Rights of Native Americans/multi-culturalism vs. separatism.

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Re: Rights of Native Americans/multi-culturalism vs. separat

Post by Thanas »

AniThyng wrote:It may well be a net positive in the end, but it wouldn't hurt I think to acknowledge that the cultural transfer TRR refers to is rather one sided. What good ideas have westerners adopted from eastern cultures?
Paper
Printed currency
Philosophy
Explosives
A large part of the western diet (rice, soy beans etc.)
EDIT: In recent years, K-Pop is probably the fastest growing music there is in the west.

These are just the first that come to mind. Paper especially is easily in the top ten inventions the west used throughout history. In fact, it is very hard to picture western culture without paper.

EDIT2: In fact, without the cultural transfer from east-west it is very hard to imagine western culture as it exists today.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

Thanas wrote:
AniThyng wrote:It may well be a net positive in the end, but it wouldn't hurt I think to acknowledge that the cultural transfer TRR refers to is rather one sided. What good ideas have westerners adopted from eastern cultures?
Paper
Printed currency
Philosophy
Explosives
A large part of the western diet (rice, soy beans etc.)
EDIT: In recent years, K-Pop is probably the fastest growing music there is in the west.

These are just the first that come to mind. Paper especially is easily in the top ten inventions the west used throughout history. In fact, it is very hard to picture western culture without paper.

EDIT2: In fact, without the cultural transfer from east-west it is very hard to imagine western culture as it exists today.
Out of 6 items listed, the only two that took place in the past 2 centuries are food (in the sense of actually having ethnic cuisine available, not in the sense of introducing tomatoes 5 centuries ago) and K-Pop - which is itself a by-product of westernization, from one of the most westernized countries in East Asia...
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

AniThyng wrote:Out of 6 items listed, the only two that took place in the past 2 centuries are food (in the sense of actually having ethnic cuisine available, not in the sense of introducing tomatoes 5 centuries ago) and K-Pop - which is itself a by-product of westernization, from one of the most westernized countries in East Asia...
Well, it could be argued that cultural exchanges regarding big ticket items like technology come in waves emanating from the culture most advanced in technology and power. The eastern cultures have not been either for the past five centuries. But I reject that. K-Pop might be westernized, but it is not western. In fact, one of the main parts of K-pop is using and changing western methods. Despite me not being a huge fan of it I can still respect them for pushing the boundaries of what western audiences are used to.

That being said, you really think no exchange happened due to the massive migration of Easterners to the west? Heck, I can easily walk outside and see an asian supermarket, a russian restaurant and a Nigerian knitter on the same street. Isn't the exchange of people the most important one in the categories of cultural exchanges?
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
hongi
Jedi Council Member

Post by hongi »

Knife wrote: I know, I alluded to such in my post. That said it was also 150 years ago. Do you think all parties should renegotiate those treaties now? I think I would be ok with that.
As if whitey would ever renegotiate in terms favourable for American Indians. Not going to happen. Didn't happen then, won't happen now, when even more is at stake. Just dangle the word 'land compensation' and watch the fireworks.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Thanas wrote:I don't think Ray has ever advocated "fixing" indians, Simon.
I would not presume to disagree with you.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

The elected legislature of Nunavut operates on a non-partisan consensus model with a purely advisory elder's council. They still have one and still conduct the elections according to Canadian Law. That isn't democracy as someone in the US would be intimately familiar with, but it meets international norms.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

Thanas wrote:
AniThyng wrote:Out of 6 items listed, the only two that took place in the past 2 centuries are food (in the sense of actually having ethnic cuisine available, not in the sense of introducing tomatoes 5 centuries ago) and K-Pop - which is itself a by-product of westernization, from one of the most westernized countries in East Asia...
Well, it could be argued that cultural exchanges regarding big ticket items like technology come in waves emanating from the culture most advanced in technology and power. The eastern cultures have not been either for the past five centuries. But I reject that. K-Pop might be westernized, but it is not western. In fact, one of the main parts of K-pop is using and changing western methods. Despite me not being a huge fan of it I can still respect them for pushing the boundaries of what western audiences are used to.

That being said, you really think no exchange happened due to the massive migration of Easterners to the west? Heck, I can easily walk outside and see an asian supermarket, a russian restaurant and a Nigerian knitter on the same street. Isn't the exchange of people the most important one in the categories of cultural exchanges?
I would think it would be the exchange of culture and cultural ideas, not the people as such that we're discussing in this context. Anyone can eat russian food and shop in an asian supermarket without substantially altering their worldview, but the kind of changes we're discussing here are far more fundemental than that...

I mean, I eat a lot of sushi and watch anime but I would never presume to consider this actual acceptance of Japanese culture* in any meaningful way.

*Okay maybe Japanese culture isn't a fair one since it's already so close. I also enjoy sausage and pork knuckle and watch german arthouse film, it says very little about my actual practice of german cultural idioms beyond whatver it has in common with british colonial influenced culture.
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P