using surgical/double agent tatics does st stand a chance???

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

HolyReaperX01
Redshirt

using surgical/double agent tatics does st stand a chance???

Post by HolyReaperX01 »

myself being a major stargate fan have come to appreciate the military capabilities of a civilisation w/ inferior technology vs. a civilisation w/ superior technology if allainces are made with the right people and the right tatics are use...

in my opinion the only real use of the federation would be to distract the Empire and use their peace-making skills to ally the rebels...the real fighting force would be left to the klingons and romulans....possibly w/ the borg trying to assimulate everyone both sw and st... the klingons and romulans would probably make some superweapons[at least in st standards] and amass a large fleet[again in st standards] the romulans going for the strategical points of conflict while the klingons[with there whole honor system and everything] would distract the Empire w/ a full on assualt...the Federation would work w/ the rebellion while simultaniously trying to negoitiate w/ the Empire...now i believe w/ that st stilll doesn't stand a chance worth sh*t but but it's better than what the trekkie fantasy people come up w/...
"Railguns are neat and all...but i'm still not joining the army until they invent the respawn point"
Kartr_Kana
Jedi Knight

Re: using surgical/double agent tatics does st stand a chance???

Post by Kartr_Kana »

they're not a distraction they're the bug on the windshield. Same goes for the Klingons, Romulans and everyone else.

The Romulans lack the speed to do any sort of surgical strikes and that's even if their cloak works. That is highly unlikely since subspace sensors we're last used IIRC by Xim the Despot, and have been replaced by even more powerful sensor systems.

The Klingons suffer the same cloaking problem and rush into massed turbolaser fire and are promptly atomized.

The Feddies abhor the Empire and it's capitalism, not to mention it's warlike nature. Plus they're not to happy about the slavery and genocide either. The Empire sees the UFP as a small sector state easily gobbled up for it's resources.

About the only thing the ST universe is good for is giving the Rebels another place to hid and a recruitment base.

"Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any AMERICA because some foreign soldier will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!"
LT. GEN. LEWIS "CHESTY" PULLER, USMC
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

HolyReaperX01 wrote:myself being a major stargate fan have come to appreciate the military capabilities of a civilisation w/ inferior technology vs. a civilisation w/ superior technology if allainces are made with the right people and the right tatics are use...
Yeah, look at how the Arabs wiped out Israel. Wait a second...
Try breaking out a history book instead of a TV space opera. I haven't even read the rest of your post yet, this bit was just so dumb it needed to be smacked around first.
in my opinion the only real use of the federation would be to distract the Empire and use their peace-making skills to ally the rebels...the real fighting force would be left to the klingons and romulans....possibly w/ the borg trying to assimulate everyone both sw and st... the klingons and romulans would probably make some superweapons[at least in st standards] and amass a large fleet[again in st standards] the romulans going for the strategical points of conflict while the klingons[with there whole honor system and everything] would distract the Empire w/ a full on assualt...the Federation would work w/ the rebellion while simultaniously trying to negoitiate w/ the Empire...now i believe w/ that st stilll doesn't stand a chance worth sh*t but but it's better than what the trekkie fantasy people come up w/...
I fail to see why over running the Klingons or Romulans would be any more difficult for the Empire than it would be for them to take out the Federation. I think you do not grasp the difference in scale or capabilities here. Try reading this and understand that this is a comparison to a troop transport and a top of the line ST warship. SW warships are literally thousands of times more powerful than their transports, so the disparity is even worse.
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est
Samuel
Sith Marauder

Post by Samuel »

myself being a major stargate fan have come to appreciate the military capabilities of a civilisation w/ inferior technology vs. a civilisation w/ superior technology if allainces are made with the right people and the right tatics are use...
You mean with sides that have tech parity like the Asgard?

Of course, as Ender stated, the Egyptians did that with the Soviets (to fight Isreal) and it didn't work so well.
in my opinion the only real use of the federation would be to distract the Empire and use their peace-making skills to ally the rebels
How are they even going to learn about their existance?
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

How is Stargate even an analogy to this conflict? The underlying strategic realities are completely different, and have nothing to do with some sort of inherent capabilities of lower tech civs vs. more advanced opponents...
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

HolyReaperX01 wrote:myself being a major stargate fan have come to appreciate the military capabilities of a civilisation w/ inferior technology vs. a civilisation w/ superior technology if allainces are made with the right people and the right tatics are use...
Err. Ignoring that Stargate is fiction, not reality... Those guys have survived through sheer luck, divine intervention (Anubis) and the aid of enemies far more developed than their antagonists.

