European refugee crisis thread

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Re: European refugee crisis thread

Post by LaCroix »

Simon_Jester wrote:Thing is, the refugees have to have some kind of motive for this. Hungry men do not refuse food without cause.

So what, in their minds, is going on?
Hunger strike. They demanded to continue their travel to Germany without the mandatory registration in the "country of first entry".
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
cmdrjones
Jedi Knight

Post by cmdrjones »

salm wrote:
Why would anything written by a moron in a tabloid rag be of importance?
And here we have folks the exact opposite of the appeal to authority
Terralthra wrote:It's similar to the Arabic word for "one who sows discord" or "one who crushes underfoot". It'd be like if the acronym for the some Tea Party thing was "DKBAG" or something. In one sense, it's just the acronym for ISIL/ISIS in Arabic: Dawlat (al-) Islāmiyya ‘Irāq Shām, but it's also an insult.
"Democratic Korps (of those who are) Beneficently Anti-Government"
Welf
Padawan Learner

Post by Welf »

cmdrjones wrote:I was going for the most obvious one and the event with the greatest long term consequences.... the last time Germany received a population movement like this was after WWII, but those were volksdeutch expelled from eastern and central europe.
Yeah the allies could be assholes too!
Not quite; they were Germans from the eastern states of Germany. Only a minor part was from Russia or other eastern/central European states.
cmdrjones
Jedi Knight

Post by cmdrjones »

Welf wrote:
cmdrjones wrote:I was going for the most obvious one and the event with the greatest long term consequences.... the last time Germany received a population movement like this was after WWII, but those were volksdeutch expelled from eastern and central europe.
Yeah the allies could be assholes too!
Not quite; they were Germans from the eastern states of Germany. Only a minor part was from Russia or other eastern/central European states.
OK what is NOW eastern europe... East Germany is traditionally regarded as the Central parts of Germany
Terralthra wrote:It's similar to the Arabic word for "one who sows discord" or "one who crushes underfoot". It'd be like if the acronym for the some Tea Party thing was "DKBAG" or something. In one sense, it's just the acronym for ISIL/ISIS in Arabic: Dawlat (al-) Islāmiyya ‘Irāq Shām, but it's also an insult.
"Democratic Korps (of those who are) Beneficently Anti-Government"
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-09-06/m ... on/6753842
European migrant crisis: Hundreds arrive to applause in Germany as Austria announces plan to phase out emergency measures

Another group of asylum seekers has streamed into Germany to cheers and "welcome" signs, as Austria announces it plans to phase out emergency measures that have allowed thousands who were stranded in Hungary to enter.

Key points:

Migrants arrive to applause, welcome signs as they arrive in Germany
Austrian chancellor says emergency measures will be phased out and calls for emergency European Union meeting to discuss solution
Pope calls on religious community to take in migrant families
The group has joined the thousands who have already arrived in what is the continent's worst refugee crisis since World War II.

Many are fleeing war in the Middle East and hope to take refuge in Germany, Europe's richest country, but the EU is divided over how to cope with the influx which has provoked both huge sympathy and anti-Muslim resentment among Europeans.

Austrian chancellor Werner Faymann said the decision to phase out the emergency measures, a day after the measures were put in place, followed "intensive talks" with German chancellor Angela Merkel and a telephone call with Hungarian prime minister Viktor Orban.

"We have always said this is an emergency situation in which we must act quickly and humanely. We have helped more than 12,000 people in an acute situation," he said.

"Now we have to move step-by-step away from emergency measures towards normality, in conformity with the law and dignity."

Warning: This story contains an image that may distress some readers.

Thousands of migrants and refugees arrived at Budapest's Keleti train station after travelling from Syria through the Balkans and Greece.

Hungary laid on over 100 buses to the border on Saturday night after Austria said it had agreed steps with Germany to waive the normal rules requiring refugees to apply for asylum wherever they enter the EU.

Others set off from the station to make the 170-kilometre journey on foot. The platforms filled up again on Sunday.

Bavarian authorities said 6,800 asylum seekers had arrived in the state's capital, Munich, on Saturday, and Sunday's total was about 13,000. Close to 11,000 are expected today.

In moving scenes, the newcomers, clutching their children and sparse belongings, stepped off trains in Munich, Frankfurt and elsewhere to cheers from well-wishers who held balloons, snapped photos and gave them water and food.

"The people here treat us so well, they treat us like real human beings, not like in Syria," said Mohammad, a 32-year-old from the devastated town of Qusayr.

"We are happy in Germany but we are very tired because it is very dangerous — one month Turkey and Greece," another said.

As asylum seekers got off trains, police directed them to waiting buses bound for temporary shelters, which have been set up in public buildings, hotels and army barracks across the country.

"Say it loud, say it clear, refugees are welcome here," crowds chanted at the Frankfurt railway station throughout Saturday night.

Germany has said it expects 800,000 asylum seekers this year at a cost of 10 billion euros ($16.1 billion) and urged EU members to open their doors.

While Germany has seen a spate of ugly xenophobic rallies and attacks against foreigners, it has also seen an outpouring of support, donations and volunteer efforts by people who believe the country, given its dark history and current wealth, has a special obligation to help refugees.

Meanwhile, Austrian authorities are continuing to send buses to the Hungarian border to collect more than 1,000 asylum seekers who have spent days stranded there.

While half of the migrants had shelter and camp beds, the rest were forced to sleep out in the open, the BBC reported.

Many were also treated by the Red Cross for various ailments, including exhaustion.

On Sunday they were being taken to reception centres, along with hundreds more who chose to travel from Budapest by train.

Asylum seekers Germany's problem: Hungary

Politicians in Germany and elsewhere in Europe voiced growing concern about the record numbers, and warned the influx would spell both logistical and political problems.

In Austria, chancellor Faymann said Vienna's assistance was a temporary manifestation of the nation's "goodwill" in the face of a humanitarian emergency.

"There is no alternative to a common European solution," he said, as he called for the EU meeting.

German chancellor Angela Merkel on Saturday spoke by phone with Hungary's prime minister Viktor Orban, who called the asylum seeker wave a "German problem" caused by Berlin's public statement saying it would welcome Syrians.

"Both sides agreed that both Hungary and Germany must meet their European obligations, including their obligations under the Dublin agreement," Ms Merkel's spokesman Georg Streiter said.

Under the EU's so-called Dublin rules, asylum applications must be processed by the country where a person first arrives.

Mr Orban and Ms Merkel agreed the weekend's influx was exceptional, due to the emergency situation in Budapest, Mr Streiter said.

Ms Merkel also faces political pressure at home, where her Bavarian sister party CSU criticised the eased travel rules as "a wrong decision", according to its party secretary Andreas Scheuer.

Members warned this had created "an additional pull-factor", aside from push factors such as war, poverty and repression in their home countries.

Ms Merkel was set to hold a crisis meeting on the refugee issue later on Sunday (local time) with her coalition partners.

Pope urges religious community to take in families

Hungary's and other eastern European nations' hard line is in contrast with a show of solidarity elsewhere in Europe.

Today Pope Francis, who is himself the grandson of Italian emigrants to Argentina, called for "every parish, every religious community, every monastery, [and] every sanctuary in Europe take in a family".

There are more than 25,000 parishes in Italy alone, and more than 12,000 in Germany.

The Vatican's two parishes will also take in a family of asylum seekers each in the coming days, Pope Francis said.

He said taking in migrant families was a "concrete gesture" to prepare for the extraordinary Holy Year on the theme of mercy which was due to begin in December

On Saturday, Finnish prime minister Juha Sipila also offered to put up asylum seeker families in his country home.

Under intensifying pressure at home and abroad, British prime minister David Cameron is set to admit 15,000 refugees from Syria, the Sunday Times reported.

European Commission president Jean-Claude Juncker proposed relocating 120,000 refugees from overstretched Italy, Greece and Hungary, a European source told AFP.

The plan, which comes on top of a Commission proposal in May for the relocation of 40,000 migrants, is expected to be formally unveiled by Mr Juncker on Wednesday after being approved by commissioners, the source said.

Germany's Welt am Sonntag newspaper reported that under the plan, Germany would take in about 31,000 people, followed by France with 24,000 and Spain with almost 15,000.

