Under 30? The GOP wants to know what you think of it.

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

SystemError
Redshirt

Under 30? The GOP wants to know what you think of it.

Post by SystemError »

They talked about this on the Colbert Report tonight (http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colber ... ers-survey).

News Article about the survey:
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/03/3 ... nk-of-them

Link to the survey:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/8PXHD8Y

I posted some... fairly unkind remarks. About how they "used to be a vital element of American democracy when they were a national Party, but that (they've) become a Southern sectionalist Party and deserve the same fate of all Southern Parties historically", and about how their proclaimed values of individualism and maximum liberty within the context of an ordered society runs directly loggerheads to their professed social and moral policies.

Also:

13. The Republican Party was founded on three core principles: Limited Government, Individual Responsibility and Low Taxes. Which of the following is true?

Other* The Republican Party was founded on an anti-slavery movement and in opposition to the Kansas-Nebraska Act, so I don't even know what this question is asking
"Life was such a wheel that no man could stand upon it for long. And it always, at the end, came round to the same place again."
- Stephen King, The Stand

"Ozone Man, Ozone. He's crazy, way out, far out, man." — George H.W. Bush, speaking about Al Gore during the 1992 presidential campaign
Grandmaster Jogurt
Jedi Council Member

Re: Under 30? The GOP wants to know what you think of it.

Post by Grandmaster Jogurt »

If it was a serious question, number 13 is mainly for the "is the Republican Party only a shade of what it was during the glorious Reagan years, due to (pick your faction of choice to blame)". Moderates, religious reactionaries, Tea Partiers, and probably some others all might have reasons to check off that the party has lost its way, for very different reasons.
DieselJester
Youngling

Post by DieselJester »

LOL. I liked number 13! :)

My answer to that was "Other": "I think that they believe in: Limited Government (as it doesn't limit them), Individual Responsibility (but apparently not accountability), and Low Taxes (for the Upper Class only)"
"Incoming Fire has the right of way."
-Murphy's 18th Law of Combat.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Huh. Survey's closed. That was fast.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Saxtonite
Padawan Learner

Post by Saxtonite »

Prannon wrote:
Simon_Jester wrote:Huh. Survey's closed. That was fast.
Honestly, I imagine it was because they were getting responses that they didn't like/were constructive to their cause.
The alternate-history.com forums found out about it & had their way with it :lol:

It probably hit the revolutionary left forum & 4chan by now... :mrgreen:
"Opps, wanted to add; wasn't there a study about how really smart people lead shitty lives socially? I vaguely remember something about it, so correct me if I'm wrong. Frankly, I'm of the opinion that I'd rather let the new Newton or new Tesla lead a better life than have him have a shitty one and come up with apple powered death rays."
-Knife, in here
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Anyone able to get a list of all the questions before it closed down?
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

was this survey supposed to find out what youthful repubs considered important or what the 'youth' considered important generally?
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
hunter5
Padawan Learner

Post by hunter5 »

Probably both
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Can I give my answer in the form of a flaming bag of dog poop left on the RNC headquarters doorstep?

Seriously, they are morons. Use focus groups not easily skewed public internet polls, you idiots.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Channel72
Jedi Council Member

Post by Channel72 »

The problem with the Republican party is basically their dogma, which is the myth of the American dream. Most of their other tenets flow from that basic dogma. They believe that hard work = success, and therefore they reward success and punish failure, since the only explanation for failure within their dogma is lack of hard work.

Of course, the reality is that success in America is a combination of hard work, innate talent, and completely random luck (e.g. being born into the right environment, impressing the right people at the right time, etc.) It's difficult to say what percentage of the success equation each of these ingredients constitutes, but I'd be comfortable guessing that the "random luck" component is somewhere near 40 percent. So right away, the Republican dogma is hopelessly flawed, because they fail to acknowledge that hard work alone is not necessarily enough for success. You also need luck and opportunity. And often, the only way to provide opportunity on a large scale is through... get this... government social programs.

This stupid Protestant-inspired Republican dogma underlies their entire party platform, and it's basically the primary reason their party is a joke.
DieselJester
Youngling

Post by DieselJester »

Channel72 wrote:The problem with the Republican party is basically their dogma, which is the myth of the American dream. Most of their other tenets flow from that basic dogma. They believe that hard work = success, and therefore they reward success and punish failure, since the only explanation for failure within their dogma is lack of hard work.

Of course, the reality is that success in America is a combination of hard work, innate talent, and completely random luck (e.g. being born into the right environment, impressing the right people at the right time, etc.) It's difficult to say what percentage of the success equation each of these ingredients constitutes, but I'd be comfortable guessing that the "random luck" component is somewhere near 40 percent. So right away, the Republican dogma is hopelessly flawed, because they fail to acknowledge that hard work alone is not necessarily enough for success. You also need luck and opportunity. And often, the only way to provide opportunity on a large scale is through... get this... government social programs.

This stupid Protestant-inspired Republican dogma underlies their entire party platform, and it's basically the primary reason their party is a joke.
LOL. Sounds like Inspector Javert from Les Mis. :D

One of the things that made me leave the Republican Party and register Democrat was their view of "Do as I say, not as I do" mentality that I observed a lot back in my hometown. It was really quite irritating. Couple that with the Protestant - Inspired dogma like Channel72 pointed out and it got really old real quick. They like recruiting but they don't like showing people how to be better once they join either.
"Incoming Fire has the right of way."
-Murphy's 18th Law of Combat.
Civil War Man
NERRRRRDS!!!

Post by Civil War Man »

I tried filling it out for shits and giggles, mostly giving smart-assed answers.

Ended up not submitting it, though, because one of the questions was like this:

I would vote for a Republican if they were
_ African American
_ Latino
_ Asian
_ Gay

And it would not let you submit it unless you checked at least one of those boxes. It just showed how little they get why they lost, since the question implies they don't realize that their problem wasn't just that they didn't wrap their message in token minority wrapping paper.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Wow, just... WOW

I was hoping someone had a full list of the questions because I had a feeling they would be bad... But yeah that really goes above and beyond showing how clueless they are. It reminds me of when they went with Palin to try and pick up Hillary voters because evidently they assumed the only requirement for Women voters was "VAGINA GOOD!!!"
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

I'm pretty sure that wasn't the intent of that question. I don't think it was intended to mean, "If only the Republican in my <whatever> race were <whatever minority>, I'd have voted for them!". Rather, it was probably intended to ask "If I were inclined to vote Republican, I would vote for a particular candidate if they were <whatever minority>."