The Latest? SW Pilots Like To Sit In Their Own Shit!

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

Aaron
Blackpowder Man

The Latest? SW Pilots Like To Sit In Their Own Shit!

Post by Aaron »

You heard it here first folks. Not only is hypespace so slow that it took days to reach Endor from Sullest but the pilots on the rebel starfighters didn't mind the fact that they had to live in their own shit for several days!

By the way the entry is by Son-of-CCN:
SON-OF-CCN wrote:
Here's a thought related to the Endor-Sullust trip. If hyperdirve is so slow that it's going to take days to reach Endor than why are the fighters deployed when they leave Sullust? Do you expect the crews to shit in their suits and live aboard their ships for days on end?
It could be done. THose fighters had more room the most of our early space capsules. Remember once in hyperspace all caclulations are done and you can sit back and sleep. Or whatever. It wouldn't be uber-comfterable but it could be done.Plus I have heard some idea that there might be a slow-time effect in hyperspace based off of all time was a moment quote.
M1891/30: A bad day on the range is better then a good day at work.
Civil War Man
NERRRRRDS!!!

Post by Civil War Man »

Makes one wonder how hyperspace would effect the ejection of shit from a space vehicle.

*Wedge ejects shit from his X-wing fighter. The shit, not having hyperspace capabilities of its own, drops into realspace. The mass shadow generated by the shit accidentally decapitates Admiral Ackbar*
Junghalli
Sith Acolyte

Post by Junghalli »

Isn't it possible that the suit has some sort of means of dealing with waste? I know they're at least working on some sort of system for space suits now.
Not that I'm arguing anything, just pointing it out.
Aaron
Blackpowder Man

Post by Aaron »

Junghalli wrote:Isn't it possible that the suit has some sort of means of dealing with waste? I know they're at least working on some sort of system for space suits now.
Not that I'm arguing anything, just pointing it out.
I would hope so but I don't recall seeing any tubes leaving the suit or holes for tubes that could evacuate waste from the suit. Maybe it is shuttled to a bag within the suit?
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

One of the Thrawn books note that one of the reasons X-Wing flights can't last very long is because the pilots lack "fresher" facilities of any sort.
The Rift
Stanislav Petrov- The man who saved the world
Hugh Thompson Jr.- A True American Hero
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope." - President Barack Obama
"May fortune favor you, for your goals are the goals of the world." - Ancient Chall valediction
Instant Sunrise
Jedi Knight
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Angeles del Río de Porciúncula

Post by Instant Sunrise »

Weren't there Gemini missions that lasted for 2 weeks?
Hi, I'm Liz.
SoS: NBA | GALE Force
Twitter
Tumblr
Firefox
Jedi Council Member

Post by Firefox »

Gemini VII lasted exactly two weeks, though as Ire pointed out, X-wings lack any waste disposal facilities. The Gemini was equipped to deal with such problems, however.

And considering the recent thread covering the A-wing size issue, that would have even less space than the Gemini astronauts had available.
Wicked Pilot
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Wicked Pilot »

Let's see if my memory works here; the Rebel force gets to the front door, the Ewok says there's a another secret enterance, the fleet jumps, the ground force arrives at the back door, enters, gets caught, and the fleet jumps out. And this happens over several days?
The most basic assumption about the world is that it does not contradict itself.
Wicked Pilot
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Wicked Pilot »

A little real world FYI, if you hang out around military pilots enough, fighter or heavy, you will hear poop stories. It is simply a fact of life in the community.
The most basic assumption about the world is that it does not contradict itself.
Firefox
Jedi Council Member

Post by Firefox »

Wicked Pilot wrote:Let's see if my memory works here; the Rebel force gets to the front door, the Ewok says there's a another secret enterance, the fleet jumps, the ground force arrives at the back door, enters, gets caught, and the fleet jumps out. And this happens over several days?
Clearly it took several days for the strike force to travel around the base perimeter to reach the back door.

I know, it's fruitless to argue against it, either. :?
Wicked Pilot
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Wicked Pilot »

Firefox wrote:Clearly it took several days for the strike force to travel around the base perimeter to reach the back door.
The Luke, Vader, and Emperor encounter on the Death Star must have taken several days also. They were all wearing dark clothing though so if they crapped themselves it'd be hard to notice.
RThurmont
Jedi Master
Location: Desperately trying to find a local restaurant that serves foie gras.

Post by RThurmont »

Interesting use of the Heinleinian "Fresher" in the Thrawn books, if that's true. The great SF author Robert A. Heinlein had developed this concept for an ultra-luxurious restroom, that was fortunately never fully described in detail, but in his typical style, "Freshers" appeared in everything he wrote.

It is conceivable that liquid and solid waste management technologies are superior in the SW universe, so perhaps starfighters could be modified with them for extended duration journeys.