The political debate continued as rescuers in Cyprus saved 114 people, including 54 women and children, after their boat ran into trouble off the Mediterranean island, authorities said.

The boat was mainly carrying Syrian asylum seekers, but also some Lebanese and Palestinians from Syria, interior minister Socrates Hasikos said. He said there were no serious injuries.

Cyprus, a member of the European Union, lies just 100 kilometres off the Syrian coast but has so far avoided a mass influx of asylum seekers from the country's conflict.

'I said to myself: Dear God I hope he's alive'

On Saturday, the UN refugee agency UNHCR said 366,402 asylum seekers had crossed the Mediterranean to Europe this year, with 2,800 dying or going missing en route.

The crisis was personified on Wednesday when twelve refugees drowned after two boats sank on the short crossing to Greece, including three-year-old Syrian asylum seeker Aylan Kurdi.

Words cannot describe what a sad and tragic sight it was.
Mehmet Ciplak
A distressing photograph of the toddler's lifeless body, washed ashore in Bodrum in southwest Turkey, pricked the world's conscience.

Turkish police officer Mehmet Ciplak, who was pictured picking up the body said he thought of his own son when he saw the toddler on the beach.

"When I approached the baby, I said to myself, 'Dear God I hope he's alive.' But he showed no signs of life. I was crushed," he told Turkey's Dogan news agency.

"I have a six-year-old son. The moment I saw the baby, I thought about my own son and put myself into his father's place. Words cannot describe what a sad and tragic sight it was."

Aylan was buried on Friday in the Syrian town of Kobane, itself now a symbol of resistance by Syrian Kurds against Islamic State (IS) extremists.
Kudos to Germany for showing some leadership and humanity on the issue.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

cmdrjones wrote:
salm wrote:
Why would anything written by a moron in a tabloid rag be of importance?
And here we have folks the exact opposite of the appeal to authority
Why? You cite a source which is known to be crap. It´s a tabloid rag.
And if you read the article you can clearly see that it´s content doesn´t deviate from it´s ususal quality.

It´s like quoting Fred Phelps. Sure, you can do that, but nothing he´s got to say is of importance.

If you spout too much nonsense you´ll sooner or later lose credibility.
Tandrax218
Padawan Learner

Post by Tandrax218 »

Hmm

I find that people are a bit mislead by the western media in general.
Here we have a crisis in the middle east that is generating "refugees".
I dub these people refugees with "" "" because all of them are not REFUGEES.

A refugee is a person fleeing or leaving a war torn place or country to the first peaceful area. So if these were reffugees then they would go to turkey, or greece, bulgaria, izrael, cyprus...
But no. They all want to travel to Germany, Sweden, Uk and Norway. Why ? Because they can live there of welfare check alone.
The media reports that there are many women and children among them and you see the occasional kid with tears in their eyes... but !

I visited Belgrade in Serbia 2 weeks a go and spent a week there. Arriving at the train station i saw that it was full of people of different skin color than usual ( don't label me as racist I'm just saying what i saw... ). As i exited the train station i found that there are hundreds of people sleeping around it and after i talked to my host i got the information that they are all here for 5 days because that's the time that takes for the bank to process and transfer funds from their accounts in Xystan, Syria, Iraq to European currency - Euros. Then they all board trains and go for Germany. The thing is most ( i mean like 80%) of them are strong army aged males in their 18-25-40, and there are almost no children with them. I saw only 2 families waiting for the bank thing there and they had 3-4 kids.

Now if these people were all refugees fleeing their country's wouldn't they be usualy flat broke with only their bare essential with them ? I remember way back when Yugoslavia was ravaged by war people fleeing Croatia were lucky to pass the border to Slovenia, Austria, or Hungary, No one talked about Germany or Sweden and sure as hell no one stayed somewhere while additional $$ were transferred to them.

I think these people are Migrants and that this whole crisis is intentional, purposely orchestrated by USA, Saudi Arabia And Germany all for the benefit of making Europe less homogeneous in the long run and undermining the cultures there by introducing Islam that the migrants bring with them.

Oh and you can bet your ball's on that at least 10 % of the guys traveling are Isis or other fundamentalist terrorist sleeper agents. So you can expect radical things in the future from European Muslims.

