CNN and Time's Fareed Zakaria Suspended For Plagiarism

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Re: CNN and Time's Fareed Zakaria Suspended For Plagiarism

Post by Simon_Jester »

Darth Wong wrote:
Simon_Jester wrote:If I had to guess, I'd bet that either this one time, or more likely once every few months at most, Zakaria goes "ugh, I have a headache and I need to finish this in an hour... I'm just going to copy-paste this paragraph, it's pretty much right and I like the look of it.
It seems like an incredibly strange thing to do. I can't imagine it would save that much time compared to re-phrasing it in your own words, and the risk is so high.
Not strange- stupid. A stupid thing to do. But people do stupid things sometimes, so I for one am not totally stunned by this.
Which is not to say I approve, but it's a very different sort of academic crime from someone whose entire CV is a fraud and a fabrication.
Sure, it's not as bad, but that doesn't mean it's not serious because so much of journalism is about presenting an image of "integrity".
Yes, and... put this way.

Zakaria will start writing political essays again. And I will read them and take them seriously. If it had been revealed that half his work of the last ten years was ghost-written by his wife or something, I wouldn't.

Assuming no more evidence of plagiarism comes to light, I don't think this will entirely destroy his career. But that's about all I'm saying.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

A reporter working for Time wouldn't do the "Just copy paragraph cause tired" thing! I presume that's sitting somewhere very high on the NO list, you know. I could understand if that was a Daily Rag reporter, but Time or CNN? Seriously. That's just not possible.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Sute
Youngling

Post by Sute »

The stupidity of doing this makes me wonder if it might have been some sort mistake. Maybe he copied the passage into his piece with the intention of attributing the original author or rephrasing it, got distracted by something else for a while, and then forgot about where that passage came from.

I know that even that sounds stupid, but considering how stupid plagiarism is to begin with...
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Stas Bush wrote:A reporter working for Time wouldn't do the "Just copy paragraph cause tired" thing! I presume that's sitting somewhere very high on the NO list, you know. I could understand if that was a Daily Rag reporter, but Time or CNN? Seriously. That's just not possible.
Wouldn't?

Shouldn't.

Or Sute's idea might be right. Even seemingly very intelligent, capable men can make stupid mistakes once in a while. It may be a sign of cheating or malice.

Or it could just be a random dumb mistake that you can't retract because the excuse would sound foolish. I'm sure we've all made some of those.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov