Monochromaticism.

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Stormbringer wrote:I have a question for you Ando, what would you like to have been done? Not in the idealized world, but in the real world.
How about - and this will be a fucking astounding suggestion to some of you, now that a war IS underway, that when its finished, as it inevitably will be and Saddam removed from power or "disappeared". Why not, when it is all finished have some truly free and fair elections? How about implenting a Westminister system of government so the fighting can be done in the house of reps, not in the streets? How about America not turn it into a territory or satellite state as I fear the result will be.

I don't subscribe to Bush's domino theory, but I think that having a democratically elected government that is representative of the peoples wishes would be a good fucking thing.

And please, feel free to tell me exactly why that wouldn't work without the use of the words:

Islamofascists, al'Qaeda and "hatred of everything that is good, free and American".
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

Durran Korr wrote:
Alyrium Denryle wrote:
Shinova wrote:Liberating and then just leaving leaves the field open for anyone to take control of Iraq. If we appoint a leader, then fine but we'll still have a war-torn Iraq.

Look what happened in Afghanistan. The US took out the Taliban, appointed the leader, left, and apparently "forgot" to give aid to the Afghan government. Now that country's in a state of chaos and disarray.

We will have to help rebuild Iraq, so we can't just up and leave once Saddam and the likes of him are removed. After all, we started the war, now we help rebuild after things settle down.

Once Iraq's back up to speed, then I'm all for handing complete control of the country back to the Iraqi people.
But that will probably not happen They will end uplke Peurto Rico. A US territory. We will probably take oer their oil supplies. Sure they will be abe to pick their government, but we will be calling the shots...fucked up(pure speculation, but it has happened in the past)
As the State Department has repeatedly stated, the Iraqi oil reserves will be transferred to the new government and used to finance the reconstruction of Iraq.
But how true is that? I am not disutng the oil being turned over the the new iraqi gv...But what will ths gov consist of? I dont trust the current admin in the least
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Queeb Salaron
Jedi Council Member

Post by Queeb Salaron »

Here's what I want to have happen:

Sadaam is assasinated. Plain and simple. We won't say that we did it, the Brittish won't own up to it, and there will be some fabricated story about a renegade soldier who flipped out, shot Sadaam, and became an international hero before he was shot by a bodyguard. No evidence, no loose ends, just simple "wag-the-dog" type stuff.

The US PULLS THE FUCK OUT OF THE MIDDLE EAST! I'm not just talking about Iraq, I'm talking about Israel, Afghanistan, Kuwait and Iran, too. I'm talking about ending Middle-Eastern terrorism by cutting off their weapons supply source: The USA. I'm talking about NOT installing a new regime in Iraq after we get rid of Sadaam, because there is more than one Iraqi who is ready and willing to take over that country and install some form of legitimate government. Were we to install a new regime, we'd have a situation like we had in Iran in the 1950's, and we all know how that worked out.

Now if you want to call that a victory for the USA, then fine. Do so. But it's more of a victory for those "countries full of little brown people" (Robin Williams) because now they are free to truly live the way they want to live, and would gain control of their own exports. They have gained liberation, albeit at the hands of the US.

My two cents.
Proud owner of The Fleshlight
G.A.L.E. Force - Bisexual Airborn Division
SDnet Resident Psycho Clown

"I hear and behold God in every object, yet I understand God not in the least, / Nor do I understand who there can be more wonderful than myself."
--Whitman

Fucking Funny.
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

weemadando wrote:
Stormbringer wrote:I have a question for you Ando, what would you like to have been done? Not in the idealized world, but in the real world.
How about - and this will be a fucking astounding suggestion to some of you, now that a war IS underway, that when its finished, as it inevitably will be and Saddam removed from power or "disappeared". Why not, when it is all finished have some truly free and fair elections? How about implenting a Westminister system of government so the fighting can be done in the house of reps, not in the streets? How about America not turn it into a territory or satellite state as I fear the result will be.

I don't subscribe to Bush's domino theory, but I think that having a democratically elected government that is representative of the peoples wishes would be a good fucking thing.

And please, feel free to tell me exactly why that wouldn't work without the use of the words:

Islamofascists, al'Qaeda and "hatred of everything that is good, free and American".
I presume our lack of democracy in the coming years will be becuase we dont want the uber rightwings in power - similar to why we back saudi without elections, so their terrorists dont become the power.
This day is Fantastic!
Myers Briggs: ENTJ
Political Compass: -3/-6
DOOMer WoW
"I really hate it when the guy you were pegging as Mr. Worst Case starts saying, "Oh, I was wrong, it's going to be much worse." " - Adrian Laguna
Shinova
Emperor's Hand

Post by Shinova »

Durran Korr wrote: As the State Department has repeatedly stated, the Iraqi oil reserves will be transferred to the new government and used to finance the reconstruction of Iraq.
And if the US gov doesn't follow through with that promise, then there goes a big portion of my support for the administration. And I bet a whole lot of other US citizens and people around the world would be extremely pissed too.