The worst hit for now are Serbia, Macedonia, Greece and all the country's bordering the Eu. People are afraid, you can feel the rise of right wing tendencies among the people. I think its a weird and critical time in Europe at the moment. I know that Eu country should extend and take as much REFUGEES as possible, but only REAL refugees, not some freeloaders that just got on for the ride and want a free pay check in Germany or Sweden.
Oh and i just remembered, there were talks about some children trafficking going on inside the migrant wave because a lot of kids age 2-10 are not with their parents, there have been remarks and fears that these kids are drugged ( there was a photo from the Budapest train station riot a few days ago, anyway 100 migrants wanted to pass the police barricade and some were carrying children that were seemingly SLEEPING on their shoulder in the midst of the riots... Weird would you not say ? ) and taken as victims abroad. Yet no one talks about this.

My view as an European is that this crisis was brought by the actor that i mentioned before and they should clean up the mess and take some of the refuges.
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

This "Oh noes, al1 0f them R m3N" nonsense is getting tiresome. It´s trivially easy to look up why there are so many men. Also, what´s wrong with men? Why shouldn´t they flee?

The next complaint is actually a bit funny. Why do are they not dirt poor (have phone/GPS/fancy headphones/some other luxury)? And in almost the same sentance you claim that they are only fleeing for monetary purposes.

Your definition is also a bit strange. Why would a refugee stop being a refugee after arriving at the next bordering country?

And what is wrong with waiting for money? Why should they not wait for money if they have money at home? Should they burn their money before they leave or something? If you had to flee your country would you go to the bank first pick up all your savings and toss it into the fire?

And of course it´s at 10% ISIS. What other arbitrary number could it possibly be if not 10? 12? 8? Absurd. It´s got to be 10.

P.S.: Did you know that when they wait for their "money transfer" they are actually recieving nanobots from ISIS via cable. These nanobots take 5 days to hatch so they have to wait a while before they can release them into the water reserves.
Last edited by salm on 2015-09-07 01:19pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Cameron has pledged the UK to take 20 thousand over five years. From camps near Syria not people who have escaped to Europe already.

Anyway you slice it that's a pittance compared to 800 thousand in one year.
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

I just thought I'd save this for prosperity, handy little interactive info-graphic on where refugees settle depending on their point of origin; http://pejl.svt.se/flyktingstrommar-en/
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Tandrax218
Padawan Learner

Post by Tandrax218 »

lol

Why not stay and fight Isis if you have the strength and youth.
Why not take the whole family or at least sisters and mothers ?? You don't find this strange ?? hmmm...

As for the bank thing, if your fleeing your country is it not logical to take ALL your money while you are still there and once you have all your cash then head out into the great unknown ? At least i would do that.
Oh don't get the 10 % argument, i just said it as a figure of speech, even if it were 1% on 700k immigrant's that's still 700 isis guys in Europe.
I'm saying this is/will happen

On the definition : Dude if your running for your bear life than any place is good and usually its the 1. free and peaceful place you find. You don't go traveling 6k km just because your a refugee

If you had a chance to work hard for a wage at home or get a wage and not work in Europe would you stay at home?

Why not travel all the way to America the land of the free, democracy and "liberties" ?? Oh yeah there are no social benefits and you cant get a free $$ there ...
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Tandrax218 wrote:lol

Why not take the whole family or at least sisters and mothers ?? You don't find this strange ?? hmmm...

As for the bank thing, if your fleeing your country is it not logical to take ALL your money while you are still there and once you have all your cash then head out into the great unknown ? At least i would do that.
Oh don't get the 10 % argument, i just said it as a figure of speech, even if it were 1% on 700k immigrant's that's still 700 isis guys in Europe.

On the definition : Dude if your running for your bear life than any place is good and usually its the 1. free and peaceful place you find. You don't go traveling 6k km just because your a refugee

If you had a chance to work hard for a wage at home or get a wage and not work in Europe would you stay at home?

Why not travel all the way to America the land of the free, democracy and "liberties" ?? Oh yeah there are no social benefits and you cant get a free $$ there ...
You're a particularly narrow-minded, apathetic little twat aren't you? How's the view from that ivory tower?
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Tandrax218
Padawan Learner

Post by Tandrax218 »

Now why the harsh language ?

