Emperor Spock

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

keen320
Youngling

Emperor Spock

Post by keen320 »

There is a storyline in DS9 (I read about it, though didn't watch it) that says that after the Star Trek episode "Mirror, Mirror" Spock becomes emperor of the Terran Empire. Apparently his reform minded leadership causes the Terran Empire to fall because of invasion by it's neighbors.

While not canon, there is a Star Trek novel, The Sorrows of Empire, that expands on this and describes Spock's rise to power and reign. It describes how he attains power through utter ruthlessness, cunning, and the use of the Tantulus device, a weapon he stole from the mirror Kirk which can spy on and kill anyone, at any distance, through any known shielding or barrier, and with no trace. The mirror Spock works to reform the Terran Empire by first consolidating his power (so ruthlessly he kills his mother to prevent her from betraying him), and then gradually working toward reforms. The book also claims that the fall of the Terran Empire was all some sort of grand plan to sow the seeds of democratic government that would cause rebellions that would destroy all the tyrannical governments he knew would conquer the Empire. He actively sets up an organization in secret bases across the galaxy to some day advance this goal. His plan further shows his ruthlessness because he knows that humans, vulcans, and other races will be enslaved by the empire's conquerors for several hundred years.

So lets pretend that the events of the book are true (I know they aren't canon, but they make for an interesting discussion and otherwise there would be nothing to go on), and Spock, his wife Marlena, and the Tantulus device came into the Star Wars universe around 10 BBY, and Spock spends some time coming up with a plan before he uses the Tantulus device to kill Emperor Palpatine and take over the Empire.

Taking into account how much more ruthless he is than normal Spock, what might happen if:
a) Spock decides to reform the Empire, but the rebellion doesn't know this and opposes him, as do some Imperial forces.

b) Spock learns of the future Yhuzan Vong invasion (Outbound Flight suggests Emperor Palpatine did) and decides the Empire may be necessary to resist them, so decides to put off fully reforming the Empire to maintain a militarily strong state.

All Hail Emperor Spock! :D (that would be so cool to hear in a movie)
Temujin
Jedi Master

Re: Emperor Spock

Post by Temujin »

The Tantulus device sounds like it's written to have a no limits fallacy. In the original episode, it seemed like it was an advanced piece of technology that was tied into the ship's systems.

Anyway, while Spock might kill the Emperor, I don't think it would be that easy to take his place. And the Tantulus device won't stop the Empire (or the Rebels) from blasting the Terran Empire into oblivion if they decide to.
Mr. Harley: Your impatience is quite understandable.
Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry... I wish it were otherwise.

"I do know that for the sympathy of one living being, I would make peace with all. I have love in me the likes of which you can scarcely imagine and rage the likes of which you would not believe.
If I cannot satisfy the one, I will indulge the other." – Frankenstein's Creature on the glacier[/size]
keen320
Youngling

Post by keen320 »

This is just Spock working with his wife, not the whole Terran Empire. And I suppose it would be more difficult to replace the Emperor than just kill him. That's why I said he'd have years to do it. He could, perhaps, rise through the ranks of the Imperial navy until he had a respectable power base. Then he could make his move. If he wiped out the Emperor and every guard in the Palace, though, as well as anyone else who might oppose him, he would have a chance of success. Probably most of the Empire would go along with whoever was in control of Coruscant, seeing as there is no real order of succession to the Emperor. Spock might have needed some time to crush uprisings, however. Doesn't really matter, as the OP assumes he has already gained power by some means.

Also, while the device would need a power source, it isn't exclusively hardwired into the ship. It can be moved somewhere else and reinstalled, and is even small enough to be moved rather covertly (in, say, a medium sized crate). It's only real limit is that you have to know who your enemies are and at least their general location if you want to spy on or kill them.

I suppose it's a bit overpowered to have Spock sitting around with the Tantalus device afterwords, though? In case A, he might destroy the device to ensure that his state will truly reform and not run on terror. He did this in the novel after several years. In case B, I suppose we could assume it is destroyed (perhaps in an attempted assassination) after he has consolidated his power. Also, in either case he might destroy it to stop it from ever falling into the wrong hands, like a Sith (that would be kinda bad).
Sela
Padawan Learner

Post by Sela »

Check me on this, but don't we know that Sith's already have Tantalus-field level power? Perhaps not every last one of them, but if I recall there is reference in the EU to sith that used the force to destroy distant planets.
There is no surer aphrodisiac to a man than a woman who is interested in him.
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

Temujin wrote:Anyway, while Spock might kill the Emperor, I don't think it would be that easy to take his place. And the Tantulus device won't stop the Empire (or the Rebels) from blasting the Terran Empire into oblivion if they decide to.
I believe some novels (the Zahn novels, maybe) strongly imply that the Emperor deliberately set up the Imperial structure so that it would fall apart without him. By design, there is no clear line of succession, resulting in power struggles between the Moffs and other Imperial officials, leading to a disintegrating Empire. Presumably the idea was to discourage assassination attempts by rebellious underlings, although it may have been intended to leave a power vacuum that one of his clone reincarnations could fill.
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"
Lord_Kosh
Redshirt

Post by Lord_Kosh »

I still don't know how Spock would kill the Emperor... Green Blood, meet blood red lightsaber. Yoda couldn't best him in ROTS... Palpatine was a Sith Lord, and a good one, being right beside Yoda, and Mace, the whole time. How would Mr. Spock make it close enough to the Emperor to kill him?
"Knowledge is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth."
"Don't underestimate the power of the force"
"We live for the one, we die for the one"
"I find your lack of faith disturbing"
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Well, assuming that this Mirror Spock has already had the mind meld with Trek universe McCoy, and actually has the stated goal of improving the situation by seeing that there is a possible better world, he'll start building a network. Since he has no home planet of Vulcan in this galaxy, he'll find some planet and either start becoming a local political figure, or he'll become part of the Imperial war machine and gain followers there through his morale improving crew relations and logical ways to approach situations, not to mention any enemy combatant will lose their captain and the rest of their crew once they're within range of the Tantalus device. This will give Spock ample promotion material with his ability to capture ships without firing a shot.

I see him and Thrawn getting along rather well if they ever encounter each other.

FYI, Sorrows of Empire is my favorite Trek book.