What's more, in a good number of the alternate realities shown, Earth gets conquered.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
lord Martiya
Jedi Master

Post by lord Martiya »

Sorry, but Tau'ri in the beginning would stand no chance, if Goa'uld bothered to attack Earth (when Apophis DID, in Within the Serpent's Grasp and The Serpent's Lair, Tau'ri succeeded only for a combination of sheer luck and gross understimation by Apophis's part, while in another timeline, where the SG-1 mission didn't happened, he was literally slaughtering Earth forces). After that, they were covered for a while by the Asgard, and when a Goa'uld attacked again they were in technological PARITY, thanks to Asgard help. I admit that loyalist Jaffas tactics were DUMB, but if the dumb part can blast you from orbit and you have nothing that can harm his starships, your dumb enemy will always win unless of a miracle.
HolyReaperX01 wrote:in my opinion the only real use of the federation would be to distract the Empire and use their peace-making skills to ally the rebels...
Beginning a prime target. It would be a GREAT USE of peace-making skills, even if the Rebels would not be disgusted by the Federation.
HolyReaperX01 wrote:the real fighting force would be left to the klingons and romulans....possibly w/ the borg trying to assimulate everyone both sw and st...
The Borg would probably do that, but they would have BIG problems with Imperial firepower.
HolyReaperX01 wrote:the klingons and romulans would probably make some superweapons[at least in st standards] and amass a large fleet[again in st standards] the romulans going for the strategical points of conflict while the klingons[with there whole honor system and everything] would distract the Empire w/ a full on assualt...
And every Imperial commander would use its superior shields, armor, firepower and sensors to blow up every 'superweapon' or large fleet.
HolyReaperX01 wrote:the Federation would work w/ the rebellion while simultaniously trying to negoitiate w/ the Empire...
If Rebellion was not disgusted by various characteristic of Federation society (repression of free thinking and free market, transporters that effectively kills and copy people, maybe the attempted genocide of the Founders and that little ruse to drag the Romulan Star Empire in the Dominion War, if they discover those two facts) and not decided that the Empire is better, the Federation would be wiped out in the same moment the Empire had suspects of this alliance.
HolyReaperX01 wrote:now i believe w/ that st stilll doesn't stand a chance worth sh*t but but it's better than what the trekkie fantasy people come up w/...
I don't see the difference.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

lord Martiya wrote: Sorry, but Tau'ri in the beginning would stand no chance, if Goa'uld bothered to attack Earth (when Apophis DID, in Within the Serpent's Grasp and The Serpent's Lair, Tau'ri succeeded only for a combination of sheer luck and gross understimation by Apophis's part, while in another timeline, where the SG-1 mission didn't happened, he was literally slaughtering Earth forces).
If we're comparing the two strategic realities, you can't fail to point out the obvious fact that SGC could easily block the enemy's fastest transportation system (the stargate) with a simple addition of the iris, and our ground weapons were able to slaughter Jaffa en masse, allowing SGC to actually carry out their reconeissance missions. Furthermore, thanks in no small part to the above two matters, Earth actually can offer something to defecting Jaffa (a safe haven) and get an opportunity to study and replicate goa'uld technology thanks to their ability to outmaneuver the bugs.

The federation doesn't have any of these advantages. They can't cut off the Empire through a chokepoint, they can't outmaneuver and study them, and they can't easily gain samples of their tech. Using one show as a benchmark of how things would go in another is completely pointless.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
lord Martiya
Jedi Master

Post by lord Martiya »

I know of the advantages that the SGC had against the Goa'uld (the iris, ground weapons meant to kill vs weapons meant to scare scientifically ignorant people, ability to outmanouver the Goa'uld and study them and their technology), I didn't pointed out them because at the time of The Serpent's Lair Apophis could still win bombing Earth from orbit, as apparently was doing his counterpart from the alternate reality in There But for the Grace of God (I remember a reference to those bombing). And I know that my operation was pointless, I simply love debunking dumb arguments using their bases.
HolyReaperX01
Redshirt

Post by HolyReaperX01 »

i never said that the st universe would do much better but u have to admit my stratagies are better than what trekkies would come up w/ like finding the isd's vunerable shield frequencys and tuning the transporter system to it and beaming photon torpedoes or some technobabble like that and w/ the whole stargate thing i wasn't trying to compare the two i was simply making a point that it is possible[thought not very pluasible] for inferiors to gain a foothold somewhere among the many footholds the superior have[even if it's something as old and "primitive as deception"] and personally i agree w/ u all the st galaxy would hold for maybe a week if that...maybe a better question would be how much longer would they last if they used tatics instead of fantasy story scripts...
"Railguns are neat and all...but i'm still not joining the army until they invent the respawn point"
Kartr_Kana
Jedi Knight

Post by Kartr_Kana »

No you're not rehashing the stupidity of many Trekkies, but you are still mired in the same stupidity that the ST universe is anything more than an interesting insect to be crushed on a whim by the Empire.

Star Gate is completely lucky and they have an ally who is so technologically superior that they can protect planets in the milky way while they themselves are fighting a war for survival in their own galaxy! ST has nothing like that, even if they did ally with the Rebels. You pointing out that as an "example" makes no sense at all. And you'd be better off looking for real world examples that actually happened instead of fictional ones that happen because that's what the writers want to happen.

"Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any AMERICA because some foreign soldier will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!"
LT. GEN. LEWIS "CHESTY" PULLER, USMC
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Just locking because it's fucking absurd reading your drivel and lack of knowledge of how to even try to write in the English language.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete