Mass shooting German Mall

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

hunter5
Padawan Learner

Mass shooting German Mall

Post by hunter5 »

(CNN)[Breaking news alert, posted at 1:57 p.m. ET Friday]

At least one shooter is still on the loose after a shooting inside a McDonald's at Munich's Olympia shopping mall Friday, police spokeswoman Claudia Küntzel said.
"There could be several dead and one or even several shooters are on the loose," Küntzel said.
The shooting at the McDonald's happened around 5:50 p.m. (11:50 a.m. ET), she said.
It's unclear whether shootings have occurred at other locations, and whether the gunfire has stopped.
[Previous story, posted at 1:34 p.m. ET Friday]
Gunfire rang out Friday evening at a shopping mall in the German city of Munich, leaving several people dead and others wounded, CNN affiliate NTV reported.
The shooting, which started at about 6 p.m. local time at the Olympia shopping mall, is over, police spokeswoman Claudia Kvenzel said. Kvenzel had no immediate information about casualties or what led to the shooting.

Follow
CNN ✔ @CNN
JUST IN: Twitter video shows people running from scene of shooting at German shopping center http://cnn.it/2ah90zz
1:20 PM - 22 Jul 2016
488 488 Retweets 219 219 likes
Lynn Stein, who said she works at the Jack Wolfskin store in the mall, told CNN that the shooter was inside the mall.
"I heard several shots," Stein said. "(I) was just going to buy something while my co-worker was still in the shop.
"People started running. I went outside as well; more people (were) running outside. I think I heard more shots. Then it sounded like he went to the parking house next to the mall -- several shots there."
Stein said she then went back into the mall.

Follow
Denizcan James @MrFilmkritik
This is crazy. #Munich #OEZ
12:56 PM - 22 Jul 2016
17 17 Retweets 4 4 likes
"I saw ... somebody lying on the floor, presumably dead, I don't know. Or badly hurt. And there's a woman over them, crying."
Eventually, she said, police "told everyone to clear off the area and go to the other side of the street."

"And we just stayed there for a while until police told us to go further back and further back," she said.
A string of recent terror attacks have put Europe on high alert.
Police respond to a shooting outside the Olympia shopping mall in Munich.
Police respond to a shooting outside the Olympia shopping mall in Munich.
A truck plowed into a crowd of Bastille Day revelers in Nice, France, last week, killing more than 80 people.
This week, a teenager who said he was inspired by ISIS stabbed passengers on a German train before police shot him dead.
CNN's Claudia Otto, Bharati Naik, Vasco Cotovio, Laura Perez Maestro, Catherine Shoichet and Donie O'Sullivan contributed to this report.
http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/22/europe/ge ... index.html Possibly multiple shooters still at large. German police telling people to stay home holy shit.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Re: Mass shooting German Mall

Post by madd0ct0r »

3 dead. Shootibgs were in three locations. Police currently assume three shooters
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

So this is a thing now, mass casualty event about three times a month in Europe. I hope to see it's end.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

München
7 mins ·

UPDATE

Am 22.07.2016 gg. 17.50 Uhr meldeten sich Zeugen bei der Polizei und meldeten eine Schießerei im Bereich der Hanauer Straße, die sich dann weiter in die Riesstraße und in das Olympia Einkaufszentrum verlagerte.

Zeugen melden drei verschiedene Personen mit Schusswaffen.

Über Art und Anzahl von Opfern liegen momentan noch keine gesicherten Erkenntnisse vor. Die Polizei ist mit allen verfügbaren Einsatzkräften mit Unterstützung von Spezialeinheiten, der Bundespolizei und benachbarten Präsidien im Einsatz.
Im Moment konnten noch keine Täter festgenommen werden.

Die Fahndung nach ihnen läuft mit Hochdruck. Aufgrund der noch unklaren Situation bitten wir alle Personen im Stadtgebiet zu Hause zu bleiben bzw. in nahen Gebäuden Schutz zu suchen. Der Betrieb der öffentlichen Verkehrsmittel ist derzeit eingestellt.

Sobald weitere Informationen vorliegen, wird nachberichtet.

Update

On 22.07.2016 GG. 17.50 o ' clock came forward witnesses at the police station and reported a shooting in the area of Hanau Street, which is then further into the ries street and in the Olympia mall shifted.
Witnesses report three different people with guns.

On the type and number of victims are currently still do not know before. The police is with all available forces with the support of special forces, the federal police and neighbouring präsidien in use.
At the moment no perpetrators still could be arrested.

An Apb out on them is running with high pressure. Due to the unclear situation we ask all people in the metropolitan area to stay at home or In nearby buildings to seek shelter. The operation of the public transport is currently set.
As soon as more information becomes available, according to reports.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Dupe
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
cosmicalstorm
Jedi Council Member

Post by cosmicalstorm »

It's Breiviks anniversary too. But this is probably another Jihadi attack. Wonder what will be the effect if this happens every week.
cosmicalstorm
Jedi Council Member

Post by cosmicalstorm »

Multiple shooters, many dead. Entire city lockdowned. Probably IS attack, going to be a rough night for Merkel.
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

5 year anniversary of Breivik's rampage ... copy cat/admirer?
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
cosmicalstorm
Jedi Council Member

Post by cosmicalstorm »

There are conflicting reports on Twitter. It's either going to be some IS adherents or some Breivik-ish type who blames his actions on refugees.
hunter5
Padawan Learner

Post by hunter5 »

Watching CNN latest unofficial update "looks like a terror attack". Reports of 3 shooters still at large and 6 dead
cosmicalstorm
Jedi Council Member

Post by cosmicalstorm »

Could be a white shooter who shouted Allah Akbar for the l0lz. The videos of him shooting little girl in the back outside McDonalds is sickening, but too coarse to make out ethnicity.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

18 year old German-Iranian national with a handgun, and dead by his own hand. 9 dead 10 wounded. Lived in Germany more then two years.

Reports, and video, indicating that he shouted "I am German" as he opened fire not yet confirmed or denied by police.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Some witnesses also reported that the perp shouted "Allahu Akbar". The "I am German" exchange (it was a reply to "fucking Turks, fucking foreigners" by someone observing him with the weapon) was before he started shooting, as far as I understood.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Colonel Olrik
The Spaminator

Post by Colonel Olrik »

First of all, I'll say that the Munich police and special forces performed admirably, in what a posteriori has been for them a giant counter terrorism exercise. I'm sure lots of people will be comparing notes in the next days. There were more than 20 police cars and emergency vehicles there within 10 minutes of the initial shooting, and less than one hour later the city was effectively closed with minimal problems and 2300 police cars were on the road as well as GSG9 commandos and other resources (helicopters were flying over me at a ratio of one every 5 minutes). The information flow worked through Twitter and an official app, and the civilians did their bit to help. Hats off.

Secondly, a few corrections/remarks are in order:
- It is confirmed that it was a single shooter, teenager, living for many years in Munich or even born here, that's still not clear, from Iranian immigrants. He has German and Iranian citizenship and lived with his parents and brother in an expensive part of the city (there are no gettos in Munich, but there of course better and worse places to live). As usual, neighbors describe him as a quiet, nice kid :roll:

- it may be that he organized a meeting of teenagers in McDonalds - there are traces of that on Facebook, as well as complaints from him of being mobbed.

- as an aside, the German (?) who shouted at him did not say fucking Turks, it was more like the equivalent of fucking ragheads -> middle easterners
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

I think this about sums up my feelings at this point:
For those who don't read French:

"I am Charlie
I am Paris
I am Orlando
I am Brussels
I am Istanbul
I am Nice
I am Baghdad
I am Bangladesh

I am exhausted..."

I guess we'll now add "Je suis Munich" to the list.

I don't want to be exhausted, but honestly, these attacks are getting far too routine. I fear the press will stop reporting (because it's no longer news) and yet I fear they won't, and politicians will use them to whip us paranoia and fear for their own gain.

Once again, I am sorry to hear about a tragedy of this sort, I'm glad the people I know from the Internet in the area are safe.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Sea Skimmer wrote:18 year old German-Iranian national with a handgun, and dead by his own hand. 9 dead 10 wounded. Lived in Germany more then two years.
Glock 17; Opened fire at McDonalds, walked across street to the mall, then to the parking garage, which led to confusion of three shooting scenes and three shooters initially.

cosmicalstorm
Jedi Council Member

Post by cosmicalstorm »

See the last paragraph if you tl:dr. Vicious self reinforcing feedback loops of violence.

http://time.com/4408926/the-difference- ... -isis-ish/
The Difference Between ISIS and ISIS-ish

William McCants @will_mccants

July 16, 2016

McCants is the author of The ISIS Apocalypse.
What to make of criminals and social misfits who suddenly take up the ISIS name?
The pattern is tragically familiar: a troubled youth with a criminal past attacks in the name of ISIS. Charlie Hebdo, Orlando, San Bernardino and perhaps now Nice. They are not ISIS, exactly, but ISISish men and women who have no organizational ties to ISIS but murder in its name.

What are we to make of irreligious criminals and social misfits who suddenly take up the ISIS banner and pledge themselves to the religious crusade of its so-called caliph? The phenomenon is widespread in Europe, as any security professional there will tell you. Some will go so far as to say that the profile fits the majority of ISIS supporters in the West.

Some latecomers to the so-called caliph’s cause believe their violence is redemptive—a way to atone for their past sins and preserve their religious community. Fighting in defense of one’s religious community is lauded in Islamic scripture as a meritorious deed and a shortcut to paradise. Most Muslims would sharply disagree with ISIS that its terrorist attacks or its cause qualify as a defense of Islam. But some youth are persuaded by scripture and by the specter of Muslim suffering to strike a blow against their fellow citizens for the sake of their community and their own salvation. The murderous penitent believes he has circumvented the long road of pious struggle also required by scripture.

For some young men, these lofty if misplaced motives are mixed with the personal and profane. Those who hate their coworkers or despise homosexuals because of their own insecurities can cloak their acts in the bloody mantel of the so-called caliph’s authority. In this scenario, we would have to suppose these men and women are cynics who want to go out with the loudest bang but don’t really believe in the cause. Perhaps this is the case for some. But if you ask scholars who study spree killers, they will tell you it is difficult to disentangle ideological convictions from unconscious or personal motives.

It’s an immaterial distinction for the caliph. So long as he believes they answered his call for reprisals against the countries fighting to destroy his kingdom, he is only too happy to applaud his rabid fans from afar regardless of their motives. He hopes the attacks will persuade countries to abandon the coalition arrayed against him or provoke them into an unwise course of action that plays into his hands.

The attacks also help the caliph recruit. He adduces them as proof to his critics in the global jihadist community that only he can inspire such devotion. He cheers them so citizens will fear that every Muslim is a lone wolf in docile sheep’s clothing. When the fear and suspicion lead to legal measures that single out Muslims, such as veil bans, the caliph’s recruiting pitch finds more receptive ears. It is a vicious cycle that assures we will see more ISISish attackers for years to come.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Why are you posting articles about caliphate shit in something that had nothing to do with ISIS?
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

So if I am reading this right, this is basically a disaffected teenager pulling a US-style spree killing?
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Yep.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
cosmicalstorm
Jedi Council Member

Post by cosmicalstorm »

Thanas wrote:Why are you posting articles about caliphate shit in something that had nothing to do with ISIS?
It specifically treated this subject of "Some nut who claims IS affiliation because it's hip or actual dispatched IS-nut".
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

The problem is that the article goes from talking about ISIL to talking about some 'caliph,' in tones that suggest the author thinks there is some specific person claiming to be the caliph, which is... so far as I know, not the case.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

Post by Captain Seafort »

Simon_Jester wrote:The problem is that the article goes from talking about ISIL to talking about some 'caliph,' in tones that suggest the author thinks there is some specific person claiming to be the caliph, which is... so far as I know, not the case.
Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, aka ISIL's head honcho.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/ ... ied-killer
The German 18-year-old who killed nine people at a Munich shopping centre on Friday night was obsessed with mass killings, owned a book on US school shootings and played computer shooting games.

Most of his victims were fellow teenagers, five of them under 16. The loss of so many young people added to the depth of mourning in Germany, where people are struggling to understand how a shy student managed to acquire a gun and bullets and then turn them on his peers in cold blood.

The attacker, named as Ali Sonboly, was the son of Iranian refugees who came to Germany in the 1990s. Neighbours said he was shy and withdrawn and showed no signs of the violence that had apparently preoccupied him long before Friday night. A police search of the gunman’s family home, part of a social housing block in the prosperous Maxvorstadt district, found newspaper clippings and books related to mass murders, among them one called Why Kids Kill: Inside the Minds of School Shooters.

“[He] was obsessed with shooting rampages,” Munich’s police chief, Hubertus Andrae, said. Sonboly also seems to have been interested in the far-right terrorist Anders Breivik, who murdered 77 mostly young people in a killing spree across Oslo and an island camp. The Munich attack came on the fifth anniversary of the Norwegian slaughter. A classmate told Germany’s Bild newspaper that Sonboly used Breivik’s face as his profile picture on the WhatsApp messaging service.

Sonboly apparently tried to lure his victims to the site of the massacre with a bizarre message on a hacked Facebook page, promising free meals to anyone at the restaurant at 4pm. It was a venue the gunman knew, police believe, and he may have recognised victims, although he did not begin shooting until two hours after the Facebook invitation.

One of the questions facing authorities is whether Sonboly, who was bullied and isolated at school, intentionally set out to kill other young people. The dead included seven teenagers, a 20-year-old and a 45-year-old woman.

Germany has a grim track record of attacks on young people, with two teenagers returning to their schools to launch massacres in the last 15 years, one in 2002 and a second in 2009.

The DPA news agency said it found evidence that Sonboly had idolised Tim Kretschmer, who in 2009 killed 15 people in the town of Winnenden, in a neighbouring state. The 17-year-old had returned to his former school and opened fire, shot several other people while fleeing police and killed himself.

In 2002 in the city of Erfurt a 19-year-old had also entered his former school and killed 11 teachers, two other school employees, two students and a policeman. At the time security forces were criticised for their slow response.

Police spokesman Peter Beck said officials don’t yet know what triggered the attack in Munich but that there was no clear political motivation. Searches had revealed no links to terror groups and he suggested the attack was unlikely to have been driven by Islamist extremism.

The dead included three children from Turkey, three ethnic Albanians from Kosovo and at least one Greek teenager. Tributes to the dead poured in from across Europe, with flags flying at half-mast across Germany.
and http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07 ... n-outside/
Ali David Sonboly, 18, launched his killing spree in the Bavarian city in an apparent revenge attack for being bullied. It is now thought he targeted youngsters of “Turkish and Arab” origin, having claimed those groups had picked on him in school.

Sonboly, who killed himself at the end of the attack, had set up a fake Facebook account using the identity of a pretty teenage girl.

Using the name “Selina Akim”, Sonboly posted a message hours before the attack saying: “Come today at four o’clock to McDonald’s at OEZ [shopping centre]. I am giving away anything you want as long as it’s not too expensive.”

It seems to be pretty conclusive so far. The continuing mental virus of teenage spree killers. Hopefully the extensive media coverage will not accelerate the number of them in Germany.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee