Radical American Cleric Anwar al-Awlaki Killed

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Re: Radical American Cleric Anwar al-Awlaki Killed

Post by Master of Ossus »

Vympel wrote:Why? Quite frankly, there's no connection at all between what the UNSC says and what the Geneva Conventions say. The UNSC is not a court. Its one thing to say that the UNSC authorised his inclusion on a list regarding economic sanctions, its quite another to use that list to justify his targeted killing under international law. You're talking the difference between black-listing someone and killing them.
This is getting absurd, Vympel. The UNSC is permitted to authorize military force--that is part of their charter. And, in case you hadn't realized this, the UN's ICJ is the body which is charged with adjudicating the Geneva Convention.
In fact, I'm not sure the UNSC even has the authority to provide for the targeted killing of anyone, even if it intended to. Something to look into.
Absolutely it can. The UNSC is permitted to authorize military force by member nations to protect the peace.
When I said "armed organized group" I said it in the sense meant by the Geneva Conventions, hence why I said "for the purposes of the Geneva Conventions".
And how is this different? Are you claiming that "leaders" of armed organized groups are still civilians?
Or more accurately, here's what the US has to say about him and it horse-traded with the other countries on the Council to get them to agree.
The UNSC selected a committee to make these types of decisions for them and they did. How is a statement of fact from that committee not definitive, for purposes of determining whether or not something is true or false for purposes of international law? Are member nations not entitled to take the UNSC at its word?
The UNSC is not a court.
Correct.
The UNSC is simply a collection of powerful countries who get together and agree on things when its convenient for them all to do so.
What absolute bullshit. Not only is it false that the UNSC is "a collection of powerful countries," (unless you consider such regional powerhouses as Gabon, Bosnia and Herzegovena, and Lebanon to be powerful countries), but it's absurd to dismiss them as having no authority over these types of decisions or to denigrate their powers to being subservient to courts tasked with enforcing their decisions.
None of these accusations have been vetted by any independent finders of fact in the slightest (and the list has been criticised precisely on the grounds that it lacks standards of evidence and transparency for placing people on the list).
Which is irrelevant to deciding whether or not nations may rely upon the list as being true, which (in fact) they must, in accordance with the UN Charter.
UN Charter, 25 wrote:The Members of the United Nations agree to accept and carry out the decisions of the Security Council in accordance with the present Charter.
Indeed, Al-Awlaki himself said that whilst he supported what Adbdulmutallab did, he did not tell him to do it - which is in stark contrast to the numerous assertions that Al-Awlaki has admitted to every heinous thing the US has accused him of doing. And his involvement with Adbdulmutallab is pretty much the only specific thing that the list asserts. The rest is so vague as to be useless, which is unsurprising because its not a charge sheet.
Which, again, is irrelevant. Member nations must rely upon findings by the UNSC. You cannot instruct them to ignore what the UNSC says on such matters. While it could be argued that the UNSC needs to revisit any particular case, that would not make the US action against Awlaki illegal--the US could reasonably have relied upon the UNSC to designate someone a leader of AQAP--a group against which the US is currently involved in an ongoing armed conflict. Member nations of the UN are not obligated (in fact, they are forbidden from) second-guessing the UNSC in such matters. States have to accept what the UNSC says as true.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

This is getting absurd, Vympel. The UNSC is permitted to authorize military force--that is part of their charter. And, in case you hadn't realized this, the UN's ICJ is the body which is charged with adjudicating the Geneva Convention.

Absolutely it can. The UNSC is permitted to authorize military force by member nations to protect the peace.
Except they didn't authorise the targeting killing of Al-Awlaki, did they? You're picking and choosing here - evidence (if any!) that is considered sufficient to blacklist someone in terms of travel and bank accounts and what not is worlds away from justifying an authorisation of military force. Which simply didn't happen here.

The entire argument is invalid. It is for the UNSC - not individual members trying to flagrantly lawyer about with past, irrelevant resolutions - to make those decisions. This is no different from the completely specious reasoning flouted by people back in 2003 trying to pretend the invasion and regime change of Iraq was legal under international law because of Iraq shooting at aircraft enforcing no-fly zones - which were themselves never authorised by the UN.
And how is this different? Are you claiming that "leaders" of armed organized groups are still civilians?
I'm not convinced he's a leader.
What absolute bullshit. Not only is it false that the UNSC is "a collection of powerful countries," (unless you consider such regional powerhouses as Gabon, Bosnia and Herzegovena, and Lebanon to be powerful countries), but it's absurd to dismiss them as having no authority over these types of decisions or to denigrate their powers to being subservient to courts tasked with enforcing their decisions.
???? The UNSC doesn't decide how the Geneva Conventions are administered, the courts do. Are you seriously claiming that if a subject went before the ICJ accused of a crime and all the prosecution had was his inclusion on this list, that would be the end of it? People can be found guilty just because the UNSC says so?
Which is irrelevant to deciding whether or not nations may rely upon the list as being true, which (in fact) they must, in accordance with the UN Charter.
Not for targeted killing.
Which, again, is irrelevant. Member nations must rely upon findings by the UNSC. You cannot instruct them to ignore what the UNSC says on such matters. While it could be argued that the UNSC needs to revisit any particular case, that would not make the US action against Awlaki illegal--the US could reasonably have relied upon the UNSC to designate someone a leader of AQAP--a group against which the US is currently involved in an ongoing armed conflict. Member nations of the UN are not obligated (in fact, they are forbidden from) second-guessing the UNSC in such matters. States have to accept what the UNSC says as true.
Its plainly invalid reasoning to assert that the killing of Alwaki was legal because he was placed on a list under a resolution that does not authorise killing. And its just obviously specious reasoning to act like the UNSC placing him on such a list constitutes unimpeachable evidence that Awlaki is guilty of everything the US says he is (and therefore a combatant who can be legally killed), as if the mere dictates of the UNSC - are now supreme truth. They are not.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Vympel wrote:Except they didn't authorise the targeting killing of Al-Awlaki, did they? You're picking and choosing here - evidence (if any!) that is considered sufficient to blacklist someone in terms of travel and bank accounts and what not is worlds away from justifying an authorisation of military force. Which simply didn't happen here.
I'm not claiming that the resolution specifically authorized the killing of Awlaki. I'm saying that it definitively shows that he is a leader of AQAP for purposes of member states' actions.

It's also bullshit that "evidence considered sufficient to blacklist someone ... is world's away from justifying an authorisation of military force." The evidence is either sufficient to support a finding or it isn't.
The entire argument is invalid. It is for the UNSC - not individual members trying to flagrantly lawyer about with past, irrelevant resolutions - to make those decisions. This is no different from the completely specious reasoning flouted by people back in 2003 trying to pretend the invasion and regime change of Iraq was legal under international law because of Iraq shooting at aircraft enforcing no-fly zones - which were themselves never authorised by the UN.
Way to poison the well. It's totally false that this reasoning is similar to what you are describing, because that relied on a false claim that the UNSC said something that it didn't say. My argument is that the resolution shows that he is a leader of AQAP (something which... you know... it directly states). AQAP is an armed group engaged in an ongoing armed conflict with the US. The US is, therefore, entitled to use force against its leaders, including Awlaki. I have no idea how you're analogizing this to a claim that a resolution not authorizing military force authorizes military force. All the work that the US needs the Resolution here to do is to show that Awlaki was a leader of AQAP, which it did.
I'm not convinced he's a leader.
And damn the UNSC for saying that he was!
???? The UNSC doesn't decide how the Geneva Conventions are administered, the courts do.
WHICH COURT, MORON?

Oh, yeah. The ICJ. The one which is part of the UN.
Are you seriously claiming that if a subject went before the ICJ accused of a crime and all the prosecution had was his inclusion on this list, that would be the end of it? People can be found guilty just because the UNSC says so?
I'm saying that if the UNSC declares someone to be a legitimate military target that would clearly be the end of it. Here, the UNSC functionally did that only for countries which are engaged in an ongoing armed conflict with AQAP by naming him a leader of AQAP.
Not for targeted killing.
Evidence? There is absolutely nothing in the UN Charter which makes "targeted killing" magically different from all other UNSC resolutions.

Post proof or retract.
Its plainly invalid reasoning to assert that the killing of Alwaki was legal because he was placed on a list under a resolution that does not authorise killing.
Except that that list states that he is a leader of a group engaged in an ongoing armed conflict with the US. If, in fact, he is such a leader (which the resolution states that he is, then the US operation against him must therefore be legal.
And its just obviously specious reasoning to act like the UNSC placing him on such a list constitutes unimpeachable evidence that Awlaki is guilty of everything the US says he is (and therefore a combatant who can be legally killed), as if the mere dictates of the UNSC - are now supreme truth. They are not.
I never claimed that it did, but it does make him unimpeachably a leader in AQAP (the US can claim other things about him which the resolution does not definitively show). This is something that the resolution directly asserts. Your argument boils down to, "Well, yeah, okay, the US is entitled to use military force against members of AQAP. And, yeah, the UNSC says that he's a leader of AQAP... But it doesn't really mean that. I mean... sure, the UNSC is empowered to authorize use of military force and obligated to defending the international peace and all that, and sure, member nations of the UN are required by the UN Charter to accept what they say, but still the UNSC really they can't be trusted to mean what they say at all because.... well it's just different for reasons that I can't explain. And, besides, I personally am not 100% convinced that Awlaki was a leader of AQAP. Therefore the US strike was illegal. So there."
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Master of Ossus wrote: I'm not claiming that the resolution specifically authorized the killing of Awlaki. I'm saying that it definitively shows that he is a leader of AQAP for purposes of member states' actions.

It's also bullshit that "evidence considered sufficient to blacklist someone ... is world's away from justifying an authorisation of military force." The evidence is either sufficient to support a finding or it isn't.
The notion that "evidence" supports the finding is unsupported nonsense in the first place. Do you honestly think that each and every member of the UNSC would have no compunctions about putting someone on this list if it was a kill list?
Way to poison the well. It's totally false that this reasoning is similar to what you are describing, because that relied on a false claim that the UNSC said something that it didn't say.
Its true in so far as you're using the resolution as support for something it was never intended to support. I'm not seeing any significant difference here.
My argument is that the resolution shows that he is a leader of AQAP (something which... you know... it directly states). AQAP is an armed group engaged in an ongoing armed conflict with the US. The US is, therefore, entitled to use force against its leaders, including Awlaki. I have no idea how you're analogizing this to a claim that a resolution not authorizing military force authorizes military force. All the work that the US needs the Resolution here to do is to show that Awlaki was a leader of AQAP, which it did.
Which is simply bullshit. UNSC resolutions putting someone on a sanctions list do not constitute evidence or a presumption for the purposes of the Geneva Conventions that someone can be lawfully killed. That is an invention, and I defy you to find me a single principal or precedent of international law which states that is the case.
And damn the UNSC for saying that he was!
Not for the purposes of the Geneva Convention, they didn't.
WHICH COURT, MORON?

Oh, yeah. The ICJ. The one which is part of the UN.
ROFLMAO. By that logic, the US Supreme Court need only hear the declarations of the US President to decide that someone is guilty and should be executed, and never mind independent verification of facts and evidence, right? I mean, after all, the Supreme Court is part of the United States! :roll:

And if you mean a court at all, the applicable court would be the ICC, not the ICJ. Which is legally and functionally independent of the UN.

(the UNSC does have authority to administer the Geneva Conventions, but in doing so it establishes a court - hence the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda and the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia- because no one would accept a situation where the UNSC is just lording it over the world aribtrarily and without transparency administering 'justice')
I'm saying that if the UNSC declares someone to be a legitimate military target that would clearly be the end of it. Here, the UNSC functionally did that only for countries which are engaged in an ongoing armed conflict with AQAP by naming him a leader of AQAP.
It "functionally" did that? Which is a euphemism for saying it clearly never intended to declare a single person on that list a legitimate military target because that's not the purpose of the resolution - but it should be treated as doing so anyway.

Just how is this different from my no-fly zones example, again? You're picking gnat shit out of pepper.
Evidence? There is absolutely nothing in the UN Charter which makes "targeted killing" magically different from all other UNSC resolutions.

Post proof or retract.
Evidence? Read the fucking resolution. Nations under that list are directed to do certain things. Not anything they want.
Except that that list states that he is a leader of a group engaged in an ongoing armed conflict with the US. If, in fact, he is such a leader (which the resolution states that he is, then the US operation against him must therefore be legal.
Not for the purposes of the Geneva Conventions it doesn't, and indeed it does not have that authority, because it is not a court and not a finder of fact.
I never claimed that it did, but it does make him unimpeachably a leader in AQAP (the US can claim other things about him which the resolution does not definitively show). This is something that the resolution directly asserts. Your argument boils down to, "Well, yeah, okay, the US is entitled to use military force against members of AQAP. And, yeah, the UNSC says that he's a leader of AQAP... But it doesn't really mean that. I mean... sure, the UNSC is empowered to authorize use of military force and obligated to defending the international peace and all that, and sure, member nations of the UN are required by the UN Charter to accept what they say, but still the UNSC really they can't be trusted to mean what they say at all because.... well it's just different for reasons that I can't explain. And, besides, I personally am not 100% convinced that Awlaki was a leader of AQAP. Therefore the US strike was illegal. So there."
I like it how you pretend you care about what the UNSC says right up until the moment it ceases being covnenient to do so - i.e. that the UNSC in the relevant resolution never authorised the killing of anyone. So all this talk about defendin the international peace and all that is simply mendacious. You've just made up your own principles on the spot, like your absurd notion that what the UNSC says is binding on the ICJ (or indeed any court) - an argument so flagrantly contrary to the principles of procedural fairness, transparency, natural justice, and the right to a fair trial as to beggar belief that you could propose it with a straight face.

As for "Therefore the US strike was illegal" - this started when someone claimed that the strike was legal under international law. I've never definitively stated that the strike was illegal, because I don't actually know whether he fits the bill as a legitimate military target given the circumstances he was killed in. I disputed the claims that the strike was "legal" as the amateurish cherry-pick lawyering it is, which relies wholly on believing every assertion of the perpetrator of the strike and making up your own bullshit version of the law.
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Vympel wrote:The notion that "evidence" supports the finding is unsupported nonsense in the first place.
Why? The Committee is obligated to review the evidence prior to placing anyone on the list.
Do you honestly think that each and every member of the UNSC would have no compunctions about putting someone on this list if it was a kill list?
I don't really know, nor do I care about their personal feelings. The point is that Awlaki was on the list as a leader of AQAP.
Its true in so far as you're using the resolution as support for something it was never intended to support. I'm not seeing any significant difference here.
Mine is drawing a necessary conclusion from the exact words of a UNSC statement. There is absolutely no level of abstraction involved, nor is there reinterpretation.
Which is simply bullshit. UNSC resolutions putting someone on a sanctions list do not constitute evidence or a presumption for the purposes of the Geneva Conventions that someone can be lawfully killed. That is an invention, and I defy you to find me a single principal or precedent of international law which states that is the case.
Nice strawman. The Geneva Conventions permit the targeting of legitimate military targets: a group which (necessarily) includes the leadership of groups involved in ongoing armed conflicts with the targeting party. By officially naming an individual as a leader of a group, the UNSC necessarily defines that person as a legitimate military target for any and all countries involved in ongoing armed conflicts with that group.
Not for the purposes of the Geneva Convention, they didn't.
So you're saying that a leader of a group involved in an ongoing armed conflict is not a legitimate military target for purposes of the Geneva Convention?
ROFLMAO. By that logic, the US Supreme Court need only hear the declarations of the US President to decide that someone is guilty and should be executed, and never mind independent verification of facts and evidence, right? I mean, after all, the Supreme Court is part of the United States! :roll:
What a blatant false analogy. The structure of the UN is not remotely analogous to the structure of the US Federal Government. Must you continue to roll out tortured analogies while ignoring the blatantly obvious?
It "functionally" did that? Which is a euphemism for saying it clearly never intended to declare a single person on that list a legitimate military target because that's not the purpose of the resolution - but it should be treated as doing so anyway.

Just how is this different from my no-fly zones example, again? You're picking gnat shit out of pepper.
When the UNSC reviews specific allegations and draws conclusions about certain facts, these conclusions are not magically limited to the scope of the resolution and not true for any other purpose. Post evidence to support this absurd line of reasoning.
Evidence? Read the fucking resolution. Nations under that list are directed to do certain things. Not anything they want.
And this is relevant how?

ALL nations are directed to do certain actions; it doesn't preclude other nations from doing more. And keep in mind, this is all being done in context of an active, shooting war with Al Qaeda. Do you really think that the members of the UNSC were blithely ignorant to the fact that most of the people on the list were already targets for several of the countries that make up the UNSC and the rest of the UN?
Not for the purposes of the Geneva Conventions it doesn't, and indeed it does not have that authority, because it is not a court and not a finder of fact.
How is a statement from the UNSC invalid "for the purposes of the Geneva Convention?" If the UNSC said, "Thou shalt target this person for death using military force," wouldn't that be relevant?

Moreover, the Committee was specifically directed to review the evidence of the case and it still drew the conclusion that Awlaki was a leader of al Qaeda AP, remember? You can't get around this inconvenient truth by plugging your ears to it: if there's enough evidence for the UNSC to conclude that this is a true and accurate statement, how is that not sufficient to justify an American military operation?
I like it how you pretend you care about what the UNSC says right up until the moment it ceases being covnenient to do so - i.e. that the UNSC in the relevant resolution never authorised the killing of anyone.
Because it didn't have to, you dishonest dipshit. America's authorization to kill Al Qaeda leadership does not derive from UNSC statements, but from the inherent right to self-defense against groups with which it is engaged in an ongoing armed conflict.
So all this talk about defendin the international peace and all that is simply mendacious. You've just made up your own principles on the spot, like your absurd notion that what the UNSC says is binding on the ICJ (or indeed any court) - an argument so flagrantly contrary to the principles of procedural fairness, transparency, natural justice, and the right to a fair trial as to beggar belief that you could propose it with a straight face.
Blather on, moron. It doesn't get around the fact that the UNSC specifically reviewed the facts of the case and the evidence submitted and concluded that Awlaki was an Al Qaeda leader who was actively taking part in planning and executing terror attacks. That's more than adequate for the purposes of the Geneva Convention, as is the statement from the UNSC that the guy is a leader.
As for "Therefore the US strike was illegal" - this started when someone claimed that the strike was legal under international law. I've never definitively stated that the strike was illegal, because I don't actually know whether he fits the bill as a legitimate military target given the circumstances he was killed in. I disputed the claims that the strike was "legal" as the amateurish cherry-pick lawyering it is, which relies wholly on believing every assertion of the perpetrator of the strike and making up your own bullshit version of the law.
And the fact that the UNSC independently reviewed the evidence it was supplied with against Awlaki and independently concluded that it was sufficient to describe him as a leader of AQAP, and that he was actively involved in planning and executing terror attacks qualifies as "cherry-pick lawyering?"

If so, it strikes me as dramatically better than "ignore all evidence" lawyering.

Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Why? The Committee is obligated to review the evidence prior to placing anyone on the list.

Moreover, the Committee was specifically directed to review the evidence of the case and it still drew the conclusion that Awlaki was a leader of al Qaeda AP, remember? You can't get around this inconvenient truth by plugging your ears to it: if there's enough evidence for the UNSC to conclude that this is a true and accurate statement, how is that not sufficient to justify an American military operation?
Under *what* standards of evidence? With what due process? None whatsoever. And the accuser is also the bloody judge! Yeah, clearly an unimpeachable legal basis for his killing. :banghead:
I don't really know, nor do I care about their personal feelings. The point is that Awlaki was on the list as a leader of AQAP.
Which has nothing to do with whether something was legal under the Geneva Conventions, no matter how much you insist it does.
Mine is drawing a necessary conclusion from the exact words of a UNSC statement. There is absolutely no level of abstraction involved, nor is there reinterpretation.
Yes there is. You're converting something that does not carry the weight of evidence determined to be true by competent and impartial finders of fact into just that.
Nice strawman. The Geneva Conventions permit the targeting of legitimate military targets: a group which (necessarily) includes the leadership of groups involved in ongoing armed conflicts with the targeting party. By officially naming an individual as a leader of a group, the UNSC necessarily defines that person as a legitimate military target for any and all countries involved in ongoing armed conflicts with that group.
Strawman? How's it a strawman, you dumbass? You just said what I said you were saying. So again:- I defy you to find me a single principle that says its the case.
So you're saying that a leader of a group involved in an ongoing armed conflict is not a legitimate military target for purposes of the Geneva Convention?
Prove he can be lawfuly killed under the Geneva Conventions. A UNSC resolution placing him on a sanctions list is not proof.
What a blatant false analogy. The structure of the UN is not remotely analogous to the structure of the US Federal Government. Must you continue to roll out tortured analogies while ignoring the blatantly obvious?
Then I'm sure you'll have no problem pointing out where the structure of the UN supports your claims won't your?

And by the way - its really fucking interesting that you outright snipped the part where I called you on your ignorance of international criminal courts and how the UN actually works in relation to the Geneva Conventions, so here we go again:-

And if you mean a court at all, the applicable court would be the ICC, not the ICJ. Which is legally and functionally independent of the UN.

(the UNSC does have authority to administer the Geneva Conventions, but in doing so it establishes a court - hence the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda and the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia- because no one would accept a situation where the UNSC is just lording it over the world aribtrarily and without transparency administering 'justice')

When the UNSC reviews specific allegations and draws conclusions about certain facts, these conclusions are not magically limited to the scope of the resolution and not true for any other purpose. Post evidence to support this absurd line of reasoning.
I already did- your ludicrous line of reasoning proposes that the UNSC can bind international criminal courts and automatically pass judgement on those before said courts. This is flagrantly contrary to the principals of justice - which are as central in international criminal law as they are anywhere else - and demonstrably not how the UN actually administers the Geneva Conventions when it elects to do so.
And this is relevant how?

ALL nations are directed to do certain actions; it doesn't preclude other nations from doing more.
What absurd sophistry! Remind me again how this is different from seeking to justify the existence of no-fly zones when the UN resolution invoked to support their creation - never did?
And keep in mind, this is all being done in context of an active, shooting war with Al Qaeda. Do you really think that the members of the UNSC were blithely ignorant to the fact that most of the people on the list were already targets for several of the countries that make up the UNSC and the rest of the UN?
Do you really think that the members of the UNSC thought that said countries had appropriated for themselves the right to kill anyone they think is a terrorist in whatever circumstances?
How is a statement from the UNSC invalid "for the purposes of the Geneva Convention?"
Because the UNSC cannot competently determine what actions are and aren't permissible in the laws of armed conflict by fiat, you ignoramus! That's why it establishes courts to decide these issues on a case by case basis.
If the UNSC said, "Thou shalt target this person for death using military force," wouldn't that be relevant?
Not only did this not ever happen, it would never happen, for the reasons I already stated, so this is a damn fool question.
Because it didn't have to, you dishonest dipshit. America's authorization to kill Al Qaeda leadership does not derive from UNSC statements
ROFLMAO - then what the fuck are you talking about the UNSC for? What a waste of time.
but from the inherent right to self-defense against groups with which it is engaged in an ongoing armed conflict.
Ah yes, if it isn't the empty clarion call of "self-defence" sounded for time immemorial. How very convincing :)

Why don't you just admit it - you find Awalki and odious human being (which he is) so you're just picking around desperately coming up with half-baked, dumbassed and legally ignorant arguments for why his killing was legal as opposed to considering the actual facts?
Blather on, moron. It doesn't get around the fact that the UNSC specifically reviewed the facts of the case and the evidence submitted and concluded that Awlaki was an Al Qaeda leader who was actively taking part in planning and executing terror attacks. That's more than adequate for the purposes of the Geneva Convention, as is the statement from the UNSC that the guy is a leader.
If there's a more effective summary for why you have no business talking to a lawyer (that's me) about what's legal, there we have it - procedural fairness, transparency, natural justice, and the right to a fair trial?

Blather! The UNSC declared it to be so! They are the monarchs of our planet! How authoritarian - its clear that for you law is just something to be pillaged without rhyme or reason to come up with justifications for something after the fact, as opposed to a set of rules founded on basic principles of justice.
And the fact that the UNSC independently reviewed the evidence it was supplied with against Awlaki and independently concluded that it was sufficient to describe him as a leader of AQAP, and that he was actively involved in planning and executing terror attacks qualifies as "cherry-pick lawyering?"

If so, it strikes me as dramatically better than "ignore all evidence" lawyering.
Luckily, secret "evidence" is no evidence at all. Its amazing how the basic legal principles that protect all of us from the predations of the powerful get treated with so little respect the moment they relate to someone who we don't like, isn't it?
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Vympel wrote:Under *what* standards of evidence?
By consensus of the UN Security Council.

And, by all means, what standard of evidence is required under the Geneva Conventions? Oh, yeah, that's right. It's supposed to be a functional, applicable series of rules which can be broadly applicable even under combat conditions.
With what due process? None whatsoever. And the accuser is also the bloody judge! Yeah, clearly an unimpeachable legal basis for his killing. :banghead:
Uh... except for all this:
Under paragraph 17 of resolution 1822 (2008) which was reaffirmed in paragraph 19 of resolution 1904 (2009), Member States receiving such notification are required to take, in accordance with their domestic laws and practices, all possible measures to notify or inform in a timely manner, the listed individual or entity of the measures imposed on them, any information on reasons for listing available on the Committee’s website as well as all the information provided by the Secretariat in the above-mentioned notification.
Under paragraph 15 (b) of Annex II of resolution 1904 (2009), where the address is known, the Office of the Ombudsperson shall also notify individuals or entities about the status of their listing, after the Secretariat has officially notified the Permanent Mission of the State or States, pursuant to paragraph 18 of the resolution.
Also, unless the Committee decides otherwise, any new entry to the Consolidated List will be transmitted to Interpol to request, where feasible, the issuance of an Interpol-United Nations Security Council Special Notice.
Any Member State requiring further assistance on this issue may contact the Committee’s Secretariat through the Committee’s e-mail at: SC-1267-Committee@un.org or fax: +1 212 963 1300.
And the extensive de-listing procedure, which is further detailed. Other than that, none whatsoever.

But I'm curious as to what due process you consider to be required, here.
Which has nothing to do with whether something was legal under the Geneva Conventions, no matter how much you insist it does.
How, exactly, is it irrelevant? If a group is at war with another group, don't you consider a consensus view of the UNSC on the leadership of the second group to be relevant for purposes of evaluating whether they are a legitimate military target?

I am genuinely perplexed by your stance on this. How can such a consensus statement from a group which does, in fact, have the authority to authorize use of military force, not be relevant at all for such determinations?

What "evidence" (I use that term loosely since this is not a judicial action) do you think can be relevant to making determinations of whether or not someone is a legitimate military target, and how can the UNSC not be a competent body for evaluating this evidence?
Yes there is. You're converting something that does not carry the weight of evidence determined to be true by competent and impartial finders of fact into just that.
And what weight of evidence is required by the Geneva Convention? Enlighten us, Vympel.
Strawman? How's it a strawman, you dumbass? You just said what I said you were saying. So again:- I defy you to find me a single principle that says its the case.
You don't see how the UNSC naming someone as a leader of a group engaged in an ongoing armed conflict with a country makes that person a legitimate military target? What would be required, in your view, for someone to become a legitimate military target?
Prove he can be lawfuly killed under the Geneva Conventions. A UNSC resolution placing him on a sanctions list is not proof.
Legitimate military targets can be lawfully killed under the Geneva Conventions, remember? A leader of a group engaged in an ongoing armed conflict with another country is a legitimate military target.
Then I'm sure you'll have no problem pointing out where the structure of the UN supports your claims won't your?
Which claim is that? That the UNSC's statements have some relevance on whether or not someone is a legitimate military target?

And recall that factual findings by a legislative body are often above the perusal of courts in the first place.
And by the way - its really fucking interesting that you outright snipped the part where I called you on your ignorance of international criminal courts and how the UN actually works in relation to the Geneva Conventions, so here we go again:-

I don't really give a shit which court actually administers the law in this area. I'm curious as to why you think that a statement by the UNSC is not relevant to settling a case like this.

I already did- your ludicrous line of reasoning proposes that the UNSC can bind international criminal courts and automatically pass judgement on those before said courts. This is flagrantly contrary to the principals of justice - which are as central in international criminal law as they are anywhere else - and demonstrably not how the UN actually administers the Geneva Conventions when it elects to do so.
So you're claiming that the UNSC's statements on the matter are not relevant? This makes absolutely zero sense, and you know it. The UNSC's statements are extremely relevant because they establish the facts that UN member states are bound to accept.

How can a state possibly violate the Geneva Conventions by accepting a UNSC statement?
What absurd sophistry! Remind me again how this is different from seeking to justify the existence of no-fly zones when the UN resolution invoked to support their creation - never did?
Keep in mind, the US's armed conflict with Al Qaeda has absolutely nothing to do with UNSC authorization--authority for it has always derived from the inherent right to self-defense--something that I've already explained to you and which you have deliberately ignored.
Do you really think that the members of the UNSC thought that said countries had appropriated for themselves the right to kill anyone they think is a terrorist in whatever circumstances?
WHAT? That's not at all what I've argued.

A better question is whether you think that the UNSC was ignorant of the fact that a state on the UNSC engaged in an ongoing armed conflict would not believe that someone who, by consensus among the members of the UNSC, is a leader of that group would nonetheless not be considered a legitimate military target. That is simply absurd.
Because the UNSC cannot competently determine what actions are and aren't permissible in the laws of armed conflict by fiat, you ignoramus! That's why it establishes courts to decide these issues on a case by case basis.
If the UNSC said, "Thou shalt target this person for death using military force," wouldn't that be relevant?
Not only did this not ever happen, it would never happen, for the reasons I already stated, so this is a damn fool question.
So you now believe that the UNSC is not permitted to authorize the use of military force?
ROFLMAO - then what the fuck are you talking about the UNSC for? What a waste of time.
Because it's relevant to establishing leadership of AQAP, you fucking idiot. Your inability to understand even the simplest logical and legal connections is simply astounding.
but from the inherent right to self-defense against groups with which it is engaged in an ongoing armed conflict.
Ah yes, if it isn't the empty clarion call of "self-defence" sounded for time immemorial. How very convincing :)
Why don't you just admit it - you find Awalki and odious human being (which he is) so you're just picking around desperately coming up with half-baked, dumbassed and legally ignorant arguments for why his killing was legal as opposed to considering the actual facts?
I don't really care about Awlaki, but I'll be damned if I let you run around and claim that his killing was anything other than absolutely, 100% legal. Keep in mind, this board has a long history of having members decry such operations as the killing of Osama bin Laden as being (somehow) illegal under international law, so you'll forgive me for being rather skeptical of such claims of illegality of targeted killing operations.

K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Master of Ossus wrote:By consensus of the UN Security Council. ... I don't really give a shit which court actually administers the law in this area. I'm curious as to why you think that a statement by the UNSC is not relevant to settling a case like this.
If you seriously think that the consensus of the UNSC can determine whether something is legal, think again.

I find it laughable for you to ask that any nation file against the USA in the ICJ and get something out of it:
The Republic of Nicaragua v. The United States of America[1] was a 1984 case of the International Court of Justice (ICJ) in which the ICJ ruled in favor of Nicaragua and against the United States and awarded reparations to Nicaragua. The ICJ held that the U.S. had violated international law by supporting the Contras in their rebellion against the Nicaraguan government and by mining Nicaragua's harbors. The United States refused to participate in the proceedings after the Court rejected its argument that the ICJ lacked jurisdiction to hear the case. The U.S. later blocked enforcement of the judgment by the United Nations Security Council and thereby prevented Nicaragua from obtaining any actual compensation.[2] The Nicaraguan government finally withdrew the complaint from the court in September 1992 (under the later, post-FSLN, government of Violeta Chamorro), following a repeal of the law requiring the country to seek compensation.[3]

The Court found in its verdict that the United States was "in breach of its obligations under customary international law not to use force against another State", "not to intervene in its affairs", "not to violate its sovereignty", "not to interrupt peaceful maritime commerce", and "in breach of its obligations under Article XIX of the Treaty of Friendship, Commerce and Navigation between the Parties signed at Managua on 21 January 1956."
So Nicaragua filed, won and... got fucked.

Stay classy USA!
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

By consensus of the UN Security Council.
That's not a standard of evidence. That's just saying "the UNSC says so." This is therefore not an answer.
And, by all means, what standard of evidence is required under the Geneva Conventions? Oh, yeah, that's right. It's supposed to be a functional, applicable series of rules which can be broadly applicable even under combat conditions.
The standards of evidence applicable to whether the Geneva Conventions are those applied by a COURT. Which I have stated multiple times now.

Tell me - why did you - again - outright snip the part where I pointed out how the UN actually administers the Geneva Conventions - by establishing courts?

Is it because it totally destroys your totally made up but-it-makes-sense-to-you argument as to how the UNSC and the Geneva Conventions interact?
Uh... except for all this:
What is that suppossed to be? The existence of a prefunctory bureaucratic procedure for putting someone on a list is not due process, no more than an autocrat arbitrarily deciding someone is an enemy of the state and should be killed by signing the relevant form is.
And the extensive de-listing procedure, which is further detailed. Other than that, none whatsoever.

But I'm curious as to what due process you consider to be required, here.
"Extensive de-listing procedure" my ass. All that happens is that an 'accused' for lack of a better term can petition the UN to be de-listed, which is then forwarded to the designating governments, and either considered or rejected.

No right to challenge the evidence on which they were listed, which remains entirely secret, and no right to cross-exmaine their accusers.

Due process ... please, its an absurd claim.
How, exactly, is it irrelevant? If a group is at war with another group, don't you consider a consensus view of the UNSC on the leadership of the second group to be relevant for purposes of evaluating whether they are a legitimate military target?

I am genuinely perplexed by your stance on this. How can such a consensus statement from a group which does, in fact, have the authority to authorize use of military force, not be relevant at all for such determinations?

What "evidence" (I use that term loosely since this is not a judicial action) do you think can be relevant to making determinations of whether or not someone is a legitimate military target, and how can the UNSC not be a competent body for evaluating this evidence?
Its really not that difficult a concept - the UNSC simply did not and does not declare by fiat whether someone has or has not broken the laws of armed conflict. The Geneva Conventions are administered by courts of law - wherein the accused (hypothetically the Obama administration) can proffer his evidence before the court and the court then passes judgement.
And what weight of evidence is required by the Geneva Convention? Enlighten us, Vympel.
Evidence that is put before an impartial court to be adjudicated on, as opposed to unchallenged 'secret' evidence the veracity of which is completely unknown.

Really basic stuff, this is. Do you know anything about how civilized courts work? or do you think its like that "a murderer was put to death today" scene in Starship Troopers? :roll:
You don't see how the UNSC naming someone as a leader of a group engaged in an ongoing armed conflict with a country makes that person a legitimate military target? What would be required, in your view, for someone to become a legitimate military target?
You didn't answer my question, so I'll ask it again - find me a single principle in the administration of the Geneva Conventions - which you could easily do by simply reviewing the records of the ICY or ICR - that says UNSC decrees can be used to do an end run around courts independently deciding whether the laws of armed conflict were or were not broken.

As for what would be required for someone to be considered a legitimate military target, I've already been over that exhaustively by reference to what the Geneva Conventions say. In legal proceedings for any hypothetical prosecution for Awlaki's death, Awlaki would have to be proven - with verified evidence - that he either assumed a continuous combat function or that he was a civilian who at the time he was killed was directly participating in hostilities. Period.
Legitimate military targets can be lawfully killed under the Geneva Conventions, remember? A leader of a group engaged in an ongoing armed conflict with another country is a legitimate military target.
The UNSC never declared him a legitimate military target, even if it was competent to do so.
Which claim is that? That the UNSC's statements have some relevance on whether or not someone is a legitimate military target?

And recall that factual findings by a legislative body are often above the perusal of courts in the first place.
You're simply stalling now - the claim I'm referring to is the claim that the decrees of the UNSC are binding on international criminal courts to determine whether a law has been broken. So again, what do you have about the structure of the UN that supports your claims?

Let's note, for the umpteenth time, that when the UN administers the Geneva Conventions, it establishes courts.

Answer the bloody question.
I don't really give a shit which court actually administers the law in this area. I'm curious as to why you think that a statement by the UNSC is not relevant to settling a case like this.
I don't care what you give a shit about, I care about what the existence of those courts actually prove, and the fact that you keep on snipping the fact that in administering the Geneva Conventions the UN establishes courts to do so rather than just issuing decrees is very interesting, to say the least.

As for "I'm curious as to why" I've answered that question already above.
So you're claiming that the UNSC's statements on the matter are not relevant? This makes absolutely zero sense, and you know it. The UNSC's statements are extremely relevant because they establish the facts that UN member states are bound to accept.
It makes perfect sense if you stop repeating yourself and actually listen to what I'm saying. I note at no stage do you even bother to engage with the point I made - i.e. that your construction flagrantly flies in the face of the principles of justice, and are demonstrably not in accordance with how the Geneva Conventions are actually administered by the UNSC.
How can a state possibly violate the Geneva Conventions by accepting a UNSC statement?
By exceeding the authority imposed by that statement. That resolution was never intended to authorize the death of anyone on that list on any particular state's whims, nor could it ever have any bearing on whether something is or isn't in violation of the Geneva Conventions.
Keep in mind, the US's armed conflict with Al Qaeda has absolutely nothing to do with UNSC authorization--authority for it has always derived from the inherent right to self-defense--something that I've already explained to you and which you have deliberately ignored.
I ignore it because its not relevant. If the US wishes to assert it has 'the right to defend itself' by blowing up Awlaki and who knows who else, then it can do so. It doesn't make it legal, anymore than the calls of any number of nations who try and excuse their actions with the same excuse.
WHAT? That's not at all what I've argued.

A better question is whether you think that the UNSC was ignorant of the fact that a state on the UNSC engaged in an ongoing armed conflict would not believe that someone who, by consensus among the members of the UNSC, is a leader of that group would nonetheless not be considered a legitimate military target. That is simply absurd.
Not at all. What individual countries in the UNSC do or don't know doesn't matter in the fucking slightest, what matters is what the resolution says and doesn't say.
So you now believe that the UNSC is not permitted to authorize the use of military force?
:roll: The UNSC does not target individuals for assassination, and even if it did, it did not, so again, you asked a damn fool question.
Because it's relevant to establishing leadership of AQAP, you fucking idiot. Your inability to understand even the simplest logical and legal connections is simply astounding.
No, dumbfuck, it isn't relevant, for the reasons I've stated repeatedly.
I don't really care about Awlaki, but I'll be damned if I let you run around and claim that his killing was anything other than absolutely, 100% legal.
Well that's too fucking bad, because your confidence is completely ill-founded and made up, and constructed out of a completely amateurish and downright ignorant construction of international law that no credible international lawyer would take seriously for a second. The fact that Awlaki's killing was extremely controversial amongst lawyers who actually know what the hell they're talking about should clue you in as to how cavalier and ignorant your analysis is - that goes double for the fact that this half-assed justification you pulled out of your ass isn't even the justification the US actually used. That justification remains the subject of a secret memo which they refuse to release.

You can imagine why - because they don't want it ripped to shreds by third party lawyers who don't have the sole job for inventing cockamamie quasi-legal justifications for everything the US government does.
Keep in mind, this board has a long history of having members decry such operations as the killing of Osama bin Laden as being (somehow) illegal under international law, so you'll forgive me for being rather skeptical of such claims of illegality of targeted killing operations.
There's actually a whole massive discussion that could be had re: this insistence that the US is in an "armed conflict with Al-Qaeda" so as to make anywhere the US acts anywhere in the world a war zone, but that's a whole other argument.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

So Nicaragua filed, won and... got fucked.

Stay classy USA!
This all goes back to your earlier comment in relation to the utility of international law. Lets get real here:- nothing the US ever does will ever be the subject of meaningful criminal (or "civil") proceedings on the international scale, because the US is powerful enough to simply block anything which it dislikes. The US clearly has, and will continue, to violate international law whenever it pleases whilst anonymous functionaries of its government try and justify it with secret memos blathering on about "the President's authority as Commander in Chief" and "right to self defence" and what not.

But we can still see that if a court ever got a hold of one of these issues and had a fair crack (a fate currently reserved only for shitty third world countries) without the US refusing to participate, it would be pretty interesting. The fact remains that the US saying "but the UNSC said this in a resolution" would not be the end of the matter.