However, in the case of the Battle of Endor, the timeline proposed here is irrelevant anyway, regardless of whether or not the Rebel pilots were benefitting from some futuristic washroom.
"Here's a nickel, kid. Get yourself a better computer."
Vicious
Jedi Knight

Post by Vicious »

RThurmont wrote:Interesting use of the Heinleinian "Fresher" in the Thrawn books, if that's true. The great SF author Robert A. Heinlein had developed this concept for an ultra-luxurious restroom, that was fortunately never fully described in detail, but in his typical style, "Freshers" appeared in everything he wrote.

It is conceivable that liquid and solid waste management technologies are superior in the SW universe, so perhaps starfighters could be modified with them for extended duration journeys.

However, in the case of the Battle of Endor, the timeline proposed here is irrelevant anyway, regardless of whether or not the Rebel pilots were benefitting from some futuristic washroom.
'fresher in Star Wars simply stands for refresher unit. Sorta like 'droid is short for android. It's a fancy name for a bathroom, and they aren't necessarily luxurious. I don't think they're related to Heinlein's mega-bathrooms.
MFS Angry Wookiee - PRFYNAFBTFC

"We are all atheists about most of the gods that societies have ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further." -Richard Dawkins
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Civil War Man wrote:Makes one wonder how hyperspace would effect the ejection of shit from a space vehicle.

*Wedge ejects shit from his X-wing fighter. The shit, not having hyperspace capabilities of its own, drops into realspace. The mass shadow generated by the shit accidentally decapitates Admiral Ackbar*
Objects released in Hyperspace always remain in Hyperspace, because exiting Hyperspace requires a hyperdrive.
Aaron
Blackpowder Man

Post by Aaron »

Whats this Ewok Pit Problem they keep bringing up? And thanks for the Thrawn book tidbit Noble Ire.
Mange
Sith Marauder

Post by Mange »

Cpl Kendall wrote:Whats this Ewok Pit Problem they keep bringing up? And thanks for the Thrawn book tidbit Noble Ire.
According to the ROTJ novelization, an AT-ST toppled over after having stepped into a pit that had been digged by the Ewoks. Some of the pro-Trek debaters argues that the time needed to dig those pits by the Ewoks would've taken days (together with the other preparations that was made before the Ewok attack).
Aaron
Blackpowder Man

Post by Aaron »

Mange the Swede wrote: According to the ROTJ novelization, an AT-ST toppled over after having stepped into a pit that had been digged by the Ewoks. Some of the pro-Trek debaters argues that the time needed to dig those pits by the Ewoks would've taken days (together with the other preparations that was made before the Ewok attack).
And the Ewoks couldn't have simply prepared all of this in advance? That's the impression I got from the movie. Obviously their industrious little critters.
Mange
Sith Marauder

Post by Mange »

Cpl Kendall wrote:
Mange the Swede wrote: According to the ROTJ novelization, an AT-ST toppled over after having stepped into a pit that had been digged by the Ewoks. Some of the pro-Trek debaters argues that the time needed to dig those pits by the Ewoks would've taken days (together with the other preparations that was made before the Ewok attack).
And the Ewoks couldn't have simply prepared all of this in advance? That's the impression I got from the movie. Obviously their industrious little critters.
Yes, I tried to point that out in the thread "Situation the Federation could do (Copy of SD.net thread)" (Vympel also did that, and he is a much, much better debater than me) but I would've had more success talking to a brick wall. The answer I got was that it was "unreasonable" and that the Ewoks, as a stone-age people, would never move against the Imperial forces and that it would've been impossible for the Ewoks to carry out the preparations without being detected. The pro-Trek debaters stretched it to two weeks of preparation:
++http://www.strek-v-swars.net/phpBB2/vie ... weeks#5626

On page 15 on that thread, the range four days to two weeks was then suggested. :roll:
Patrick Ogaard
Jedi Master

Post by Patrick Ogaard »

Vicious wrote:
RThurmont wrote:Interesting use of the Heinleinian "Fresher" in the Thrawn books, if that's true. The great SF author Robert A. Heinlein had developed this concept for an ultra-luxurious restroom, that was fortunately never fully described in detail, but in his typical style, "Freshers" appeared in everything he wrote.

'fresher in Star Wars simply stands for refresher unit. Sorta like 'droid is short for android. It's a fancy name for a bathroom, and they aren't necessarily luxurious. I don't think they're related to Heinlein's mega-bathrooms.
Fresher is a generic (and kind of appropriately futuristic-sounding) euphemism for a bathroom or toilet facility in SF, particularly SF dating from the '50s and '60s. Just read about any spacefaring Andre Norton SF, for instance. Heinlein, Asimov, Norton et al were, at the time, marketed heavily to juvenile audiences, and it would have been dreadfully immoral, corrupting and downright communist to write that the protagonist went to the toilet before his adventures. Thus the fresher, AKA refresher.

Of course, a useful medication for fighter pilots would be a pair of pills: one to temporarily and hamrlessly stop peristalsis, and one to get it going again when facilities are available.
omegaLancer
Jedi Knight

Post by omegaLancer »

Patrick Ogaard wrote:
Vicious wrote:

Fresher is a generic (and kind of appropriately futuristic-sounding) euphemism for a bathroom or toilet facility in SF, particularly SF dating from the '50s and '60s. Just read about any spacefaring Andre Norton SF, for instance. Heinlein, Asimov, Norton et al were, at the time, marketed heavily to juvenile audiences, and it would have been dreadfully immoral, corrupting and downright communist to write that the protagonist went to the toilet before his adventures. Thus the fresher, AKA refresher.

Of course, a useful medication for fighter pilots would be a pair of pills: one to temporarily and hamrlessly stop peristalsis, and one to get it going again when facilities are available.
And what about the need of food and water, or do the pilots chew on Jetson type food pills?
Father, father when will these 8 hours ever end?

Omega lancer last of high guard. Keeper of the Common wealth ship yards
http://www.xsorbit2.com/users/higuardshipard/index.cgi
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Simple; something like our 'energy bar'. Probably its ingredients are chosen so that they basically take a long time to process through the digestive system; as for water/fluids, well, the catheter's a simple enough concept... :wink:
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Sr.mal
Jedi Knight

Post by Sr.mal »

Mange the Swede wrote:
Cpl Kendall wrote:Whats this Ewok Pit Problem they keep bringing up? And thanks for the Thrawn book tidbit Noble Ire.
According to the ROTJ novelization, an AT-ST toppled over after having stepped into a pit that had been digged by the Ewoks. Some of the pro-Trek debaters argues that the time needed to dig those pits by the Ewoks would've taken days (together with the other preparations that was made before the Ewok attack).
A man can dig a very big hole in an hour. Several men can dig an huge hole in the same ammount of time.
Ever since I was a scumdog, I blew a cum-wad.
I need a mother-fucking suckadickalickalong
A drunk, a pervert, a junkie and a sodimizer.
But you can call me the salaminizer
-The Salaminzer by GWAR
Typhonis 1
Rabid Monkey Scientist
Location: deep within a secret cloning lab hidden in the brotherhood of the monkey thread

Post by Typhonis 1 »

Why would the Imperials notiece the Ewoks doing ANYTHING nearby ?? They are animals to the imps heck the stormtroopers could have been looking at them as they dug a pit or two and commented on the "Dumb animals" Nothing noteworthy to report ....
Brotherhood of the Bear Monkey Clonemaster , Anti Care Bears League,
Bureaucrat and BOFH of the HAB,
Skunk Works director of the Mecha Maniacs,
Black Mage,

I AM BACK! let the SCIENCE commence!
NRS Guardian
Jedi Knight

Post by NRS Guardian »

The X-wing novels say that starfighters don't do combat hyper-jumps of more than a few hours, if they can help it, because of the cramped, uncomfortable nature of sitting in a starfighter for long periods. Also, the novels say that for jumps of more than a few hours starfighters will stay inside their motherships until they either arrive at the battle or launch at an assembly just before the final jump to the battle. The reason the Rebels and NR do this is so the pilots are as sharp, fresh, and rested as possible, which improves their survival because a tired, cramped pilot is going to be at a disadvantage against a fresh pilot. Considering the importance of the Battle of Endor its safe to assume the Rebels would want their pilots in the best condition possible. Which suggests that Sullust was considered close enough to be an assembly point. Which means it should be only a few hours at most from Endor by hyper.
"It is not necessary to hope in order to persevere."
-William of Nassau, Prince of Orange

Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 2.10
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

NRS Guardian wrote:The X-wing novels say that starfighters don't do combat hyper-jumps of more than a few hours, if they can help it, because of the cramped, uncomfortable nature of sitting in a starfighter for long periods. Also, the novels say that for jumps of more than a few hours starfighters will stay inside their motherships until they either arrive at the battle or launch at an assembly just before the final jump to the battle. The reason the Rebels and NR do this is so the pilots are as sharp, fresh, and rested as possible, which improves their survival because a tired, cramped pilot is going to be at a disadvantage against a fresh pilot. Considering the importance of the Battle of Endor its safe to assume the Rebels would want their pilots in the best condition possible. Which suggests that Sullust was considered close enough to be an assembly point. Which means it should be only a few hours at most from Endor by hyper.
I've read the thread in question, and this argument was brought up by the Cpl.
It was countered with the idiotic notion that after sleeping for two weeks in a starfighter cockpit, the loss of performance would be "neglible" or "slight". Obviously, none of these guys have ever took a nine hour aircraft/train/bus trip (which, for all practical purposes, is similar to their concept of "jump into hyperspace, sleep for two weeks". Except that mass transport is more comfortable than a fighter cockpit)