I'm neither narrow-minded nor apathetic. As for the third remark go talk to your mom like that if that the sum of your social level and interaction.

Neither do i live in an Ivory tower.

I just wanted to say what i saw and what I'm experiencing here in my home. And that there are some things that just don't add up.
I have seen people fleeing their homes with their loved ones and i know how things look in a war torn state.
These events that are unfolding presently do not add up.

My view and my opinion.

If you disagree then say something constructive and shape it in debate that might broaden both of our perspectives.
Or don't

But leave the manners of a uneducated fool at home, i don't like that kind of tone.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Tandrax218 wrote:A refugee is a person fleeing or leaving a war torn place or country to the first peaceful area. So if these were reffugees then they would go to turkey, or greece, bulgaria, izrael, cyprus...
Actually, they are going to those places. In numbers greater than Turkey, Greece (you know, the bankrupt country with the dysfunctional economy?), Bulgaria, Cyprus, etc can comfortably handle. Frankly, I don't get this fixation that refugees are required to stop at the first “safe” (however you define that) country they set foot in. Well, I suppose it's a way to make sure the problem belongs to someone else.

I'm glad my refugee ancestors didn't accept that line of thought. When my paternal grandparents fled Russia they didn't stop until they got to St. Louis. The relatives that stopped in Warsaw, Poland thought they were crazy to run that far, but 40 years later it turned out dad's family made the better long-term choice.
Tandrax218 wrote:But no. They all want to travel to Germany, Sweden, Uk and Norway. Why ? Because they can live there of welfare check alone.
So, explain the 135,000 Syrians that have applied for refugee or asylum status in the US since January. Refugees don't get a welfare check in the US, they get a work authorization and are told to find a job ASAP. Gee, maybe it's not all about free money?
Tandrax218 wrote:The thing is most ( i mean like 80%) of them are strong army aged males in their 18-25-40, and there are almost no children with them. I saw only 2 families waiting for the bank thing there and they had 3-4 kids.
Same reason there were a heck of a lot more “Lost Boys of Sudan” than “Lost Girls of Sudan”. Fighting-age, fit men have survival advantages in a war zone. Women, children, and the elderly do not.
Tandrax218 wrote:Now if these people were all refugees fleeing their country's wouldn't they be usualy flat broke with only their bare essential with them ?
Um... why?

My Russian relatives smuggled what small, valuable, portable objects they could to fund their journey and start a new life here. I'm pretty sure the Irish side of the family did, too. If you have money or portable valuables why wouldn't you take them with you? Is it a bad thing if newcomers come with some money?
Tandrax218 wrote:No one talked about Germany or Sweden and sure as hell no one stayed somewhere while additional $$ were transferred to them.
You want them to leave their money behind for ISIS or Assad to seize? Have you thought this through?
Tandrax218 wrote:I think these people are Migrants and that this whole crisis is intentional, purposely orchestrated by USA, Saudi Arabia And Germany all for the benefit of making Europe less homogeneous in the long run and undermining the cultures there by introducing Islam that the migrants bring with them.
That's pretty damn funny.

Well, OK – Saudi Arabia does have a vested interest in spreading Islam, except the Syrians et el who are fleeing are a different sort of Muslim than they are. But why would Germany have an interest in “undermining the cultures” of Europe? What makes you think the US gives a fuck how homogeneous Europe is or isn't?
Tandrax218 wrote:Oh and you can bet your ball's on that at least 10 % of the guys traveling are Isis or other fundamentalist terrorist sleeper agents. So you can expect radical things in the future from European Muslims.
ISIS has the means and money to send agents in as tourists, and it's recruiting from the native populations of the nations it views as enemies. Is anyone panicking like this over tourists?
Tandrax218 wrote:Oh and i just remembered, there were talks about some children trafficking going on inside the migrant wave because a lot of kids age 2-10 are not with their parents, there have been remarks and fears that these kids are drugged ( there was a photo from the Budapest train station riot a few days ago, anyway 100 migrants wanted to pass the police barricade and some were carrying children that were seemingly SLEEPING on their shoulder in the midst of the riots... Weird would you not say ? ) and taken as victims abroad. Yet no one talks about this.
You've never actually taken care of a child before, have you?

When children are exhausted enough they'll sleep regardless of what's going on around them. Rather like adults, when you get down to it. You have no way of knowing how long those kids had been awake before falling asleep.

No one talks about this because those of us who have actually taken care of young children already know that.

Now, if EVERY child in a crowd is passed-out asleep yes, that would look very odd... but only some were. Which is normal under such circumstances.
Tandrax218 wrote:My view as an European is that this crisis was brought by the actor that i mentioned before and they should clean up the mess and take some of the refuges.
Which actor is that? Germany? They're taking in 800,000 this year, more than anyone else. Saudi Arabia? Granted, those bastards don't seem to be taking anymore so you have a point there, and it would be an improvement if they stopped funding fundy Islam. The US? Haven't US attempts to “fix” things done enough damage? It wasn't that long ago people on this board were hoping the US would stay out of Syria. In any case, as I've already said, the US is reviewing its rules on Syrian refugees to see about taking in some of those 135,000 who have applied to come here..

But please, by all means, describe in detail how the US should go about “fixing” this problem. Then e-mail it to the White House, I'm sure the US would like to have a plan that works and that makes them smell like roses instead of ass.
salm wrote:This "Oh noes, al1 0f them R m3N" nonsense is getting tiresome. It´s trivially easy to look up why there are so many men. Also, what´s wrong with men? Why shouldn´t they flee?
Men should fight and die for their country, right or wrong, the pansy cowards! [/sarcasm]
salm wrote:Your definition is also a bit strange. Why would a refugee stop being a refugee after arriving at the next bordering country?
Because that makes it somebody else's problem and he doesn't have to worry his pretty little head about it.
salm wrote:And what is wrong with waiting for money? Why should they not wait for money if they have money at home? Should they burn their money before they leave or something? If you had to flee your country would you go to the bank first pick up all your savings and toss it into the fire?
^ This.
Crazedwraith wrote:Cameron has pledged the UK to take 20 thousand over five years. From camps near Syria not people who have escaped to Europe already.

Anyway you slice it that's a pittance compared to 800 thousand in one year.
Yes, but it is a start. That's 20,000 that the overburdened southern coast of Europe doesn't have to deal with. It also cuts down on the number of people attempting a very long and hazardous journey.

I wouldn't discard a pittance of help in this situation, enough pittance from enough places and you'll actually have a dent in the problem.

I'll have to write my representatives to light a fire under their asses about my country taking in some of these folks. We have the room for a few more tens of thousands here, too.

And great interactive, Crown, I think I'll pass that one around.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

One very important thing to note. There's no such thing as a moderate faction for any moderate to fight for any longer. They have the option of either joining Assad, who is quite a horrible leader, or accepting Isis/other Islamic rebel group.

Perhaps a majority of people in Syria aren't interested in joining a fight between two nasty faction? It's not a war where you can distinguish the 'good' guys from the bad guys.

In addition, the big problem is the refugees are now trying to get out of refugee camps because those camps are now running out of money. So staying in Turkey is increasingly becoming hard for them.
Even in European countries like Hungary, those governments aren't able to cope with so a huge influx of people. This has led to conflict with the refugees who feel that they cannot trust those government, even if they are safe from immediate death.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Tandrax218 wrote:Why not stay and fight Isis if you have the strength and youth.
Cause getting maimed or killed sucks?
You know that guy who is the father of the drowned toddler everyone has seen by now? He did take his wife and kids. They got into a bad spot. Everyone died but the man. Why? Because men are physically stronger than women and children. It really does given them a survival advantage.

Are you done beating the dead horse yet?
Gee, I dunno – you don't want to tip off authorities who don't want you leaving that you have travel plans? You were in imminent danger of death in the middle of the night and couldn't wait around for the banks to open in the morning? You have a cell phone, so you can run now and transfer your funds later when you're physically safe?

Of course, I do have an advantage here – I am a descendant of refugees and grew up on the stories of why and how they fled. Maybe your relatives weren't so unfortunate, but I'm pretty sure that faced with the same situation I might have an advantage over you even if I am female and over 50 simply because I've thought about shit like this and you haven't.
Guess what. I am certain you already have “700 ISIS guys” in Europe. Keeping out the refugees won't solve that problem.
Why not?

The Irish in my family did exactly, and in the 19th Century on top of that! 6,200 km from County Cork, Ireland to St. Louis, Missouri. Grandpa Rausch traveled 7,400 km from Germany to St. Louis – alright, maybe he doesn't meet your definition of “refugee”, he never discussed why he stowed away on a boat, could be anything, right? The Russians traveled 7,800 km from the St. Petersberg, Russia area to St. Louis, Missouri.

Gee, you MIGHT look into what actual refugees do instead of pulling guesses out of your ass.

Tell me, if you're fleeing a burning building to you stop a meter past the front door or do you keep running the hell away, as far as you can go?
Well, when there isn't a war on most of these people do seem to elect to stay home and work hard.
135,000 refugee applicants since January, and counting...

Actually, refugees who qualify ARE open to the same aid as citizens, meaning if they are low income they get food stamps and pregnant women, infants, and toddlers get WIC benefits (which is not speculation on my part – I process WIC purchases as part of my job, we do get refugees. How do I know they're refugees? Sometimes they're with someone volunteering to translate for a new arrival, or they tell me. You have to show an ID to use a WIC voucher, and someone not familiar with the Latin alphabet might simply hand me their stack of ID's and let me find the right one, which means I get to see their documentation about their immigration/citizen status. Yes, this has happened more than once.) They get emergency medical care at the ER, and if they or their children qualify they can get state medical benefits. The social safety net is pretty scanty here, that is true, but legal refugees are treated as well or as badly as our own citizens. Unlike a lot of places we also allow them to get a job. In fact, we expect that they do so. Granted, that is easier here because, even if we find our unemployment rate to be higher than we like, jobs are more available here than some other places.

Also, if they speak English at all they might prefer a new country that uses that language. And the US may be perceived to be more welcoming and safer for newcomers than some other places. I have no doubt that if the US said "We're willing to take half a million Syrians this year" we'd have no problem filling all the slots.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Tandrax218 wrote:Now why the harsh language ?
Because you ARE a particularly narrow-minded apathetic twat.
I just wanted to say what i saw and what I'm experiencing here in my home. And that there are some things that just don't add up.
What you've seen on TV, you mean? And educate yourself to reality, some of the mysteries will suddenly add up for you.
But leave the manners of a uneducated fool at home, i don't like that kind of tone.
Put your big boy pants on – we don't have a problem with hard language here.

Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Tandrax218 wrote:Now why the harsh language ?
Because if there's one thing that pisses me off, it's people in their comfortable little lives throwing down shit on those who have endured hardship of the sort that gives them no other option than to flee their own country.
I'm neither narrow-minded nor apathetic.
The sum total of your posting in this thread leads me to believe otherwise. You want me to believe you? Then show a little fucking humanity and critical thinking.
As for the third remark go talk to your mom like that if that the sum of your social level and interaction.
Hah, funny thing - I think you and my mother would get on just fine. Now there's a twisted old hag if ever I met one.
Neither do i live in an Ivory tower.
Then stop coming across as someone who does, and revels in it.
I have seen people fleeing their homes with their loved ones and i know how things look in a war torn state.
These events that are unfolding presently do not add up.
War + unrest = mass migration of people who have no wish to be involved in the conflict and see no other choice than to up roots and leave. If you think every situation is exactly the same as the one you (apparently) witnessed, then you need to do more research.
My view and my opinion.
Both of which make you look like a cunt. OH NO! I dropped a C-bomb!
If you disagree then say something constructive and shape it in debate that might broaden both of our perspectives.
Or don't

If you don't like the 'tone', grow some empathy glands, report me to the mods, or ignore me. I will not be shifting it one iota for morons like you.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Damn. I never knew this whole crisis was a devious plot by Germany to make Europe less homogeneous. Goodness me. What a turn of events, especially since Germany pretended migration did not exist until a few years ago. Must have all been part of a cunning plan. #Milosevicdidnothingwrong.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Tandrax218 wrote:lol
Because not everybody has the balls of steel you are apparently equipped with.
This shows that you have not researched the topic very much. If you had you´d know that main reason for this in case of the Syrians is that they do take the whole family. But only to a close safe country such Turkey. From there one person (because it´s cheaper) usually the male (stronger) move on to Germany/Austria/Wherever tries to get asylum and then brings in the rest of the family.
This bank thing is the first time I´ve heard about but it seems logical that you´d take all your money, bring it to Turkey, open a bank account there or leave it with your wife and kids and then go on the long trek to Europe. Once in a while you recieve money via Western Union or something like that.
So what? They can bring in terrorists without there being refugess as well. Don´t be a fucking pussy and let yourself get scared by some fuck nuts with bombs. We´ve allways lived with terrorists and we´ll allways live with terrorists in the future. It not a big threat. Traffic is a threat. Terrorism is not.
Nonsense. Refugees go all over the world. And that is good. Or else they´d all go to Turkey and other bordering countries.
I have the chance to work hard for a wage and I have the chance to not work in Europe. I chose to work in Europe. A lot of refugees want to work. They´re not allowed to work in some cases. This is also an argument regurairly brought up by the dumbest of the dumbest.
In some cases paired with "they take our jobs". So the refugees are here to free load by doing nothing while stealing our jobs (and of course women).

I personally know (grew up with and studied with) a couple of refugees who are now scientists and interestingly a prison warden. They work, they increase the gross national product. They´re great. Some others didn´t make it and sadly ended up in the gutter and on welfare. You may guess which of these two groups is the happier one.
Another thing that should be obvious. It´s more difficult and more expensive and Obama made it clear that they won´t let them in.
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Thanas wrote:Damn. I never knew this whole crisis was a devious plot by Germany to make Europe less homogeneous. Goodness me. What a turn of events, especially since Germany pretended migration did not exist until a few years ago. Must have all been part of a cunning plan. #Milosevicdidnothingwrong.
I´ve read seen this conspiracy theory a couple of times in the last couple of days. I was pretty surprised. I guess I shouldn´t be since there´s idocy like this moon hoax, hollow earth, Erich von Däneken nonsense all over the place but still. It´s weird to see it in such a high frequency.
Welf
Padawan Learner

Post by Welf »

salm wrote:
Thanas wrote:Damn. I never knew this whole crisis was a devious plot by Germany to make Europe less homogeneous. Goodness me. What a turn of events, especially since Germany pretended migration did not exist until a few years ago. Must have all been part of a cunning plan. #Milosevicdidnothingwrong.
I´ve read seen this conspiracy theory a couple of times in the last couple of days. I was pretty surprised. I guess I shouldn´t be since there´s idocy like this moon hoax, hollow earth, Erich von Däneken nonsense all over the place but still. It´s weird to see it in such a high frequency.
You just can't win this shit. You go to war with Russia? Everybody whines. You don't go to war with Russia*? Everybody whines. You put people in concentration camps? Everybody whines. You don't put people in concentration camps? Everybody whines. Mixed signals. :?
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Welf wrote:
salm wrote:
You just can't win this shit. You go to war with Russia? Everybody whines. You don't go to war with Russia*? Everybody whines. You put people in concentration camps? Everybody whines. You don't put people in concentration camps? Everybody whines. Mixed signals. :?
We should just do this internally. Bavaria goes to war with Saxony, Saarland rapes Baden-Württemberg, Brandenburg steals Schleswig Holsteins women, Mallorca pillages Mecklenburg Vorpommern and Hesse serves Äbbelwoi to everybody else. Ann Sophie: Zero points.
Welf
Padawan Learner

Post by Welf »

salm wrote:We should just do this internally. Bavaria goes to war with Saxony, Saarland rapes Baden-Württemberg, Brandenburg steals Schleswig Holsteins women, Mallorca pillages Mecklenburg Vorpommern and Hesse serves Äbbelwoi to everybody else. Ann Sophie: Zero points.
Yes, like in the good old times of the Holy Roman Empire. Germany was quite popular back then.
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Yeah, Ralph Siegel even won the ESC with "Ein bisschen Frieden" back then. I´m telling you, history repeats itself.