Trump/Republican Coup Thread

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Re: Trump/Republican Coup Thread

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

After a quick glance at BBC News website on this mess, you have the National Guard being called in (apparently at Trump's request, while he's tweeting to stay peaceful because "WE are the Party of Law and Order"), intrudres breaking in to the Senate chamber, police/security guys barricading a door and drawing sidearms, and Pence saying he won't block certification of Biden's win.

Fucking hell, I thought the UK politics shitshow was bad.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

To add to the insanity, from a BBC News update just now:

1. Some protesters have set up a gallows, complete with noose, int he park outside the Capitol.

2. At least one protestor is making himself at home in the Speaker's office.

3. Biden has said in an address from WIlmington: "It's not a protest, it's an insurrection,"

4. Armed protestors are marching through the halls and apparently at least one woman has been shot.

5. And this little gem: "All we want is for the Capitol police to stand down, and surrender the building to us," says one man to news cameras, as he is filmed by other Trump supporters.

Seriously, WTF America?
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Solauren wrote: 2021-01-06 03:59pm Oh look, they're on camera without masks on!

So, in addition to now being identifiable for arrest, they're also probably getting infected with Covid-19. Expect a spike in cases in Washington.
Spike in DC, and in Every Single Town these numbnuts came from.
*sigh* Some are WVian, I'm sure. :(
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

The Infidel wrote: 2021-01-05 06:28pm
Batman wrote: 2021-01-05 05:49pm Oh this is definitely an attempted coup. Thankfully it is being attempted by the most inept wannabe-dictator in history.
An attempted coup? That's treason, right?
What's the punishment for treason in the US?
Death.

The bar to convict for treason is very high, it has happened rarely but the penalty is, in fact, death.

The maximum penalty is not always imposed, but it is very much on the table.
GuppyShark wrote: 2021-01-06 01:38pm Coup is doomed. McConnel and Pence wouldn't support Trump's Hail Mary.
Maybe they are smart enough to realize that the people building a gallows outside the Capitol are just as likely to string them up as Democrats at this point. That crowd wants blood.
GuppyShark wrote: 2021-01-06 01:38pmNow the MAGA fanatics are getting teargassed outside the Capital building.
You mean the fucked-up treasonous pieces of shit are getting tear-gassed?

GOOD.

It's 5:30 pm in Washington DC and it looks like arrests are finally being made.

Put them in cages made out of chain-link fence with only a single foil blanket apiece.
Solauren wrote: 2021-01-06 03:09pm Well, since Trump basically told his supporters to storm the capital, I would say it's actually a Coup in progress now.
Yes. It's a coup. It's open and armed rebellion.

I'm OK with the US military fulfilling its duties to defend against all enemies foreign AND DOMESTIC. I'm OK with people in open and armed rebellion getting shot in the face by those charged with defending the US government and constitution. If you want to play that sort of "game" you have no basis to complain if you get hurt or killed.

Fuck these pieces of shit. Fuck them hard, over and over.
Eternal_Freedom wrote: 2021-01-06 04:09pm After a quick glance at BBC News website on this mess, you have the National Guard being called in (apparently at Trump's request, while he's tweeting to stay peaceful because "WE are the Party of Law and Order"), intrudres breaking in to the Senate chamber, police/security guys barricading a door and drawing sidearms, and Pence saying he won't block certification of Biden's win.

Fucking hell, I thought the UK politics shitshow was bad.
It was the DC mayor who had the National Guard called in, along with police from surrounding jurisdictions.

The news is posting pictures from a senator's phone showing the boxes containing the official electoral ballots - apparently staff was able to save them from the mob. The same senator is saying that Congress is going to try to certify the results before midnight if it is at all possible.
Eternal_Freedom wrote: 2021-01-06 04:33pm Seriously, WTF America?
Democracy is fragile.

Here is the proof.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

I'm all for these shitheads getting the Fist of An Angry God treatment from the DC Marine garrison. Won't happen, much as it should.

Protests are allowed and encouraged. Violent ones discouraged, even if they can be understandable. Insurrection and attempted coups should not be tolerated, with that intolerance backed by open and overwhelming force.

I hope Pence goes for the 25th, and that the articles of Impeachment that are being made (https://twitter.com/IlhanMN/status/1346 ... _&ref_url=) go through. Put Trump and his equally treasonous children in chains and crush his followers. Make examples of them all.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

Imagine this happening 6 months ago and instead of fascists it had been BLM protesters seizing capitol...
Where am I at in the post apocalypse draft? When do I start getting picks? Because I want this guy. This guy right here. I will regret not being able to claim the quote, "The first I noticed while burning weed, so I burned it, aiming at its head first. It wriggled for about 10 seconds. Too long... I then fetched an old machete [+LITERALLY ANYTHING]"
- Raw Shark on my slug hunting
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Here are the official electoral college ballots. The mob has not destroyed the election results.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ErFJl9cXAAI ... name=small

Arrest the fucking piece of shit stirring the pot. Impeach him tonight and remove him from office and arrest the fucking piece of shit donkey-fucking felcher, bucket of vomit by midnight. Put him on trial for goddamned treason.

Give these shithead followers a hard time line - half an hour - and if they don't leave send in the fucking US military to remove them by force. If you storm the heart of a nation's government you are no longer "peaceful protesters", you are in armed, open rebellion. You have declared war on your own government and it's the US military that fights US wars. If any of them get maimed or killed I no longer fucking care. Leave them to bleed out on the streets.

If they refuse to leave open fucking fire on them.

No more tear gas. They want war? Give it to them. Use real bullets.

I am DONE being nice and reasonable.

My nation has been attacked from within.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Broomstick wrote: 2021-01-06 05:49pm Here are the official electoral college ballots. The mob has not destroyed the election results.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ErFJl9cXAAI ... name=small

Arrest the fucking piece of shit stirring the pot. Impeach him tonight and remove him from office and arrest the fucking piece of shit donkey-fucking felcher, bucket of vomit by midnight. Put him on trial for goddamned treason.

Give these shithead followers a hard time line - half an hour - and if they don't leave send in the fucking US military to remove them by force. If you storm the heart of a nation's government you are no longer "peaceful protesters", you are in armed, open rebellion. You have declared war on your own government and it's the US military that fights US wars. If any of them get maimed or killed I no longer fucking care. Leave them to bleed out on the streets.

If they refuse to leave open fucking fire on them.

No more tear gas. They want war? Give it to them. Use real bullets.

I am DONE being nice and reasonable.

My nation has been attacked from within.
There's a video of a woman complaining about being tear-gassed and said she only wanted to start a revolution.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

Robert Reich, former secretary of labor sums it up nicely, if you have facebook.
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 4049098533
Where am I at in the post apocalypse draft? When do I start getting picks? Because I want this guy. This guy right here. I will regret not being able to claim the quote, "The first I noticed while burning weed, so I burned it, aiming at its head first. It wriggled for about 10 seconds. Too long... I then fetched an old machete [+LITERALLY ANYTHING]"
- Raw Shark on my slug hunting
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

They're bringing in the National Guard by the literal busload.

Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

You'd expect the government to get pretty vengeful with Trump now their own actual physical safety is being put at risk.

Even if nothing else has done it.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

It looks like a few centuries of lionising violent political action is starting to show major effects.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

Gandalf wrote: 2021-01-06 07:46pm It looks like a few centuries of lionising violent political action is starting to show major effects.
This is pretty bad but there's always been violence (a southern congressman clubbed a senator for denouncing slavery back in the 1850s.) The problem is that the centrists kept ignoring it in the name of "bipartisanship". Had Obama pushed for war crimes in 09 I think things might not have gotten AS bad.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

I don't think it shows that? It's hard to tell because it zooms in and out at that part, but I think the guy we see shoving the gate thing is one of the protesters.
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

You should see the responses from the republican scum on various social media outlets. I'd post examples, but the filth aren't worth my time.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Ralin wrote: 2021-01-06 09:15pm
I don't think it shows that? It's hard to tell because it zooms in and out at that part, but I think the guy we see shoving the gate thing is one of the protesters.
The jackets CLEARLY state "POLICE".
Now, since they're already trying to claim 'false flag' and "AntiFA did it!' I have to wonder if they were the ones falsely wearing Police jackets.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

LadyTevar wrote: 2021-01-06 11:11pmThe jackets CLEARLY state "POLICE".
No, I mean one of the people facing the people in the police jackets. On the far right at about the three second mark.

https://pasteboard.co/JItXVfs.png
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

Looks to me like the police didn't even try to stop them. No shooting them in the face (as happens to MOST people who try to trespass on the Capitol). No teargas, rubber bullets, tasers... Just calmly walking in front of them. No tackles. They fucking let it happen.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Napoleon the Clown wrote: 2021-01-07 12:00am Looks to me like the police didn't even try to stop them. No shooting them in the face (as happens to MOST people who try to trespass on the Capitol). No teargas, rubber bullets, tasers... Just calmly walking in front of them. No tackles. They fucking let it happen.
There were a lot more rioters than there were police. Both in that one spot and in general. From what I'm hearing they did use tear gas elsewhere.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Four people died as pro-Trump rioters stormed the Capitol
Four people died as supporters of US President Donald Trump violently occupied the US Capitol.

Washington DC Police Chief Robert Contee said the dead on Wednesday included a woman who was shot by the US Capitol Police, as well as three others who died in “medical emergencies”.

The woman, identified as Ashli Babbit, was shot earlier Wednesday as the mob tried to break through a barricaded door in the Capitol where police were armed on the other side. She was hospitalised with a gunshot wound and later died.

Babbit was a US Air Force vet from the San Diego area, and was a supporter of Trump.

She was a 14-year veteran, who served four tours with the US Air Force. She was a high level security official throughout her time in service, KUSI News reported.

"I’m numb. I’m devastated. Nobody from DC notified my son and we found out on TV,” the husband’s mother, Robin Babbit, told The New York Post.

The day before she was fatally shot, Babbit tweeted, “Nothing will stop us…. they can try and try and try but the storm is here and it is descending upon DC in less than 24 hours….dark to light.”

Babbit was believed to have taken a fatal bullet to the chest during the mayhem inside the Capitol.

It appeared she had been trying to climb through the broken window of a barricaded door when she was shot. Video footage captured the sound of the gunshot, and her fall to the floor.

Police said both law enforcement and Trump supporters deployed chemical irritants during the hours long occupation of the Capitol building before it was cleared Wednesday evening by law enforcement.

They added that two pipe bombs were recovered, one outside the Democratic National Committee and one outside the Republican National Committee. Police found a cooler from a vehicle that had a long gun and Molotov cocktail on Capitol grounds.

– Stuff, additional reporting AP
One person shot by police. Three others dying in circumstances that the police are being vague about.

I'm also curious about how the Trump supporters got hold of "chemical irritants". Which I'm assuming is tear gas.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

bilateralrope wrote: 2021-01-07 12:58amI'm also curious about how the Trump supporters got hold of "chemical irritants". Which I'm assuming is tear gas.
Assuming it's not just pepper spray, chances are a few canisters fell off the back of a truck with the connivance of sympathisers working in law-enforcement and/or for a defence contractor.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

bilateralrope wrote: 2021-01-07 12:58am Four people died as pro-Trump rioters stormed the Capitol
Four people died as supporters of US President Donald Trump violently occupied the US Capitol.

Washington DC Police Chief Robert Contee said the dead on Wednesday included a woman who was shot by the US Capitol Police, as well as three others who died in “medical emergencies”.

The woman, identified as Ashli Babbit, was shot earlier Wednesday as the mob tried to break through a barricaded door in the Capitol where police were armed on the other side. She was hospitalised with a gunshot wound and later died.

Babbit was a US Air Force vet from the San Diego area, and was a supporter of Trump.

She was a 14-year veteran, who served four tours with the US Air Force. She was a high level security official throughout her time in service, KUSI News reported.

"I’m numb. I’m devastated. Nobody from DC notified my son and we found out on TV,” the husband’s mother, Robin Babbit, told The New York Post.

The day before she was fatally shot, Babbit tweeted, “Nothing will stop us…. they can try and try and try but the storm is here and it is descending upon DC in less than 24 hours….dark to light.”

Babbit was believed to have taken a fatal bullet to the chest during the mayhem inside the Capitol.

It appeared she had been trying to climb through the broken window of a barricaded door when she was shot. Video footage captured the sound of the gunshot, and her fall to the floor.

Police said both law enforcement and Trump supporters deployed chemical irritants during the hours long occupation of the Capitol building before it was cleared Wednesday evening by law enforcement.

They added that two pipe bombs were recovered, one outside the Democratic National Committee and one outside the Republican National Committee. Police found a cooler from a vehicle that had a long gun and Molotov cocktail on Capitol grounds.

– Stuff, additional reporting AP
One person shot by police. Three others dying in circumstances that the police are being vague about.

I'm also curious about how the Trump supporters got hold of "chemical irritants". Which I'm assuming is tear gas.
Fuck them and good riddance.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

I've got no sympathy for the woman who got shot. She earned that. As for the other three, I don't even know which side they were on.
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

I'm working on the assumption they where on the same team. If not they are excluded from that statement.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.