While I support taking out Saddam, I don't like Bush's overly aggressive approach. I would've done more to find the connections the three main opposers to the war (France, Germany, and Russia) have with Iraq, and use that info to more or less blackmail the three countries into.....oh wait, that's just as bad, ain't it. :D
What's her bust size!?

It's over NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAND!!!!!!!!!
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

heh. realpolitik for you.
This day is Fantastic!
DOOMer WoW
"I really hate it when the guy you were pegging as Mr. Worst Case starts saying, "Oh, I was wrong, it's going to be much worse." " - Adrian Laguna
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

But how true is that? I am not disutng the oil being turned over the the new iraqi gv...But what will ths gov consist of? I dont trust the current admin in the least
In any case, I find it much more reasonable to put trust in a high-profile, very public committment made over and over again by the State Department than I do in wild speculation. I don't think there is enough evidence to suggest that oil is the real goal of this war (if the U.S. was solely interested in oil, we would have seized the Kuwaiti reserves 10 years ago).

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

and attacking saudi now. heh.
This day is Fantastic!
DOOMer WoW
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

Shinova wrote:
Durran Korr wrote: As the State Department has repeatedly stated, the Iraqi oil reserves will be transferred to the new government and used to finance the reconstruction of Iraq.
And if the US gov doesn't follow through with that promise, then there goes a big portion of my support for the administration. And I bet a whole lot of other US citizens and people around the world would be extremely pissed too.

While I support taking out Saddam, I don't like Bush's overly aggressive approach. I would've done more to find the connections the three main opposers to the war (France, Germany, and Russia) have with Iraq, and use that info to more or less blackmail the three countries into.....oh wait, that's just as bad, ain't it. :D
And it isn't just the U.S. government, in any case, Blair has also made this statement repeatedly.

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

Queeb Salaron wrote:Here's what I want to have happen:

Sadaam is assasinated. Plain and simple. We won't say that we did it, the Brittish won't own up to it, and there will be some fabricated story about a renegade soldier who flipped out, shot Sadaam, and became an international hero before he was shot by a bodyguard. No evidence, no loose ends, just simple "wag-the-dog" type stuff.

The US PULLS THE FUCK OUT OF THE MIDDLE EAST! I'm not just talking about Iraq, I'm talking about Israel, Afghanistan, Kuwait and Iran, too. I'm talking about ending Middle-Eastern terrorism by cutting off their weapons supply source: The USA. I'm talking about NOT installing a new regime in Iraq after we get rid of Sadaam, because there is more than one Iraqi who is ready and willing to take over that country and install some form of legitimate government. Were we to install a new regime, we'd have a situation like we had in Iran in the 1950's, and we all know how that worked out.

Now if you want to call that a victory for the USA, then fine. Do so. But it's more of a victory for those "countries full of little brown people" (Robin Williams) because now they are free to truly live the way they want to live, and would gain control of their own exports. They have gained liberation, albeit at the hands of the US.

My two cents.
good yougling, smart youngling
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

I've got to agreee with you. I think we should after a fairly administerd interim government allow the to have elections and then turn the country over to them.

I do worry about the possibility that we'll pull and Afghanistan and make just token repairs and move on. And I worry about the vassal state thing as well. But then again I'm sure if a freely elected government does turn out to be US-friendly, every last country will be screaming "Imperialism"!
Democracy is no guarentee of things turning out well.

There is the possibility that they will choose to elect a taliban-esque government. They might be the most secular population in the Middle East but that isn't saying much. The region is riddled with Muslim fundamentalists. And that'll be a major problem if they get elected.
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

Amen to that...and pull out of S. Korea, Japan, and Europe while we're at it.

Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

And Ando, I'd still like to hear what you would have done as opposed to what Bush did. Because out of all the peace protestors I've heard, none have ever had a workable fix for the situation as it was in Iraq.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

It'd be really funny if a democracy is instituted and it's a perfect representation of the democratic ideal- and they elect Saddam.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

Durran Korr wrote:
why?
This day is Fantastic!
DOOMer WoW
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

Enforcer Talen wrote:
Durran Korr wrote:
why?
Because they're all rich enough to defend themselves.

Queeb Salaron
Jedi Council Member

Post by Queeb Salaron »

Alyrium Denryle wrote:
Durran Korr wrote:
Alyrium Denryle wrote: But that will probably not happen They will end uplke Peurto Rico. A US territory. We will probably take oer their oil supplies. Sure they will be abe to pick their government, but we will be calling the shots...fucked up(pure speculation, but it has happened in the past)
As the State Department has repeatedly stated, the Iraqi oil reserves will be transferred to the new government and used to finance the reconstruction of Iraq.
What will the government consist of? An American-sympathetic council or leader with very loose oil-trading policies. And what does that government do with the oil that has been rightly turned back into their hands? Sell it to Americans. Cheap. WICKED cheap. (Excuse the Bostonism.) Meantime, the USA offers protection as reciprocation, but seeing as a good chunk of the Middle East has already allied itself with the USA, there's hardly anyone to protect Iraq from. Besides, most non-Arab, non-US-allied countries have the technological capacity of a sweaty nutsack and would never be able to penetrate US-funded defenses. But so long as we're lining Iraqi pockets with bullets and guns (and only a little bit of money and food) they'll give us our oil cheap.

That might as well have been in Bush's campaign when he started running. The whole nation saw this coming.

My government disgusts me. But at very least it protects my right to say so.
Proud owner of The Fleshlight
G.A.L.E. Force - Bisexual Airborn Division
SDnet Resident Psycho Clown

"I hear and behold God in every object, yet I understand God not in the least, / Nor do I understand who there can be more wonderful than myself."
--Whitman

Fucking Funny.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Stormbringer wrote:
There is the possibility that they will choose to elect a taliban-esque government. They might be the most secular population in the Middle East but that isn't saying much. The region is riddled with Muslim fundamentalists. And that'll be a major problem if they get elected.
And America has how many redneck Southern Baptist sons of bitches in power who believe in creationism?
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

weemadando wrote:
Stormbringer wrote:There is the possibility that they will choose to elect a taliban-esque government. They might be the most secular population in the Middle East but that isn't saying much. The region is riddled with Muslim fundamentalists. And that'll be a major problem if they get elected.
And America has how many redneck Southern Baptist sons of bitches in power who believe in creationism?
Cut the shit. That's a red herring and you know it.

Those Muslims wackos would kill you as readly as any American and never give a damn that you're anti-war. It those guys are elected (and there's a chance they will) then we have a major problem. I have no idea how it would or should be dealt with. That's a problem, I'm willing to bet you don't have a solution to.

You strike me the same as most of the anti-war crowd. Against just about everything but no solution to the problems.
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

And you still haven't answered my question as to what you would have done about the Iraq situation in the first place.
Spyder
Sith Marauder

Post by Spyder »

If you occupy a nation and refuse to let them be lead by who the majority want to be lead by then it's hardly a liberation is it?
:D
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

course, if the majority would throw themselves back into the situation we just paid 90 billion to get them out of, it's not much good either?

a nice little occupation for a few years, and then let them loose.
This day is Fantastic!
DOOMer WoW
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Spyder wrote:If you occupy a nation and refuse to let them be lead by who the majority want to be lead by then it's hardly a liberation is it?
But it wouldn't be any liberation either if we handed it off to a bunch of religious shitheads hell bent on oppressing and/or killing every the disagree with them.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Stormbringer wrote:And Ando, I'd still like to hear what you would have done as opposed to what Bush did. Because out of all the peace protestors I've heard, none have ever had a workable fix for the situation as it was in Iraq.
What would I have done?

a) Continued inspections and bought the governments assistance and the peoples opinion through increased trade grants etc.

-likely outcome isn't good, look at how much food goes into NK, but what happens if we have the UN distributing food, medical supplies etc? Not just sending it to the government for distribution. One might argue that a Somalia type situation might occur with the "leaders" taking control. But would Saddam really risk pissing off the UN that way? Somalia was a fuck up from day one. Here would have been a chance to learn from the mistakes and continue onwards.

b) Continued inspections and pressure upon Saddam for truly fair elections.

-doubtful.

c) Continued inspections, food and supply distribution by UN, pressure upon Saddam for fair elections. NO pressure from nations who are war mongering. Leave it up to the UN to show that it truly is in good faith, not just seeking an excuse. Get rid of the food for oil system and actually treat the nation and its people with some respect.

- most potential of all, but would actually require nations to work together.

d) Stop inspections, stop food deliveries and the oil exports. Complete economic and diplomatic isolation.

- the most stupid idea of all. Just gives Saddam more fodder.

I'm sure given more than 10 minutes I could come up with some far better ideas.
Axis Kast
Vympel's Bitch

Post by Axis Kast »

The Iraqi government will first re-nationalize and then re-privatize. That much is already certain. Interestingly enough, Bush has probably already guaranteed Putin that Russia will keep most of its claims. The French are really the only major losers (though the Dutch and Vietnamese take some hits) - and even they will keep a small bit.

As for assassinating Saddam and letting just anyone take over? Bad idea. We're looking at either another military coup or some kind of "retribution" government (ie, Shiites vs. Sunnis) in that case.

At this point, we've got to lay down a temporary occupation and put our hand in the pie. It's either that or face a further breakdown of the situation and invite new and very active opposition to American foreign policy from now until Doomsday.