Why Trump is different from other racist Presidents.

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Why Trump is different from other racist Presidents.

Post by The Romulan Republic »

The argument comes up from time to time that Trump isn't really anything that exceptional- that the crimes and views of him and his followers are, at worst, simply more extreme or obvious versions of crimes committed under prior Presidents, that he is merely a product of the systemic corruption and bigotry of the United States, and even the suggestion that to focus on or single out Trump is to somehow excuse the evils of his predecessors and of the United States generally. I've tended to take an opposing view, which is more or less that Trump's actions represent something different from the sins of past American Presidents, at least in recent history, that they represent a regression, that they represent a fundamental attack on key democratic and legal institutions, and that to simply treat him as one more bad US President is to normalize a very dangerous man, and to normalize his crimes.

I recently bought Ta-Nehisi Coates' book We Were Eight Years in Power, which discusses both the brief period of Black political gains during reconstruction, and the election of Trump as a racist response against the Obama Presidency (this is, of course, a very brief and partial summary). And I came across a passage near the end of the book which, I think, helps to articulate some of why Trump is distinct from just another racist or corrupt President. The following (from pages 343-344) is part of a longer section, which I'll quote here (Note: the n-word is not censored in the original text- I chose to do so because I am uncomfortable with using that word in speech or in print, and mean no misrepresentation of the author's original work):
To Trump whiteness is neither notional nor symbolic but is the very core of his power. In this, Trump is not singular. But whereas his forebears carried whiteness like an ancestral talisman, Trump cracked the glowing amulet open, releasing its eldritch energies. The repercussions are striking: Trump is the first president to have served in no public capacity before ascending to his perch. Perhaps more important, Trump is the first president to have publicly affirmed that his daughter is a "piece of ass." The mind seizes trying to imagine a black man extolling the virtues of sexual assault on tape ("And when you're a star, they let you do it"), fending off multiple accusations of said assaults, becoming immersed in multiple lawsuits for allegedly fraudulent business dealings, exhorting his followers to violence, and then strolling into the White House. But that is the point of white supremacy-to ensure that that which all others achieve with maximal effort, white people (and particularly white men) achieve with minimal qualification. Barack Obama delivered to black people the hoary message that in working twice as hard as white people, anything is possible. But Trump's counter is persuasive-work half as hard as black people and even more is possible.

A relationship between these two notions is as necessary as the relationship between these two men. It is almost as if the fact of Obama, the fact of a black president, insulted Trump personally. The insult redoubled when Obama and Seth Meyers publicly humiliated Trump at the White House Correspondents' Dinner in 2011. But the bloody heirloom ensures the last laugh. Replacing Obama is not enough-Trump has made the negation of Obama's legacy the foundation of his own. And this too is whiteness. "Race is an idea, not a fact," writes the historian Nell Irvin Painter, and essential to the construct of a "white race" is the idea of not being a n****r. Before Barack Obama, n*****s could be manufactured out of Sister Souljahs, Willie Hortons, Dusky Sallys, and Miscengenation Balls. But Donald Trump arrived in the wake of something more potent-an entire n****r presidency with n****r health care, n****r climate accords, n****r justice reform that could be targeted for destruction, that could be targeted for redemption, thus reifying the idea of being white. Trump truly is something new-the first president whose entire political existence hinges on the fact of a black president. And so it will not suffice to say Trump is a white man like all the others who rose to become president. He must be called by his correct name and rightful honorific-America's first white president.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Re: Why Trump is different from other racist Presidents.

Post by Solauren »

I think people are over-generalizing Trump in this regard.

Yes, he doesn't like Obama.
Yes, he's trying to undo everything Obama did.
But it's not because Obama is black.

It's because Obama humiliated Trump, and Trumps a petty asshole.

I have no doubt Trump is some level of racist, but his motives make more sense if you remove 'racism' as a motivation, and just consider him a corrupt, incompetent, narcisitic, petty asshole, that honestly believes everything he's told, even if it contradicts something he already believes.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I don't think anyone would deny that self-interest is a huge motivation for everything Trump does (well, except Trumpers, maybe).

However, he is remarkably consistent in his use of racism (and also misogyny, homophobia, etc) as the primaries means to advance that self-interest. Moreover, and I think this ties into the point the passage above was making, he's not merely maintaining a racist status quo- his entire message is predicated on turning the clock back, on trying to restore a past "golden age" of unchallenged white male supremacy, and to undo/negate the Obama Presidency specifically.

I mean, what are Trump's most famous, most effective messages over the course of his career? I'd argue the following:

Birtherism: We all know that was thinly-veiled code for "A black man can't be a real President". And it launched Trump's political career.

"Build That Wall": The racism here doesn't need to be explained. Its not subtext, its just text. Keep the brown people out.

"Make America Great Again": Code for "It stopped being great because a black man is President/white male supremacy is eroding, and I'm going to fix that."

Being against "the establishment"/the "Deep State": What establishment? Clearly not the one controlled by rich white men, given him and most of his cabinet. No, this too is a dog whistle- for the multicultural "establishment", and for his predecessor Obama (the "Deep State" narrative has been pretty blatantly used as short-hand for "Obama appointee").

The other point is that that appeal to bigotry allowed him to succeed despite his complete and utter lack of any traditional qualifications for the office, and his own vile personal character. That he was able to become President specifically by being White, and embracing Whiteness (in opposition to Blackness/non-Whiteness).
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

Solauren wrote: 2020-06-25 08:40am I think people are over-generalizing Trump in this regard.

Yes, he doesn't like Obama.
Yes, he's trying to undo everything Obama did.
But it's not because Obama is black.

It's because Obama humiliated Trump, and Trumps a petty asshole.

I have no doubt Trump is some level of racist, but his motives make more sense if you remove 'racism' as a motivation, and just consider him a corrupt, incompetent, narcisitic, petty asshole, that honestly believes everything he's told, even if it contradicts something he already believes.
First of all, if the policies he supports are indistinguishable from those of a white supremacist, does it really fucking matter if his "real" underlying motivations are not racist? Intent is irrelevant here. Hell, through the wonders of amateur psychoanalysis you can reduce Hitler's actions (or anyone else's) into petty motivations, too.

Second of all, yes he honestly believes everything he's told, and the people he listens to are white supremacists. Ergo ...
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

I was referring to his actions concerning Obama's administration specifically, not in general. Sorry, I should have clarified.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.