Sub-megaton Photon Torps.

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

BLACKSUN2000
Youngling

Sub-megaton Photon Torps.

Post by BLACKSUN2000 »

I'm currently in a debate and the yield of photon torps has come up. Naturally some people are wanking high numbers but I seem to recall that there were various canon examples that photon torps were actually sub-megaton and low megatons tops.

I know that 64 megatons is the accepted yield...well before the innefficiency and omnidirectional blast is taken into consideration. But I need to know some of the episodes or movies where the low yields are shown.

If anyone could help I would be much obliged.
Even if I go to hell, I will live to the end of this world. And if the world does not come to an end... I will destroy it with my own hands!-Lacan

Yes, we will destroy god. That is our purpose... That is our destiny!-Grahf
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Re: Sub-megaton Photon Torps.

Post by Batman »

Actually, 64MT is from the by now totally noncanon TNG TM and even THERE that yield is never actually stated.
If you want to be cruel, ST V, where a photorp casing dropped from orbit with no payload whatsoever would have done massively more damage than what we saw.
TNG's 'Pegasus'. Dialogue, but works out to about 450KT.
ST VI. Cannonball torpedoes.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
BLACKSUN2000
Youngling

Post by BLACKSUN2000 »

Thanks bats, i'll let 'em have it, one imperial smackdown coming up...

If you find any other examples please post it.
Even if I go to hell, I will live to the end of this world. And if the world does not come to an end... I will destroy it with my own hands!-Lacan

BLACKSUN2000
Youngling

Post by BLACKSUN2000 »

Sorry for the doublepost...but wasn't there evidence that the photorp used at the end of TNG:"Skin of Evil" was pretty low?

Also the DS9:"The Die Is Cast" wasn't it shown that the combined fleet effort was a sub-megaton attack?

Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

TNG episode "Genesis" - photon torpedoes are being test fired with 11% greater yield than normal manage to do nothing more than fragment tiny asteroids that are little bigger than the torpedoes themselves.

And moving this to ST vs SW, since its about a debate.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

Batman wrote:Actually, 64MT is from the by now totally noncanon TNG TM and even THERE that yield is never actually stated.
If you want to be cruel, ST V, where a photorp casing dropped from orbit with no payload whatsoever would have done massively more damage than what we saw.
TNG's 'Pegasus'. Dialogue, but works out to about 450KT.
ST VI. Cannonball torpedoes.
Yeah, that example is cruel alright. You can take Batman's retarded advice and use that STV example, and then be viewed as an idiot.

Kirk obviously didn't want to die. Sulu obviously didn't want to kill Kirk. We know that photon torpedoes can be controlled. As Batman points out the torpedo did less damage then had it simply be dropped from orbit. Thus, it was obviously slowed down.
Milites Astrum Exterminans
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Kamakazie Sith wrote:
Kirk obviously didn't want to die. Sulu obviously didn't want to kill Kirk. We know that photon torpedoes can be controlled. As Batman points out the torpedo did less damage then had it simply be dropped from orbit. Thus, it was obviously slowed down.
Um-no.There's exactly ZERO evidence for them going out of their way to reduce torpedo firepower (I happen to agree with your reasoning on WHY they would do so but there's no actual EVIDENCE for that.) For all we know Kirk was perfectly happy to die if that's what it took. He has been on numerous occasions before afterall.Not that there's an actual established yield for TOS photorps to begin with.
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Azron_Stoma
Padawan Learner

Post by Azron_Stoma »

I think a counter to the "low yield" BS excuse for the various lower end Torpedo hits is that, in many cases, if not every case, Phasers would have been more than sufficient to acheive the observed results, without wasting torpedo ammunition.

Voyager's "Alliances" shows not one, not two, but three photon torpedoes hit a Kazon ship, in atmosphere, hovering 2-3 stories over a city, and the blasts were positively tiny.

This was of course where Voyager's torpedo cache was rather limited, and replacing them wasn't so simple as just heading over to the nearest starbase.

so why fire low yield torpedoes x 3 when, under their claims, a few phaser hits would have sufficed.
Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

Post by Captain Seafort »

Batman wrote:Um-no.There's exactly ZERO evidence for them going out of their way to reduce torpedo firepower
Yes there is. From the script:
KIRK
(into his communicator)
Kirk to Enterprise. Listen carefully...

*Sybok attacks the alien*

KIRK
(into his communicator;
desperate)
Enterprise... are you ready?

239 INT. ENTERPRISE - BRIDGE 239

SULU
In firing position. Torpedo armed.

CHEKOV
But Captain, we're firing directly
on your position.

KIRK'S VOICE
Send it down Mister Chekov -- now!
We never heard what exactly Kirk was telling them to do, but "listen carefully" suggests that it was a lot more complicated than simply ordering a torpedo strike, such as removing the antimatter and using the torp as a KE weapon at less than terminal velocity to avoid incinerating Kirk and co.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Hasn’t it been mentioned more then once that anti matter is only loaded into the torpedoes just before they fire them? If so, that’d provide a ready mechanize by which to vary yield, and different models of torpedo could easily have different max capacities.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Batman wrote:Um-no.There's exactly ZERO evidence for them going out of their way to reduce torpedo firepower
Yes there is. From the script:
Which ISN'T canon.
We never heard what exactly Kirk was telling them to do, but "listen carefully" suggests that it was a lot more complicated than simply ordering a torpedo strike,
Suggests and SOMEHOW.
such as removing the antimatter and using the torp as a KE weapon at less than terminal velocity to avoid incinerating Kirk and co.
Which, alas, was never ever mentioned in the actual movie. For all we know Kirk told them about the eating habits of his diabetic beagle.
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

I'm not debating that photorps are dial-a-yield, we already know that, I'm not even debating that the ST V torpedo might have been a deliberate low yield one (as far as I'm concerned that hit NEVER HAPPENED because everything past the camping trip was a hallucination) but IF it was a genuine photon torpedo impact, UNTIL we determine it was a deliberate pathetic yield one, it STANDS as a pathetic yield one.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Yeah, that example is cruel alright. You can take Batman's retarded advice and use that STV example, and then be viewed as an idiot.

I think the tactics of debate are relevant in this case. If some fuckwit appeals to Slave I's tail guns on the AotC platform as an upper limit on their firepower, the ST5 torpedo yield is very helpful - it helps to throw their own shit back in their faces and make people see their hypocrisy.
BLACKSUN2000
Youngling

Post by BLACKSUN2000 »

Update on the Debate:

After presenting the Evidence that Vympel and Bats so kindly donated, the trektard ran off with his tail between his legs.

Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

Batman wrote: Which ISN'T canon.
You realize that the script made it into the movie, right? Kirk does say "Listen carefully". :roll:
Which, alas, was never ever mentioned in the actual movie. For all we know Kirk told them about the eating habits of his diabetic beagle.
Yet, they weren't killed. You even said the casing simply falling from orbit should have done more damage. What does occams razor tell you? That torpedoes are so weak that they bend the laws of physics or that the crew did something.
I'm not debating that photorps are dial-a-yield, we already know that, I'm not even debating that the ST V torpedo might have been a deliberate low yield one (as far as I'm concerned that hit NEVER HAPPENED because everything past the camping trip was a hallucination) but IF it was a genuine photon torpedo impact, UNTIL we determine it was a deliberate pathetic yield one, it STANDS as a pathetic yield one.
Unconvincing. When you do so you completely ignore on screen evidence of other torpedo impacts. Even simple fireball impacts off the hulls of starships are larger than what we got out of STV. Your own opinion on what should have happened if the torpedo were dropped also spits in the face of your argument here.
Vympel wrote: I think the tactics of debate are relevant in this case. If some fuckwit appeals to Slave I's tail guns on the AotC platform as an upper limit on their firepower, the ST5 torpedo yield is very helpful - it helps to throw their own shit back in their faces and make people see their hypocrisy.
Why are they relevant in this case. The OP asked for examples of low yield torpedo firepower. He did not mention that his opponents were attempting to use the AOTC example as proof that SW weapons are inferior. I mean if they are trying to make that claim then yeah shove STV down their throat.

I find it annoying when people use poor dishonest arguments in STvsSW debates when there is a plethora of information and honest examples. TNG "Pegasus" is probably the best example you can get because it involves a situation where they would want to deliver as much firepower as possible in the shortest amount of time.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Why are they relevant in this case.
Poor wording. What I meant was that STV is only useful as a tactical measure in response to another's stupidity.
takemeout_totheblack
Padawan Learner
Location: Knowing where you are is no fun! Back to adventure!

Post by takemeout_totheblack »

Where's a good forum for observing trektards in their natural habitat, they seem to get picked off by the predators who lurk this forum. Could someone please help me in my quest to observe these evolutionary throwbacks?

As per the thread topic:
what about First Contact? We see a bunch of photorps hit the cube and they barely fizzle! Adaption or not, an antimatter reaction is still going make shit happen unless they're pathetically weak!
There should be an official metric in regard to stupidity, so we can insult the imbeciles, morons, and RSAs out there the civilized way.
Any ideas for units of measure?

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali fought a 80-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire earth was destroyed.
~George Foreman, February 27th 3000 C.E.
Aaron
Blackpowder Man

Post by Aaron »

M1891/30: A bad day on the range is better then a good day at work.
BLACKSUN2000
Youngling

Post by BLACKSUN2000 »

Star Fleet Jedi...

Yeah if you wan't to find irrideemable trektards, that's one of THE places to go.

WARNING: The stupid burns. :banghead:

Norade
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norade »

Oh fuck, a few minutes and I nearly signed up. Then I realized that you can't change people like that and seeing many names from this site so hated there I gave up on even trying... That is truly a scary place even for the internet.
School requires more work than I remember it taking...
Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

Norade wrote:Oh fuck, a few minutes and I nearly signed up. Then I realized that you can't change people like that and seeing many names from this site so hated there I gave up on even trying... That is truly a scary place even for the internet.
What did you see over there that was so scary?
Norade
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norade »

Kamakazie Sith wrote:
Norade wrote:Oh fuck, a few minutes and I nearly signed up. Then I realized that you can't change people like that and seeing many names from this site so hated there I gave up on even trying... That is truly a scary place even for the internet.
What did you see over there that was so scary?
Mainly the way they treat cannon, seem to think that Mike and Curtis worked on the ICS together to win the debate so they can throw it out when debating, they way they have a hate out for generally respected members of this board... It's more of the sort of scary that is funny to make an over exaggerated one-off post about than anything though.
School requires more work than I remember it taking...
Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

Norade wrote:
Mainly the way they treat cannon, seem to think that Mike and Curtis worked on the ICS together to win the debate so they can throw it out when debating, they way they have a hate out for generally respected members of this board... It's more of the sort of scary that is funny to make an over exaggerated one-off post about than anything though.
Yeah, they use remarks by Lucas as their foundation for their stance on Star Wars canon. As for their opinions on Mike and Curtis, and other members of this board it is because Star Trek is personal to them and because it is personal they'll do whatever they can to get what appears to be the upperhand. The other reason is probably because from their point of view they have been treated poorly by Mike and other members of this board. Combine those two and the only result you get is hate.

As for their arguments. Those type of arguments aren't reserved just for trekkies. I've seen warsies make equally absurd arguments. One warsie on SB once argued that a group of space flight capable F-22s with their standard armament could take down the Enterprise E. I wish I could remember his handle, but he held that belief because he was passionate in his dislike for Trek.
lord Martiya
Jedi Master

Post by lord Martiya »

Kamakazie Sith wrote:One warsie on SB once argued that a group of space flight capable F-22s with their standard armament could take down the Enterprise E.
But he's right: seeing them attacking, the helm officer will laugh so hard that he'll crash the ship by accident.
BLACKSUN2000
Youngling

Post by BLACKSUN2000 »

Yeah, they use remarks by Lucas as their foundation for their stance on Star Wars canon.
Which is pretty stupid for numerous reasons.
As for their opinions on Mike and Curtis, and other members of this board it is because Star Trek is personal to them and because it is personal they'll do whatever they can to get what appears to be the upperhand.
WTF? So they'll stoop so low as to bash Saxton and lie about his numbers just because they want Trek to win at all costs? Sad.

As for the arguments I've seen my share of incredibly stupid comments from both sides, however the trektard arguments usually take the cake.

Don't ask about the ones I have heard they aren't pretty.