky experience. That was my first Earthquake.
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
Lord Zentei
Space Elf Psyker
Location: Ulthwé Craftworld, plotting the downfall of the Imperium.

Post by Lord Zentei »

I haven't seen much on this yet, but there's this:
CBS wrote:(CBS/AP)

WASHINGTON - A 5.9 magnitude earthquake centered northwest of Richmond, Va., shook much of Washington, D.C., and was felt as far north as Rhode Island and New York City.

The quake sent hundreds of people spilling into the street a block from the White House, with other buildings evacuated in North Carolina and tremors felt as far away as New York City.

The U.S. Geological Survey said the earthquake was 3.7 miles deep. Shaking was felt at the White House and all over the East Coast, as far south as Chapel Hill, N.C. Parts of the Pentagon, White House and Capitol were evacuated. The quake was in Mineral, Va., in Louisa County.

The Pentagon was later deemed safe for reoccupation.

EDIT: ABC has slightly more:
ABC wrote:A 5.9 magnitude earthquake jolted the East Coast, rattling people from Martha's Vineyard to Washington, D.C. to North Carolina and led people to flee several federal buildings.

The earthquake sent people fleeing from office buildings, hospitals, the Pentagon and the State Department. The pillars of the capital in Washington, D.C. shook.

The quake was felt as far north as New Hampshire.

The epicenter of the quake was near Mineral, Va., 35 miles from Richmond, Va., and 85 miles from the nation's capital. The quake was 3.7 miles deep. The epicenter is very close to two Dominion Power nuclear power plants.

A woman who works at Mineral Barber Shop in Mineral, Va. said that the inside of her shop is a mess but there doesn't appear to be any major damage outside the town square.

People in the New York Times building on 42nd street in Manhattan said they felt the entire building shift, and watched office furniture move. As the tall buildings in New York swayed, people ran out into the street.

The New York City Criminal Court in lower Manhattan was also evacuated.

In Washington, D.C., a woman serving jury duty said saw dust fall from surrounding buildings.

Reports of cell service outages have been reported.

A man eating lunch in Charlottesville, Va., described his house tipping and plates shaking as he ate lunch.
Last edited by Lord Zentei on 2011-08-23 02:35pm, edited 1 time in total.
CotK <mew> | HAB | JL | MM | TTC | Cybertron

TAX THE CHURCHES! - Lord Zentei TTC Supreme Grand Prophet

And the LORD said, Let there be Bosons! Yea and let there be Bosoms too!
I'd rather be the great great grandson of a demon ninja than some jackass who grew potatos. -- Covenant
Dead cows don't fart. -- CJvR
...and I like strudel! :mrgreen: -- Asuka
Frank Hipper
Overfiend of the Superego

Post by Frank Hipper »

AMT wrote:No one in Lexington KY felt it, but apparently other parts of the state did, as did some in Cincinnati.
Ja, felt it here just north of Cincy; first earthquake I've felt in many years, after a second or two I thought, "Naw, that's not an earthquake, this chair's just a bit wobbly." :P
Life is all the eternity you get, use it wisely.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

General Schatten wrote:
Ryushikaze wrote:So, what practice or policy do you think the looneys will claim caused this one?
My votes on gays in the military.

"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
eion
Jedi Master

Post by eion »

USGS Event Log

Felt it in Northern VA, of course. Thought someone was using construction equipment near me. Filed my "Felt it" report with the USGS, love watching that map light up.
ChaserGrey
Jedi Knight

Post by ChaserGrey »

Thanks for the link eion, it was pretty cool filing my report.

Right after it happened somebody said there had been an earthquake in Colorado, and I thought, "Oh my God, two at once? What the hell could cause that over that much distance?" Of course, the Colorado one was this morning, but my mind went into sci-fi mode and was imagining some mega-disaster or improbable superweapon.

In my defense, this was about sixty seconds after the shaking stopped and I was still pretty freaked. Sanity returned shortly thereafter. :mrgreen:
Lt. Brown, Mr. Grey, and Comrade Syeriy on Let's Play BARIS
Spice Runner
Jedi Knight

Post by Spice Runner »

Everything started creaking or shaking in the house here in central NJ. Strange sensation. I've never been in an earthquake before.
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Vortex Empire »

We felt it all the way up here in Rhode Island, though it was just a little shaking.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

@ work, felt like the office prankster had snuck in and shook my computer chair. Little freaked no one was in the cube with me. 5min later we get the news and people start freaking out and trying to evacuate

WV State Capitol (2miles east) did evac, but we were told to stay in place. Wonder if we'll feel any aftershooks?
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Felt it in my office in Toronto. A bit of shaking, but it was gentle enough that I didn't think anything of it until somebody else pointed it out.
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Nothing appears to have fallen down, caught fire or exploded so they'll probably wait for that hurricane I saw mentioed briefly on the news earlier today.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog