Obama officially inaugurated

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Obama officially inaugurated

Post by Dalton »

Obama took his third Oath of Office today at 11:55a ET, officially beginning his second term. Daughter Malia remarked that he got it right this time, preventing another round of breathless Foxbot hysteria about not being "official". Tomorrow he will take his fourth Oath of Office, a feat matched only by FDR (though his were from four distinct elections).

Today's useless facts brought to you by a very bored person at work.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Re: Obama officially inaugurated

Post by Flagg »

Bullet dodged. Allow Obama bashing immediately.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Wait maybe I'm missing something but why is he taking a fourth oath of office? Why did he take the first two? Why the pre-oath today? I'm confused.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

RogueIce wrote:Wait maybe I'm missing something but why is he taking a fourth oath of office? Why did he take the first two? Why the pre-oath today? I'm confused.
I'm guessing it's because he slightly flubbed it the first time he said it in public and they re-did it afterwards.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Ah. So they're doing this pre-oath just in case he flubs it again?

The four times thing Dalton mentioned isn't something to be proud of if it's because you screwed up once and they're afraid you'll screw it up again. :razz:
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Scottish Ninja
Jedi Knight

Post by Scottish Ninja »

No, because today is the day Obama's new term officially begins - so he has to be sworn in now. Tomorrow is the "show" inauguration, with all the customary pomp & circumstance.
"If the flight succeeds, you swipe an absurd amount of prestige for a single mission. Heroes of the Zenobian Onion will literally rain upon you." - PeZook
"If the capsule explodes, heroes of the Zenobian Onion will still rain upon us. Literally!" - Shroom
Cosmonaut Ivan Ivanovich Ivanov (deceased, rain), Cosmonaut Petr Petrovich Petrov, Unnamed MASA Engineer, and Unnamed Zenobian Engineerski in Let's play: BARIS
Captain, MFS Robber Baron, PRFYNAFBTFC - "Absolute Corruption Powers Absolutely"
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

Technically, he didn't flub it, Justice Roberts did.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Yeah, for some reason they don't do inauguarantion ceremonies on Sundays, but Obama had to be sworn in on the 20th by law.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
xt828
Padawan Learner

Post by xt828 »

Flagg wrote:Yeah, for some reason they don't do inauguarantion ceremonies on Sundays, but Obama had to be sworn in on the 20th by law.
Our public holidays work the same way - there's the date of the thing, but if it falls on Saturday or Sunday then you get the Monday off, and the Monday is the day that you get public holiday pay rates.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Yeah, but we still have all the relevant events on the Saturday/Sunday.

It's not like we go: "Welp, ANZAC day is on a Saturday this year, guess we better delay the memorials to the Monday."
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

The first Oath of Office was flubbed by Chief Justice Roberts. The second was done "just to make sure", though naturally conservative pundits threw a fit because he didn't do the second one on a Bible, so they debated whether or not it "counted". The third was done by noon on January 20th as mandated by the 20th Amendment, and since by tradition inaugural ceremonies are not held on Sunday the public Oath will happen today, making this the fourth time Obama has taken the Oath of Office.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Well, I'm a little late to the part, but there's still time to bring out my official Team Obama theme song. :twisted: :D
DaveJB
Jedi Council Member

Post by DaveJB »

Dalton wrote:The second was done "just to make sure", though naturally conservative pundits threw a fit because he didn't do the second one on a Bible, so they debated whether or not it "counted".
So, by that logic Franklin Pierce must never have been President either, since he took the oath of office on a law book instead of a bible. Then again, I can sorta imagine why people would want to forget about him...
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

DaveJB wrote:
Dalton wrote:The second was done "just to make sure", though naturally conservative pundits threw a fit because he didn't do the second one on a Bible, so they debated whether or not it "counted".
So, by that logic Franklin Pierce must never have been President either, since he took the oath of office on a law book instead of a bible. Then again, I can sorta imagine why people would want to forget about him...
Who? :P

Don't try to generalize the logic of Rush Limbaugh and Bill O'Reilly, I'm pretty sure even they don't think that way in day-to-day living. Else it'd be "Five bucks for a cup of coffee? The America we grew up with, with Leave it to Beaver, is dead. Obama killed it,"
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

One of the things that impressed me about Obama's inauguration speech, was that he seemed to make Gay Rights quite a big aspect of the speech.
We, the people, declare today that the most evident of truths -- that all of us are created equal -- is the star that guides us still; just as it guided our forebears through Seneca Falls, and Selma, and Stonewall
"It is now our generation’s task to carry on what those pioneers began. For our journey is not complete until our wives, our mothers, and daughters can earn a living equal to their efforts.
Our journey is not complete until our gay brothers and sisters are treated like anyone else under the law --
for if we are truly created equal, then surely the love we commit to one another must be equal as well."
Rather refreshing stuff to hear if I do say so myself! A sitting president using words like "Our gay brothers" is impressive to say the least.
Of course as always, those on the Far Right see it differently...
The president declared it. A pastor prayed it. And woe betide those who differ with this new reality announced at yesterday’s presidential inauguration: Gay is now an official social category as defined and tangible as black or white. Put another way, romantic attraction and sexual desire are now viewed as being as innate and immutable as skin color.

Make no mistake about it. Another significant step was taken yesterday at the inauguration, and what was once associated with the extremist views of radical gay activists is now as American as apple pie. As expressed in the closing prayer of Episcopal pastor Luis León, “We pray for your blessing, because without it we will see only what the eye can see. But with your blessing, we’ll see that we are made in your image, whether brown, black or white; male or female; first generation immigrant or Daughter of the American Revolution; gay or straight; rich or poor.”

Earlier in the festivities, and framing his speech in historic, Constitutional terms, President Obama said, “We, the people, declare today that the most evident of truths -- that all of us are created equal -- is the star that guides us still; just as it guided our forebears through Seneca Falls, and Selma, and Stonewall . . . .”

Seneca Falls, Selma, and Stonewall? By Seneca Falls, Obama was referring to a watershed moment in the women’s rights movement that took place in the mid-1800’s in Seneca Falls, New York. By Selma, he was referring to the pivotal Civil Rights marches and protests that took place in Selma, Alabama in the mid-1960’s. And by Stonewall he was referring to the Stonewall Riots that took place in New York City in 1969 when drag queens and their gay friends fought back against the police who raided their bar.

So, the president spoke of Seneca Falls, Selma, and Stonewall in the same breath, and in front of the whole nation at his inauguration, thereby equating women’s rights, black civil rights, and gay rights – which include bisexual, transgender, and other categories as well – also putting the women of Seneca Falls, the blacks of Selma, and the drag queens of Stonewall in the same category.

Do we realize just how significant this is? Do we grasp the implications?

The president also said: “It is now our generation’s task to carry on what those pioneers began. For our journey is not complete until our wives, our mothers, and daughters can earn a living equal to their efforts. Our journey is not complete until our gay brothers and sisters are treated like anyone else under the law -- for if we are truly created equal, then surely the love we commit to one another must be equal as well.”

To repeat my opening comments: woe betide those who differ with this new reality announced at yesterday’s presidential inauguration. The war is on against people of conscience and people of faith who do not affirm homosexual practice, no matter how loving and fair-minded they may be.

In my book, A Queer Thing Happened to America, I stated that this was the progression of gay activism:

First, gay activists came out of the closet;

Second, they demanded their “rights”;

Third, they demanded that everyone recognize those “rights”;

Fourth, they want to strip away the rights of those who oppose them;

Fifth, they want to put those who oppose their “rights” into the closet.

I have often been ridiculed for laying out this progression, but it is unfolding in front of our eyes, with a massive shift taking place in just the last year. And with the president of the United States declaring at his second inaugural speech that homosexuality (and more) is equivalent to gender and skin color, a line has been drawn in the sand. And that line in the sand will soon become a line in the courts and law books to the point that anyone who does not affirm homosexual practice will be codified as a bigot or worse.

As I wrote in 2011, “the legitimizing of homosexuality as a perfectly normal alternative to heterosexuality also requires that all opposition to homosexual behavior must be delegitimized. At the very least, the gay agenda requires this (and let recognized gay leaders renounce this if it is not so):

“Whereas homosexuality was once considered a pathological disorder, from here on those who do not affirm homosexuality will be deemed homophobic, perhaps themselves suffering from a pathological disorder.

“Whereas gay sexual behavior was once considered morally wrong, from here on public condemnation – or even public criticism – of that behavior will be considered morally wrong.”

Yesterday marked a watershed moment in the gay rights movement, and it is time for people of conscience and faith to draw our own line in the sand: We will be loving and respectful to all people. We will oppose bullying and unfair treatment of all people. But we will not equate homosexuality with gender and skin color, and we will not celebrate that which we morally and spiritually oppose.

And so, Mr. President, we will not be intimidated, and to use your terms, in the spirit of Seneca Falls, Selma, and Stonewall, we will stand up for what we believe is right, regardless of cost or consequences.

If we agreed with you, sir, that there is no moral or social distinction between homosexuality and heterosexuality and that homosexuality was innate and immutable, we too would champion this cause. But we do not agree, sir, and in the spirit of Martin Luther King and others whom you hail, we will not compromise our convictions, come what may.
Because evidently, at this very moment, the evil Liberals are out there making any and ALL opposition ot gay rights criminal and illegal!
That saying anything against the gays will be met with harsh actions! Oh wait thats not happening...

But once again it goes right to the heart of how the far right Think America works...
For ages the far right bangs this drum of FEAR when it comes to gay rights.. That THE GAYS Will come for you!
They will march into YOUR church and FORCE your priest to marry them!
They will march into YOUR schools and FORCE your teachers to tech your kids about sodomy!
They will march into YOUR homes and FORCE you to do as they say! Think as they think! And if you try and oppose them, they will punish you!

And WHY do they have this bizarre Orwellian view about what they think gays will do to America?
Because it is Exactly what the Far Right WANTS to do to America themselves...
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:Rather refreshing stuff to hear if I do say so myself! A sitting president using words like "Our gay brothers" is impressive to say the least.
I disagree. It's not impressive given that his statements are negated by the fact that he wants to leave it up to the states. For some reason, people overlook this. By leaving it to the states, you guarantee anti-gay marriage stances in the South for a long, long time.
While the president opposes the federal Defense of Marriage law that defines marriage as a union of a man and a woman, he doesn't plan to pursue new U.S. policy on gay marriage, aides said, because he believes states should decide the issue.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 29926.html
Channel72
Jedi Council Member

Post by Channel72 »

JLTucker wrote:I disagree. It's not impressive given that his statements are negated by the fact that he wants to leave it up to the states. For some reason, people overlook this. By leaving it to the states, you guarantee anti-gay marriage stances in the South for a long, long time.
Yeah - Obama gets to go down in history as a freedom-fighter for gay rights, without actually legislating anything. Regardless, gay people living in some parts of the deep south face much worse problems than not being able to legally get married.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I think Obama deserves more credit on the issue of gay rights than you two are giving him. Words may not be as good as legislation, but they have political significance and influence public opinion, and to have a President openly support gay rights is a big deal. There's also the repeal of Don't Ask Don't Tell. Does that not count as legislation?
JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

The Romulan Republic wrote:I think Obama deserves more credit on the issue of gay rights than you two are giving him. Words may not be as good as legislation, but they have political significance and influence public opinion, and to have a President openly support gay rights is a big deal. There's also the repeal of Don't Ask Don't Tell. Does that not count as legislation?
By leaving it to the states, he doesn't support gay marriage. Period. The repeal of Don't Ask Don't Tell is good, but it means very little when his own words would have gay marriage banned for decades in various states.
Slacker
Jedi Knight

Post by Slacker »

Except for the fact that there's some evidence that Roe v. Wade actually hardened opposition to abortion rights, so maybe they've decided on a 'soft sell' strategy for the time being until things are even further along. I mean, not for nothing, it's worked real frigging well for the last four or five years.
"I'm sorry, you seem to be under the mistaken impression that your inability to use the brain evolution granted you is any of my fucking concern."
"You. Stupid. Shit." Victor desperately wished he knew enough Japanese to curse properly. "Davions take alot of killing." -Grave Covenant
Founder of the Cult of Weber
Dr. Trainwreck
Jedi Knight

Post by Dr. Trainwreck »

It is called the Fabian strategy: you make small pushes all the time, instead of a single sweeping push, because if you wager it all on a big showdown and then fail, you're fucked. Obama is trying to trade time for certainty, and it looks to be working. I wouldn't say close to success, but the advances are piling up.
Ποταμοῖσι τοῖσιν αὐτοῖσιν ἐμϐαίνουσιν, ἕτερα καὶ ἕτερα ὕδατα ἐπιρρεῖ. Δὶς ἐς τὸν αὐτὸν ποταμὸν οὐκ ἂν ἐμβαίης.

The seller was a Filipino called Dr. Wilson Lim, a self-declared friend of the M.I.L.F. -Grumman
Channel72
Jedi Council Member

Post by Channel72 »

Slacker wrote:Except for the fact that there's some evidence that Roe v. Wade actually hardened opposition to abortion rights, so maybe they've decided on a 'soft sell' strategy for the time being until things are even further along. I mean, not for nothing, it's worked real frigging well for the last four or five years.
On the other hand, there's also evidence that sweeping social reforms like Johnson's Greaty Society and Civil Rights Act actually worked as well.
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

Which is nice, but saying "Another strategy works too" is not an argument against the strategy currently being employed.
CarsonPalmer
Jedi Master

Post by CarsonPalmer »

GuppyShark wrote:Which is nice, but saying "Another strategy works too" is not an argument against the strategy currently being employed.
And, while I am a big admirer of LBJ for his actions on that front, for all the accomplishments of "the big push", the backlash that followed powered the GOP for about 30 years.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

JLTucker wrote:
The Romulan Republic wrote:I think Obama deserves more credit on the issue of gay rights than you two are giving him. Words may not be as good as legislation, but they have political significance and influence public opinion, and to have a President openly support gay rights is a big deal. There's also the repeal of Don't Ask Don't Tell. Does that not count as legislation?
By leaving it to the states, he doesn't support gay marriage. Period. The repeal of Don't Ask Don't Tell is good, but it means very little when his own words would have gay marriage banned for decades in various states.
Some support is better than zero support. Its not perfect, but there is a lot between perfect and zero, except for the simple minded.