Robin Williams dead at 63

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

montypython
Jedi Master

Re: Robin Williams dead at 63

Post by montypython »

CaptJodan wrote:Add me to the list of people who never have much emotional reaction to celebrity deaths, but for which this one hits pretty hard. Wasn't prepared for a world without Robin Williams. Dead Poet's Society will be harder to watch now, but even more meaningful.
The more profound the artist, the more painfully felt the loss is in my observation, especially in such an abrupt and unexpected fashion. It reminds me why mental illnesses need much more attention and study than it currently receives.
2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

Others have already pointed it out but Rorchach's 'joke' from beside The Comedian's grave in Watchmen is awfully on point:
Watchmen wrote:Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed. Says life seems harsh and cruel. Says he feels all alone in threatening world where what lies ahead is vague and uncertain. Doctor says, "Treatment is simple. Great clown Pagliacci is in town tonight. Go and see him. That should pick you up." Man bursts into tears. Says "But Doctor... I am Pagliacci."
Off the top of my head this is the first major death in a long time where I can remember everyone being unanimous in mourning.
Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

For the family and friends of the deceased every death is a major death.

What's different is that when Williams made us laugh it made us feel like he was our friend in a cold and hostile universe, and now we have all lost that friend and the universe is still cold and hostile.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Still having a bit of trouble believing, Robin Williams was one of a handful of men who pretty much made my childhood. He was always there in some family-friendly comedy, and as a teenager and adult I loved his racier stand-up routines.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
CaptJodan
Jedi Council Member

Post by CaptJodan »

montypython wrote: The more profound the artist, the more painfully felt the loss is in my observation, especially in such an abrupt and unexpected fashion. It reminds me why mental illnesses need much more attention and study than it currently receives.
No doubt, but I also think it was the shear suddenness of it. No hint by the general public of anything being wrong with him per say, still in work, still functional. Princess Diana was one that certainly sent similar shockwaves in Britain and around the world. No one will be surprised when the Queen dies of old age, but Diana was a surprise.

This has the added sting of being terribly tragic because of it how it happened. It wasn't an accident that took him, it was him taking his own life. After giving so much laughter and happiness to others, he found himself without enough happiness to go on living himself.
It's Jodan, not Jordan. If you can't quote it right, I will mock you.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Oh.. and just in case your feelings were not already totally ruined Lauren Bacall passed away today as well :<
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

This is sad, doubly so because he took his own life. He will be missed.
Darth Lucifer
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Lucifer »

A little late to the thread, but I too was profoundly saddened by Robin's death. Strangely enough, I was thinking about "What Dreams May Come", given the circumstances of his departure from mortal life.

In related News:

Fox News anchor Shepard Smith apologizes for calling Robin Williams a ‘coward’

The newsman used the word "coward" to describe Williams' suicide Monday, just hours after the 63-year-old was found dead. Smith apologized Tuesday, saying, "I would never presume to know anything about his private life."

Red-faced Fox News Channel anchor Shepard Smith callously branded Robin Williams “a coward” only hours after the actor committed suicide Monday.

“Something inside you is so horrible or you’re such a coward or whatever the reason that you decide that you have to end it. Robin Williams, at 63, did that today,” Smith said during his breaking news telecast.

Smith was referring to Williams’ final Instagram post two weeks ago, when to mark his daughter Zelda’s 25th birthday, he shared a photograph of himself with her on his lap when she was a baby.

“tbt and Happy Birthday to Ms. Zelda Rae Williams! Quarter of a century old today but always my baby girl. Happy Birthday@zeldawilliams Love you!” Williams captioned the picture.

Robin Williams posted a photo of himself with daughter Zelda on Instagram recently to celebrate her 25th birthday.

Smith said during the broadcast, “One of the children he so loved, one of the children grieving tonight because their father killed himself in a fit of depression.”

Tuesday, Smith issued an apology for his poor choice of words.

“I would never presume to know anything about his private life. And if any of his family members and friends were to have seen me use the word ‘coward,’ I would be horrified,” Smith told the web site, Mediaite.

“I would just like to apologize to the end of the earth to anyone who might think that I meant to openly call him a ‘coward,’” he said. “To the core of my being, I regret it. It just came out of my mouth. And I’m so sorry. And to anyone and their families who see that, I am sorry.”
http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainmen ... z3AJfRJdWp

The true definition of a coward is a self-loathing, closeted, homosexual man working as a propaganda mouthpiece for a network owned by a bunch of Republican gay bashers.
Last edited by Darth Lucifer on 2014-08-13 07:23pm, edited 1 time in total.
Channel72
Jedi Council Member

Post by Channel72 »

Well, let's see... does Shepard Smith bring in enough viewers to avoid being fired?
Tanasinn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tanasinn »

That he was forced to humiliate himself publicly instead of being summarily dismissed would seem to indicate his employers are testing the waters on that.

I don't believe for a moment this apology was anything but coerced.
Truth fears no trial.
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

Even Limbaugh has had to walk back his comments regarding Williams' death. Take your grain of salt as to whether they weren't coerced.
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

https://celebrity.yahoo.com/blogs/celeb ... 00165.html

Man what kind of fuckheads feel the need to insult his daughter for not having enough selfies with him.
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

Were I to be present when Shepherd Smith issued that half-assed "apology" I think my only possible response would get along the lines of "go fuck yourself." Look at the apology, he doesn't feel bad for what he said. He doesn't think there's anything wrong with the opinion he expressed. "I'm sorry I hurt anybody's feelings." Fucking cop-out.

I didn't believe the news at first, thinking it was one of the hoaxes or a mistake on the part of Huffington Post. I was displeased to learn otherwise.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Most apologies on the news are just an extension of what is pretty much an acting career. Many news anchors and personalities are nothing more than actors who want to bring you the most exciting information possible (whether or not it's actually true) and they have to act like it's all a big deal. So when they apologize, it's just another part of the job. Same way someone who actually has talent (like Robin Williams), can go from being a comedian to a serious dramatic actor depending on the role that he needs to play.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

This just came from Robin's wife...looks like he had the early stages of Parkinson's when he died.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/peop ... /14062707/
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

Wow, that makes it much more understandable. Imagine visualizing your only possible future after a great career as playing second fiddle to an inferior comedic and dramatic talent like Michael J. Fox just because the public expects you to do charity work and he planted his flag there first. I'd probably off myself, too.

R.I.P. Robin.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
cosmicalstorm
Jedi Council Member

Post by cosmicalstorm »

He could have spent the rest of his life advocating SENS and fighting the disease/depression. But I understand his decision.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

I think people should be wary of second-guessing what was going through his head at the time. He may have been a public figure but none of us really knew him.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

cosmicalstorm wrote:He could have spent the rest of his life advocating SENS and fighting the disease/depression. But I understand his decision.
Uh. One of the symptoms of Parkinsons is that it causes clinical depression. This is on top of the fact that he was already, apparently, substantially depressed, had well-known struggles with substance abuse and addictive behaviors, and was an older white man with the above issues.

Basically, he personified "at exceptionally high-risk for suicide." But, as has been said, we shouldn't second-guess what was going through his head at the time. Especially since most suicides are, in fact, unplanned, spur-of-the-moment things. Which is why, for example, having a firearm in the house dramatically increases one's suicide risk; and why so many of them are falls from high places and improvised hangings.

Not being inside his head at the time, we'll simply never know.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Well the autopsy results came back. No illegal drugs or alcohol in his system. Legal medications were found at normal levels.

Looks like it was depression combined with the first stages of Parkinson's disease that sent him over the edge. :(

http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/07/showbiz/r ... index.html